Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? 10:33 - May 17 with 8367 viewsLeeBrookfield

Been looking at Dales transfers recently and found a striker called Akeel Francis. Apparently we got him on a free from Wrexham in 2018/19 season under Keith Hill.
Who is the most obscure signing you know about ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/akeel-francis/profil/spieler/550648
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:38 - May 18 with 2658 views49thseason

Didnt Jesus come from the Manchester University team on trial? I was hopiing he was a goalkeeper ...Headline in Observer.." Jesus saves" rather like the board outside a chuch in Liverpool under which some scouse wag added "And Keegan scores from the rebound"
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 13:07 - May 18 with 2600 viewsLaveritty

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 11:11 - May 18 by ChaffRAFC

Joel Taylor - now at Chesterfield having joined from Chester in December

Thanks - that was the chap. Just googled him to confirm. Presumed at the time that he he got subbed off because he wasn't 'following orders' as he looked a bit of a threat on the wing during his 45 minute cameo appearance but we were never to see him in a Dale shirt again!

Just found this via wikipedia from the days when we used to announce new signings...
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/january/dale-complete-the-loan-signing-o

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 13:27 - May 18 with 2571 viewspioneer

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:38 - May 18 by 49thseason

Didnt Jesus come from the Manchester University team on trial? I was hopiing he was a goalkeeper ...Headline in Observer.." Jesus saves" rather like the board outside a chuch in Liverpool under which some scouse wag added "And Keegan scores from the rebound"

I thinkthe original version was.

Jesus saves but St John scores from the rebound
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 13:36 - May 18 with 2548 viewsD_Alien

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:38 - May 18 by 49thseason

Something like that. It was the puns around his time with Dale that stuck in my memory, rather than the player who i doubt there's even an online image of - that's pretty obscure!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 13:48 - May 18 with 2502 viewsfitzochris

Chris Armstrong. Was with us for about two minutes during Parkin's second spell. Did the pre-season tour of Scotland but never made it home - joining Queen of the South.

And no, YD, he wasn't a "random jock".

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 14:06 - May 18 with 2456 views49thseason

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 13:27 - May 18 by pioneer

I thinkthe original version was.

Jesus saves but St John scores from the rebound

Well remembered, you must be older than me!
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 14:24 - May 18 with 2430 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Simon Hackney. Arrived, got injured and that was it.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 14:35 - May 18 with 2415 viewsAtThePeake

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 14:24 - May 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Simon Hackney. Arrived, got injured and that was it.

Saw him playing for Trafford a couple of seasons later. He was woeful.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 15:31 - May 18 with 2328 viewsdale18

Sean McGinty. He made just 1 appearance during the 2013/14 promotion season
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 15:38 - May 18 with 2309 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 14:35 - May 18 by AtThePeake

Saw him playing for Trafford a couple of seasons later. He was woeful.

If I recall we even offered him a deal after he recovered and in a Ben Muirhead stylee way he turned it down only to end up in non-league.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 15:43 - May 18 with 2296 viewsTomRAFC

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:23 - May 18 by D_Alien

Kitching also scored a cracking equalizer from the edge of the box at the Sandy Lane end in the evening fixture against Doncaster, who'd held onto a 0-1 lead for most of the match

His goal came around the 90th minute. Steven Davies went on to score the winner in added time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, does no-one recall Hilly taking a player on trial called Jesus? Never made an appearance*

* all possible permutations of humorous remarks were made at the time...

Simpson signed a midfielder called Jesus Fernandez Mengual, who had been on trial at Oldham.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:34 - May 18 with 2167 viewsArthurDaley

Dave Sutton signing the next Paul Gascoigne. Trevor Snowden. ( think that's what he was called )

A large VAT Dave

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:41 - May 18 with 2153 viewsSuddenLad

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:34 - May 18 by ArthurDaley

Dave Sutton signing the next Paul Gascoigne. Trevor Snowden. ( think that's what he was called )

Snazza - as he was nicknamed. Sank without a trace.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:53 - May 18 with 2141 viewsQuigley_dale

Angola's finest - David Kuagcia...and another of Eyre's inspired signings (didn't even play).
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:14 - May 18 with 2069 viewsboromat

Both Jordan Rhodes and Brett Ormerod played games for us which I always forget. Both played 5 games Rhodes scored 2 Brett scored once.

I think one month loans must have been more common back then?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:23 - May 18 with 2053 viewspioneer

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:14 - May 18 by boromat

Both Jordan Rhodes and Brett Ormerod played games for us which I always forget. Both played 5 games Rhodes scored 2 Brett scored once.

Yes often used for covering for short term injured players. When the limit on number of loans came in you could no longer risk using up these spots for short term loans. I dont think there was any formal restriction on short term loans but I may be wrong.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 01:08 - May 19 with 1944 viewsAtThePeake

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:23 - May 18 by pioneer

Yes often used for covering for short term injured players. When the limit on number of loans came in you could no longer risk using up these spots for short term loans. I dont think there was any formal restriction on short term loans but I may be wrong.

Believe all loans have to end during a transfer window now - aside from emergency loans.

Paul Marshall is another one, made one sub appearance under Eyre in 2011. No prizes for guessing which team's youth academy he had come through.

Tangled up in blue.

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 11:02 - May 22 with 1555 viewsLeeBrookfield

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:14 - May 18 by boromat

Would have loved Rhodes to of signed permanent.
He went onto Huddersfield and lit the place up.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 17:58 - May 22 with 1416 viewselectricblue

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:41 - May 18 by SuddenLad

Snazza - as he was nicknamed. Sank without a trace.

He will still be stood on the corner of willbus n pearl street having a crafty fag......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 00:24 - May 23 with 1295 viewsFrog

Tony Towner, I thought he would rip sides apart down the right wing. 5 appearances and that was it. Don't know if what injuries or not?
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 06:55 - May 23 with 1248 viewsrichfoad32

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 00:24 - May 23 by Frog

Tony Towner, I thought he would rip sides apart down the right wing. 5 appearances and that was it. Don't know if what injuries or not?

Tony Towner was my removals man a few years ago when I moved house. Didn't realise he'd even played for Dale (before my time), and he didn't mention it but he did talk about his time at Brighton. Liked to chat and he was a nice guy.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 11:09 - May 23 with 1131 viewsLeeBrookfield

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 00:24 - May 23 by Frog

William Mocquet looked a player on the right wing.
Played 7 games and scored one goal on loan from Netflix FC [Sunderland].

Also thought Alex Dobre did not get a fair shake and has just moved to somewhere in France for £900k

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024