Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best and worse of the area you live in. 20:29 - Jul 17 with 17371 viewsqpr_1968

Shepherds bush.

BEST...Qpr, food shops to eat from all over the world. The askew.
WORST.....Traffic, and the extortianate parking charges.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 17:35 - Jul 19 with 2482 viewshantssi

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:58 - Jul 19 by BostonR

It’s a residential area just outside Chalfont St Peter. Backs onto Gerrards Cross golf club.

DING DING DING, winner of the poshest address 😜
Sometimes used to drink around there when I first met my wife (then girlfriend) who live in Uxbridge.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:15 - Jul 19 with 2379 viewsqpr_1968

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:14 - Jul 18 by LoftusR

Crouch End

Best - good sense of community. Families tend to locate here so are open joining in stuff especially related to schools.Made some really good friends over the years. The area is really green, not only Ally Pally but Queens Wood and Highgate Wood. Good range of restaurants and pubs.

Worst - as I have three teenage kids the worst elements are the the potential drugs and gang issues. Very little police on the streets to discourage open dealing. On occasions having to go to Wood Green🙄

princess alexandra in crouch end just been on the news, one of your locals ?

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:56 - Jul 19 with 2310 viewshantssi

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:11 - Jul 18 by Konk

Ashton, Bristol BS3

Best: Massively community-minded. Loads of families with young kids, so my son has three of his best mates living within about ten doors of us. Excellent primary schools, good parks, a great high street with brilliant butchers, bakers, green grocers, hardware shop, 2 plastic-free shops, book shop, record shop, delis, toy shop and arty/homeware shops. An Aldi, Co-op, Tesco Metro and massive Sainsbury's all within a 5-10 mins walk. A nice 15 minutes walk through backstreets down to the Harbourside and all the restaurants and bars at Wapping Wharf, 20-25 mins into the commercial centre for gigs, shops, pubs etc.

Loads of good places to eat and drink in and around North Street (our high street. 15 mins walk to Ashton Court - a 900 acre country estate, and then onto Leigh Woods. which is a good spot for mountain biking. I really enjoy being able to see farm land from the end of our street. Upfest - Europe's largest Street art festival means there's some great street art everywhere you look, which brightens the place up. Ashton Gate is 5 mins away, so handy for football or rugby (not that I like rugby, but it's nice to have the option!) Bedminster Cricket club is 10 mins walk away and a lovely setting with views of the Bridge and Clifton. Got a nice old swimming pool and a great skate park at the end of North Street, and a good climbing centre five minute walk away too, so loads for kids to do activity wise. Surprisingly quiet and laid back considering how central we are. Been here almost four years and not seen a single fight or major confrontation yet.

Worst: Tagging - I hate taggers. It's everywhere. Dog shi t, parking and seagulls. Lots of dog shi t and not enough parking/too many cars. For the first week living here, seagulls made me feel like I was on holiday, but now I hate them. Public transport across the whole of Bristol is woeful and really expensive. I will never moan about any aspect of public transport in London again. Probably about a dozen regular street drinkers out of and about in small groups on the main road, whatever the weather, which is very sad to see.

Konk, which ward are you in?
My wife’s mate is MP for Bristol South.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:09 - Jul 19 with 2291 viewsBoston

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:15 - Jul 19 by qpr_1968

..and what would the youngest daughter of Princess Caroline being doing in North London?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:47 - Jul 19 with 2261 viewsBostonR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 17:35 - Jul 19 by hantssi

DING DING DING, winner of the poshest address 😜
Sometimes used to drink around there when I first met my wife (then girlfriend) who live in Uxbridge.

Little Chalfont wins that locally.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:24 - Jul 19 with 2196 viewsingeminate

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:47 - Jul 19 by BostonR

Little Chalfont wins that locally.

Romiley - Stockport

Pros - friendly, safe, affordable house prices, decent state schools. On the cusp of the Peaks, 20 mins in to Manchester.

Cons - travelled a long way to be the only R in a village, only to find out MancR lives round the corner. Plus it rains loads.

Main bug bear is Northerners can’t wait tell you they don’t mind London but couldn’t live there. I loved London, love it here too.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 21:28]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:29 - Jul 19 with 2188 viewsKonk

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:56 - Jul 19 by hantssi

Konk, which ward are you in?
My wife’s mate is MP for Bristol South.

Karin Smyth? You'll be pleased to know I voted for her at the last election (unless you don't like her, in which case, you won't be!) Seems like a good constituency MP, to me. A lot of deprivation in the constituency as well as a fair sized swathe of middle class poncery.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:34 - Jul 19 with 2184 viewshantssi

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:29 - Jul 19 by Konk

Karin Smyth? You'll be pleased to know I voted for her at the last election (unless you don't like her, in which case, you won't be!) Seems like a good constituency MP, to me. A lot of deprivation in the constituency as well as a fair sized swathe of middle class poncery.

That’s her, went to school in Uxbridge with my wife, they still keep in touch.
I’d imagine she’s a really good local MP, she’s always been very principled and has worked her way up from her student union days becoming president of the SU at UAE, local politics then on to MP.
And although I’ve not seen her for years we always got on fine even though we didn’t/don’t always agree on things.
Login to get fewer ads

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:44 - Jul 19 with 2119 viewsMick_S

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:34 - Jul 19 by hantssi

I’d imagine she’s a really good local MP, she’s always been very principled and has worked her way up from her student union days becoming president of the SU at UAE, local politics then on to MP.
And although I’ve not seen her for years we always got on fine even though we didn’t/don’t always agree on things.

Bishopshalt, hantssi?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:46 - Jul 19 with 2113 viewsKonk

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:34 - Jul 19 by hantssi

Next time your wife speaks with her, could she see if there's anything she can do about the seagulls, tagging, dog shi t, and getting some yellow lines on the corners round here? Thanks, mate. Much appreciated.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:49 - Jul 19 with 2107 viewsMick_S

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:46 - Jul 19 by Konk

Next time your wife speaks with her, could she see if there's anything she can do about the seagulls, tagging, dog shi t, and getting some yellow lines on the corners round here? Thanks, mate. Much appreciated.

I think seagulls may actually be worse than feckin’ parrots. Shouldn’t be over here, taking all our trees,etc. Reckon seagulls are a bit harder.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 22:53]

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 23:02 - Jul 19 with 2092 viewsKonk

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:49 - Jul 19 by Mick_S

I think seagulls may actually be worse than feckin’ parrots. Shouldn’t be over here, taking all our trees,etc. Reckon seagulls are a bit harder.

Noisy as f uck from pre-dawn, try and grab food off your plate if you’reeating outside, and I once saw one bullying a pigeon. If they stuck to the seaside I wouldn’t mind, but we’re miles in land and they’re taking the pi ss. Seriously considering getting a golden eagle.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 23:31 - Jul 19 with 2061 viewsted_hendrix

Wantage in the Vale of The White Horse, bought a new house here some 16 Months ago on a small private development next to Wantage Cricket Club.

Best;
Turn left and there's countryside with footpaths-cycle ways-woods-forests and scenery.
Turn right and within 10 minutes you've got the shops with all the necessary supermarkets and various Turkish barber shops.
10 minute drive to the A34, 25-30 minute drive to either the M4 or the M40, plenty of buses if you need one.
It took a while but I've now got birds-bees-butterfly's in the garden everyday, and they've all got boxes to 'crash out' in if they need them, the hedgehog hole built into the garden wall so far hasn't been used.
Brilliant neighbours, we love it here.

Against.

Harwell Science and Innovation Campus is only six miles away so I'm guessing that in the event of a nuclear war we'll get nuked into space PDQ and just 'miss out' on a cease fire.
That's all in the Against column.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 23:49 - Jul 19 with 2043 viewsSK_hoops

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:21 - Jul 19 by Orthodox_Hoop

South Ealing

Best - great pubs, good community, lovely parks, great transport links
Worst - full of new Brentford fans who have apparently supported them their whole lives

God, tell me about it. I grew up in South Eaing / Northfields.

Nice carcass avatar btw
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 07:42 - Jul 20 with 1931 viewsdistortR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:49 - Jul 19 by Mick_S

ha ha, some parakeets escaped from an aviary over here, people wondered if they'd naturalise. We've got loads of gulls (including the black-backed gull which is particularly mean), birds of prey and rookeries - and i've seen the latter mob up and chase off hen harriers. Don't reckon the parakeets lasted a day.
Anyway, I like seagulls, although I did once walk through Port St Mary with one attached to my lip. I was trying to do the right thing.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:24 - Jul 20 with 1868 viewsTheChef

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:36 - Jul 19 by hovehoop

Surprised The Spotted Dog is gone. I remember it being vast inside and pretty sure we went a few times with Irish bands playing.

I used to sell papers on a stall on Sunday mornings on the junction of Walm Lane and Willesden Lane and had a Saturday job in a brilliant sports shop on Walm Lane called Frederick Reeds. Happy days.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:47]

Ah Frederick Reed - I miss that place.

Yeah The Spotted Dog had that huge dance hall next to the pub.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:54 - Jul 20 with 1846 viewsjohann28

London SW1

Easy walk to anything in Central London
Hyde Park on doorstep

But

No community - the millionaires hate everybody except themselves
Lambourghini boy racers roaring around at night
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:35 - Jul 20 with 1815 viewsrobith

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:48 - Jul 19 by E17hoop

Walthamstow as well

Pros - It's much improved. It used to be known as being a great place to leave but now has brilliant transport links to West End, City, Stratford, motorway network etc. The Wetlands is fantastic - both sides - and a great place to get out for a walk before heading to those breweries. They're further developing the estate where the breweries are and the west of Walthamstow is improving a lot.

Cons - The poncey 'Village' that is just overpriced weekend space for people with more money than sense. The gangs - there's a big problem with it here and it's very hidden. The road closures moving all the traffic onto a few main roads is going to cause substantially worse air pollution in those areas near to the core roads. Notable that the cycling event in Walthamstow this weekend avoided many of the main roads; the traffic can be - as noted - awful.

Try running Higham Hill as hill repeats; from the Palmerston Road end, down and up to the zebra crossing and then back. 10 repeats is 5k. And Parkrun is back next week if you want to come along.

I started running in lockdown so parkrun is on my list. And no thanks on doing HH over and over - I've started always going up it cos it's at the start of my run and gets it over when I'm still full of beans. When I was ending it coming down it, you have to climb back up towards the Palmerston and along Forest Road towards Lloyd Park and it was destroying me.

Yeah there's always beef at the top of my road between uber eats guys, dealers and the Algerian lads who just want to drink a coffee outside in peace. I noticed the redevelopment of the old cinema involves a "Hoe Street cultural quarter" which I presume is a code word for closing all the Algerian cafes down
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:53 - Jul 20 with 1753 viewshantssi

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:44 - Jul 19 by Mick_S

Bishopshalt, hantssi?

That’s the place.
Through her I knew quite a few people who went there in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
Used to play them at football on a Saturday afternoon but I think they were called Old Uxonians then.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:54 - Jul 20 with 1752 viewshantssi

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 07:42 - Jul 20 by distortR

ha ha, some parakeets escaped from an aviary over here, people wondered if they'd naturalise. We've got loads of gulls (including the black-backed gull which is particularly mean), birds of prey and rookeries - and i've seen the latter mob up and chase off hen harriers. Don't reckon the parakeets lasted a day.
Anyway, I like seagulls, although I did once walk through Port St Mary with one attached to my lip. I was trying to do the right thing.

They’re all over the place near my mums in Kingsbury as well!
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:17 - Jul 20 with 1717 viewsMick_S

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:53 - Jul 20 by hantssi

That’s the place.
Through her I knew quite a few people who went there in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
Used to play them at football on a Saturday afternoon but I think they were called Old Uxonians then.

My kids went to high school there. It’s a beautiful building.(old school, not the newer bit). Unfortunately we missed Clare from Steps by a few years.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 15:35 - Jul 20 with 1611 viewsE17hoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:35 - Jul 20 by robith

I started running in lockdown so parkrun is on my list. And no thanks on doing HH over and over - I've started always going up it cos it's at the start of my run and gets it over when I'm still full of beans. When I was ending it coming down it, you have to climb back up towards the Palmerston and along Forest Road towards Lloyd Park and it was destroying me.

Yeah there's always beef at the top of my road between uber eats guys, dealers and the Algerian lads who just want to drink a coffee outside in peace. I noticed the redevelopment of the old cinema involves a "Hoe Street cultural quarter" which I presume is a code word for closing all the Algerian cafes down

Happy to orientate you at Parkrun if you want - I'm volunteering on Saturday.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:47 - Jul 20 with 1483 viewsLoftusR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:15 - Jul 19 by qpr_1968

Indeed it is. In fact we had the christening party for two of my kids in there many years ago. Not a bad pub but has changed hands many times so it's hard to tell what "sort" of pub it is.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:53 - Jul 20 with 1379 viewsCamberleyR

Milborne Port, Somerset.

Beautiful little village on the Somerset/Dorset border near Sherborne. Moved here seven weeks ago after spending the previous nine years in Farnborough. We liked it initially in Farnborough but in recent years the noise, parking and traffic had got worse and me and Mrs Camberley had had enough and with us two years ago getting special guardianship of our now four year grandson, wanted a nicer place to bring him up and so far he absolutely loves it here.

Best: Peace and quiet, stunning countryside on the doorstep but you're not completely cut off from civilisation, 15-20 minutes drive to get the weekly shop. Village has all the amenities you need and has two great pubs as well which in this climate when some villages don't now have any, is a bonus.

Everybody has been really friendly and helpful since we've been here, the village really seems to have a sense of community spirit which is nice to see in this day and age. We think we're really lucky to live here.

Worst: Haven't really seen any real drawbacks yet although trying to hire local people to do any jobs they have an attitude that is all a bit easy-osy. Not a massive choice of takeaways locally. That's about it!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 23:51 - Jul 20 with 1332 viewsIrishR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:46 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Mardyke, Cork City

Best: Great neighbours, nice park across the lovely river, beautiful city, chatty, peaceful and friendly people.
Worst: I honestly couldn't complain about anything personally, but we have some homeless people on the street and for a small city that's particularly unacceptable.

Hey Brian,

Think we may have spoke on here a number of years back. Are you living in Cork now then? I must literally pass your door everyday. Im living over near Anglesea street myself and was even closer last year as i was short term on the western road. Didn't realise you were so close we will have to catch a game.

You don't by any chance drive a red Corolla covered in QPR stickers? I saw this car out the straight road in recent months.

90% of the homeless issue in the City is due to substance abuse from what I see, if the root cause can be fixed, most probably have homes and families to go to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024