Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best and worse of the area you live in. 20:29 - Jul 17 with 17374 viewsqpr_1968

Shepherds bush.

BEST...Qpr, food shops to eat from all over the world. The askew.
WORST.....Traffic, and the extortianate parking charges.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 2482 viewsOakR

Honor Oak, SE London (Lewisham)

Best - tons of green spaces. friendly, good primary schools, feels safe (for London), easy to get to the Kent Coast and Kent etc, great transport into town now Overground is here, at the time we moved back in 2005 was affordable. Lots if wildlife also around here - I've seen Kingfishers and we have Peregrine Falcons and Kestrels on two of the local Church Spires, and Tawny Owls can be heard- amazing!

Worst - South Circular and driving back to W12 can be a pain and take 1.5 hours sometimes which is crazy, thoug 40 minutes early on a Sunday morning.

Combined best and worst - the Hills! Great views over London, but well there are lots of Hills!

Poll: Will we stay up?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:21 - Jul 19 with 2456 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 02:15 - Jul 18 by SK_hoops

Brentford

Best - great pubs, good community.

Worst - Full of Brentford fans.

South Ealing

Best - great pubs, good community, lovely parks, great transport links
Worst - full of new Brentford fans who have apparently supported them their whole lives
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:28 - Jul 19 with 2451 viewsthompsonridd

Bishops Stortford:

BEST: nice market town with easy access to London and great area for cycling off road

WORSE: becoming a bit too busy with three new estates in construction & I can be at QPR in 1 hour or 3 hrs depending on the traffic!!!!
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:45 - Jul 19 with 2425 viewsKonk

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:36 - Jul 18 by distortR

you've sold me on Bristol, Konk. And if I move over, it should push the seagulls down the, ahem, pecking order.

Had to get up to close the windows at 4am this morning because of the fu cking seagulls squawking away. They are such a bunch of twa ts.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:55 - Jul 19 with 2410 views80s_Boy

Wimbledon:

Good:

Ridiculously great transport links meaning simple commute to/from work, Loftus Road and Central London

Beautiful parks and the common

Great - if busy - pubs

Great place for foodies and you can eat your way around the World.

Cons:

Acts as a magnet for less desirable people and getting worse because of new McDonalds

No sense of community as most people are passing through renters due to house prices

High street is on its arse despite appearance due to how many food places (ironically after above)

Major transport hub meaning trains are always busy even at weekends

Surrounded by crap areas.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:02 - Jul 19 with 2397 viewsJuzzie

Whitton (Twickenham)

Best: Crane Park (5 mins walk away), family orientated area, lots of schools close by, high street one of the few traditional 1930's styled high streets left in London, easy access to the A316 both into and out of London. generally good community spirit.

Worse: School run and fking appalling parental driving/parking and it's going to get even worse as they're building a new school which has 80% of it's intake from Teddington, 2 miles away. Very clever council decision, thanks a bunch. Even Teddington residents didn't want the school built here.
Traffic after an event at Twickenham stadium (though that's not been an issue the last 18 months), not only is it jammed but you get impatient drivers flying down residential side streets (20mph zone) easily at 40mp+.
Cat converters getting stolen a lot more but that's happening everywhere as is concerning feral youth behavior. It's not good, really really not good.

Not that I frequent them anymore but there's a distinct lack of pubs. The Admiral Neslon at the top end of the high street and the Winning Post on the A316. That's about it. Any others are north of Nelson Road/Warren Road more into Hounslow itself.

[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 10:45]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:24 - Jul 19 with 2342 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:55 - Jul 19 by 80s_Boy

Wimbledon:

Good:

Ridiculously great transport links meaning simple commute to/from work, Loftus Road and Central London

Great - if busy - pubs

Cons:

Acts as a magnet for less desirable people and getting worse because of new McDonalds

No sense of community as most people are passing through renters due to house prices

High street is on its arse despite appearance due to how many food places (ironically after above)

‘less desirable people‘

[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 10:25]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:38 - Jul 19 with 2316 viewslondonscottish

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:59 - Jul 18 by queensparker

Kensal Green.

Best: still a proper community round here, can’t walk to the end of the road without a chat with anyone from an octogenarian Jamaican veteran to a young family who’ve just moved in to an Irish fella who’s kids have flown the coop. It’s changing as the house values go insane but still the best area I’ve lived in London for neighbours. Everyone genuinely looks out for each other. I can walk to Rangers. I’m the third generation of my family now to live in west London as I come from the 40s/50s Irish invasion and I still have real pride in keeping that going. 4 and 6 year old kids have a top school round the corner which I give thanks for every day. So many amazing parks, food, sports clubs, music and interesting stuff within walking distance. It’s London.

Worst: House is tiny for all of us with barely a garden and We have f all chance of getting a bigger one unless an unlikely financial windfall hits or we join the flight to the middle of nowhere. I hate what property prices are doing to London communities. Kids are small now but tbh not sure how I’ll feel about them walking about as teenagers in ten years - stabbing and gangs are on the doorstep. Council are sh-t, rubbish everywhere, pollution and traffic is getting worse.

To leave or not to leave? Seems like anyone who grew up as kid in London faces the choice but I can’t see myself anywhere else.

I moved up the road to Willesden Green to get more space.

Pro's - more space

Cons - apart from the Queensbury there's nowhere to drink round here - all the best places are round your way. Plus tons of my old mates are down there too. It feels like going home when I walk around KR.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:43 - Jul 19 with 2291 viewseastside_r

South Woodford (E18)

Pros — Typical London suburbia, if you don’t like London, you won’t like SW. Good local facilities / shops. Great transport links, direct Central Line to KPF / LR. Easy access A406 (if you drive, I don’t) good schools (apparently) if you have kids (I don’t.) Council OK. Vast swathes of (what the City of London Corporation insists on calling) Epping Forest* on my doorstep. Mostly forest but with some green open spaces and lakes. I was a bit meh! about this but was an absolute boon in lockdown. Cosmopolitan and a good mix of age ranges — so probably lively enough if you are a youngster but not too lively if you are in the third age.
(* - Geographically SW is closer to Tottenham, than it is to leafy Epping.)

Cons — London house prices. About an hour away from HQ. A mile and a half up the road and you’re in the much-maligned county of Essex. Not necessarily a problem for me, it is where a lot of my ancestors are from, but SW can be a little Essex-y and I am sure you know what I mean by that. Too many Spurs’ fans (i.e. more than one.) MP is a ***t.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:46 - Jul 19 with 2275 views80s_Boy

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:24 - Jul 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

‘less desirable people‘

[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 10:25]

Sorry about the phrase.... the 'C Word' is banned so I couldn't express the comment as I wanted to...
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 10:47]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:54 - Jul 19 with 2252 viewsBostonR

Chalfont Heights:

Best - very quite and on the doorstep of the Chilterns. Lovely pub/restaurants around the area and a great community spirit.

Worst - condition of the local roads.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:16 - Jul 19 with 2216 viewseastside_r

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:46 - Jul 19 by 80s_Boy

Sorry about the phrase.... the 'C Word' is banned so I couldn't express the comment as I wanted to...
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 10:47]

You live in South-West London, there's bound to be some C****** fans there.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:15 - Jul 19 with 2140 views80s_Boy

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:16 - Jul 19 by eastside_r

You live in South-West London, there's bound to be some C****** fans there.

Not many to be honest but the ones I know are sound and 'legacy fans' so no problem with them.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:24 - Jul 19 with 2119 viewsRog

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:54 - Jul 19 by BostonR

Chalfont Heights:

Best - very quite and on the doorstep of the Chilterns. Lovely pub/restaurants around the area and a great community spirit.

Worst - condition of the local roads.

Plus all the HS2 lorries belting around the place.

(there's good chance I walked the dog past your house this morning)
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:38 - Jul 19 with 2082 viewsrobith

Walthamstow

Best - some brilliant pubs, plus whole load of old warehosues have recently been converted to breweries, proper spoilt for beer up here. The Wetland is great and not too far from Epping. Victoria Line changed my life when I moved her 6 years ago. Gentrification almost entirely located in one area so easily avoided. On the High Street market, the roast chicken stand on Saturdays and Seth's Spice Hut during the week are unparalleled. Food and cafe options that cover about 80% of the world's surface

Worst - absolute embarrassment of a local MP, the traffic down to Leyton and Stratford is horrendous, is unbelievably hilly - I barely get round my 5k as it is, some of the climbs up Higham Hill are deadly
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:51 - Jul 19 with 2049 viewshovehoop

Hove (via Willesden Lane, Wembley, Harrow and school in Ladbroke Grove).

Pro's: Being by the sea, the South Downs Way and lovely lanes and villages nearby to experience by bike. Good choice of amateur sports clubs. Easy access to lots of pubs and eateries.

Cons: Not many. Think I'm lucky to live here. House/property prices are the biggest gripe I guess. Don't know at what stage my adult kids will be able to buy somewhere, if at all, and stay local. And despite high property prices, this isn't matched by the average wage but I think many are resigned to that in order to live here. The beach can also get trashed during good weather with people not picking up their rubbish. However, many visitors do use the bins but they're often overflowing which is down to the LA to sort out. Some of the road surfaces are rubbish too.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:55 - Jul 19 with 2043 viewswillis1980

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:55 - Jul 19 by 80s_Boy

Wimbledon:

Good:

Great - if busy - pubs

Cons:

Awful place for a night out, pre pandemic trouble would find you constantly. The area is a magnet for people from surrounding areas Mitcham, Sutton, Colliers Wood etc. Mates who work in security used to turn down work in Wimbledon, the wetherspoons (surprise) is a hub for idiocy.
We stopped our work parties in Wimbledon because there was always some nonsense kicking off, then we moved them up to the village which is pretty dull and snobby.
What tourists must think when they arrive thinking its going to be all like the All England Tennis environs only god knows
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:58 - Jul 19 with 2038 views80s_Boy

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:55 - Jul 19 by willis1980

Awful place for a night out, pre pandemic trouble would find you constantly. The area is a magnet for people from surrounding areas Mitcham, Sutton, Colliers Wood etc. Mates who work in security used to turn down work in Wimbledon, the wetherspoons (surprise) is a hub for idiocy.
We stopped our work parties in Wimbledon because there was always some nonsense kicking off, then we moved them up to the village which is pretty dull and snobby.
What tourists must think when they arrive thinking its going to be all like the All England Tennis environs only god knows

I moved to the area in 2015 and have had 3 or 4 nights out. That's enough for me.

For an area with a reputation for being 'classy' it genuinely surprised me.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:26 - Jul 19 with 1989 viewsBoston

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:24 - Jul 19 by Rog

Never heard of Chalfont Heights. I know there’s a number of villages similarly named in that area because we modernized a hair salon in Chalfont St.Peter over 40 years ago.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:28 - Jul 19 with 1992 viewsBostonR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:24 - Jul 19 by Rog

Good shout on HS2. I have to say given the size of the project the contractors are doing a really good job. Only had a few HGV drivers trying to get their 50 ton trucks onto Denham Lane.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:58 - Jul 19 with 1942 viewsBostonR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:26 - Jul 19 by Boston

Never heard of Chalfont Heights. I know there’s a number of villages similarly named in that area because we modernized a hair salon in Chalfont St.Peter over 40 years ago.

It’s a residential area just outside Chalfont St Peter. Backs onto Gerrards Cross golf club.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:18 - Jul 19 with 1906 viewsTheChef

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:38 - Jul 19 by londonscottish

I moved up the road to Willesden Green to get more space.

Pro's - more space

Cons - apart from the Queensbury there's nowhere to drink round here - all the best places are round your way. Plus tons of my old mates are down there too. It feels like going home when I walk around KR.

All the best pubs have gone, sadly.

No problem though if you want a coffee...

e.e. The Spotted Dog, which is now a Costa.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:36 - Jul 19 with 1872 viewshovehoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:18 - Jul 19 by TheChef

All the best pubs have gone, sadly.

No problem though if you want a coffee...

e.e. The Spotted Dog, which is now a Costa.

Surprised The Spotted Dog is gone. I remember it being vast inside and pretty sure we went a few times with Irish bands playing.

I used to sell papers on a stall on Sunday mornings on the junction of Walm Lane and Willesden Lane and had a Saturday job in a brilliant sports shop on Walm Lane called Frederick Reeds. Happy days.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 14:47]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:48 - Jul 19 with 1850 viewsE17hoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:38 - Jul 19 by robith

Walthamstow

Best - some brilliant pubs, plus whole load of old warehosues have recently been converted to breweries, proper spoilt for beer up here. The Wetland is great and not too far from Epping. Victoria Line changed my life when I moved her 6 years ago. Gentrification almost entirely located in one area so easily avoided. On the High Street market, the roast chicken stand on Saturdays and Seth's Spice Hut during the week are unparalleled. Food and cafe options that cover about 80% of the world's surface

Worst - absolute embarrassment of a local MP, the traffic down to Leyton and Stratford is horrendous, is unbelievably hilly - I barely get round my 5k as it is, some of the climbs up Higham Hill are deadly

Walthamstow as well

Pros - It's much improved. It used to be known as being a great place to leave but now has brilliant transport links to West End, City, Stratford, motorway network etc. The Wetlands is fantastic - both sides - and a great place to get out for a walk before heading to those breweries. They're further developing the estate where the breweries are and the west of Walthamstow is improving a lot.

Cons - The poncey 'Village' that is just overpriced weekend space for people with more money than sense. The gangs - there's a big problem with it here and it's very hidden. The road closures moving all the traffic onto a few main roads is going to cause substantially worse air pollution in those areas near to the core roads. Notable that the cycling event in Walthamstow this weekend avoided many of the main roads; the traffic can be - as noted - awful.

Try running Higham Hill as hill repeats; from the Palmerston Road end, down and up to the zebra crossing and then back. 10 repeats is 5k. And Parkrun is back next week if you want to come along.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 16:15 - Jul 19 with 1724 viewsheadhoops

Horsell Village (nr Woking)

Best - right on Horsell Common, quiet and lots of great walks. Easy commute anywhere.
Cons - Aliens keep invading, only one garage and you cannot afford to buy any of their cars.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024