Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. 10:59 - Nov 7 with 14148 viewsdale1968

Looking forward to todays game..
Ist Rd day always seems to have a special feel about it and a home tie as well.
Hopefully the recent good form carries on in to todays game and we can progress? But as we know the cup throws up upsets so lets hope today is not one of them.
UTDNFS

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 17:45 - Nov 7 with 4781 viewsboromat

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 17:36 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

Yes, August to September 2021.

One all was probably a fair result apart from the penalty we should have got in the second half. First half I thought they were the better side but we stole a goal before half time. Second half was very much the opposite. The problem with the second half is the expectation that we should be doing better against a none league side and the lack of urgency from those either side of O'Connell. They just can't find a forward pass.

O'Connell especially looked a very frustrated player in the end going on his own runs and taking the free kick. I think he'll be off in January he's better than League 2.

If that was a league 2 team I think we'd all be much less critical. I should imagine they've got a similar budget to ourselves.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 18:02 - Nov 7 with 4645 viewsSuddenLad

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 17:39 - Nov 7 by 1907

Team selection, formation, substitutions, game management, defending = awful. Becoming a regular occurrence this.

I’m sorry but a few more weeks of home performances like this and Stockdale will be under ridiculous pressure.

Let’s not beat about the bush, that today was absolutely effing dreadful. The desire and belief to win is just absolutely none existent in this group.

Yeah, we keep picking up the odd win & sit reasonably comfortable in mid table but, home performances like that are unacceptable. I’m sure some will be happy rolling out the excuses of the summer, off the pitch issues etc, however the reality is that Stockdale had assembled a highly capable squad that could actually achieve something, if it believed it could. And the buck therein lies at the feet of one man.

Can anyone actually explain to me how we tried to WIN that game? We make one substitution, expectedly/predictably swapping Dooley for Morley, then what? Stockdale stood on the sidelines for 30 minutes scratching his head looking like McLaren against Croatia.

That today was BBMesque. Not what was promised at the fans forum in the summer (as someone who sits around me quoted today).

Finally can we talk about the man management of Sam Graham. Never in 30 years of watching Dale have I seen a player look so lacking in confidence. His body language is so worrying that it’s at a stage where I feel genuinely concerned for him. Yet he’s Stockdale’s first name on the team sheet week in week out. Can anybody explain this because I’m beyond words now?

No fear has never felt farther away from our current mindset!

Dooley for Grant. Yes, it was a below-par performance, no doubt about that, but on what basis do you claim that RS assembled a 'highly capable squad'?

So few of them had much league experience that they were largely untried and untested in league football. Graham does look unsure sometimes, whether that's lack of confidence or inability to make a decision,I don't know. He does make you nervous, for sure.

Don't understand only he used one sub, no idea why Lynch got the nod ahead of Coleman, especially after last Tuesday.

Room for improvement, and from where we were sat it looked a stonewall pen. And we missed Newby.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 18:12 - Nov 7 with 4570 views1907

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 18:02 - Nov 7 by SuddenLad

Dooley for Grant. Yes, it was a below-par performance, no doubt about that, but on what basis do you claim that RS assembled a 'highly capable squad'?

So few of them had much league experience that they were largely untried and untested in league football. Graham does look unsure sometimes, whether that's lack of confidence or inability to make a decision,I don't know. He does make you nervous, for sure.

Don't understand only he used one sub, no idea why Lynch got the nod ahead of Coleman, especially after last Tuesday.

Room for improvement, and from where we were sat it looked a stonewall pen. And we missed Newby.

What I’m trying to get at is that the players are much better than the formation is allowing them to be.

We can put out a first eleven that contend with any team in this division, we’ve already played the “best” teams in the division and none of them are all that, let’s be honest.

Although we may be young and inexperienced we have some good players with bags of potential, who are being let down by a manager who is so stubborn & reluctant to change a system it stinks of BBM.
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 19:11 - Nov 7 with 4320 viewsRAFCBLUE

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 19:34 - Nov 7 with 4208 viewsEllDale

If Beesley had taken that chance from ten yards out in front of the Sandy early in the second half it would have been 2-0 and probably game over. As it was he hit the keeper. Other days the net ripples.
It wasn’t long afterwards that they equalised and it then became a completely different game.
And was it a penalty late on when Grant tumbled over in the box?
I suppose we shouldn’t be too surprised as to how the teams seemly evenly matched at times.
There was a great piece in TVOS on how we keep drawing National League teams in the cup but the difference now is that we aren’t a League One side any more. There aren’t too many places between us in the pyramid and I suspect that their playing budget may be similar If not larger.
One thing that I am getting fed-up with is how we seem to be outmuscled so often and every team we play seems to be bigger.
Just before their goal I remarked that Notts hadn’t had a corner….and they got one and promptly scored.
The Coleman v Lynch debate will continue to rumble but from the other end it looked as though the latter got nowhere near it.
Shades of goals conceded at home to Gillingham and at Wycombe a couple of seasons ago which cost us points.
For what it’s worth I think that, whilst Lynch may be the better keeper, corners are definitely his Achilles heel. Having said that we were cursing Coleman against Sutton for flapping at a corner.
It’s a long-standing problem that needs sorting and quick.
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 19:40 - Nov 7 with 4166 viewsDaley_Lama

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 19:11 - Nov 7 by RAFCBLUE

TDS need to shout SHOOT louder, it’s obviously not getting through.

It was great to see us go to a 4-5-1 at home finally at times today and also have some steel in an otherwise lightweight midfield - EOC is da man for that role.

Great also to see loads of flicks, tricks and fancy passes in the first half against clunky chunky sluggish opposition- why play a simple pass when an over-engineered pass will do?

Awesome learning as the game progressed after 58 mins - we soon sussed out that their 11 was being given the freedom of Spotland and snuffed out any threat from him.

Well played County - no plucky draw today, but for the paint on a goal post you would have won.

Poll: DF in or out

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 19:42 - Nov 7 with 4147 viewsDaleiLama

Dan Rhodes certainly produced more magic than Dale did today. Desmond dragon a contender for motm too. Not really covered ourselves in glory in cup competitions this week sadly. Fingers crossed for a turn of fortune

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:02 - Nov 7 with 3869 viewsEllDale

Does anyone else think that it’s time for White to be given a shot in the left wingback role?
No disrespect to Swiss Army Jimmy but he’s left footed and probably more direct.
I’m also worried that teams have sussed out that long balls to a wide player continually leave us exposed. White may be better equipped defensively.
As for the centrebacks, O’Connell is a colossus but Graham and Dorsett are naive stoppers pure and simple.
The best we’ve looked in weeks is when Jim McNulty has been playing.
The daft thing is that we should be winning every header from a corner with the currrent back three plus Beesley defending set pieces.
You’d think that RS, with his schooling under the likes of Moyse and Allardyce, would be sorting this out on the training pitch as his first priority.
And was the time right with ten minutes to go throw Andrews on up front with Beesley?
County had seemingly decided to play for a replay with the clock ticking down and some added grunt in the box might have produced something.
Login to get fewer ads

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:07 - Nov 7 with 3844 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:02 - Nov 7 by EllDale

Does anyone else think that it’s time for White to be given a shot in the left wingback role?
No disrespect to Swiss Army Jimmy but he’s left footed and probably more direct.
I’m also worried that teams have sussed out that long balls to a wide player continually leave us exposed. White may be better equipped defensively.
As for the centrebacks, O’Connell is a colossus but Graham and Dorsett are naive stoppers pure and simple.
The best we’ve looked in weeks is when Jim McNulty has been playing.
The daft thing is that we should be winning every header from a corner with the currrent back three plus Beesley defending set pieces.
You’d think that RS, with his schooling under the likes of Moyse and Allardyce, would be sorting this out on the training pitch as his first priority.
And was the time right with ten minutes to go throw Andrews on up front with Beesley?
County had seemingly decided to play for a replay with the clock ticking down and some added grunt in the box might have produced something.

I've been saying for weeks that White must be worth a shout.

Yes, I would have put Andrews on as well near to the end. The lack of subs was a real mystery; I'd love someone to ask RS his thinking behind that.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:26 - Nov 7 with 3751 views49thseason

Another disappointing afternoon at the COA . We huff and puff but never blow their house down. Rotten home form has been a feature for the last 4 years so today wasn't any sort of shock. Playing 3 at the back on a wide pitch is a problem, especially when 2 of the 3 dont have the pace or positional sense to negate teams that have a pair of wingers or any sort of pace. Jimmy isn't a wingback and O'Keefee isn't a defender, both have other assetts and need to be used differently. Our current midfield neither provides defensive cover or attacking threat and we dont have a genuine goalscorer.
What we do have is a group of players that collectively have enough to keep us out of the bottom 2 positions in the league by the end of the season. Bearing in mind the position we were in on June 1st, I would consider that a satisfactory outcome.

Stockdale is in position to develop players for sale, that is now fixed in the club's DNA and will not change. But this squad was assembled in haste and he has to build new foundations into which he can introduce new blood. I don't think loans are really an answer, but short term were a neccessity to enable us to put a squad together.
Unfortunately there are players under contract who are barely making up numbers who I hope will soon be replaced and O'Connell will probably leave sooner than later so we are light on genuine experience and heavy on inexperience, not a great place to be.
So, we must plan and play with a very specific goal in mind, 55-60 points and a chance to go again next season in a better financial position with a Manager and coaching team with 12 months under their belts , a proper pre-season, and a better mix of youth and experience with a first 11 that can go toe to toe with the best, particularly at home.
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:34 - Nov 7 with 3712 viewsSandyman

Last 3 goals we've conceded at home have been due to awful zonal marking at corners. Marking squares of grass that can't score instead of marking players who can. Naïve, needs fixing. We could see from early on that their wingers had acres of space to operate in. Was the same all game. Naïve to not address it. The introduction of Andrews or Cashman to support Beesley in an attempt to win the game seemed obvious. Naïve not to see that.

Over to you, gaffer.
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:42 - Nov 7 with 3660 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:26 - Nov 7 by 49thseason

Another disappointing afternoon at the COA . We huff and puff but never blow their house down. Rotten home form has been a feature for the last 4 years so today wasn't any sort of shock. Playing 3 at the back on a wide pitch is a problem, especially when 2 of the 3 dont have the pace or positional sense to negate teams that have a pair of wingers or any sort of pace. Jimmy isn't a wingback and O'Keefee isn't a defender, both have other assetts and need to be used differently. Our current midfield neither provides defensive cover or attacking threat and we dont have a genuine goalscorer.
What we do have is a group of players that collectively have enough to keep us out of the bottom 2 positions in the league by the end of the season. Bearing in mind the position we were in on June 1st, I would consider that a satisfactory outcome.

Stockdale is in position to develop players for sale, that is now fixed in the club's DNA and will not change. But this squad was assembled in haste and he has to build new foundations into which he can introduce new blood. I don't think loans are really an answer, but short term were a neccessity to enable us to put a squad together.
Unfortunately there are players under contract who are barely making up numbers who I hope will soon be replaced and O'Connell will probably leave sooner than later so we are light on genuine experience and heavy on inexperience, not a great place to be.
So, we must plan and play with a very specific goal in mind, 55-60 points and a chance to go again next season in a better financial position with a Manager and coaching team with 12 months under their belts , a proper pre-season, and a better mix of youth and experience with a first 11 that can go toe to toe with the best, particularly at home.

Excellent analysis.

However, I'm not sure about this point anymore:

"Stockdale is in position to develop players for sale, that is now fixed in the club's DNA and will not change."

While player development and sales are always crucial, I wonder if complete reliance on it has disappeared along with some other individuals?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:47 - Nov 7 with 3642 viewsinthenet

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 17:39 - Nov 7 by 1907

Team selection, formation, substitutions, game management, defending = awful. Becoming a regular occurrence this.

I’m sorry but a few more weeks of home performances like this and Stockdale will be under ridiculous pressure.

Let’s not beat about the bush, that today was absolutely effing dreadful. The desire and belief to win is just absolutely none existent in this group.

Yeah, we keep picking up the odd win & sit reasonably comfortable in mid table but, home performances like that are unacceptable. I’m sure some will be happy rolling out the excuses of the summer, off the pitch issues etc, however the reality is that Stockdale had assembled a highly capable squad that could actually achieve something, if it believed it could. And the buck therein lies at the feet of one man.

Can anyone actually explain to me how we tried to WIN that game? We make one substitution, expectedly/predictably swapping Dooley for Morley, then what? Stockdale stood on the sidelines for 30 minutes scratching his head looking like McLaren against Croatia.

That today was BBMesque. Not what was promised at the fans forum in the summer (as someone who sits around me quoted today).

Finally can we talk about the man management of Sam Graham. Never in 30 years of watching Dale have I seen a player look so lacking in confidence. His body language is so worrying that it’s at a stage where I feel genuinely concerned for him. Yet he’s Stockdale’s first name on the team sheet week in week out. Can anybody explain this because I’m beyond words now?

No fear has never felt farther away from our current mindset!

Inept , no passion , no will to win just bloody awful BBM is in disguise !!!

Rastrickblue

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 00:09 - Nov 8 with 3367 views49thseason

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:42 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

Excellent analysis.

However, I'm not sure about this point anymore:

"Stockdale is in position to develop players for sale, that is now fixed in the club's DNA and will not change."

While player development and sales are always crucial, I wonder if complete reliance on it has disappeared along with some other individuals?

Development of off-pitch fund raising will benefit from the new, more adventurous and undoubtedly more energetic BOD. But, there is a large infrastucture responsible for player development which they will not want to dismantle any time soon. We are becoming more business-like as indeed we need to but it takes a hell of a lot of work to make £750 - £1m from £5 here and a £1k there compared with selling a Mathieson. I think there is scope for doing much more to ensure the basics are covered financially. But at the end of the day a bigger fan-base is required to stay in the EFL with comfort. Bigger clubs have failed, probably because of the wage bill.

If we could average 5000 home supporters, the club would be changed beyond all recognition. This is the single biggest topic facing '"our" club and needs discussing more than almost any other subject. Lack of support is the biggest existential threat we face and we need all hands on deck to solve the problem.
Oh, that and can we turn down the brightness of the "big screen" during the game? It plays havoc with my cateract!
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 15:46 - Nov 8 with 2724 viewselectricblue

Just watched the highlights and 2 things stood out.
Notts Cty equaliser should not have been allowed as the ball in the corner was not in the quadrant it was actually on the pitch side of the line.

The other was a stonewall penalty ignored by the ref.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 16:05 - Nov 8 with 2689 viewsJames1980

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 00:09 - Nov 8 by 49thseason

Development of off-pitch fund raising will benefit from the new, more adventurous and undoubtedly more energetic BOD. But, there is a large infrastucture responsible for player development which they will not want to dismantle any time soon. We are becoming more business-like as indeed we need to but it takes a hell of a lot of work to make £750 - £1m from £5 here and a £1k there compared with selling a Mathieson. I think there is scope for doing much more to ensure the basics are covered financially. But at the end of the day a bigger fan-base is required to stay in the EFL with comfort. Bigger clubs have failed, probably because of the wage bill.

If we could average 5000 home supporters, the club would be changed beyond all recognition. This is the single biggest topic facing '"our" club and needs discussing more than almost any other subject. Lack of support is the biggest existential threat we face and we need all hands on deck to solve the problem.
Oh, that and can we turn down the brightness of the "big screen" during the game? It plays havoc with my cateract!

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 16:47 - Nov 8 with 2582 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 15:46 - Nov 8 by electricblue

Just watched the highlights and 2 things stood out.
Notts Cty equaliser should not have been allowed as the ball in the corner was not in the quadrant it was actually on the pitch side of the line.

The other was a stonewall penalty ignored by the ref.......

The ball doesn't have to be in the quadrant, it just has to be touching it, like it does at when 'we' take corners. The perimeter arc of the corner quadrant counts as part of the area of that quadrant.

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 18:12 - Nov 8 with 2394 viewsAltDaleComms

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:43 - Nov 8 with 2043 views49thseason

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 16:05 - Nov 8 by James1980

We don't have a tradition of success, and we have spent the last 50+ years with fans being the last thing anyone thought about.
We need a revolution we need to ditch the same old same old and create a fresh new club with a new fan-friendly attitude where matchday becomes exciting , where footballs are not smashed at fans during warm-ups , where fans are not deafened in one stand and left with unheard announcements in another. We need to rethink everything....Why Blue shirts? Why is Desmond a green Dragon? We have made a start with the food menu, what about the beers? how about roving coffee and tea salespeople? The list is endless, most importantly what do people want? The truth is they don't really know. until its put in front of them
So, we have to ask questions, ...
why don't people come on Tuesdays like they do on Saturdays?
Is parking a problem?
Would you rather stand than sit?
Could you bring a friend who doesn't usually come and what would make that easier?
Are you happy to bring young children >
What annoys you about the stadium?
Are you a member of any other clubs or societies?
Do you ever use the club shop in person?
Is a 7.00 KO good for you?
What time do you arrive at the ground on Saturdays?
Do you ever use the Bars or kiosks?
Do you think a visit to the COA is good value for money?
Why do you think more people don't attend?

There are several interesting sites on the web dedicated to Fan engagement I wonder how many at the club have read them?
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:54 - Nov 8 with 2012 viewsEllDale

It was a day out for Stockport fans.
Look how many we took to Old Trafford for comparison.
Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:55 - Nov 8 with 2005 views442Dale

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:43 - Nov 8 by 49thseason

We don't have a tradition of success, and we have spent the last 50+ years with fans being the last thing anyone thought about.
We need a revolution we need to ditch the same old same old and create a fresh new club with a new fan-friendly attitude where matchday becomes exciting , where footballs are not smashed at fans during warm-ups , where fans are not deafened in one stand and left with unheard announcements in another. We need to rethink everything....Why Blue shirts? Why is Desmond a green Dragon? We have made a start with the food menu, what about the beers? how about roving coffee and tea salespeople? The list is endless, most importantly what do people want? The truth is they don't really know. until its put in front of them
So, we have to ask questions, ...
why don't people come on Tuesdays like they do on Saturdays?
Is parking a problem?
Would you rather stand than sit?
Could you bring a friend who doesn't usually come and what would make that easier?
Are you happy to bring young children >
What annoys you about the stadium?
Are you a member of any other clubs or societies?
Do you ever use the club shop in person?
Is a 7.00 KO good for you?
What time do you arrive at the ground on Saturdays?
Do you ever use the Bars or kiosks?
Do you think a visit to the COA is good value for money?
Why do you think more people don't attend?

There are several interesting sites on the web dedicated to Fan engagement I wonder how many at the club have read them?

It’s not that the club haven’t done things like this over the years and looked at more or less everything you’ve mentioned, more that there has never been a consistent plan to follow and things get forgotten or revert to type - the situation with the tannoy has gone beyond embarrassing to now be at the point where it’s laughable, for example.

This is something the new board/Trust have to address once the understandable matters at hand are sorted. It needs to visible with an end goal so all supporters can see where we are headed.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 10:12 - Nov 9 with 1585 viewsAtThePeake

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 21:26 - Nov 7 by 49thseason

A good, reasoned post which this thread was lacking. Nice one 49th.

Let's hope whoever fancies O'Connell in January would rather wait til the summer to get him on a free. Might not be any use to our finances, but I'm terrified of how we might cope with a back three of Dorsett, Graham & Taylor cause at the moment I'm not sure any of them are up to it and that 55-60 point target might start to look unachievable very quickly without him.

Tangled up in blue.

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 11:15 - Nov 9 with 1532 viewsDaleiLama

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 10:12 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

A good, reasoned post which this thread was lacking. Nice one 49th.

Let's hope whoever fancies O'Connell in January would rather wait til the summer to get him on a free. Might not be any use to our finances, but I'm terrified of how we might cope with a back three of Dorsett, Graham & Taylor cause at the moment I'm not sure any of them are up to it and that 55-60 point target might start to look unachievable very quickly without him.

I confess my only contribution to this thread was borne of frustration following another winnable match in which we failed to take advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves and didn't get the result we could have had. Again. But that's football.

One comment about loanees - wasn't fully on board with 49th on that. Lincoln made it up from non-league to L1 with the assistance of some shrewd loanees. With our budget, we need to do likewise. Even if we get to L1 I would suggest? Could be a topic for discussion on the podcast - won't add it to your other thread and duplicate.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 13:06 - Nov 9 with 1384 viewsAtThePeake

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 11:15 - Nov 9 by DaleiLama

I confess my only contribution to this thread was borne of frustration following another winnable match in which we failed to take advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves and didn't get the result we could have had. Again. But that's football.

One comment about loanees - wasn't fully on board with 49th on that. Lincoln made it up from non-league to L1 with the assistance of some shrewd loanees. With our budget, we need to do likewise. Even if we get to L1 I would suggest? Could be a topic for discussion on the podcast - won't add it to your other thread and duplicate.

It's a strange one with loanees. I feel like they have to fit into either the category of potentially becoming a permanent signing (O'Keeffe right now for example) or have supreme quality that we wouldn't be able to find in a permanent signing realistically (Jack O'Connell & Robert Sanchez being two good recent examples) to be effective.

Hill used them to great effect in his first spell at the club but barely used the loan market at all in his second spell. I guess it depends on who is available and whether they suit what the squad requires at that precise moment.

Tangled up in blue.

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 13:07 - Nov 9 with 1382 viewsboromat

Dale v Notts Match Thread.. on 11:15 - Nov 9 by DaleiLama

Tickets for the replay announced. Anyone know what's going on with postage prices this year? Seem very high.

'Postage will be offered on tickets purchased before 2pm on Friday 12th November at the special delivery price of £7.25.'

For me it means buying on the day for the extra £2 meaning the club gets nothing. Unless it's £2 or lower it's not worth doing.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024