Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This season-Transition season. 22:56 - Jan 26 with 6393 viewsmagicdaps10

I am just amazed that some fans don't see that this season is a transition season, absolutely Amazes me!

We lose our parachute payments, over half our first team and management team YET some think we are a top 6 team.

I just want to see what everyone thinks in one post in regards if they see this as a transition season or we should be pushing higher in the league.

Me personally as I asked, we are about right where we are considering the few games we have in hand and all mentioned above.

Shhot away all.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

This season-Transition season. on 20:46 - Jan 27 with 953 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 20:24 - Jan 27 by raynor94

I can't wait for your egg plastered face to have a good wipe.

Bookmark it!

no one will be more pleased if it does..but what makes you so sure Martin will make us successful rather than another midtable side as he did at MKDons .earlier in this thread I made a comparison of Martin and Martinez with their similar starts in management which were very similar yet different in their achievements....
for the sake of the club I hope I am wearing g egg...data though doesnt make think I will

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

This season-Transition season. on 21:17 - Jan 27 with 920 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 20:45 - Jan 27 by magicdaps10

If Martin was the manager who lost in the play off final and we still had our star striker here this season then Martin would be in trouble.

Jackett was the manager who lost that play off final, he still had Trundle for the following season.

The 2 are non comparable.

what about the Martinez v Martin comparrison

Martin has a player in Piroe who has more goals over game than Ayew....

This season-Transition season. on 21:23 - Jan 27 with 914 viewsraynor94

This season-Transition season. on 20:46 - Jan 27 by vetchonian

no one will be more pleased if it does..but what makes you so sure Martin will make us successful rather than another midtable side as he did at MKDons .earlier in this thread I made a comparison of Martin and Martinez with their similar starts in management which were very similar yet different in their achievements....
for the sake of the club I hope I am wearing g egg...data though doesnt make think I will

He had a season and a half at Mk, kept them up that first season, second season finished 13th but had totally transformed the club on a zero budget, widley applauded for their style of play.

It's starting to evolve here, I have no doubts we'll be in the mix next season

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

This season-Transition season. on 21:28 - Jan 27 with 905 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 21:23 - Jan 27 by raynor94

He had a season and a half at Mk, kept them up that first season, second season finished 13th but had totally transformed the club on a zero budget, widley applauded for their style of play.

in a season and a half Martinez got us promoted as champions....then the following season got us to 9th in the Championship..whilst making us a want to watch team winning games...

This season-Transition season. on 21:38 - Jan 27 with 898 viewsSirjohnalot

This season-Transition season. on 11:36 - Jan 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

We didn't lose the management team, they were all but sacked.

We haven't lost half of the first team.

I'd argue only the centre backs were not adequately replaced.

We spent an incredible amount of money this Summer. We've seen even more money spent this month.

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key first team players in the coming Summer months. Will that render next season a transition season as well?

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key players in Summer 2023. Will that render the 2023-24 season a transitional season as well?

There's no such thing as a transitional season. If results fall below expectations for too long, he'll be gone. If results exceed expectations for too long, he'll be gone.

IF Martin stays and brings in a mixture of permanent and loan players all of whom can help the players already here and are better than those that leave and over the summer he brings in more purchases in the same vein and next year we see a difference with players clicking then it will be a transition season. If the same things happen next year and we’re in a similar position with no obvious and notifiable difference then it won’t be.

Think it’s impossible to say if this season is a transition one until we see where we are after the ‘transition season’

Personally I’m very optimistic
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 22:17]
This season-Transition season. on 21:38 - Jan 27 with 898 viewsraynor94

This season-Transition season. on 21:28 - Jan 27 by vetchonian

in a season and a half Martinez got us promoted as champions....then the following season got us to 9th in the Championship..whilst making us a want to watch team winning games...

Let's see what next season brings, as I said I have no doubts we'll be in the mix.

I'm baffled by your intense dislike of Martin, surely it's not because he replaced your hero Cooper, who by the way managed some of the most soul destroying football I've witnessed in almost 60 years

This season-Transition season. on 22:03 - Jan 27 with 875 viewsmagicdaps10

This season-Transition season. on 21:17 - Jan 27 by vetchonian

What about comparing Martin and Martinez?
I don't think they can be compared, there are slight similarities in style of play but that's as far as it goes. I take it that you see comparisons in the whole make up to the both?

Martin has Piroe but he would likely prefer similar to a goals return of Ayew and Lowe. I just can't see how people expected another season in and around the play offs all things considered! I will say that I thought we would have been in and around 12th spot but it's hardly a million miles from it as we stand.

This season-Transition season. on 22:05 - Jan 27 with 873 viewsnantywatcher

This season-Transition season. on 21:38 - Jan 27 by raynor94

Let's see what next season brings, as I said I have no doubts we'll be in the mix.

I'm baffled by your intense dislike of Martin, surely it's not because he replaced your hero Cooper, who by the way managed some of the most soul destroying football I've witnessed in almost 60 years

More soul destroying than the boring drivel dished up this season- seriously?
Login to get fewer ads

This season-Transition season. on 22:10 - Jan 27 with 865 viewsmagicdaps10

This season-Transition season. on 22:05 - Jan 27 by nantywatcher

The passing, basic skills are a million miles better for sure.
I can argue with last seasons shape and this is something that Martin could and I am sure he will improve on once his style is fully in place, the style I believe is virtually there and it's now putting the jigsaw pieces in place to create a bit more discipline to be able to play the football and keep the shape better.

Its coming, I myself am confident.

This season-Transition season. on 22:11 - Jan 27 with 864 viewsraynor94

This season-Transition season. on 22:05 - Jan 27 by nantywatcher

It was always going to a work in progress this season, the last 3 games after the disruption of covid are beginning to show what we are capable of

This season-Transition season. on 22:49 - Jan 27 with 831 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 16:45 - Jan 27 by YouBackJastard

“The majority of the thread maybe. But normal football fans wouldn’t be buying into this notion of transition seasons, as someone who has been around football fans all my life I assure you of that.”

How can you claim to understand what our fans think when you don’t even go to games?!

I am a multiple season season ticket holder and seen more games than all your usernames have seen added together

But thanks for your continued interest.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

This season-Transition season. on 23:03 - Jan 27 with 823 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 16:26 - Jan 27 by LittleEnglandJack

I find the notion that transition seasons 'don't exist' -akin to the loch ness monster or fairies-laughable to be honest. Of course they exist. Just about every pundit on TV will have used the term at some point.

It doesn't have to be a season, of course. Sometimes managers come in and hit the ground running in weeks. Other times you can have 2 or more transition seasons. I think most people would agree that Klopp's first two seasons (at least) at Liverpool were transition seasons. By Liverpool's historical standards being losing finalists twice and regaining Champions league football after a 3 year absence is pretty average, but everyone could see that side moving in the right direction. Within years they'd win the Champions league and the premier league.

So yes, it can take a new manager a season or more to put together a team capable of achieving their goals. Who knows if Russ will be ultimately successful, but we're too early into the process to tell. Even if we finish mid-table this season that would be far from the aberration that some on here clearly think it is.

If we're still flapping about in mid-table in 2 or 3 years time, making the same mistakes at the back as we are now, then we might look back and concede it hasn't worked out.

But to claim that 'transition season' is just a cover for poor performances (which, by the way, hasn't been the case all season) is a nonsense. At the moment our performances have been hit and miss, players have come in and gone out, there have have been great results and terrible ones.

Just like you would expect from... oh, what do they call it? Oh yeah... a transition season.

They don’t exist. Not in the way they are being used here anyway.

Seasons happen where a club is transitioning, sure - that’s almost every season. But the notion of this “transition season” where you must write it off completely doesn’t exist. That’s just made up nonsense because it’s convenient.

As others have said, clubs are continually evolving and transitioning. Why are we transitioning after 46 games but not after 47? Who decided it would take until the 47th league game?

If we change half the side after the 46th game, do we then write off the next 46 games and end it on the 93rd game?

We have changed the style drastically before many times. No manager has needed to write off a whole season, and most certainly didn’t have the benefit of millions to spend either.

I see people already trying to now extend this mythical “transition season” to “a season or two”. It’s pure madness and is simply talked about to explain away poor results without having to face up to the fact we are underperforming. It takes away accountability and responsibility.

As others have correctly stated if we were in the top 6, nobody would be calling this a transition season, the only reason they are is because we have in the main been pretty shocking.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 23:06]

This season-Transition season. on 23:16 - Jan 27 with 808 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 21:23 - Jan 27 by raynor94

MK Dons were among the teams expected to make a play off challenge in the first year after promotion.

I think they were around 10th favourites for the title. Promoted teams have excellent records in that division. So the notion of him “keeping them up” is not really something I give much credence to.

He took over early in the season (early Nov). I don’t even think they were in the relegation zone, if so then it was barely. I think he took them from 21st to 19th over the course of 7 months.

The season after they were 8th favourites for the title and didn’t even manage a top half finish.

MK dons have expected to be pushing for playoffs ever since they were promoted. They only started to achieve what they were expected to after he left.

They are now 5th.

That’s not me having a go at Martin either as I’m sure some will try to say. I’m just stating the facts of the MK Dons reign. I think he does have potential if he loses the stubborn streak and opens up to learn.

But his way of playing has meant his teams have always underperformed which suggests it is not fit for purpose and has nothing to do with this newly coined “period of transition”, there isn’t a shred of evidence that his way of playing gets his teams playing at optimum levels, only evidence pointing to the contrary.

Every single year of management (now into his third season) he has talked about building and transitioning. The more perceptive out there may well think that is some form of shield for critique something he has often tried to avoid, he doesn’t like critique clearly - which could well be why he seems to fall out with players at a rate I can’t remember happening before.

His refusal to take criticism was also noted at MK Dons as were the excuses as to why nobody should give that critique.

It’s a very easy after match explanation. “We dominated”, “we will get better”, “we are building”.

That seems to have been the mantra after every defeat for his last 3 seasons of management. You can cut and paste sentences like that from 3 seasons ago and they would fit perfectly like they were uttered yesterday.

Where as others that have been in the game the same amount of time are learning from defeats and taking responsibility and accountability, Martin continues to refuse to be critiqued and continues to assume his way is best using “transition” as a shield.

That’s why I’m concerned for Martin’s development, and by proxy, ours.

[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 23:34]

This season-Transition season. on 00:23 - Jan 28 with 770 viewsReslovenSwan1

This season-Transition season. on 23:03 - Jan 27 by Dr_Parnassus

They don’t exist. Not in the way they are being used here anyway.

Seasons happen where a club is transitioning, sure - that’s almost every season. But the notion of this “transition season” where you must write it off completely doesn’t exist. That’s just made up nonsense because it’s convenient.

As others have said, clubs are continually evolving and transitioning. Why are we transitioning after 46 games but not after 47? Who decided it would take until the 47th league game?

If we change half the side after the 46th game, do we then write off the next 46 games and end it on the 93rd game?

We have changed the style drastically before many times. No manager has needed to write off a whole season, and most certainly didn’t have the benefit of millions to spend either.

I see people already trying to now extend this mythical “transition season” to “a season or two”. It’s pure madness and is simply talked about to explain away poor results without having to face up to the fact we are underperforming. It takes away accountability and responsibility.

As others have correctly stated if we were in the top 6, nobody would be calling this a transition season, the only reason they are is because we have in the main been pretty shocking.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 23:06]

Pep had a transition season . He did not go close to winning the league in his first season and people were questioning whether he could adapt the the English games. Martinez and Brendan had transition seasons and both were successful with promotions. Brendan has to transition and both Watford and Reading and was sacked as Reading lost patience with him. He walked into a well organised team left by Sousa with Martinez characteristics already in place.

It relates to the gradual change of player profile to suit the new game plan. One season and one preseason with three windows should suffice. There is also the aspect of integrating young players. Swansea talk of in house recruitment. I was alarmed to see Hamer, Naughton, Bennett and Smith featuring as these are 'ordinary joe' veterans in the main. Not players for the long term. Cabango has since been brought in and Fisher purchased. Smith may be replaced by a new signing. The spine of the team could be the basis for the next few seasons.

The 46 /47 talk has no meaning for me. It will be difficult to get promotion from this position but a 6th place is not out of the question. Swansea fans are realists.

Game 1 with no point deficits should be an easier task especially with a full pre season and returning loan players. Things have to be settled and a good start needed usually. In fact even given that this season is in transition there should by now be signs of the team clicking. If it is not clicking by the Spring doubts will arise. No one is writing off this season but people have reasonable expectations.

Wise sage since Toshack era

This season-Transition season. on 00:50 - Jan 28 with 768 viewsYouBackJastard

This season-Transition season. on 22:49 - Jan 27 by Dr_Parnassus

I am a multiple season season ticket holder and seen more games than all your usernames have seen added together

But thanks for your continued interest.

You haven’t seen a single game of ours this season and you claim to speak for the common people?! As delusional as a Tory claiming to speak for the working class
This season-Transition season. on 00:53 - Jan 28 with 766 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 00:23 - Jan 28 by ReslovenSwan1

Pep had a transition season . He did not go close to winning the league in his first season and people were questioning whether he could adapt the the English games. Martinez and Brendan had transition seasons and both were successful with promotions. Brendan has to transition and both Watford and Reading and was sacked as Reading lost patience with him. He walked into a well organised team left by Sousa with Martinez characteristics already in place.

It relates to the gradual change of player profile to suit the new game plan. One season and one preseason with three windows should suffice. There is also the aspect of integrating young players. Swansea talk of in house recruitment. I was alarmed to see Hamer, Naughton, Bennett and Smith featuring as these are 'ordinary joe' veterans in the main. Not players for the long term. Cabango has since been brought in and Fisher purchased. Smith may be replaced by a new signing. The spine of the team could be the basis for the next few seasons.

The 46 /47 talk has no meaning for me. It will be difficult to get promotion from this position but a 6th place is not out of the question. Swansea fans are realists.

Game 1 with no point deficits should be an easier task especially with a full pre season and returning loan players. Things have to be settled and a good start needed usually. In fact even given that this season is in transition there should by now be signs of the team clicking. If it is not clicking by the Spring doubts will arise. No one is writing off this season but people have reasonable expectations.

Pep did not have a transition season, we have already established that. He did successfully transition the style in that season though if that is what you are referring to? Not the same thing though.

He took them from the 1.77 points per game prior to his arrival to 2.05 points per game, he then built on that.

That’s not writing off a whole season because he is implementing new things, that’s implementing new things and improving on what he took over.

Not remotely similar to this newly coined transition season where you write off a whole year of disappointing performances and results off.

Pep immediately significantly improved Man City from day 1 and it showed that season. Just as Martinez, Rodgers, Sousa, Laudrup, Cooper all notably did from the year prior to their arrival and their new implementation of style and players.

This season-Transition season. on 00:56 - Jan 28 with 765 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 00:50 - Jan 28 by YouBackJastard

You haven’t seen a single game of ours this season and you claim to speak for the common people?! As delusional as a Tory claiming to speak for the working class

Ive pretty much seen them all. I missed two… close though.

Don’t cry just because I’m successful and have moved from the area, you can be too if you work hard enough.

You claim to go to games this season and still think Flynn Downes was “constantly needlessly sent off”, sadly whether you attend or watch on a screen you remain clueless as to what is going on. You existence on here has more to do with me than the club you and your various usernames claim to support.

I know more current season ticket holding Swansea fans than you have had trolling posts. Now that number is significant, none of them utter this “transition season” rubbish.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 1:03]

This season-Transition season. on 02:17 - Jan 28 with 738 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 21:17 - Jan 27 by vetchonian

Piroe is the best striker we have had at the club for a long long time.

Without Piroe this season, God knows where we would be, doesn’t bear thinking about.

This season-Transition season. on 06:02 - Jan 28 with 719 viewsYouBackJastard

This season-Transition season. on 00:56 - Jan 28 by Dr_Parnassus

Ive pretty much seen them all. I missed two… close though.

Don’t cry just because I’m successful and have moved from the area, you can be too if you work hard enough.

You claim to go to games this season and still think Flynn Downes was “constantly needlessly sent off”, sadly whether you attend or watch on a screen you remain clueless as to what is going on. You existence on here has more to do with me than the club you and your various usernames claim to support.

I know more current season ticket holding Swansea fans than you have had trolling posts. Now that number is significant, none of them utter this “transition season” rubbish.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 1:03]

You haven’t spoken to a single match going fan this season - fact. Sorry if that’s too much to take. Stop pretending to speak for us.
This season-Transition season. on 06:25 - Jan 28 with 708 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 06:02 - Jan 28 by YouBackJastard

You haven’t spoken to a single match going fan this season - fact. Sorry if that’s too much to take. Stop pretending to speak for us.

That’s not a fact in the slightest. Stop lying to try and get attention all the time, it’s boring.

I love the notion, usually uttered by morons, that you can only have an opinion if you watch the game from the single angle that they prefer regardless if they are littered with errors and inaccuracies with a deep lack of understanding of the game.

Thankfully that viewpoint is usually only limited to trolls that have no comeback to factual points being made. No shock there then that you get again position yourself at the front of that particular queue

This season-Transition season. on 06:37 - Jan 28 with 704 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 00:50 - Jan 28 by YouBackJastard

none of us went to anymore than 2 games last season but that didn't or doesnt stop the views and comments on our play despite none of us being there

This season-Transition season. on 06:53 - Jan 28 with 702 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 21:38 - Jan 27 by raynor94

I have no dislike of Martin I just have concerns about his ability to manage us to success.
Those concerns are based on what I have seen on the pitch,what I have discovered on line about his past history and also am concerned about his man management as he seems to have lots of issues with players eg Piroe Obafemi,Whittaker
What has Cooper to do with the above..Saturday the first half there was zero atmosphere as the football was dull someone sitting behind me joked about bringing a jigsaw next time.
it picked up just after half time and when we got the goal...but how you can comment on last season when we werent in the ground.
By the way it seems as though that lucky fraud Cooper is possibly heading for the playoffs for the third season in succession,taking a team who were bottom 3 when he arrived above us without a preseason....and according to Forest fans has changed their style too.Whilst Martin is counties he did at MK Dkns...I'm sorry I dont share the rose tinted optimism that exists for Martin and for the sake of the Swans i really hope I'm proven wrong but for me the facts say otherwise

This season-Transition season. on 08:08 - Jan 28 with 667 viewsjojaca

This season-Transition season. on 06:53 - Jan 28 by vetchonian

I have no dislike of Martin I just have concerns about his ability to manage us to success.
Those concerns are based on what I have seen on the pitch,what I have discovered on line about his past history and also am concerned about his man management as he seems to have lots of issues with players eg Piroe Obafemi,Whittaker
What has Cooper to do with the above..Saturday the first half there was zero atmosphere as the football was dull someone sitting behind me joked about bringing a jigsaw next time.
it picked up just after half time and when we got the goal...but how you can comment on last season when we werent in the ground.
By the way it seems as though that lucky fraud Cooper is possibly heading for the playoffs for the third season in succession,taking a team who were bottom 3 when he arrived above us without a preseason....and according to Forest fans has changed their style too.Whilst Martin is counties he did at MK Dkns...I'm sorry I dont share the rose tinted optimism that exists for Martin and for the sake of the Swans i really hope I'm proven wrong but for me the facts say otherwise

Copper is proving the transition season theory wrong at the moment. Football is a results business. There is no evidence that Russell can produce promotion winning football teams at the moment and the minute he does, you will see a poaching Premier League team calling.

Even when you know, you never know?

This season-Transition season. on 08:27 - Jan 28 with 655 viewsraynor94

This season-Transition season. on 23:16 - Jan 27 by Dr_Parnassus

MK Dons were among the teams expected to make a play off challenge in the first year after promotion.

I think they were around 10th favourites for the title. Promoted teams have excellent records in that division. So the notion of him “keeping them up” is not really something I give much credence to.

He took over early in the season (early Nov). I don’t even think they were in the relegation zone, if so then it was barely. I think he took them from 21st to 19th over the course of 7 months.

The season after they were 8th favourites for the title and didn’t even manage a top half finish.

MK dons have expected to be pushing for playoffs ever since they were promoted. They only started to achieve what they were expected to after he left.

They are now 5th.

That’s not me having a go at Martin either as I’m sure some will try to say. I’m just stating the facts of the MK Dons reign. I think he does have potential if he loses the stubborn streak and opens up to learn.

But his way of playing has meant his teams have always underperformed which suggests it is not fit for purpose and has nothing to do with this newly coined “period of transition”, there isn’t a shred of evidence that his way of playing gets his teams playing at optimum levels, only evidence pointing to the contrary.

Every single year of management (now into his third season) he has talked about building and transitioning. The more perceptive out there may well think that is some form of shield for critique something he has often tried to avoid, he doesn’t like critique clearly - which could well be why he seems to fall out with players at a rate I can’t remember happening before.

His refusal to take criticism was also noted at MK Dons as were the excuses as to why nobody should give that critique.

It’s a very easy after match explanation. “We dominated”, “we will get better”, “we are building”.

That seems to have been the mantra after every defeat for his last 3 seasons of management. You can cut and paste sentences like that from 3 seasons ago and they would fit perfectly like they were uttered yesterday.

Where as others that have been in the game the same amount of time are learning from defeats and taking responsibility and accountability, Martin continues to refuse to be critiqued and continues to assume his way is best using “transition” as a shield.

That’s why I’m concerned for Martin’s development, and by proxy, ours.

[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 23:34]

You might be able to find it but I think MK were in the relegation when Tisdale was sacked, not forgetting the season ended in March.

34 games

This season-Transition season. on 08:50 - Jan 28 with 645 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 08:27 - Jan 28 by raynor94

You might be able to find it but I think MK were in the relegation when Tisdale was sacked, not forgetting the season ended in March.

34 games

It would have been only just if so. I’m pretty sure it was 21st to 19th.

Edit - Found it.

They were in the relegation zone by goal difference alone.

So he essentially made up the 2 points needed to take 19th place over the remainder of the season from a squad expected to do well that season.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 8:59]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024