Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This season-Transition season. 22:56 - Jan 26 with 6394 viewsmagicdaps10

I am just amazed that some fans don't see that this season is a transition season, absolutely Amazes me!

We lose our parachute payments, over half our first team and management team YET some think we are a top 6 team.

I just want to see what everyone thinks in one post in regards if they see this as a transition season or we should be pushing higher in the league.

Me personally as I asked, we are about right where we are considering the few games we have in hand and all mentioned above.

Shhot away all.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

This season-Transition season. on 09:15 - Jan 28 with 1011 viewsraynor94

This season-Transition season. on 08:50 - Jan 28 by Dr_Parnassus

It would have been only just if so. I’m pretty sure it was 21st to 19th.

Edit - Found it.

They were in the relegation zone by goal difference alone.

So he essentially made up the 2 points needed to take 19th place over the remainder of the season from a squad expected to do well that season.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 8:59]

Well Tisdale couldn't get a tune of that well fancied squad, and Martin had 18 games that season, and made sure they were safe

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

This season-Transition season. on 09:22 - Jan 28 with 1002 viewsbuilthjack

This transitional season will stand us in good stead for next. Play offs next season.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

This season-Transition season. on 09:23 - Jan 28 with 1001 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 09:15 - Jan 28 by raynor94

Well Tisdale couldn't get a tune of that well fancied squad, and Martin had 18 games that season, and made sure they were safe

That happens in football, but it was hardly a massive turnaround.

21st to 19th could have been the realistic trajectory regardless if they sacked Tisdale or not, it was only 2 points to make up over half a season.

How they are performing now is what that squad should have been churning out. Play off contenders.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 9:47]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

This season-Transition season. on 10:12 - Jan 28 with 976 viewsmagicdaps10

This season-Transition season. on 09:22 - Jan 28 by builthjack

This transitional season will stand us in good stead for next. Play offs next season.

Let's hope so.

Its a big transition taken place this season and I would certainly hope that it shows some sort of fruition next season.

We shall see.

This season-Transition season. on 10:54 - Jan 28 with 966 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 10:12 - Jan 28 by magicdaps10

Let's hope so.

Its a big transition taken place this season and I would certainly hope that it shows some sort of fruition next season.

We shall see.

If it doesn’t then call it another transition season.

Job done.

This season-Transition season. on 11:09 - Jan 28 with 957 viewsonehunglow

This season-Transition season. on 10:54 - Jan 28 by Dr_Parnassus

If it doesn’t then call it another transition season.

Job done.

Transition seems to be THE word of the times right now.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

This season-Transition season. on 11:47 - Jan 28 with 945 viewsmagicdaps10

This season-Transition season. on 11:09 - Jan 28 by onehunglow

It's one of those modern words.

Could you imagine Sir Matt talking to George Best about over loads 😁
Could well imagine the response 😂

This season-Transition season. on 12:10 - Jan 28 with 928 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 11:09 - Jan 28 by onehunglow

Transition, building, dominated, work in progress.

MK Dons were sick of it going into their third season, you can see why.

Login to get fewer ads

This season-Transition season. on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 910 viewsCatullus

This season-Transition season. on 06:37 - Jan 28 by vetchonian

none of us went to anymore than 2 games last season but that didn't or doesnt stop the views and comments on our play despite none of us being there

Well yes but those were our own comments and opinions, we are not claiming to talk for others. This season I have spoken to others at the ground but I do not claim to represent them.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

This season-Transition season. on 13:17 - Jan 28 with 889 viewsARQS

I haven't posted for ages but this is a really interesting thread.

I think most fans, of any club, would have fairly low expectations from a season whereby we lost our management team, had no proper pre-season and lost probably 4 or 5 of our most key players from last season (Ayew, Lowe, Woodman, Roberts, Guehi).

Whatever you think about the replacements, they have generally been younger and less experienced. Connor and Ayew have 130 odd international caps between them. EDIT - I forgot about Christie, although he's only been here a couple of weeks.

You then add to the mix the fact that it was the first season without parachute payments and the fact we have a manager who wants to impose a new style on us (whether we agree it's any good or not) and it becomes even more difficult.

Transfer wise, January has caused even more disruption but there are causes for optimism with the last 3 results, even if the performances haven't been that convincing (second half v Huddersfield aside)

Despite that, I don't think the season should be written off, nor do I think it has been. A comfortable mid table finish is a decent/average return from this season and it is probably what we are going to achieve.

Just is still out on Martin for me, however. Could still be good, could still be crap. He at least deserves the chance for us to find out one way or another.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 13:23]
This season-Transition season. on 13:23 - Jan 28 with 886 viewsARQS

I would also say that Martinez and Rodgers had a core of absolutely fantastic players who went on to play, quite comfortably, at higher levels and who already had a decent amount of games under their belt.

It's unfair to compare those squads to what Martin has to work with. Piroe may be excellent but he is still young and inexperienced and also playing in a team with barely any creative flair (although I do think some of that is on Martin). I think Downes is great but it's still very early days... how many of our other players do we think could go on and play regularly in the PL? Not many
This season-Transition season. on 13:27 - Jan 28 with 880 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 12:34 - Jan 28 by Catullus

Well yes but those were our own comments and opinions, we are not claiming to talk for others. This season I have spoken to others at the ground but I do not claim to represent them.

Who is claiming to speak for others and claiming they represent them then?

Any quotes? Apart from the notorious troll who bizarrely uttered it I mean…

This season-Transition season. on 13:36 - Jan 28 with 875 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 13:23 - Jan 28 by ARQS

I would also say that Martinez and Rodgers had a core of absolutely fantastic players who went on to play, quite comfortably, at higher levels and who already had a decent amount of games under their belt.

It's unfair to compare those squads to what Martin has to work with. Piroe may be excellent but he is still young and inexperienced and also playing in a team with barely any creative flair (although I do think some of that is on Martin). I think Downes is great but it's still very early days... how many of our other players do we think could go on and play regularly in the PL? Not many

My comparsion with MArtinez was aimed mainly at how both MArtin and MArtinez began their managerial careers in Div 1 both taking up the reigns "mid season" MArtinez at the end of his second season and full season in charge gained promotion from the league as champions...MArtin 's MKDons in finished 13th.

FOr whatever reason it seems many fans have decided its ok we can excuse the pooor results as we are in transition...
Remember we lost our managemtn team plus physio and analyst, and top two scorers when MArtinez left we had a new coach and backroom staff and yet we still finished higher than the season before....I dont recall the then board or any of us fans using the word transistion then...and we had no monies then either!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

This season-Transition season. on 13:37 - Jan 28 with 874 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 13:17 - Jan 28 by ARQS

I haven't posted for ages but this is a really interesting thread.

I think most fans, of any club, would have fairly low expectations from a season whereby we lost our management team, had no proper pre-season and lost probably 4 or 5 of our most key players from last season (Ayew, Lowe, Woodman, Roberts, Guehi).

Whatever you think about the replacements, they have generally been younger and less experienced. Connor and Ayew have 130 odd international caps between them. EDIT - I forgot about Christie, although he's only been here a couple of weeks.

You then add to the mix the fact that it was the first season without parachute payments and the fact we have a manager who wants to impose a new style on us (whether we agree it's any good or not) and it becomes even more difficult.

Transfer wise, January has caused even more disruption but there are causes for optimism with the last 3 results, even if the performances haven't been that convincing (second half v Huddersfield aside)

Despite that, I don't think the season should be written off, nor do I think it has been. A comfortable mid table finish is a decent/average return from this season and it is probably what we are going to achieve.

Just is still out on Martin for me, however. Could still be good, could still be crap. He at least deserves the chance for us to find out one way or another.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 13:23]

Not sure what this first season without parachute payments excuse is all about, seen that a few times now.

This season we have spent more on transfers than all but one of our football league seasons in our history. The two previous to this we barely spent anything on transfers.

Being beholden to paying the likes of Routledge, Dyer, Fulton et al Premier League wages is a hindrance not a benefit.

People also don’t seem to realise that by getting to the play off final we got £20m in central solidarity payments and central distribution payments. Cooper and his endeavours ensured what is essentially another parachute payment for us spread over the next couple of years.

Hence why we have been able to spend over £5m on players this season.

This season-Transition season. on 13:41 - Jan 28 with 869 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 13:23 - Jan 28 by ARQS

If you asked that same question in 2013 you would probably have given the same answer though.

I think it was a huge surprise to us all, and even to themselves that they were able to compete so well at a higher level.

Nobody was saying it was the greatest side at the time, that’s a view steeped in hindsight. A correct view of course, but we do not have that same benefit of hindsight with this squad.

I would say the likes of Christie, Wolf, Piroe, Grimes, Downes, Cabango and maybe Pato are equal to what we had back then. The main difference for me is the style of play, we played quickly and with width.

Now we are slow, hog the ball in non threatening areas far too much and overplay at the back with limited threat of springing quick and direct attacks. Martinez and Rodgers both utilised wingers in order to do that.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 13:44]

This season-Transition season. on 13:44 - Jan 28 with 862 viewsonehunglow

Best not to upset anyone or anything Trans these days as you'd be in deep doodoo

This season-Transition season. on 15:42 - Jan 28 with 836 viewsARQS

This season-Transition season. on 13:36 - Jan 28 by vetchonian

My comparsion with MArtinez was aimed mainly at how both MArtin and MArtinez began their managerial careers in Div 1 both taking up the reigns "mid season" MArtinez at the end of his second season and full season in charge gained promotion from the league as champions...MArtin 's MKDons in finished 13th.

FOr whatever reason it seems many fans have decided its ok we can excuse the pooor results as we are in transition...
Remember we lost our managemtn team plus physio and analyst, and top two scorers when MArtinez left we had a new coach and backroom staff and yet we still finished higher than the season before....I dont recall the then board or any of us fans using the word transistion then...and we had no monies then either!

I still don't think that's much of a fair comparison because at the time we were totally different to MK Dons.

We weren't anywhere near as bad as they were in League One. We'd been hanging around in upper mid table for most of the season from what I can recall. When Jackett was sacked we'd lost 3 on the bounce but also his last game was the first home game we'd lost since September.

By the time Martinez came in, we were on an upper trajectory as a club. Obviously that isn't detracting from what he did but a core of players had been there a while (Britton/Tate/Monk/Robinson plus a couple of others)

Sousa did an excellent job considering the goals we lost but again, we were still a side on the up and we still had an excellent core (Britton/Tate/Monk/Williams/Rangel/DeVries).

As soon as we were happy for Cooper to build the core of our team with loan players and Ayew, Roberts who was going into his final year, same with Grimes (who obviously has stayed) we were always playing the short game - sacrificing the medium term in order to push for promotion whilst we were in a stronger position to.

Fans can debate each player's own individual merits and the semantics around the meaning of the word 'transition' but there can't have been many clubs that have lost their two top goal scorers, their best CB, a GK who had started all but 1(?) league game in 2 years and someone as influential as Connor Roberts and bounced back like nothing had happened.

Martin came in at a time where we were potentially on the brink of a far worse season than we've had and he's done okay. Made some nice signings, there seems to be semblance of a plan there, even if at the moment the execution is poor/we don't have the right players.

We have certainly had some poor results but that happens, even in our best seasons. This season is pretty much going as everyone expected it to.
This season-Transition season. on 15:51 - Jan 28 with 831 viewsARQS

This season-Transition season. on 13:41 - Jan 28 by Dr_Parnassus

If you asked that same question in 2013 you would probably have given the same answer though.

I think it was a huge surprise to us all, and even to themselves that they were able to compete so well at a higher level.

Nobody was saying it was the greatest side at the time, that’s a view steeped in hindsight. A correct view of course, but we do not have that same benefit of hindsight with this squad.

I would say the likes of Christie, Wolf, Piroe, Grimes, Downes, Cabango and maybe Pato are equal to what we had back then. The main difference for me is the style of play, we played quickly and with width.

Now we are slow, hog the ball in non threatening areas far too much and overplay at the back with limited threat of springing quick and direct attacks. Martinez and Rodgers both utilised wingers in order to do that.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 13:44]

Of course nobody was saying that at the time - but it is now a fact that a number of our players from that era went on to be among the best players the club has ever had. So at the time, those managers had fantastic players at their disposal.

As things stand, none of our current squad have had those careers. Whether they do remains to be seen. In 10 years, we could be looking back on this season and saying what an abject failure it was - Piroe, Wolf, Downes all having had fantastic careers tearing it up all over Europe's top leagues and we've had a limp, uninspiring midtable/lower midtable finish.

Alternatively, they could all have been massive flops and we could be praising Martin for getting a tune out of a couple of players no other manager had been able to since.

I don't disagree with your view about our style of play but I am not sure we have the players to totally be able to do what he wants to do. There are still huge gaps in the squad which don't look like they'll be addressed this window.
This season-Transition season. on 15:53 - Jan 28 with 829 viewsARQS

This season-Transition season. on 13:37 - Jan 28 by Dr_Parnassus

Not sure what this first season without parachute payments excuse is all about, seen that a few times now.

This season we have spent more on transfers than all but one of our football league seasons in our history. The two previous to this we barely spent anything on transfers.

Being beholden to paying the likes of Routledge, Dyer, Fulton et al Premier League wages is a hindrance not a benefit.

People also don’t seem to realise that by getting to the play off final we got £20m in central solidarity payments and central distribution payments. Cooper and his endeavours ensured what is essentially another parachute payment for us spread over the next couple of years.

Hence why we have been able to spend over £5m on players this season.

Don't disagree with your post.

I suppose more than anything the summer they ended was always going to be a bit of a line in the sand.
This season-Transition season. on 16:28 - Jan 28 with 793 viewsWhiterockin

This season-Transition season. on 15:53 - Jan 28 by ARQS

I suppose more than anything the summer they ended was always going to be a bit of a line in the sand.

Good to see you posting mate, don't let anyone put you off saying exactly what you think.
This season-Transition season. on 16:47 - Jan 28 with 764 viewsonehunglow

This season-Transition season. on 15:53 - Jan 28 by ARQS

You seem to be a new poster.
A cracking start .
Good content

This season-Transition season. on 16:53 - Jan 28 with 761 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 15:42 - Jan 28 by ARQS

I still don't think that's much of a fair comparison because at the time we were totally different to MK Dons.

We weren't anywhere near as bad as they were in League One. We'd been hanging around in upper mid table for most of the season from what I can recall. When Jackett was sacked we'd lost 3 on the bounce but also his last game was the first home game we'd lost since September.

By the time Martinez came in, we were on an upper trajectory as a club. Obviously that isn't detracting from what he did but a core of players had been there a while (Britton/Tate/Monk/Robinson plus a couple of others)

Sousa did an excellent job considering the goals we lost but again, we were still a side on the up and we still had an excellent core (Britton/Tate/Monk/Williams/Rangel/DeVries).

As soon as we were happy for Cooper to build the core of our team with loan players and Ayew, Roberts who was going into his final year, same with Grimes (who obviously has stayed) we were always playing the short game - sacrificing the medium term in order to push for promotion whilst we were in a stronger position to.

Fans can debate each player's own individual merits and the semantics around the meaning of the word 'transition' but there can't have been many clubs that have lost their two top goal scorers, their best CB, a GK who had started all but 1(?) league game in 2 years and someone as influential as Connor Roberts and bounced back like nothing had happened.

Martin came in at a time where we were potentially on the brink of a far worse season than we've had and he's done okay. Made some nice signings, there seems to be semblance of a plan there, even if at the moment the execution is poor/we don't have the right players.

We have certainly had some poor results but that happens, even in our best seasons. This season is pretty much going as everyone expected it to.

How do we know that had we got promoted the loans (mainly Woodman and Geuhi) might have possibly become permenant?
After all Geuhi was sold to Palace..so why not beocme our ploayer given we would have had access to the "riches of the PL"
Same could be said of Ayew and Roberts who was itching to play in the PL like his mates Oli and Dan James had done...had we got promoted just maybe he would have stayed.

Like I said when Sousa joined we lost out top two goal scorers yet we improved league standing on the previous .
I think the strategy always was to get back to the PL ASAP the loan route gave us access to "quality players" without excessive cost with the potential to make them ours if we got up.Failure to get a striker last January cost us....but that ship has sailed.

For me it seems we are constanly looking for excuses to support our failures...I understand how people wnat to be optimisitc but the "blind faith" that many have and belief that MArtin will have us up there next season is strange given how he has no history of doing so....
Toshack in his first season git us promoted and again the following season, MArtinez improved in his first then got u spromoted the second season ..18 months after taking over at MKDOns as others have quoted Martin wass still using the words Transition, building before joining us and over half a season on the same script is being read.....thats why I dont share the optimism....I hope I am proven wrong but I see nothing to give me the hope....But we are all entitled to our opinions
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 16:57]

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

This season-Transition season. on 16:56 - Jan 28 with 747 viewsonehunglow

This season-Transition season. on 16:53 - Jan 28 by vetchonian

How do we know that had we got promoted the loans (mainly Woodman and Geuhi) might have possibly become permenant?
After all Geuhi was sold to Palace..so why not beocme our ploayer given we would have had access to the "riches of the PL"
Same could be said of Ayew and Roberts who was itching to play in the PL like his mates Oli and Dan James had done...had we got promoted just maybe he would have stayed.

Like I said when Sousa joined we lost out top two goal scorers yet we improved league standing on the previous .
I think the strategy always was to get back to the PL ASAP the loan route gave us access to "quality players" without excessive cost with the potential to make them ours if we got up.Failure to get a striker last January cost us....but that ship has sailed.

For me it seems we are constanly looking for excuses to support our failures...I understand how people wnat to be optimisitc but the "blind faith" that many have and belief that MArtin will have us up there next season is strange given how he has no history of doing so....
Toshack in his first season git us promoted and again the following season, MArtinez improved in his first then got u spromoted the second season ..18 months after taking over at MKDOns as others have quoted Martin wass still using the words Transition, building before joining us and over half a season on the same script is being read.....thats why I dont share the optimism....I hope I am proven wrong but I see nothing to give me the hope....But we are all entitled to our opinions

Sous our most underrated manager ever.
Our biggest lost too.

Now there was a fella we could have entrusted a long term plan of transition .

This season-Transition season. on 17:38 - Jan 28 with 732 viewsARQS

This season-Transition season. on 16:53 - Jan 28 by vetchonian

We may very well have added those players. I am not sure Ayew would have stayed as apparently he's on silly wages again now but Roberts undoubtedly would have done. Would we have spent £20m on Guehi? Possibly. A similar amount on Woodman? I'm not so sure.

I wasn't being critical of the route we took but it was always a do or die plan essentially. And we didn't do. So we started the season with massive holes in the team and the heart ripped out.

I haven't seen many people who have blind faith in Martin. Just fans who acknowledge that we are a work in progress, for the reasons I gave earlier. I expect most of us will be expecting a serious push for the playoffs next season, at the very least and if that doesn't come then I think a lot of the support for Martin will go. And probably pretty quickly too.
This season-Transition season. on 00:06 - Jan 29 with 661 viewsAndyCole

'Transition season' is such a misnomer, in so many ways.

Martin was close to being ditched, 'won't make it to Xmas' was the word.

We then got some decent results. He garnered some support from Jake S, esp. Yet another poor run, with morale sapping, he'll be gone.

The investors are investors, not fans. Success is all that matters.

Bonkers, ill conceived thread, in so many ways.

'I just want to see what everyone thinks in one post in regards if they see this as a transition season or we should be pushing higher in the league.'

Such the most ridiculous sentence, this year and beyond, always.

We should always be pushing higher in the league. It's our raison d'etre, ffs. Regardless. Of everything.

Surely this thread ought to be re-badged :

- This season- Why oh why are we so way below our standards of results and performances, still, after so long of transitioning and rebuilding - and spending comparatively so very much, and yet still looking to spend so much more in January ?

'Shhot away, all' (as Daps says).................

My answer - a lack of togetherness and collective will of the players and the leadership team, a fundamental disbelief in the methods, system and ethos of brand Martin.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024