Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry Get Extra Tickets 09:08 - Jan 29 with 5508 viewsSaintNick

Saints gave them an extra allocation of tickets for the FA Cup game, they now have 325 more which they have sold out and will now have 5,100 supporters at the game.

Im glad to see that Saints have given them a little more rather than have empty seats at the game.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 13:15 - Feb 1 with 1450 viewssaints__fan__73

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 11:45 - Feb 1 by SaintNick

You miss the point, James Bond is entertainment, it is a film, the audience can't make a change to what happens.

Football is sport and the crowd motivates players, managers motivate players, if motivation is not a factor then yes you don't need a crowd, but you dont need a manager, the board can pick the team as they did 100 years ago.

Crowds change games, they influence referee's, they spur players on, using you James Bond analogy, I have see a crowd collectively shout when a player is about to be closed down and lose the ball meaning he has taken action.

As I say if you dont get it you dont get it, watch Fifa 22 or whatever its called

Funny, I thought we still needed managers when PL games were played in front of empty stadia....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:05 - Feb 1 with 1370 viewsChesham_Saint

You miss the point, James Bond is entertainment, it is a film, the audience can't make a change to what happens.

Football is sport and the crowd motivates players, managers motivate players, if motivation is not a factor then yes you don't need a crowd, but you dont need a manager, the board can pick the team as they did 100 years ago.

Crowds change games, they influence referee's, they spur players on, using you James Bond analogy, I have see a crowd collectively shout when a player is about to be closed down and lose the ball meaning he has taken action.

As I say if you dont get it you dont get it, watch Fifa 22 or whatever its called

73 was clearly not a fan way back when a certain Paul Bailey was playing for Bristol Rovers and essentially got, I think, Peter Osgood sent off during a game at Eastville.

When we next played Rovers at the Dell a mate of mine with a really load booming voice started chanting “We hate Bailey!”. Pretty soon almost every home fan was bawling this out. Full volume it reverberated around the ground, as almost everyone joined in. Bailey went to pieces and had to be subbed.

A while later Bailey had transferred to Everton and was warming up for them as a sub and again, virtually the whole crowd started chanting his name only this time it was “We want Bailey!”.

On he came and the chant changed to “We hate Bailey!’ And he had an absolute shocker.

Years later a friend was on holiday in Spain and got chatting to a couple by the pool. It turned out the guy was Bailey. He asked who my mate supported and when he heard it was Saints he looked shocked and admitted that the crowd really got to him and it was one of his worst experiences ever.

So, 73, crowds can have an effect.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:28 - Feb 1 with 1346 viewsPaleRider

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:05 - Feb 1 by Chesham_Saint

73 was clearly not a fan way back when a certain Paul Bailey was playing for Bristol Rovers and essentially got, I think, Peter Osgood sent off during a game at Eastville.

When we next played Rovers at the Dell a mate of mine with a really load booming voice started chanting “We hate Bailey!”. Pretty soon almost every home fan was bawling this out. Full volume it reverberated around the ground, as almost everyone joined in. Bailey went to pieces and had to be subbed.

A while later Bailey had transferred to Everton and was warming up for them as a sub and again, virtually the whole crowd started chanting his name only this time it was “We want Bailey!”.

On he came and the chant changed to “We hate Bailey!’ And he had an absolute shocker.

Years later a friend was on holiday in Spain and got chatting to a couple by the pool. It turned out the guy was Bailey. He asked who my mate supported and when he heard it was Saints he looked shocked and admitted that the crowd really got to him and it was one of his worst experiences ever.

Chesh - I thought it was Blackburn and we won the return game 5-0. One of my favourite games ever. I think Steve Williams also got sent off at theirs. My memory is inclined to play tricks though!
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:49 - Feb 1 with 1330 viewsChesham_Saint

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:28 - Feb 1 by PaleRider

Chesh - I thought it was Blackburn and we won the return game 5-0. One of my favourite games ever. I think Steve Williams also got sent off at theirs. My memory is inclined to play tricks though!

Yes, you might well be right. I got my Rovers crossed probably! Whatever, Bailey most certainly didn’t enjoy the ‘Return’ fixture…

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:51 - Feb 1 with 1329 viewsPaleRider

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:49 - Feb 1 by Chesham_Saint

Yes, you might well be right. I got my Rovers crossed probably! Whatever, Bailey most certainly didn’t enjoy the ‘Return’ fixture…

Rose tinted specs but God it was fun watching Saints that season!
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:56 - Feb 1 with 1328 viewsChesham_Saint

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:51 - Feb 1 by PaleRider

Rose tinted specs but God it was fun watching Saints that season!

Nothing rose tinted about it. We were good, factor in the ever present spectre of tribal violence as well and it certainly stimulated the senses..!

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 16:46 - Feb 1 with 1290 viewssaints__fan__73

Is the Premier League a sport? I would say it is more entertainment than a sport. VAR has even been added to make it more entertaining, allegedly.

A sport was how it was in your beloved 70s and 80s where it was a game for the fans who came to watch and the success of teams was largely dictated by how many fans a team had as the more there were the more money the club earned.

This is nothing like we have today with the PL where it is a game made specifically for TV viewers around the world. How good a team is is dictated by how rich the billionaire (or country) that owns a club.

For years you bleated on about the fact that 'without the fans who go to games there is no PL as TV viewers would never watch a game with little or no 'atmosphere'

But then Covid came along and proved that you were 100% incorrect. Games were played with colourful banners over the seats and sound effects generated from computer games. And what happened? Did viewers switch off in their droves? Of course not, in fact they increased and if anything the quality of the games played without fans in attendance was better. I guess it stands to reason really, most people would be able to do their jobs better without a bunch of knuckle draggers yelling and singing at them.....

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 16:50 - Feb 1 with 1284 viewsfranniesTache

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 16:46 - Feb 1 by saints__fan__73

Is the Premier League a sport? I would say it is more entertainment than a sport. VAR has even been added to make it more entertaining, allegedly.

A sport was how it was in your beloved 70s and 80s where it was a game for the fans who came to watch and the success of teams was largely dictated by how many fans a team had as the more there were the more money the club earned.

This is nothing like we have today with the PL where it is a game made specifically for TV viewers around the world. How good a team is is dictated by how rich the billionaire (or country) that owns a club.

For years you bleated on about the fact that 'without the fans who go to games there is no PL as TV viewers would never watch a game with little or no 'atmosphere'

But then Covid came along and proved that you were 100% incorrect. Games were played with colourful banners over the seats and sound effects generated from computer games. And what happened? Did viewers switch off in their droves? Of course not, in fact they increased and if anything the quality of the games played without fans in attendance was better. I guess it stands to reason really, most people would be able to do their jobs better without a bunch of knuckle draggers yelling and singing at them.....

Funny you should mention covid/behind closed doors, since the science seems to prove Nick right when looking at that, and playing without fans reduced the home advantage

"In short, the data show both a "levelling" of home-away advantage and a swing in disciplinary trends. ESPN's Stats and Information Group analysed 288 Premier League games pre-lockdown from the 2019-20 season, and then the 317 matches since the restart (the remainder of 2019-20 and the 20-21 season so far).

The resulting stats saw a drop in goals scored at home (from 1.5 to 1.4 pre- and post-lockdown) and an 18% increase in away goals after lockdown."

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4312130/premier-lea
Login to get fewer ads

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 17:13 - Feb 1 with 1256 viewssaint68

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:56 - Feb 1 by Chesham_Saint

Nothing rose tinted about it. We were good, factor in the ever present spectre of tribal violence as well and it certainly stimulated the senses..!

Fantastic times indeed

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 18:14 - Feb 1 with 1221 viewsdirk_doone

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:05 - Feb 1 by Chesham_Saint

David Beckham also said the Dell was the ground he most hated playing at because the crowd was so close to the pitch and I remember he really took some very nasty abuse. It was worse for wingers and full backs because they had to run close to the crowd all the time and couldn't escape to the safety of the middle. George Best was another one who suffered dog's abuse at the Dell when he played for Fulham and got sent off.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2022 18:14]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 19:51 - Feb 1 with 1178 viewscocklebreath

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 18:14 - Feb 1 by dirk_doone

David Beckham also said the Dell was the ground he most hated playing at because the crowd was so close to the pitch and I remember he really took some very nasty abuse. It was worse for wingers and full backs because they had to run close to the crowd all the time and couldn't escape to the safety of the middle. George Best was another one who suffered dog's abuse at the Dell when he played for Fulham and got sent off.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2022 18:14]

Ian Wright wasn’t a fan ever

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 22:19 - Feb 1 with 1102 viewsericofarabia

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 14:28 - Feb 1 by PaleRider

It was John Bailey at Blackburn. He was involved in incidents that got a young Stevie Williams sent off, several other players booked and finally Ossie lost his rag with him and head butted him and got a Red. Sadly that was to be Ossie's last match for us.
The return match at The Dell did indeed see Bailey get the worst abuse I've ever seen an opposition player get until he eventually got subbed. The abuse ex players like Van Dick and Lolvren got was tame in comparison!!
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 07:56 - Feb 2 with 1014 viewsBarnetSaint

Yes Bailey really copped it, deservedly so.

Going back to the vocal issue, the last team to get the whole of the northam were Tott, i didn’t think they were loud that day.

This is a real chance to get through to the next round, i hope the fans ( esp in the 2 corners will be up for it, they were good v City. )
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 09:53 - Feb 2 with 962 viewsNumber_58

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 22:19 - Feb 1 by ericofarabia

It was John Bailey at Blackburn. He was involved in incidents that got a young Stevie Williams sent off, several other players booked and finally Ossie lost his rag with him and head butted him and got a Red. Sadly that was to be Ossie's last match for us.
The return match at The Dell did indeed see Bailey get the worst abuse I've ever seen an opposition player get until he eventually got subbed. The abuse ex players like Van Dick and Lolvren got was tame in comparison!!

Bailey later went on to Bristol City and must have been a captain or coach or something cos he had a column in the match programme when we played up there in the ZDS Cup and he actually mentioned how much we hated him.
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:09 - Feb 2 with 944 viewsSaintNick

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 16:46 - Feb 1 by saints__fan__73

You seem to forget that in lockdown when games were televised that there was a captive audience.

This thread generated a raft of posts talking about the enjoyment in football, once again you try to bring it all down.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:14 - Feb 2 with 943 viewssaints__fan__73

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:09 - Feb 2 by SaintNick

You seem to forget that in lockdown when games were televised that there was a captive audience.

This thread generated a raft of posts talking about the enjoyment in football, once again you try to bring it all down.

Enjoyment of football memories from the past though Nick isn't it. The one you are stuck in and unable to grasp things are very different now.

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:19 - Feb 2 with 939 viewsBuggalugs

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:14 - Feb 2 by saints__fan__73

Enjoyment of football memories from the past though Nick isn't it. The one you are stuck in and unable to grasp things are very different now.

Yes, we all go because we don't enjoy it.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:26 - Feb 2 with 936 viewssaints__fan__73

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:19 - Feb 2 by Buggalugs

Yes, we all go because we don't enjoy it.

Lots of fans do. it's the meeting up with mates, the having a drink before and after. The football part has become largely irrelevant.

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 11:26 - Feb 2 with 899 viewsPaleRider

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:26 - Feb 2 by saints__fan__73

Lots of fans do. it's the meeting up with mates, the having a drink before and after. The football part has become largely irrelevant.

I'm not a season ticket holder but I go to as many games as I can manage, both home and away. I would describe myself as a vocal supporter - I sing, I shout abuse at referees and opponents, I chat to the other fans around me and I stay until the bitter end. I come on here and share my opinions (for better or worse).

I have a serious question. How do you support Saints? I'm not getting at you but I just don't get it.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2022 11:30]
Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:06 - Feb 3 with 742 viewscocklebreath

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:14 - Feb 2 by saints__fan__73

I think I enjoy the football more now than when I used to meet my mates and get hammered pre match, now I go with my kids and actually watch what’s happening, it’s great, you should try it

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 11:27 - Feb 3 with 703 viewsfranniesTache

Coventry Get Extra Tickets on 10:06 - Feb 3 by cocklebreath

I think I enjoy the football more now than when I used to meet my mates and get hammered pre match, now I go with my kids and actually watch what’s happening, it’s great, you should try it

Be a bit weird if i took your kids to games mush
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024