Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool 14:23 - Dec 26 with 17481 viewsD_Alien

Very interesting changes to the line-up

Brierley not in the matchday squad...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64022637
[Post edited 26 Dec 2022 14:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 17:28 - Dec 29 with 903 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:02 - Dec 29 by TVOS1907

Neither am I, James, but I'm just thinking about it logically.

Most clubs, especially at our level, won't employ dedicated scouts, per se, but they will have a network of scouts across the country, who could be ex-Dale players/managers, connections of ex-Dale players/managers, football people who know ex-Dale players/managers, people the current manager has used before, and so on.

So, when we are playing someone like Gillingham, a scout based in that area would file reports on The Gills, as well as Dale's management team being able to watch Gillingham games for themselves via an online portal.

These scouts would also recommend players to the club, but they might also work for other clubs and recommend players to them as well.

I would imagine a lot of the network of scouts we have nationally - as well as those who work for other clubs - have been doing it for years, even back to the days of Parkin and Hill.

The ultimate decision on the signings would then be down to the individual clubs and their managers.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell TVOS! It’s essentially a mates and contacts based system although how they are compensated for their time varies. It’s also quite frequent on an ad hoc basis, players get spotted at whatever level by ex pros etc and get recommended up the chain. Agents also push recommendations as we know and that forms part of the overall system.

I can’t say how it works specifically with the club now or under specific managers but I know going back to the 90’s we had non official scouts all over in the place who watched games and passed on recommendations. We also had players say such and such is looking for a move and also managers trying to get players off the books making calls.

I would say it’s more a case of where we don’t hear about players than where we do!

Football manager 2023 anyone 🙂

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024