Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool 14:23 - Dec 26 with 17480 viewsD_Alien

Very interesting changes to the line-up

Brierley not in the matchday squad...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64022637
[Post edited 26 Dec 2022 14:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:26 - Dec 27 with 4119 viewsgolfaduffy

Here's a view of the COA experience from a neutral who I managed to persuade to come yesterday.

Huge queue outside the ticket office. We saw at least 6 people give up and walk away. Took about 20 minutes to buy a ticket, which is plain stupid by the Board.

No vegitarian food at the kiosk 5 minutes after kick off (we missed the start due to above and because we was both serched on the way in (he is 63 and I'm slightly disabled) The man was at least polite, but took a couple of minutes to look in pockets and my bag.

My mate used to play semi pro football and has coached up to recently. He couldn't believe how deep we were sitting at a home match against a team below us. He said "your players look scared to go forward". This was in the first half.

He was very critical of several of our players ; namely Cameron John, , Quigley and Diagouraga , saying that they were just not good enough on that showing.

we went in the Dale Bar at half time, and couldn't get served due to the queues, but it was warm at least.

Second Half was much better, and we looked capable of winning. He felt that the subs cost us all the head of steam that we'd built up, and were "strange unless players were carrying injuries". He loved Hendo's cheeky backheel, but felt that Quigley should have scored seconds before when he clean missed his header.

He said that it was a very stupid foul by EEL and also very poor positioning by ROD for their winner. Overall, we should have been winning but for the subs.

He had driven us, and we then had to wait ages on the car park to get out because of the barrier. A final kick in the pants on a disappointing day.

All in all, he said it was a poor experience on and off the pitch and he is unlikely to come back. I hope the Direcotors are reading this. How come one or two of them don't come into the Dale bar to see the chaos themselves?
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:47 - Dec 27 with 4046 viewsNafelad

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:26 - Dec 27 by golfaduffy

Here's a view of the COA experience from a neutral who I managed to persuade to come yesterday.

Huge queue outside the ticket office. We saw at least 6 people give up and walk away. Took about 20 minutes to buy a ticket, which is plain stupid by the Board.

No vegitarian food at the kiosk 5 minutes after kick off (we missed the start due to above and because we was both serched on the way in (he is 63 and I'm slightly disabled) The man was at least polite, but took a couple of minutes to look in pockets and my bag.

My mate used to play semi pro football and has coached up to recently. He couldn't believe how deep we were sitting at a home match against a team below us. He said "your players look scared to go forward". This was in the first half.

He was very critical of several of our players ; namely Cameron John, , Quigley and Diagouraga , saying that they were just not good enough on that showing.

we went in the Dale Bar at half time, and couldn't get served due to the queues, but it was warm at least.

Second Half was much better, and we looked capable of winning. He felt that the subs cost us all the head of steam that we'd built up, and were "strange unless players were carrying injuries". He loved Hendo's cheeky backheel, but felt that Quigley should have scored seconds before when he clean missed his header.

He said that it was a very stupid foul by EEL and also very poor positioning by ROD for their winner. Overall, we should have been winning but for the subs.

He had driven us, and we then had to wait ages on the car park to get out because of the barrier. A final kick in the pants on a disappointing day.

All in all, he said it was a poor experience on and off the pitch and he is unlikely to come back. I hope the Direcotors are reading this. How come one or two of them don't come into the Dale bar to see the chaos themselves?

After watching another poor performance, how I wish I hadn't bought another season ticket!! I'm trying to remember the last good performance, or game that I enjoyed. Now, on Thursday, do I go to Doncaster, watch on Ifollow or do some painting so that I can watch it dry??

Topcat

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 13:08 - Dec 27 with 3866 viewskel

My brother is over from China at the moment and wants to come with his kids to the Colchester home game. I’m actually embarrassed to take him along to watch this lot and I’m only bothering as he’s offered to pay for me and my kids too. I’ll be interested to see what he thinks as a relative neutral as I’m perhaps resigned to the fact this lot will take us down and couldn’t care less.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 13:14 - Dec 27 with 3847 viewsNewbury_Dale

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:47 - Dec 27 by Nafelad

After watching another poor performance, how I wish I hadn't bought another season ticket!! I'm trying to remember the last good performance, or game that I enjoyed. Now, on Thursday, do I go to Doncaster, watch on Ifollow or do some painting so that I can watch it dry??

Or the Trust representative who is sitting on the board ?
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:04 - Dec 27 with 3618 viewsHullDale

I've been wondering today if its a symptom of us as a club (pragmatic, cautious, sensible) that we go for managers of that ilk too... and has that fostered the culture we seem to have of starting games on the back foot - first and foremost we try not to lose.

Jim Bentley - Defender
Jim McNulty - Defender
Robbie Stockdale - Defender
Brian Barry-Murphy - Defensive Midfielder
Keith Hill - Defender
John Coleman - Forward
Chris Beech - Midfielder
Steve Eyre - ?
Steve Parkin - Defender

Going back to Parkin, we've only had one 'forward' as manager, and we all know how it ended with Coleman. Is it that more defensive players go into management than attacking ones? Or is it that, culturally, we prefer to go down that route?
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:13 - Dec 27 with 3584 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:04 - Dec 27 by HullDale

I've been wondering today if its a symptom of us as a club (pragmatic, cautious, sensible) that we go for managers of that ilk too... and has that fostered the culture we seem to have of starting games on the back foot - first and foremost we try not to lose.

Jim Bentley - Defender
Jim McNulty - Defender
Robbie Stockdale - Defender
Brian Barry-Murphy - Defensive Midfielder
Keith Hill - Defender
John Coleman - Forward
Chris Beech - Midfielder
Steve Eyre - ?
Steve Parkin - Defender

Going back to Parkin, we've only had one 'forward' as manager, and we all know how it ended with Coleman. Is it that more defensive players go into management than attacking ones? Or is it that, culturally, we prefer to go down that route?

An interesting point, but i really don't think it has much to do with an underlying club ethos

KH started his management career - incidentally around this time of year when we were in an identical position in the league - and almost immediately transformed the team from being lethargic losers to a "no fear" outfit who attacked the living daylights out of the opposition

I think it'd be fair to say he inherited a squad with more potential

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:28 - Dec 27 with 3535 viewskel

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 13:14 - Dec 27 by Newbury_Dale

Or the Trust representative who is sitting on the board ?

Not sure how your post is relevant to the one you replied to so maybe you could expand on it.

For what’s it’s worth, the Trust board director is a very likeable and approachable gentleman who has stepped up to the plate when he could quite easily be enjoying a well deserved retirement. If you email the trust you can discuss any concerns with his role directly as I and others have in the past. He’s the last person who should be taking any flak in this disaster of a season. All in my opinion of course.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:58 - Dec 27 with 3456 viewsNewbury_Dale

Apologies Kel, the reply was intended for golfaduffy's post, and his comments about the queues for tickets etc. You'd hope this information is fed back to the Trust and Murray in particular.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 16:20 - Dec 27 with 3404 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:58 - Dec 27 by Newbury_Dale

Apologies Kel, the reply was intended for golfaduffy's post, and his comments about the queues for tickets etc. You'd hope this information is fed back to the Trust and Murray in particular.

It’s completely baffling why the ticketing issue has not been addressed to look at what MIGHT work better.

Last April the Trust asked the board about cash turnstiles:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2022/04/meeting-with-the-board-3/

<<“ Q: Are there any plans to re-introduce cash turnstiles at the ground?
A: No. However, tickets can be purchased from the ticket office, no supporters has been turned away at any home game this season who wanted to purchase a ticket and the queues for purchasing a ticket haven’t been excessive. The Club admitted that the ability to purchase a ticket at the Ticket Office is to be pushed more on all the Club’s social channels, though supporters who struggle with online purchases might not have access to the Club’s social media. The Trust asked about a second purchase point at the ground, possibly the ticket outlet at the Pearl Street end of the ground, and the Club agreed to look into this.”>>

Why “No”? What’s classed as “excessive” when it comes to queues? Isn’t it the potential customer/fan who should determine that?

A bloke was talking to me in the Flying Horse before Christmas, I’d never met him before but the subject of Dale came up and he’d said he couldn’t be bothered with all the queuing involved for a ticket. That’s something that has stuck with him, and how many others think the same?

What is actually stopping a cash turnstile being trialled? Finding solutions to problems has to be a basic. If it’s the turnstiles require a ticket to be scanned, print a load off which can be issued and scanned by a turnstile operator. There’s a bloke scanning in one of the Sandy turnstiles, why can’t he take money too?

Fans through the gate was rightly illustrated as very important when it comes to number crunching the way forward, but if you’re actually not doing things differently that could affect those numbers they become nothing more than a theory rather than a reality.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 16:29 - Dec 27 with 3381 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 16:20 - Dec 27 by 442Dale

It’s completely baffling why the ticketing issue has not been addressed to look at what MIGHT work better.

Last April the Trust asked the board about cash turnstiles:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2022/04/meeting-with-the-board-3/

<<“ Q: Are there any plans to re-introduce cash turnstiles at the ground?
A: No. However, tickets can be purchased from the ticket office, no supporters has been turned away at any home game this season who wanted to purchase a ticket and the queues for purchasing a ticket haven’t been excessive. The Club admitted that the ability to purchase a ticket at the Ticket Office is to be pushed more on all the Club’s social channels, though supporters who struggle with online purchases might not have access to the Club’s social media. The Trust asked about a second purchase point at the ground, possibly the ticket outlet at the Pearl Street end of the ground, and the Club agreed to look into this.”>>

Why “No”? What’s classed as “excessive” when it comes to queues? Isn’t it the potential customer/fan who should determine that?

A bloke was talking to me in the Flying Horse before Christmas, I’d never met him before but the subject of Dale came up and he’d said he couldn’t be bothered with all the queuing involved for a ticket. That’s something that has stuck with him, and how many others think the same?

What is actually stopping a cash turnstile being trialled? Finding solutions to problems has to be a basic. If it’s the turnstiles require a ticket to be scanned, print a load off which can be issued and scanned by a turnstile operator. There’s a bloke scanning in one of the Sandy turnstiles, why can’t he take money too?

Fans through the gate was rightly illustrated as very important when it comes to number crunching the way forward, but if you’re actually not doing things differently that could affect those numbers they become nothing more than a theory rather than a reality.

There should be no barrier which hinders those who want to watch a game at the COA from doing so, including those turning up on the day, cash in hand. Who the hell wants to queue in the freezing wind and driving rain? And then queue again at the turnstile?

Those who gave up yesterday will likely tell their mates of their experience, thus creating even more antipathy towards Dale, and who can blame them?

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 16:41 - Dec 27 with 3323 views49thseason

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 16:29 - Dec 27 by D_Alien

There should be no barrier which hinders those who want to watch a game at the COA from doing so, including those turning up on the day, cash in hand. Who the hell wants to queue in the freezing wind and driving rain? And then queue again at the turnstile?

Those who gave up yesterday will likely tell their mates of their experience, thus creating even more antipathy towards Dale, and who can blame them?

* A customer is 4 times more likely to defect to a competitor if the problem is service-related than price- or product-related — Bain & Company.
*For every customer complaint there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent
*A 2% increase in customer retention has the same effect as decreasing costs by 10% — Leading on the Edge of Chaos, Emmet Murphy & Mark Murphy.
*96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, however 91% of those will simply leave and never come back — 1Financial Training services.
*A dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. Around 13% of dissatisfied customers tell more than 20 people. — White House Office of Consumer Affairs.
*Happy customers who get their issue resolved tell about 4-6 people about their experience. — White House Office of Consumer Affair.
*55% of customers would pay extra to guarantee a better service — Defaqto research.
*It costs 6—7 times more to acquire a new customer than retain an existing one — Bain & Company.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 19:38 - Dec 27 with 3057 viewsEllDale

There’s an old saying that goes along the lines that a successful team on the pitch will cover up any failings in the running of the club’s back office. That was shown a few years ago when Dale were punching above their weight in League One and all sorts was going on in the boardroom and offices.
If we were fighting for a playoff place all our moans about bars, catering and ticketing wouldn’t be heard.
I spotted the ticket queue when I walked round the ground at 2.30pm and thought to myself then that I was glad I had my season ticket.
The simple fact is though that the absence of a pay on the day turnstile may put off a hell of a lot of people. Plenty will have one eye on the weather as this time of year; for example I didn’t buy a ticket for the game at Valley Parade due to uncertainty about the weather and any resultant hassle in getting a refund should the game be postponed.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 23:18 - Dec 27 with 2828 viewsdavidab2202

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:26 - Dec 27 by golfaduffy

You don't have to have been a coach to see ROD positioning for the goal was very poor.I was stood in the Sandy Lane and it was obvious that a ball over the wall would beat a keeper stood in the position that ROD was occupying. I accept that he had
put a wall up to block the kick,but that is never a guarantee.. Watching the highlights his position looked even worse than I thought it was in real time
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 23:43 - Dec 27 with 2792 viewskel

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 15:58 - Dec 27 by Newbury_Dale

Ah, fair enough.

Murray is very approachable and I’m sure he’s aware of the issues raised. I’d really encourage anyone with concerns to contact him via the trust email as he’ll certainly raise it at board level.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 02:09 - Dec 28 with 2693 viewsSandyman

I've raised the issue of ordering half-time drinks in Ratcliffe's and suggested a system that works in theatres I've been in at minimal cost but it's not been taken up. Perhaps another attempt is needed.

The inability to pay cash on a turnstile issue may well be down to a system installed under Roger's watch,(wonder who gained from that deal?) that has proven to be impractical. This is a town that will "pay cash on the day" for occasional walk-up fans. Cater for them. The organisers of one of the better known local league teams have told me that if one of their home games was off, they'd all rock up to Spotland and watch if the Dale game was on. They don't bother now because cash turnstiles aren't available. It's only down to the patience and excellent customer service of the staff in the office the glitches in this booking system get resolved. Even then, it's not really fit for purpose. The fiasco about who had booked and cancelled on the coach for the replayed fixture at Carlisle last season caused a delay that meant we arrived with seconds to spare which should never have happened.

Yes , it's small things that need dealing with that existed before our current board were in office. Stuff the self-titled "voice of League 1" failed to deal with whilst strutting the look at me and my fiefdom dance as ego came first. It's stuff that needs changing, in time, but what's happening on the pitch is the most serious concern.

Who'd be a director?
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 12:47 - Dec 28 with 2302 viewsupthedale2403

After the chairmans update on the club, especially the financial situation and after The Boxing Day shambles this squad of “players” should be knocking on the chairmans door and forfeiting any wages until they can put in any kind of a performance that deserves being payed a wage for! They Need to understand they got us into this mess with consistent sub par performances individually and collectively, they get praised when they do well and take the plaudits but don’t like it when criticism is aimed at them! As we fear for the very least existence of our football club this lot take the money and give us nothing in return, no pride no effort no desire nothing I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed going to a game. It’s become a chore there is nothing to like about this squad of “players” at all, misplaced passes, long balls to nothing, constant lazy offsides, slow throw ins and set pieces, no end product, horrendous first touches and finishing, not tracking back, missing headers, it’s crap! I’ve seen better on bowlee and figrove and this lot are supposed to be professional footballers Robbie Stockdale put this shambles together so yes in part he is to blame but this lot need to get there heads out of their arses stop feeling sorry for themselves and start to realise that it’s their responsibility to earn their own f@@@ing wages, put some effort in show some desire
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 14:25 - Dec 28 with 2160 viewsJames1980

Do we have a scouting team and before anyone is amusing I don't mean anything to do with Baden Powell.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 19:57 - Dec 28 with 1875 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 14:25 - Dec 28 by James1980

Do we have a scouting team and before anyone is amusing I don't mean anything to do with Baden Powell.

Seriously what does the clubs scouting set up look like?

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 20:54 - Dec 28 with 1765 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 19:57 - Dec 28 by James1980

Seriously what does the clubs scouting set up look like?

The same as every other club's, I imagine, James.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 07:32 - Dec 29 with 1451 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 20:54 - Dec 28 by TVOS1907

The same as every other club's, I imagine, James.

Sorry I am not familiar with the scouting setups at other clubs either. Understandably Stockdale is getting pelters for the recruitment however wouldn't his decisions have been be partly based on scouting reports? If those same scouts are involved with the club still how do we know the information they will provide EBJ is going to be more reliable? Before you say it yes I am over thinking.

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 09:58 - Dec 29 with 1322 viewselectricblue

Looking at the signings RS and JS made January 2022, Ball, Campbell, Charman i think JS was the man behind those signings due to his non league experience.....

Looking at the recent signing by JB i think that was solely down to him as it would surprise me if Lloyd had been at the club a few weeks proving his fitness and thus signing him on weekly terms which the club have nothing to lose.

Going off Lloyds performance the other day looks like he maybe a good signing and it also proves that JB as an eye for a player..

Anyway going back onto scouting i think that Stockdale and Shand watched those three players where as JB knew of Lloyd..

Dont smaller clubs use a system of regional scouts!.
Lets say Dale are interested in a player playing in the south east and thus they contact scouts within that area for reports.
This saves the club money by not employing a scout out right....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 10:00 - Dec 29 with 1323 viewsBainesy15

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 07:32 - Dec 29 by James1980

Sorry I am not familiar with the scouting setups at other clubs either. Understandably Stockdale is getting pelters for the recruitment however wouldn't his decisions have been be partly based on scouting reports? If those same scouts are involved with the club still how do we know the information they will provide EBJ is going to be more reliable? Before you say it yes I am over thinking.

The club would have a scouting system (though it may change with new management, in the same way as coaches etc) but each manager would use their own contacts and network for information as well.
Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 10:58 - Dec 29 with 1236 viewsJames1980

Thank you for the responses I appreciate them. So if there is a scouting service is this provided for a fee or complementary by the EFL? If it is fee based do wealthier clubs benefit from prospective targets being observed over more matches?

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:02 - Dec 29 with 1230 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 07:32 - Dec 29 by James1980

Neither am I, James, but I'm just thinking about it logically.

Most clubs, especially at our level, won't employ dedicated scouts, per se, but they will have a network of scouts across the country, who could be ex-Dale players/managers, connections of ex-Dale players/managers, football people who know ex-Dale players/managers, people the current manager has used before, and so on.

So, when we are playing someone like Gillingham, a scout based in that area would file reports on The Gills, as well as Dale's management team being able to watch Gillingham games for themselves via an online portal.

These scouts would also recommend players to the club, but they might also work for other clubs and recommend players to them as well.

I would imagine a lot of the network of scouts we have nationally - as well as those who work for other clubs - have been doing it for years, even back to the days of Parkin and Hill.

The ultimate decision on the signings would then be down to the individual clubs and their managers.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 12:28 - Dec 29 with 1091 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale v Hartlepool on 11:02 - Dec 29 by TVOS1907

Neither am I, James, but I'm just thinking about it logically.

Most clubs, especially at our level, won't employ dedicated scouts, per se, but they will have a network of scouts across the country, who could be ex-Dale players/managers, connections of ex-Dale players/managers, football people who know ex-Dale players/managers, people the current manager has used before, and so on.

So, when we are playing someone like Gillingham, a scout based in that area would file reports on The Gills, as well as Dale's management team being able to watch Gillingham games for themselves via an online portal.

These scouts would also recommend players to the club, but they might also work for other clubs and recommend players to them as well.

I would imagine a lot of the network of scouts we have nationally - as well as those who work for other clubs - have been doing it for years, even back to the days of Parkin and Hill.

The ultimate decision on the signings would then be down to the individual clubs and their managers.

Thank you 😀

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024