Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster 18:35 - Mar 23 with 4347 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Sign for Wrexham and Clitheroe respectively. Clearly Wrexham we could not compete with (We won’t have bothered asking anyway) and Clitheroe are more of a pull than we are, but a 35 year old quality winger / attacking centre mid with tons of Premier League experience, local and playing for charity donation each week must have been a worth a look.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 20:11 - Mar 23 with 4174 viewsEllDale

Wasn’t Hilly allegedly interested in Pugh before he went to Bournemouth?
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 21:09 - Mar 23 with 4038 viewskel

We don’t need a keeper and Pugh hasn’t had a club since leaving Shrewsbury in 2021 according to wiki.

Nonsense post.
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 22:09 - Mar 23 with 3924 viewsdingdangblue

We've tried to sign Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 23:00 - Mar 23 with 3840 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 22:09 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

Cuthbert's awesome....made the goal for Chelsea's win over Olympic Lyon last night.
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 09:22 - Mar 24 with 3539 viewsfinberty

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 22:09 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

Barney McGrew drove that fire engine with his eyes closed.
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 11:41 - Mar 24 with 3377 viewsDaleiLama

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 09:22 - Mar 24 by finberty

Barney McGrew drove that fire engine with his eyes closed.

Any relation to Barry Murphy? He managed without looking at results.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:35 - Mar 24 with 3301 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 21:09 - Mar 23 by kel

We don’t need a keeper and Pugh hasn’t had a club since leaving Shrewsbury in 2021 according to wiki.

Nonsense post.

Well we don’t need Eastwood for sure so I would have thought Foster (has been available for 9m) would have been a better option and probably cheaper.

As for Pugh, Danny Lloyd was injured for months before we signed him and he has been a revelation. Pugh would be cheap and would offer experience and options, look at our midfield!

Maybe it is nonsense in your opinion but compared to Ball, SAJ, Wycombe loan guy etc it’s low risk and would have made sense to at least look at him!

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:56 - Mar 24 with 3267 viewsTVOS1907

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:35 - Mar 24 by Thacks_Rabbits

Well we don’t need Eastwood for sure so I would have thought Foster (has been available for 9m) would have been a better option and probably cheaper.

As for Pugh, Danny Lloyd was injured for months before we signed him and he has been a revelation. Pugh would be cheap and would offer experience and options, look at our midfield!

Maybe it is nonsense in your opinion but compared to Ball, SAJ, Wycombe loan guy etc it’s low risk and would have made sense to at least look at him!

Lloyd hadn't retired from professional football, like Pugh has.

Lloyd was playing in League One less than six months before he joined us, which Pugh wasn't.

Lloyd's brother doesn't play for Dale like Pugh's does at Clitheroe!

It suits Pugh's circumstances at this time of his career, in addition to the other work he has as some sort of lifestyle/fitness coach, to help out a club at the level Clitheroe play at.

How do you know the details of Eastwood's and Foster's wages situations, by the way?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 13:01 - Mar 24 with 3252 viewskel

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:35 - Mar 24 by Thacks_Rabbits

If you think Foster is a cheaper option then Eastwood then I genuinely think you’re on crack.

Your post, imo, was nothing more than a club bashing exercise with phrases like “Clitheroe are a bigger pull than us”. It was a silly, unnecessary post when the chances are we probably weren’t interested (Pugh) and couldn’t afford Foster in a million years.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 14:27]
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 19:14 - Mar 24 with 2925 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 13:01 - Mar 24 by kel

If you think Foster is a cheaper option then Eastwood then I genuinely think you’re on crack.

Your post, imo, was nothing more than a club bashing exercise with phrases like “Clitheroe are a bigger pull than us”. It was a silly, unnecessary post when the chances are we probably weren’t interested (Pugh) and couldn’t afford Foster in a million years.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 14:27]

Depends how you define “cheaper” remind me how many games Eastwood has played for us and the kind of influence he has had. Foster is on record as saying it’s nothing to do with money so unless you know what Foster and Eastwood are on you have no more idea than I do.

Players are not all about money it’s about many other influences, as Pugh at Clitheroe shows, but the point is these players were options and there is no reason Foster would have been beyond our price range if circumstances suited both parties.

If I was criticising anything (the Clitheroe having a bigger pull was clearly tongue in cheek but don’t let that stop a winge) it’s the lack of quality recruitment and network our managers have had. Hill for all his faults knew players as did Flitcroft. I know the game has moved on a lot from when Eddie Grey could ring Leeds and get players but it still exists. We have needed a Peter Valentine or John Bramhall type experienced head for ages.

Can’t change it though so why worry!

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 19:57 - Mar 24 with 2857 viewskel

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 19:14 - Mar 24 by Thacks_Rabbits

Depends how you define “cheaper” remind me how many games Eastwood has played for us and the kind of influence he has had. Foster is on record as saying it’s nothing to do with money so unless you know what Foster and Eastwood are on you have no more idea than I do.

Players are not all about money it’s about many other influences, as Pugh at Clitheroe shows, but the point is these players were options and there is no reason Foster would have been beyond our price range if circumstances suited both parties.

If I was criticising anything (the Clitheroe having a bigger pull was clearly tongue in cheek but don’t let that stop a winge) it’s the lack of quality recruitment and network our managers have had. Hill for all his faults knew players as did Flitcroft. I know the game has moved on a lot from when Eddie Grey could ring Leeds and get players but it still exists. We have needed a Peter Valentine or John Bramhall type experienced head for ages.

I’d define “cheaper” in pretty much the same way as anyone else I’d imagine ie. One thing costs less than the other.

“Unless you know what Foster and Eastwood are on you have no more idea than I do”

That would have been a decent argument if you hadn’t said “Foster (has been available for 9m) would have been a better option and probably cheaper”. Which is it?

It also wasn’t a winge (sic), you were wittering on about Clitheroe outdoing us when you had absolutely no idea if Pugh had been considered an option. Do you honestly think he’d be in a position to be up to League 2 fitness wise with weeks left of the season to make any difference?

If you’re going to contradict yourself in the very same thread it’s probably best you take the time to think before hitting ‘add reply’
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 20:01 - Mar 24 with 2843 viewsTVOS1907

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 19:14 - Mar 24 by Thacks_Rabbits

Eh?

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:12 - Mar 25 with 2428 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 19:57 - Mar 24 by kel

I’d define “cheaper” in pretty much the same way as anyone else I’d imagine ie. One thing costs less than the other.

“Unless you know what Foster and Eastwood are on you have no more idea than I do”

That would have been a decent argument if you hadn’t said “Foster (has been available for 9m) would have been a better option and probably cheaper”. Which is it?

It also wasn’t a winge (sic), you were wittering on about Clitheroe outdoing us when you had absolutely no idea if Pugh had been considered an option. Do you honestly think he’d be in a position to be up to League 2 fitness wise with weeks left of the season to make any difference?

If you’re going to contradict yourself in the very same thread it’s probably best you take the time to think before hitting ‘add reply’

I don’t know regarding Pugh’s fitness but as he is involved in fitness coaching you would assume he has kept himself fit, could he have had an influence, maybe, maybe not, but he would have been low risk and it’s pretty well known that you want experience in the spine of a team, we lack that in midfield and defence as the signings made are not up to standard.

When it comes to affordability though there is genuinely no reason that Foster should not have been approached (he may have been who knows) and his circumstances changed when Wrexham came on the scene as he played for them on loan and wanted to involve some of them there on his podcast.

Had we said 4k a week, including coaching role if wanted and GoPro cameras allowed etc who knows. Holty was obviously a very different case regarding his return from Hibs but he was on way below 10% of his peak salary at Norwich (yes I know the figures 💯) money is not everything to players at the end of there career now.

It’s fine to pick holes in opinions as we all do but having the ambition to sign a player like foster raises media profile, adds to gates gets casual fans interested and numerous other benefits including experience. Considering some of the shite we have signed this last 2 years it should have been looked at.

Of course we may have looked at both options and decided against them, in which case that’s the managers and directors call!

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:42 - Mar 25 with 2395 viewsTVOS1907

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:12 - Mar 25 by Thacks_Rabbits

I don’t know regarding Pugh’s fitness but as he is involved in fitness coaching you would assume he has kept himself fit, could he have had an influence, maybe, maybe not, but he would have been low risk and it’s pretty well known that you want experience in the spine of a team, we lack that in midfield and defence as the signings made are not up to standard.

When it comes to affordability though there is genuinely no reason that Foster should not have been approached (he may have been who knows) and his circumstances changed when Wrexham came on the scene as he played for them on loan and wanted to involve some of them there on his podcast.

Had we said 4k a week, including coaching role if wanted and GoPro cameras allowed etc who knows. Holty was obviously a very different case regarding his return from Hibs but he was on way below 10% of his peak salary at Norwich (yes I know the figures 💯) money is not everything to players at the end of there career now.

It’s fine to pick holes in opinions as we all do but having the ambition to sign a player like foster raises media profile, adds to gates gets casual fans interested and numerous other benefits including experience. Considering some of the shite we have signed this last 2 years it should have been looked at.

Of course we may have looked at both options and decided against them, in which case that’s the managers and directors call!

As already mentioned, Pugh retired from professional football two years ago.

I don't even know where to start with the Foster stuff.

How does any random fan know about what Grant Holt was being paid?

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:45 - Mar 25 with 2381 views442Dale

Lainton got injured at Wrexham, they needed a keeper so had a look who was available with finances clearly not an issue and saw Foster as a possibility.

We were looking for cover for O’Donnell at a time when other positions were a priority. We wouldn’t even have looked at keepers who have retired recently on their own podcasts. Nor should we have.

And sorry, 4k a week? Can you clarify that? Surely that’s not saying we’d be able to pay someone?
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 12:48]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 12:52 - Mar 25 with 2370 viewskel

Jesus wept.

You want a club that’s losing £1m a year to fork out 4k a week for a keeper that probably wouldn’t make any difference to future results in the hope a few extra people might turn up for the few home games that are left? You’re more deluded than the bloke in your avatar if you think that’s a sensible thing to do. And for the record, I couldn’t give two fooks that you know what Grant Holt was being paid by Norwich.

I’d suggest you talk to Frank. It’s for the best.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 12:53]
Marc Pugh / Ben Foster on 14:38 - Mar 25 with 2257 viewsZac_B

Let's bring a touch of reality to this - Ben Foster has come out of retirement to play for Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, and appear on Disney+

Never ever, regardless of salary, would he have come out of retirement to play for Rochdale. Or for that matter, any other club in League 2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024