Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 91546 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 11:03 - Jul 21 with 1874 viewsNov77

Latest weather forecast suggests no play tomorrow and lucky to get any on Sunday.

Smash a lead of 200 and bowl them out of after lunch?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 11:34 - Jul 21 with 1819 viewsHayesender

The weather is no doubt gonna win this game, but its still fun to watch

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes 2023 on 11:38 - Jul 21 with 1821 viewsrobith

Man I would not want to be fielding right now.

As close to 200 at lunch and put them in, the Aussies look smoked
Ashes 2023 on 11:48 - Jul 21 with 1796 viewsE17hoop

Ashes 2023 on 11:03 - Jul 21 by Nov77

Latest weather forecast suggests no play tomorrow and lucky to get any on Sunday.

Smash a lead of 200 and bowl them out of after lunch?

Sunday pm will be playable. I think England don't want to bat again so expecting they will set a target to have a go over 3 sessions.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Ashes 2023 on 14:14 - Jul 21 with 1655 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes 2023 on 10:05 - Jul 21 by toboboly

I might have to block you with that comment

Haha I can remember it being truly terrible, was honestly surprised that it wasn’t as bad as how I remembered.
Ashes 2023 on 14:46 - Jul 21 with 1646 viewsrobith

This will done today. Aus will fold
Ashes 2023 on 15:03 - Jul 21 with 1609 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 14:46 - Jul 21 by robith

This will done today. Aus will fold

I can’t see all of them folding.I think a couple will dig in and be tough to get out.
Ashes 2023 on 18:22 - Jul 21 with 1507 viewsE17hoop

Ashes 2023 on 15:03 - Jul 21 by stowmarketrange

I can’t see all of them folding.I think a couple will dig in and be tough to get out.

Mark Wood wants to win today.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 20:13 - Jul 21 with 1443 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 23:20 - Jul 20 by thame_hoops

I spent a couple of minutes chatting to Crawley at Lord’s after the Middlesex County champ game this year. I had my photo taken with him, I am 6’4”, but he towered over me.

We attended a players award dinner, and Mrs Superhoop had to stand 2 steps up from him to get a decent photo... She is 5ft 1ins and we all had a proper chuckle about it. As I recall, they ribbed me for not putting her on my shoulders and doing the gentlemanly thing

I watched him in 2018 at Canterbury and he was coming in at 6 or 7. And I cannot deny, I thought he was woeful. It was when he moved up the order to open with DBD that he begun to flourish.

I also think, in a few years he will be a permanent fixture in the England whiteball side too
Ashes 2023 on 20:45 - Jul 21 with 1409 viewsflynnbo

Plays at Deal Golf Club. Hits it a fair distance.
Ashes 2023 on 21:16 - Jul 21 with 1369 viewsjohnhoop

That last spell by Mark Wood actually reminded of the way that Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson blasted out the England batsmen in 1974-5.
How wonderful it is for England to actually have a fast bowler that is just way too quick and intimidating rather than the boot being on the other foot.
Ashes 2023 on 21:19 - Jul 21 with 1364 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 21:16 - Jul 21 by johnhoop

That last spell by Mark Wood actually reminded of the way that Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson blasted out the England batsmen in 1974-5.
How wonderful it is for England to actually have a fast bowler that is just way too quick and intimidating rather than the boot being on the other foot.

This, long may It continue.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 22:02 - Jul 21 with 1321 viewsjeffranger

Think the weather will save the Aussies
Ashes 2023 on 22:04 - Jul 21 with 1318 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 22:02 - Jul 21 by jeffranger

They don’t deserve to be saved after their pathetic capitulation today. Disgraceful. They all played like they had hangovers 😬

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:19 - Jul 21 with 1293 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 22:02 - Jul 21 by jeffranger

The weather may well save them but England in a great position now to win it
Ashes 2023 on 22:49 - Jul 21 with 1265 viewsBlackCrowe

Reckon we're two wickets short of winning this match. But the whole series has been expect the unexpected, so who knows. Not I.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 08:35 - Jul 22 with 1106 viewsLimehouseR

Just had a look at the forecast for the next 48 hours at Old Trafford via the Met Office website. Basically there is pretty much no chance of play at all. After day one the Australia team were playing for this outcome which is pathetic. I love cricket but it really does shoot itself in the foot with making hardly any contingencies for weather. Monday looks like a whole day of cricket could be played but there's no rule to allow for a common sense approach of 'if you lose one day to weather the match extends by one day'.

So basically the Aussies have regained the Ashes based on two days of rain in Manchester. A sad outcome to an otherwise fascinating series.
Ashes 2023 on 09:17 - Jul 22 with 1079 viewsSonofpugwash

It ain't over until the fat Galah screeches.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Ashes 2023 on 09:24 - Jul 22 with 1069 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 08:35 - Jul 22 by LimehouseR

Just had a look at the forecast for the next 48 hours at Old Trafford via the Met Office website. Basically there is pretty much no chance of play at all. After day one the Australia team were playing for this outcome which is pathetic. I love cricket but it really does shoot itself in the foot with making hardly any contingencies for weather. Monday looks like a whole day of cricket could be played but there's no rule to allow for a common sense approach of 'if you lose one day to weather the match extends by one day'.

So basically the Aussies have regained the Ashes based on two days of rain in Manchester. A sad outcome to an otherwise fascinating series.

They used to have timeless tests years ago.
Ashes 2023 on 09:25 - Jul 22 with 1068 viewsAntti_Heinola

You never know. We might only need 2-3 hours of play under leaden skies to make it count!

Agree, though. It feels like if you get a day with say, 10 overs or less due to rain, you should be allowed to go into a 6th day. If it rains at Wimbledon they don't call it a draw! (well, they put the roof on, but you get my point!)

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 14:18 - Jul 22 with 936 viewsNov77

play to resume at 2.45pm (if no more rain) !!!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 14:21 - Jul 22 with 933 viewstraininvain

Also frustrating that play didn’t start earlier or continue later over the last few days. We could all see the weather forecast for this weekend and some common sense 10am starts or 7:30pm finishes could have mitigated the rain risk but apparently not.
Ashes 2023 on 16:48 - Jul 22 with 850 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 14:21 - Jul 22 by traininvain

Also frustrating that play didn’t start earlier or continue later over the last few days. We could all see the weather forecast for this weekend and some common sense 10am starts or 7:30pm finishes could have mitigated the rain risk but apparently not.

Slipping away now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 16:49 - Jul 22 with 846 viewsNov77

Finally a wicket, and yet another Aussie nicks one behind and doesn’t walk.

Ashes 2023 on 16:50 - Jul 22 with 844 viewsWirralHoop

Roooooooooooooooooot
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024