Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 91550 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 16:52 - Jul 22 with 2395 viewsted_hendrix

Thank me later for that wicket.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 17:36 - Jul 22 with 2325 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 14:21 - Jul 22 by traininvain

Also frustrating that play didn’t start earlier or continue later over the last few days. We could all see the weather forecast for this weekend and some common sense 10am starts or 7:30pm finishes could have mitigated the rain risk but apparently not.

I half agree...

However, playing devils advocate, if the boot was on the other foot and we only needed a draw to retain the ashes, would we want to change start and finish times? Imagine the uproar.

So, whilst I agree it is common sense, it has worked many times in our favour too
Ashes 2023 on 17:44 - Jul 22 with 2306 viewstraininvain

Ashes 2023 on 17:36 - Jul 22 by Superhoops2808

I half agree...

However, playing devils advocate, if the boot was on the other foot and we only needed a draw to retain the ashes, would we want to change start and finish times? Imagine the uproar.

So, whilst I agree it is common sense, it has worked many times in our favour too

I can see your point as it would seem unfair to suddenly change the rules. But I’d want a result either way to be honest. I don’t think it helps cricket attract the next generation of supporters to see tests/series’ decided by the weather. It’s not good for the game imo.
Ashes 2023 on 17:58 - Jul 22 with 2274 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 17:44 - Jul 22 by traininvain

I can see your point as it would seem unfair to suddenly change the rules. But I’d want a result either way to be honest. I don’t think it helps cricket attract the next generation of supporters to see tests/series’ decided by the weather. It’s not good for the game imo.

Definitely, and reserve days for finals etc should be looked at too.

Of late, the weather has been kind and I cannot remember the last time a test was decided by the weather so just unfortunate this time. I think there will be more play tomorrow personally
Ashes 2023 on 10:42 - Jul 23 with 2017 viewsLimehouseR

Ashes 2023 on 17:36 - Jul 22 by Superhoops2808

I half agree...

I think if it is agreed at the start of a series or is enforced so everyone knows the rules then it is fine. Yeah we'd pray for rain too if he were in there position but ultimately a match should be decided by actual play not an uncontrollable factor like the weather.

The umpires have been awful this match. England have had to overturn two LBW decisions in the first innings and the last wicket had to be appealed too, it was clearly out. Then they took ages to do a pitch inspection, about half an hour after the ground staff had prepared it. Then they said play to start in 45 minutes?! Ridiculous. The biggest joke was the umpire yesterday claiming it was bad light so we couldn't bowl seam, without consulting the light meter first and whilst wearing sunglasses. Slightly fishy if you ask me...

I'd be amazed if we get any significant play today so that's it really. England did the best they could. Some people moan and say they should have declared earlier but Australia would now have a lead so I think it was the right call anyway.
Ashes 2023 on 10:56 - Jul 23 with 1993 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 10:42 - Jul 23 by LimehouseR

I think if it is agreed at the start of a series or is enforced so everyone knows the rules then it is fine. Yeah we'd pray for rain too if he were in there position but ultimately a match should be decided by actual play not an uncontrollable factor like the weather.

The umpires have been awful this match. England have had to overturn two LBW decisions in the first innings and the last wicket had to be appealed too, it was clearly out. Then they took ages to do a pitch inspection, about half an hour after the ground staff had prepared it. Then they said play to start in 45 minutes?! Ridiculous. The biggest joke was the umpire yesterday claiming it was bad light so we couldn't bowl seam, without consulting the light meter first and whilst wearing sunglasses. Slightly fishy if you ask me...

I'd be amazed if we get any significant play today so that's it really. England did the best they could. Some people moan and say they should have declared earlier but Australia would now have a lead so I think it was the right call anyway.

The umpires' decisions have been poor but don't think you can blame them on the amount of play. Not many would have let us get underway so quickly.

Can't see anything happening today and to be honest with their batting line up we would need around 50 overs I think so all over. It is what it is, we gave it a very good crack and can be proud. Just some sloppy mistakes in the first couple of tests to have a think about. All very well larking about and playing golf, but perhaps we were just a little undercooked?
Ashes 2023 on 11:20 - Jul 23 with 1945 viewsconnell10

Don't see why they can't play tomorrow, not much rain about , cricket is so inflexible. Also it takes ages to get the teams actually out on the pitch . It's like a slow turning super tanker , ridiculous.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 12:24 - Jul 23 with 1847 viewsNov77

Play resumes at 1pm

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 12:34 - Jul 23 with 1831 viewsNov77

Ashes 2023 on 12:24 - Jul 23 by Nov77

Play resumes at 1pm

Raining again

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 13:15 - Jul 23 with 1760 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 12:34 - Jul 23 by Nov77

Raining again

We can't do anything about Mother nature what we can do though Is make contingency plans, I was reading the TMS site earlier and as it was drying out and virtually playable they all went of for lunch because It was bloody lunch time.
To quote Phil Tuffnell at the time;
*Let's skip lunch today lads. Get yourself a boiled egg and a tomato and let's get on with it.

This Isn't a unique situation.

Ashes 2023 on 15:36 - Jul 23 with 1681 viewsstowmarketrange

Can’t we get the leaf blowers out?
Ashes 2023 on 16:59 - Jul 23 with 1612 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 13:15 - Jul 23 by ted_hendrix

We can't do anything about Mother nature what we can do though Is make contingency plans, I was reading the TMS site earlier and as it was drying out and virtually playable they all went of for lunch because It was bloody lunch time.
To quote Phil Tuffnell at the time;
*Let's skip lunch today lads. Get yourself a boiled egg and a tomato and let's get on with it.

This Isn't a unique situation.

Yes I chuckled at Tuffers comment too

But its very true, what energy have they burnt off this morning that needs replacing?

Sadly, this will be a draw and that will be another wait for us to retake the Ashes. I think if we had won this test, the momentum would have meant us winning at the Oval.
Ashes 2023 on 17:01 - Jul 23 with 1611 viewsslmrstid

Rain is only ever meant to stop England losing, not stop England winning. Booooo.

That said, its funny seeing Piers Morgan get angrier and more upset and petulant with every delay, so silver linings.
Ashes 2023 on 17:29 - Jul 23 with 1543 viewsRangersw12

Match drawn

England have made all the running in this series and the Aussies are very fortunate to retain the Ashes .
Ashes 2023 on 17:36 - Jul 23 with 1529 viewsjeffranger

F******g lucky c****s
Ashes 2023 on 17:40 - Jul 23 with 1521 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 17:29 - Jul 23 by Rangersw12

Match drawn

England have made all the running in this series and the Aussies are very fortunate to retain the Ashes .

The word disappointing dosn't come into It, what a crazy way for It to end.

Still, we knew the rules at the start so we'll just have to take It on the chin.

Oval next Thursday----kick they're arses.

Ashes 2023 on 17:52 - Jul 23 with 1486 viewsstevec

If you choose Manchester as a venue then you can hardly complain about the rain.
Ashes 2023 on 19:12 - Jul 23 with 1397 viewsSuperhoops2808

Like the women, lets keep it to retained only rather than won the Ashes.

At least it will be the system and the weather that allows them to take the urn home because its not down to their cricket

A heavy defeat at the Oval will send them packing with their tails between their legs
Ashes 2023 on 23:22 - Jul 23 with 1240 viewsSydneyRs

This is why cricket can't ever be taken very seriously. Everyone knew the weather was going to ruin that last two days and there's nothing in the rules to mitigate that. At times it really is a stupid sport.
Ashes 2023 on 23:41 - Jul 23 with 1221 viewsHooparoo

I don’t get why Stokes didn’t declare. We were a shambles and you already had enough runs to fck us up. Let us off the hook

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 23:44 - Jul 23 with 1218 viewsMatch82

Ashes 2023 on 23:41 - Jul 23 by Hooparoo

I don’t get why Stokes didn’t declare. We were a shambles and you already had enough runs to fck us up. Let us off the hook

Is that true though? Even if we had got play today I feel like it's unlikely we would have got the wickets quick enough to prevent us batting again anyway. So declaring say 50 runs earlier even less chance of that
Ashes 2023 on 00:45 - Jul 24 with 1166 viewsSydneyRs

In all seriousness, it could and should have been a terrific finish to the series going in to the last test at 2-2 and weather means it is now essentially a dead rubber. There's no way in hell on the play so far that Australia deserves to be ahead in the series.

Tennis, the one other sport that rain has impacted a lot, now has roofs over courts in the main tournaments and even when this wasn't the case all games get played to their natural conclusion sooner or later, even if it sometimes means playing into an extra day. Cricket is unique in this nonsense where weather prevents the game from finishing.
Ashes 2023 on 01:03 - Jul 24 with 1150 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 23:44 - Jul 23 by Match82

Is that true though? Even if we had got play today I feel like it's unlikely we would have got the wickets quick enough to prevent us batting again anyway. So declaring say 50 runs earlier even less chance of that

I just think we were in total disarray and at 5 down 2nd innings even another hour might have got you home. England deserved to win and what a shame we aren’t going to go to the Oval at 2-2 with everything to play for.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 09:39 - Jul 24 with 1035 viewsterryb

The part that I don't understand is why, on a clear day they have to finish at 6.30pm?

90 overs are meant to be bowled in a day & if the light is good enough make them play until 90 overs are bowled! Or make the playing time 10.30am-6.30pm.

The hourly drink breaks appear to take longer every year as well. I'm sure they are approaching 5 minutes.
Ashes 2023 on 09:46 - Jul 24 with 1018 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 01:03 - Jul 24 by Hooparoo

I just think we were in total disarray and at 5 down 2nd innings even another hour might have got you home. England deserved to win and what a shame we aren’t going to go to the Oval at 2-2 with everything to play for.

Stokes should have declared earlier, it would have given us a better chance of winning but I still don't think we'd have got over the line. Whilst the weather has cost us in this match, the silly mistakes which threw away our chances in the first 2 tests have ultimately lost us the chance of winning the series.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 9:47]

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024