Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly 11:34 - Jul 13 with 17008 viewsHullDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 14:51 - Jul 16 with 2839 viewsIOMDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 14:43 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

It's pre-season.

This.

Some of the reaction on Twitter is plain embarrassing. If we can’t try out ideas in pre season anymore, when can we? You can guarantee Jim will have learnt more yesterday that he would have had we cantered to a 4-0 win.

UTDNFS

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 15:19 - Jul 16 with 2760 views442Dale

It’s also only the second game of pre season. It’s the Bradford game where you’d expect to see something close to a first team starting and clearly defined way of playing that suits the players being obvious.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 15:32 - Jul 16 with 2710 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 14:51 - Jul 16 by IOMDale

This.

Some of the reaction on Twitter is plain embarrassing. If we can’t try out ideas in pre season anymore, when can we? You can guarantee Jim will have learnt more yesterday that he would have had we cantered to a 4-0 win.

All that's being said (on here, at least) is that there doesn't seem to be any apparent change of style from the dross we've been witnessing

We're don't appear to be "trying out ideas", rather the opposite
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 15:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 15:40 - Jul 16 with 2686 viewsClivert

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 14:43 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

It's pre-season.

The worry is that we were playing that way under McNulty in League games at the back end of last season (I'm still having nightmares about that first half against Tranmere) and the disaster of that style of football under BBM is still fresh in the mind.

Man City can play that way because they have best coach and best players in the world we don't.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 15:52]
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 16:12 - Jul 16 with 2602 viewssamueloneils

The fact is that as of yet we don`t have a single striker in the squad. Rodney will get you perhaps a dozen goals and Mitchell has never scored many away from Coalville Town. Neither are target men who will lead the line and Hendo cannot be expected to chip in as many as the old days.

We have scored a decreasing number of goals in each of the last 3 seasons. Last season we drew or lost by 1 goal in 30 of the 46 league games, showing that it was the missing goals that cost us.

My guess is that JMc is desperately looking to recruit up front but is constantly being knocked back. But we need 2 real strikers- from somewhere.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:22 - Jul 16 with 2436 views49thseason

Unless we can treble the number of crosses into the opponents penalty area, we will struggle for goals, the stats from last season proved it. Its all very well playing with wingbacks but if they arè more backs than wingers, forwards will never get the service they need... we have to create problems for defenders in areas that they dont want to be in, the position of maximum opportunity, POMO as Charles Hughes called it.
McNulty will have to be pragmatic and accept that BBMball, hasn't worked for us and any positives from it have to be added to some more simplistic methods. No more Mr nice guys, we will have to battle for 95 minutes, be professional and be prepared to do what is required to take points and not worry too much about how it will look on TV or to visiting scouts. Playing rinky-dinky tippy tappy football won't wash at this level without aggression, determination, pace and courage. We will soon know if these players have the guts for the fight.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:21 - Jul 16 with 2164 viewsisitme

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:22 - Jul 16 by 49thseason

Unless we can treble the number of crosses into the opponents penalty area, we will struggle for goals, the stats from last season proved it. Its all very well playing with wingbacks but if they arè more backs than wingers, forwards will never get the service they need... we have to create problems for defenders in areas that they dont want to be in, the position of maximum opportunity, POMO as Charles Hughes called it.
McNulty will have to be pragmatic and accept that BBMball, hasn't worked for us and any positives from it have to be added to some more simplistic methods. No more Mr nice guys, we will have to battle for 95 minutes, be professional and be prepared to do what is required to take points and not worry too much about how it will look on TV or to visiting scouts. Playing rinky-dinky tippy tappy football won't wash at this level without aggression, determination, pace and courage. We will soon know if these players have the guts for the fight.

I'm afraid you lost me at Charles Hughes. The following article:

https://soccerment.com/crossing-effective-strategy/

Is a very interesting read. As is this:

https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/changing-how-the-world-thinks-about-set-pi
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:23 - Jul 16 with 2161 viewsAtThePeake

BBM left the club two summers ago. The only player left from the squad that played under him is Jimmy Keohane.

Can we please stop pretending we've been relegated from League Two because of "BBMball"? Neither Stockdale or Bentley subscribed to the same footballing ethos that BBM did. We might have got relegated from L1 because of BBM and his style of play but blaming him for the two years that have come since is ridiculous.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:39 - Jul 16 with 2105 viewsisitme

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 16:12 - Jul 16 by samueloneils

The fact is that as of yet we don`t have a single striker in the squad. Rodney will get you perhaps a dozen goals and Mitchell has never scored many away from Coalville Town. Neither are target men who will lead the line and Hendo cannot be expected to chip in as many as the old days.

We have scored a decreasing number of goals in each of the last 3 seasons. Last season we drew or lost by 1 goal in 30 of the 46 league games, showing that it was the missing goals that cost us.

My guess is that JMc is desperately looking to recruit up front but is constantly being knocked back. But we need 2 real strikers- from somewhere.

According to Wiki Mitchell is 6 feet 1 and Rodney is 6 feet 2, hardly the smallest. I personally thought we looked better last season with Rodney down the middle and if someone could press the right buttons and get him playing he could be a real talent. He certainly offered more as a 'target man' than any of our other strikers last season. It was a mystery to me why he was played wide so often.

I doubt there is much in the budget to sign another frontline striker with Mitchell, Rodney and Henderson already in the squad, especially as there are other positions of need and only five players on the bench.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:00 - Jul 16 with 2024 viewsEllDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:23 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

BBM left the club two summers ago. The only player left from the squad that played under him is Jimmy Keohane.

Can we please stop pretending we've been relegated from League Two because of "BBMball"? Neither Stockdale or Bentley subscribed to the same footballing ethos that BBM did. We might have got relegated from L1 because of BBM and his style of play but blaming him for the two years that have come since is ridiculous.

I think that BBMball has perhaps become a generic term for a style of play which involves slow build up from the back.
Perhaps it should be redubbed BJball?
No one likes to see possession retained for a sustained period of play more than myself but personally I’m irritated by the insistence on passing the ball five yards sideways to a centreback from a goal kick.
Unless you’ve gifted personnel like Manchester City it’s a risky exercise though.
If our centrebacks were this adept they wouldn’t be playing at this level to put it bluntly.
BBM did use the long ball at times. I remember that when he took over after the sacking of Keith Hill that one of the most used tactics was of MJ Williams launching a long ball from right to left looking for the head of Aaron Wilbraham as a target man.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:13 - Jul 16 with 1976 viewsSaxonDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:00 - Jul 16 by EllDale

I think that BBMball has perhaps become a generic term for a style of play which involves slow build up from the back.
No one likes to see possession retained for a sustained period of play more than myself but personally I’m irritated by the insistence on passing the ball five yards sideways to a centreback from a goal kick.
Unless you’ve gifted personnel like Manchester City it’s a risky exercise though.
If our centrebacks were this adept they wouldn’t be playing at this level to put it bluntly.
BBM did use the long ball at times. I remember that when he took over after the sacking of Keith Hill that one of the most used tactics was of MJ Williams launching a long ball from right to left looking for the head of Aaron Wilbraham as a target man.

I’m sure it was never BBM’s intention to play a slow, passing build up play from the back. We signed our best target man of the last 10 years under him after all. You can see BBM wanted his team to go long at time by his choice of playing physical, tall players out of position upfront occasionally (Shaunnessy and Lund off the top of my head.) I’m sure the reason McNulty is trialling players upfront including Ball is to ensure we always have the option of a long ball out if needed.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:15 - Jul 16 with 1972 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:00 - Jul 16 by EllDale

But people seem to think that style of play is why we've just been relegated out of League Two, but that isn't the football that Stockdale or Bentley played either is it?

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:22 - Jul 16 with 1946 viewsisitme

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:15 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

But people seem to think that style of play is why we've just been relegated out of League Two, but that isn't the football that Stockdale or Bentley played either is it?

Under Bentley the football was pretty much awful , shades of Barrowball at its worst. Unfortunately for some, football has moved on and is much more tactical with passing from the back to move players out of zones etc.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:29 - Jul 16 with 1912 viewsEllDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:15 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

You’re quite right, neither Stockdale or Bentley used to encourage it.
The latter signed Quigley with the express intention of launching the ball long for example after bemoaning he fact that there wasn’t an old fashioned target man on the books when he took over.
The style only seemed to re-emerge when BJ took over in the Spring.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:36 - Jul 16 with 1897 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 20:29 - Jul 16 by EllDale

You’re quite right, neither Stockdale or Bentley used to encourage it.
The latter signed Quigley with the express intention of launching the ball long for example after bemoaning he fact that there wasn’t an old fashioned target man on the books when he took over.
The style only seemed to re-emerge when BJ took over in the Spring.

Whereby our results improved. Extrapolated over the season, the results from Jim's spell would have seen us finish the season in 9th place. So maybe it isn't all that bad.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:24 - Jul 16 with 1796 viewsClivert

You need a unique type of quality of player to play that way and you just don't get at most levels, if McNulty is choosing to go down that route then we're going to be found out pretty quick.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:44 - Jul 16 with 1742 viewsDaleFan7

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:24 - Jul 16 by Clivert

You need a unique type of quality of player to play that way and you just don't get at most levels, if McNulty is choosing to go down that route then we're going to be found out pretty quick.

We were found out on Saturday by a NLN side.

Other than Mitchell hitting the bar in the first half we didn't look like scoring all game and couldn't have complained if they got more.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:48 - Jul 16 with 1741 viewsAussieShaymen

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:39 - Jul 16 by isitme

According to Wiki Mitchell is 6 feet 1 and Rodney is 6 feet 2, hardly the smallest. I personally thought we looked better last season with Rodney down the middle and if someone could press the right buttons and get him playing he could be a real talent. He certainly offered more as a 'target man' than any of our other strikers last season. It was a mystery to me why he was played wide so often.

I doubt there is much in the budget to sign another frontline striker with Mitchell, Rodney and Henderson already in the squad, especially as there are other positions of need and only five players on the bench.

Rodney got his move into the EFL on the back of two very successful loan spells at the Shay, where we used him primarily down the middle. Got something like 12 goals in 20 games for us. Rodney, Sinclair and Mitchell should be a decent forward line at this level. Apart from Gilmour though, I don't know what the rest of your team offers.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:53 - Jul 16 with 1732 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:44 - Jul 16 by DaleFan7

We were found out on Saturday by a NLN side.

Other than Mitchell hitting the bar in the first half we didn't look like scoring all game and couldn't have complained if they got more.

It's pre-season.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:57 - Jul 16 with 1728 viewsEllDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:48 - Jul 16 by AussieShaymen

Rodney got his move into the EFL on the back of two very successful loan spells at the Shay, where we used him primarily down the middle. Got something like 12 goals in 20 games for us. Rodney, Sinclair and Mitchell should be a decent forward line at this level. Apart from Gilmour though, I don't know what the rest of your team offers.

Just out of interest, was Rodney at the Shay at the same time as Scott Quigley and Tahvon Campbell? My memory players tricks with me sometimes.
Just wondered, if so, how they performed together upfront?
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:16 - Jul 16 with 1685 viewsDaleFan7

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 21:53 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

It's pre-season.

It is but minus the fact we had virtually 2 different teams there was no experimentation with tactics compared to last season and we looked clueless when things weren't going our way.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:39 - Jul 16 with 1625 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:16 - Jul 16 by DaleFan7

It is but minus the fact we had virtually 2 different teams there was no experimentation with tactics compared to last season and we looked clueless when things weren't going our way.

It's irrelevant though isn't it? It's about getting match fit and getting 8 (10 including the trialists) new signings gelling together. If we look clueless come August 5th then it's worth worrying about, but surely we know from previous pre-seasons that results and performances in these games are irrelevant come the first game.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:53 - Jul 16 with 1581 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:39 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

It's irrelevant though isn't it? It's about getting match fit and getting 8 (10 including the trialists) new signings gelling together. If we look clueless come August 5th then it's worth worrying about, but surely we know from previous pre-seasons that results and performances in these games are irrelevant come the first game.

No

It *may* be irrelevant, then again, it *may* be another 3 weeks of trying to square the circle

We shall see

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:22 - Jul 16 with 1516 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:53 - Jul 16 by D_Alien

No

It *may* be irrelevant, then again, it *may* be another 3 weeks of trying to square the circle

We shall see

Exactly. We shall see. And when we do, the performance in a pre-season friendly at Chorley won't be considered relevant either way.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:38 - Jul 16 with 1497 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:22 - Jul 16 by AtThePeake

Exactly. We shall see. And when we do, the performance in a pre-season friendly at Chorley won't be considered relevant either way.

But we're not talking about the "performance" (if we were, i'd be agreeing with you wholeheartedly) - we're talking about the way the team(s) are being set up to play

[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 23:38]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024