Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is up with you all!? 21:23 - Dec 11 with 4715 viewsRAFC_1990

All I can see on here is talk of how much the ground is worth for housing or resigning from the league and starting off much lower.

All way to defeatist! We havent run up a massive debt like Bury, we just cant continue to spend more than we generate. We need a complete reset, slash all the budgets, run the club on skeleton staff, utilise the voluntary army, put the price of season tickets back up. The 2,000 core fans would still get behind this done correctly. Then its all our jobs to grow the fanbase, run initiatives after initiatives, give loads of free tickets away to kids, get people in the stadium. Rochdale is a big town with a large population, start actually trying to tap into this. We have never done this consistently and properly.

In the meantime we should still have 2,000 fans turning up, more than at least half the clubs in this league, paying more sustainable ST prices, with a cut budget. We should still be able to be competitive in this league. If it results in us being relegated again then so be it, we will certainly be competitive in the league below. Then when we get the club back in shape and have hopefully grown the fan base we can rise again. Who knows in 10 years time we might be back in the EFL with average gates of 4,500/5000 and a more sustainable club.

Either way, Spotland is our home we should not be looking to move away or lose it, we should also not be actively looking to play at a lower lever, just let that natural happen if the budget we can muster makes that the case. I just want to turn up to Spotland on a Saturday and watch a team give it there all to win, if thats in the National League, L2, or NLN or below then so be it.

Poll: Halifax or Chorley? If any which game are you going?

What is up with you all!? on 21:38 - Dec 11 with 4643 viewsD_Alien

With respect, shouldn't that be addressed to the BoD, not to "you all"?

If you're a shareholder, you'll get your chance to do precisely that at next week's AGM
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 21:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

What is up with you all!? on 06:28 - Dec 12 with 4345 viewsDale_4_Life

A good Rally Cry OP..

I am behind the sentiment but still fear we (Dale) are on the cliff edge..

It will take all the 2000 to come together lets hope that happens. My Solution of cutting cloth and playing at a level we can afford is in the absence of any clear direction from the club on the way out of the mess and what the plan is to achieve it.

Show me the plan and i will do all i can.. as will 2000+ others I am sure.
What is up with you all!? on 09:20 - Dec 12 with 4169 viewsDuckegg

The club need changes to generate more income simple as that so instead of increasing the season cards scrap them.....

It is obvious that the season cards are a discount on the match day for the supporters but the clubs more income and the idea is to go back to match day prices.

Supporters must register with the club lets say by using the season card as ID to who they are and where they like to sit and then on run upto match day they purchase their seat online....

Prices.
Sandylane £15.
Pearl Street £17.
Main Stand £20.

So if a people attend all league home games it will generate a revenue increase.

Sandylane 23 matches x £15 = £345
Pearl Street 23 matches x £17 = £391
Main Stand 23 matches x £20 = £460

Then there are initiatives.
Single adult ticket and over 12s but under 16s add £5 to the match day ticket for each child.
Single adult ticket and each under 12s goes free subject to 2 children.

Like i say above i would rather see this happening than a season ticket hike.
There are pitfalls like everything else, people not showing up due to certain aspects like the weather or the team are not playing well etc...

It is an idea to try.....
What is up with you all!? on 11:34 - Dec 12 with 3986 viewssxdale

Firstly I don't want to or think we should be looking to sell Spotland and try to build a new smaller multi purpose stadium. Even if it were to offer some new revenue streams, I just cannot see it being cost effective I can't see enough money being made from the sale of the ground to cover construction costs of a new stadium.
Secondly I think the perceived negativity has seeped in front the BOD talking about liquidation.
As other posters have said we need to cut our cloth. Part time and volunteer staff, I do feel for those that would lose their jobs but the survival of our club is at stake. If players leave for better wages then so be it, it's always been thus. If we go down a division or to then so be it we will still exist and we can start to rebuild. Hereford seemed to be doing OK.
What is up with you all!? on 12:57 - Dec 12 with 3786 viewsD_Alien

What is up with you all!? on 11:34 - Dec 12 by sxdale

Firstly I don't want to or think we should be looking to sell Spotland and try to build a new smaller multi purpose stadium. Even if it were to offer some new revenue streams, I just cannot see it being cost effective I can't see enough money being made from the sale of the ground to cover construction costs of a new stadium.
Secondly I think the perceived negativity has seeped in front the BOD talking about liquidation.
As other posters have said we need to cut our cloth. Part time and volunteer staff, I do feel for those that would lose their jobs but the survival of our club is at stake. If players leave for better wages then so be it, it's always been thus. If we go down a division or to then so be it we will still exist and we can start to rebuild. Hereford seemed to be doing OK.

What the OP seems to be moaning about (as in "you lot") isn't justified in any way

The posts about housebuilding are, imo, purely academic and of interest to those who like to indulge in such things - harmless enough. No-one would want to sell the ground if it were possible to avoid it. The "negativity" call is therefore unjustified

Neither is the OP needed as a "rallying call". There's no requirement to "rally" - we're all as rallied up as we can possibly be, pending the next move(s) by the BoD. It's all been said before, many times, and didn't need repeating. If that's what fans wish to do, no-one has a problem but don't accuse others of negativity - that's exactly what SG has done and it's not appreciated

"Rant over" - as they say...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

What is up with you all!? on 15:14 - Dec 12 with 3527 viewsDalenet

What is up with you all!? on 09:20 - Dec 12 by Duckegg

The club need changes to generate more income simple as that so instead of increasing the season cards scrap them.....

It is obvious that the season cards are a discount on the match day for the supporters but the clubs more income and the idea is to go back to match day prices.

Supporters must register with the club lets say by using the season card as ID to who they are and where they like to sit and then on run upto match day they purchase their seat online....

Prices.
Sandylane £15.
Pearl Street £17.
Main Stand £20.

So if a people attend all league home games it will generate a revenue increase.

Sandylane 23 matches x £15 = £345
Pearl Street 23 matches x £17 = £391
Main Stand 23 matches x £20 = £460

Then there are initiatives.
Single adult ticket and over 12s but under 16s add £5 to the match day ticket for each child.
Single adult ticket and each under 12s goes free subject to 2 children.

Like i say above i would rather see this happening than a season ticket hike.
There are pitfalls like everything else, people not showing up due to certain aspects like the weather or the team are not playing well etc...

It is an idea to try.....

I have no issue with us finding a way to drive more revenue and rebalance the price of a season card. As an exile I buy mine with pride and get to most home games. The season card is an incentive to turn up - once bought you feel an obligation to travel 300 miles to enjoy whatever is served on the pitch. In recent times I question why I bother. I am sure there are many times we would choose to skip a game when it is dire whereas the season card actually works to get us all in. And most clubs are desperate for income between May and July and season card sales are essential to cover that period.

Right now it makes sense to me to do what every club in this leasgue is doing - selling a half season ticket - well 10 games to be precise. That revenue might get us through January if things are so tight.
What is up with you all!? on 15:17 - Dec 12 with 3524 viewsDalenet

As for the OP - really. It is not the majority that are asking for either a move or a planned relegation. But we all need to be aware of what is possible.

I agree with your points on cutting costs to meet our revenue - but did you study the financials sent to to shareholders yesterday? I as surprised that our playing budget is now as low as it is. What was your view on where we can cut the budget given the information provided?
What is up with you all!? on 16:08 - Dec 12 with 3399 viewsChaffRAFC

It's not a negative or defeatist attitude that people have I don't think. I think it's more a case that people are looking for alternative ways to make this club of ours as sustainable as possible and it's going to take some grown up conversations and big changes to do that.

Firstly, do we actually know whether we've run up big debt or not? There could well be hidden debts that have kept us going in the background that we're not aware of.

The model the club have used for the past god knows how long of banking on cup runs and academy prospects hasn't been viable for a long time now so it's going to take major changes and fast changes to get us heading in the right way and it's not going to be comfortable making those changes.

My understanding is the playing squad was trimmed from £1.3m to around a million this season because we still have several players on League Two wages like Hendo, Ebanks-Landell, John, Rodney, Taylor and maybe even the likes of Clayton given his pedigree. That will have to continue to be trimmed in the summer when those players are out of contract.

I've not seen the accounts because I'm not a shareholder but from what I can gather, the academy and the coaching staff there are costing us an absolute fortune. A massive decision is going to have to be made their, especially given there's no academy funding beyond this season.

Do we need a separate club shop and ticket office? The club shop when I was growing up, was a little hut next to the players entrance and the ticket office. More offices you have, more electricity, heating you use etc. Do we need to go part time with certain aspects of the club like mentioned in the OP? What would the impact of only opening the club shop on match days have? Or one other day a week? Everything is done online nowadays anyway? Same with the ticket office? How many people do we need in charge of media output?

I'm in no way qualified to know what the solutions are and how to cut costs to the extent we require but it's very clear that big decisions are going to have to be made and made quickly because we all know that we're only going one way.

There will be clubs in our division, and all the clubs one division below operating better financially than we are so how do they do it? How are the likes of Curzon Ashton, Tamworth, Chester, Chorley etc operating, all in and around the playoffs to get into our league!

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

What is up with you all!? on 17:18 - Dec 12 with 3250 views442Dale

Good post, Chaff. Lots of food for thought. The frustration is we’ve been asking for a bit more clarity for months so we could start to look at different scenarios and see where fans could play a part.

Instead things happen at the club and we still feel pretty helpless as different info appears as and when something occurs.

We knew there was possibly an iceberg on the horizon but it feels now it’s looming over us with less chance of changing direction.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

What is up with you all!? on 17:20 - Dec 12 with 3231 viewsnordenblue

What is up with you all!? on 16:08 - Dec 12 by ChaffRAFC

It's not a negative or defeatist attitude that people have I don't think. I think it's more a case that people are looking for alternative ways to make this club of ours as sustainable as possible and it's going to take some grown up conversations and big changes to do that.

Firstly, do we actually know whether we've run up big debt or not? There could well be hidden debts that have kept us going in the background that we're not aware of.

The model the club have used for the past god knows how long of banking on cup runs and academy prospects hasn't been viable for a long time now so it's going to take major changes and fast changes to get us heading in the right way and it's not going to be comfortable making those changes.

My understanding is the playing squad was trimmed from £1.3m to around a million this season because we still have several players on League Two wages like Hendo, Ebanks-Landell, John, Rodney, Taylor and maybe even the likes of Clayton given his pedigree. That will have to continue to be trimmed in the summer when those players are out of contract.

I've not seen the accounts because I'm not a shareholder but from what I can gather, the academy and the coaching staff there are costing us an absolute fortune. A massive decision is going to have to be made their, especially given there's no academy funding beyond this season.

Do we need a separate club shop and ticket office? The club shop when I was growing up, was a little hut next to the players entrance and the ticket office. More offices you have, more electricity, heating you use etc. Do we need to go part time with certain aspects of the club like mentioned in the OP? What would the impact of only opening the club shop on match days have? Or one other day a week? Everything is done online nowadays anyway? Same with the ticket office? How many people do we need in charge of media output?

I'm in no way qualified to know what the solutions are and how to cut costs to the extent we require but it's very clear that big decisions are going to have to be made and made quickly because we all know that we're only going one way.

There will be clubs in our division, and all the clubs one division below operating better financially than we are so how do they do it? How are the likes of Curzon Ashton, Tamworth, Chester, Chorley etc operating, all in and around the playoffs to get into our league!

All valid points though I'm sure I heard somewhere that the players have a relegation clause in their contract so their wages,terms etc reduce say 25% in the event of a relegation, I'm sure I've not just made it up because it surprised me at the time hearing it.
What is up with you all!? on 17:58 - Dec 12 with 3128 viewsA_Newby

What is up with you all!? on 17:20 - Dec 12 by nordenblue

All valid points though I'm sure I heard somewhere that the players have a relegation clause in their contract so their wages,terms etc reduce say 25% in the event of a relegation, I'm sure I've not just made it up because it surprised me at the time hearing it.

This was in Chris Dunphy's book as the standard contract adopted by RAFC and a lot of other clubs.
What is up with you all!? on 18:01 - Dec 12 with 3113 viewsA_Newby

I was one of the posters who was discussing what the ground would be worth as building land. It wasn’t that I was proposing we sell it and “start again”. Here is my reason.

The board are looking for an investor (unlikely to be a fan) to purchase shares and put funds into the club.

This would be a real INVESTMENT as the people putting in their money are unlikely to be fans and would expect to get their investment back with a bonus.

I was trying to look at an investment in RAFC from this point of view and what makes it attractive.

ALL the shares of the club could be purchased at the asking price for around £3.1m.

This would put £0.8m into the club’s bank account. Now with the investment of say a further £0.9m next season putting their total investment at £4m there is a good chance that the club could regain its EFL status and access to the relatively large amounts of cash available.

The investors could then possibly sell the club at a profit.

If the investors fail to get RAFC promoted or we get relegated, they could close the club and sell the Crown Oil Arena as building land which could be worth quite a bit more than the money they have invested.

As such the investment would be quite secure and also attractive people associated with property development.

Some people have been calling for the club to lower the asking price for shares to attract an investor. I do not think this would be a good idea, I think it would just make the club more attractive to unwanted sharks.
What is up with you all!? on 18:16 - Dec 12 with 3056 viewsDale_4_Life

Chaff articulated way better than I - Thanks.

Excellent post.

Adult grown up conversations to be had and quickly before its too late not when the band starts playing after hitting the iceberg knowing its too late.

If we can stay up this season (Play offs still touching distance but a long shot) and get more money flowing in whilst trimming the budget would this take Dale into calmer waters?. The big issue is the people who will be prepared to dig the deepest and work the hardest to help have absolutely no idea where we are at financially or what it will take to ensure the club stabilises.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 18:18]
What is up with you all!? on 22:12 - Dec 12 with 2820 viewsEdindale

Thanks Chaff.

A cursory look at the club accounts suggests that there is lots of scope for economy measures to be taken across the club.

The academy is an obvious target but i don't think that clubs get out of the NFL through their youth policy.

Interesting points about other clubs especially Curzon and Chorley but I assume they pick up players because they have better networks.
What is up with you all!? on 18:46 - Dec 13 with 2315 viewsA_Newby

From the 2020/21 accounts our gate receipts for the season were £770k with an average crowd of 3,089 for 27 home matches. This means that the average paid price per person to attend a match was about £9.20.

Looking at SOME of the “non-footballing” costs associated with putting on these matches.

• Stewarding £265k
• Police £190k
• Ground & Pitch Maintenance £150k
• Light & Heat £80k
• Rates & Water £45k
• Total £730k

So 770k revenue -730k non footballing costs = £40k. MAXIMUM towards the “football” costs!

In the season 2016/7 prior to the Russ Green scheme, I paid £370 for my seat in the main stand.

In the post covid season 2021/22 I paid £310. If the price of my season ticket had risen each year from the 2016/17 price in line with inflation from then the price for 2020/21 would have been £400.

In fact, if my season card had risen in price each year in line with inflation then the prices would have been.

• 2016/17 £370 Actual paid £370
• 2017/18 £380 Actual paid £200 loss £180
• 2018/19 £390 Actual paid £250 loss £140
• 2019/20 £400 Actual paid £335 loss £65 Covid partial gate receipts. Some refunds.
• 2020/21 Covid "no" gate receipts. (Actually about £60,000)
• 2021/22 £410 Actual paid £310 loss £100
• 2022/23 £450 Actual paid £310 loss £140
• 2023/24 £480 Actual paid £310 loss £170

Another way of looking at this, is in the season 2016/17 the average price paid by fans to attend a match was around £12.50 compared to the £9.20 paid in 2020/21.

If the average entrance prices had stayed the same as 2016/17 (£12.50) then the gate receipts for 2020/21 would be £1,050k compared to the actual £770k a difference of £280k.

If the entrance prices had risen in line with inflation the average entrance price would have been £13.50 per person and the gate receipts would have been £1,130k compared to the actual £770k a difference of £360k.

Cumulatively over the last 7 seasons excluding the “covid season” I estimate that the lowering of the season card prices in 2017/18 has cost the club between £1.2 million to £1.6 million in gate receipts.

Whilst this is not the single cause of the black hole in the club finances it is a contributing factor. To put it simply we have not paid enough.

We accepted the lower prices, sat back, and “enjoyed” the ride.

The club would probably be in a better financial position now if instead of the Russ Green experiment with lower season card prices to increase the fan base they had instead tried a scheme like the £1 entry for certain games that they are currently promoting.

Duckegg has put some suggested season card prices on this thread. These are close to what you would have expected if prices from the 2016/17 had increased in line with inflation.

If season prices like these were adopted, then the gate receipts would be around £1.3 million per year and obviously gaining any new supporters would increase this figure.

For the club to be sustainable, no matter the ownership model, entrance prices need to increase.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 19:28]
What is up with you all!? on 18:55 - Dec 13 with 2305 viewsTVOS1907

What is up with you all!? on 18:46 - Dec 13 by A_Newby

From the 2020/21 accounts our gate receipts for the season were £770k with an average crowd of 3,089 for 27 home matches. This means that the average paid price per person to attend a match was about £9.20.

Looking at SOME of the “non-footballing” costs associated with putting on these matches.

• Stewarding £265k
• Police £190k
• Light & Heat £80k
• Rates & Water £45k
• Total £730k

So 770k revenue -730k non footballing costs = £40k. MAXIMUM towards the “football” costs!

In the season 2016/7 prior to the Russ Green scheme, I paid £370 for my seat in the main stand.

In the post covid season 2021/22 I paid £310. If the price of my season ticket had risen each year from the 2016/17 price in line with inflation from then the price for 2020/21 would have been £400.

In fact, if my season card had risen in price each year in line with inflation then the prices would have been.

• 2019/20 £400 Actual paid £335 loss £65 Covid partial gate receipts. Some refunds.

Another way of looking at this, is in the season 2016/17 the average price paid by fans to attend a match was around £12.50 compared to the £9.20 paid in 2020/21.

If the average entrance prices had stayed the same as 2016/17 (£12.50) then the gate receipts for 2020/21 would be £1,050k compared to the actual £770k a difference of £280k.

If the entrance prices had risen in line with inflation the average entrance price would have been £13.50 per person and the gate receipts would have been £1,130k compared to the actual £770k a difference of £360k.

Cumulatively over the last 7 seasons excluding the “covid season” I estimate that the lowering of the season card prices in 2017/18 has cost the club between £1.2 million to £1.6 million in gate receipts.

Whilst this is not the single cause of the black hole in the club finances it is a contributing factor. To put it simply we have not paid enough.

The club would probably be in a better financial position now if instead of the Russ Green experiment with lower season card prices to increase the fan base they had instead tried a scheme like the £1 entry for certain games that they are currently promoting.

Duckegg has put some suggested season card prices on this thread. These are close to what you would have expected if prices from the 2016/17 had increased in line with inflation.

If season prices like these were adopted, then the gate receipts would be around £1.3 million per year and obviously gaining any new supporters would increase this figure.

For the club to be sustainable, no matter the ownership model, entrance prices need to increase.

Hi A_Newby,

2019/20 had gate receipts up to March; 2020/21 was played behind closed doors, although a number of season tickets were still bought by fans wanting to support the club.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

What is up with you all!? on 19:02 - Dec 13 with 2280 viewsDalenet

What is up with you all!? on 18:46 - Dec 13 by A_Newby

• Stewarding £265k
• Police £190k
• Light & Heat £80k
• Rates & Water £45k
• Total £730k

Your last line is a bit contentious. We are priced at the very top end for this division for ticket prices. I'd agree that season ticket prices will need to go up over time. But well over £400 is a hard call. I'd happily pay £400 for League One footie....but not for non league.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 19:05]
What is up with you all!? on 19:16 - Dec 13 with 2243 viewsA_Newby

What is up with you all!? on 18:55 - Dec 13 by TVOS1907

Hi A_Newby,

2019/20 had gate receipts up to March; 2020/21 was played behind closed doors, although a number of season tickets were still bought by fans wanting to support the club.

Thanks,

Corrected. I often get season dates mixed up.
What is up with you all!? on 19:20 - Dec 13 with 2217 viewsRodingdale

What is up with you all!? on 19:02 - Dec 13 by Dalenet

Your last line is a bit contentious. We are priced at the very top end for this division for ticket prices. I'd agree that season ticket prices will need to go up over time. But well over £400 is a hard call. I'd happily pay £400 for League One footie....but not for non league.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 19:05]

The other way is to increase footfall by keeping basic admission price low and to really push add ons. The Boxing Day match being a good example. But you have to provide the opportunity for people to part with cash once a captive audience. EG Pop up merchandise stalls in every area of the ground. Bogof deals on food and drink, merch. Pop up refreshment stalls. Offer to buy the seat your in for the rest of the season for say £50 and enter free prize draw, scan and Apple Pay - Offer closes at midnight. Get 10% off next years SC if you buy before end of the season. Create pressure and opportunity to part with cash. Etc etc.
What is up with you all!? on 19:50 - Dec 13 with 2149 viewsTVOS1907

What is up with you all!? on 19:16 - Dec 13 by A_Newby

Thanks,

Corrected. I often get season dates mixed up.

Aye, it's easy to get confused about who's playing when and who's saying what.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024