Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club Appeal Red Card.. 17:04 - Apr 2 with 23743 viewsdale1968

In our current financial situation I dont get this.
We have a few games left and Hendo is avaialable so really baffling one by the club this.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024/april/mitchellredcardappealed/?fbclid=Iw

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 06:37 - Apr 4 with 4097 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 23:24 - Apr 3 by Shun

Although I disagree that you’re being dramatic for the sake of it, I do think you’re overreacting somewhat. £500 is a paltry amount, all things considered, probably the equivalent of 2-3 days’ wages for just one of our players. Not to mention that it’s refunded if the appeal is won. I don’t think it will be successful, but that’s more because the FA will want to be seen siding with their officials rather than because of the appeal’s legitimacy.

I completely take your point about how it looks when just a few weeks ago we were allegedly weeks from liquidation, but I agree with Daleaholic’s point that we’re siding with our players when we think they’ve been wronged. I’d hate to think of football with players too afraid to attempt slide tackles for fear of being suspended, even when executed accurately.

"Dear Sir Peter,

Thanks for the £500, which doesn't take us a single step towards becoming a self-sustaining community-focused football club.

Yours..."

How about we just start how we mean to go on?

When we've earned the money through normal trading channels, we can throw it away how we like. Have people forgotten that already?

P.S. it wasn't a sliding tackle, it was a studs-first lunge
[Post edited 4 Apr 7:19]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:19 - Apr 4 with 4022 viewsJames1980

Jim clearly disagreed with the decision and the club are sticking by a player. I think what JM has done with the attitude of the players is admirable and this appeal is part of the sense of unity within the club.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:26 - Apr 4 with 4000 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:19 - Apr 4 by James1980

Jim clearly disagreed with the decision and the club are sticking by a player. I think what JM has done with the attitude of the players is admirable and this appeal is part of the sense of unity within the club.

I guess that's why we appealed the Hendo red card

Oh...

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:43 - Apr 4 with 3961 viewsJames1980

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:26 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

I guess that's why we appealed the Hendo red card

Oh...

09:01 - 09:20 might explain the lack of appeal for Hendo's sending off

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:45 - Apr 4 with 3959 viewsrochedale

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 06:37 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

"Dear Sir Peter,

Thanks for the £500, which doesn't take us a single step towards becoming a self-sustaining community-focused football club.

Yours..."

How about we just start how we mean to go on?

When we've earned the money through normal trading channels, we can throw it away how we like. Have people forgotten that already?

P.S. it wasn't a sliding tackle, it was a studs-first lunge
[Post edited 4 Apr 7:19]

Untwist your bloody knickers you daft sod. It wasn’t a red, the club are appealing it so we can have one of our main men in action, hopefully, for the remainder of the season. You’re talking like we’ve just gambled the Crown Jewels on a roulette spin whist, as you like to call him, SPO is watching in disbelief. Calm down, I doubt SPO is as irate as what you are, this really does not warrant your overreaction at all.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:50 - Apr 4 with 3942 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:45 - Apr 4 by rochedale

Untwist your bloody knickers you daft sod. It wasn’t a red, the club are appealing it so we can have one of our main men in action, hopefully, for the remainder of the season. You’re talking like we’ve just gambled the Crown Jewels on a roulette spin whist, as you like to call him, SPO is watching in disbelief. Calm down, I doubt SPO is as irate as what you are, this really does not warrant your overreaction at all.

We have four games to play

In terms of "squad unity", the squad will then likely be scattered to the four winds

The club should stop pissing into it, they - and you - have their knickers twisted, and their values
[Post edited 4 Apr 7:50]

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 08:12 - Apr 4 with 3888 viewsJames1980

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:50 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

We have four games to play

In terms of "squad unity", the squad will then likely be scattered to the four winds

The club should stop pissing into it, they - and you - have their knickers twisted, and their values
[Post edited 4 Apr 7:50]

Mitchell is one of those who is contracted to 2025 so could potentially be with us for the duration of next season. As an aside would you give Mitchell a contract extension?

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 10:55 - Apr 4 with 3605 viewswheniwasyourage

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 07:45 - Apr 4 by rochedale

Ah, 'knicker in a twist.' Haven’t heard that since 1979, and never in the context of menstruation.

Reminds me of some other juvenile sayings .. thanks for taking me down the Pre-Thatcher memory lane:

Ants in your pants makes you belly button dance
Tale tell tip, you mother cant knit, your fathers in the dustbin eating fish and chips
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me
My dad's bigger then your (we all had dads back then)
No backsies!
Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.
Finders keepers, losers weepers.
Liar, liar, pants on fire.
[Post edited 4 Apr 10:57]
Login to get fewer ads

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 11:02 - Apr 4 with 3583 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 08:12 - Apr 4 by James1980

Mitchell is one of those who is contracted to 2025 so could potentially be with us for the duration of next season. As an aside would you give Mitchell a contract extension?

I'd wait till the new year 2025 * to see if he was making progress, and depending on what other options were available. He's done okay, but wouldn't exactly describe him as "leading the line" or even "a main man"

* I'm expecting us to remain frugal with signings and contracts, unless we've sold someone or drawn a major club in the 3rd round of the FA cup by then. We spend when we've earned. I hope no-one's expecting anything else. This is the key principle by which we must abide, starting from now
[Post edited 4 Apr 11:15]

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 11:38 - Apr 4 with 3478 views442Dale

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 11:02 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

I'd wait till the new year 2025 * to see if he was making progress, and depending on what other options were available. He's done okay, but wouldn't exactly describe him as "leading the line" or even "a main man"

* I'm expecting us to remain frugal with signings and contracts, unless we've sold someone or drawn a major club in the 3rd round of the FA cup by then. We spend when we've earned. I hope no-one's expecting anything else. This is the key principle by which we must abide, starting from now
[Post edited 4 Apr 11:15]

Totally on board with that. We’ve already illustrated that we aren’t capable of spending wisely when budgets have been “significantly increased” in the past anyway.

It’s vital we secure the club’s future first. Then we need to get the right people in to take it forward.

Off the pitch before on it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 12:17 - Apr 4 with 3322 viewsJames1980

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 11:38 - Apr 4 by 442Dale

Totally on board with that. We’ve already illustrated that we aren’t capable of spending wisely when budgets have been “significantly increased” in the past anyway.

It’s vital we secure the club’s future first. Then we need to get the right people in to take it forward.

Hopefully with tools like mrkt or similar at their disposal any spending will be done with more wisdom.

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 13:28 - Apr 4 with 3180 viewsDale_4_Life

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 11:38 - Apr 4 by 442Dale

Off the pitch stability will lead to on the pitch success.

Absolutley right here is a 3 point plan. Who delivers the plan has a big job to do.

1. Generate more revenue through increased attendances.

2. Generate more revenue with some well thought out initiatives 12 months of the year.

3. Take the money thats generated over a 12 month period and ensure all outgoings are less.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 13:35 - Apr 4 with 3149 viewsBillyRudd

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 14:47 - Apr 3 by D_Alien

Let's get this straight, once and for all

At the EGM we had a deadline of the end of March to find investors or face liquidation - i'll spell that out again in capitals.. LIQUIDATION

So let's start from there...

SPO & family come to the immediate rescue by agreeing to fund the final month of the season, pending an agreement on further investment. It was made crystal clear that this was NOT about funding the playing side of Dale but in allowing sufficient scope to enhance our commercial side with a view to becoming a self-sustaining community-focused outfit. We all seemed to buy into that

Two minutes later, and for no good reason (unless the player is self-funding the appeal), the club are throwing £500 at an appeal - which we didn't have at the end of March. This looks to me like an abuse of the goodwill that SPO offered in seeing out the season. It's using that funding for the playing side, other than the basic paying of wages

It sends the wrong message about our finances and already on the back of this, some - in this very thread - are suggesting the appeal can go ahead because SPO agreed to see us through the remaining games. The appeal should never have even been considered, and those who think it's okay to do so already appear to have forgotten exactly where we were just a few days ago, i.e. out on our uppers and within a whisker of having no club to support

It's just not right, by any principle other than thinking Mitchell's stupid lunge was okay and "we need to beat the Biffos" .... FFS
[Post edited 3 Apr 14:51]

Never ever in a month of Sundays did I think I would agree with the "Resident Pedant" but spot on D,Alien. An appeal is wrong on so many counts, not the least is that he is hardly a goal machine.
ps In the seventies when football was both a contact sport and exciting that tackle would have been considered a no nonsense blood and thunder challenge and lauded for it, but even a luddite like me can see that it was an easy decision for the ref.
pps I sneaked a comma in for you D Alien. Did you spot it?
Up the Mighty Dale
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 14:00 - Apr 4 with 3091 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 13:35 - Apr 4 by BillyRudd

Never ever in a month of Sundays did I think I would agree with the "Resident Pedant" but spot on D,Alien. An appeal is wrong on so many counts, not the least is that he is hardly a goal machine.
ps In the seventies when football was both a contact sport and exciting that tackle would have been considered a no nonsense blood and thunder challenge and lauded for it, but even a luddite like me can see that it was an easy decision for the ref.
pps I sneaked a comma in for you D Alien. Did you spot it?
Up the Mighty Dale

Difficult not to spot a ruddy comma

I agree about earlier rules, but they are what they are now

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 14:45 - Apr 4 with 2929 viewsturnthescrew

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 13:28 - Apr 4 by Dale_4_Life

Off the pitch stability will lead to on the pitch success.

Absolutley right here is a 3 point plan. Who delivers the plan has a big job to do.

1. Generate more revenue through increased attendances.

2. Generate more revenue with some well thought out initiatives 12 months of the year.

3. Take the money thats generated over a 12 month period and ensure all outgoings are less.

Exactly what successive people in charge claim to have been doing for the last 40 years.

New ideas and new initiatives are desperately needed along with proper, experienced leadership in all areas off the pitch and most importantly in the Boardroom. Change is a must.

Without those changes, we will continue to be a rudderless business going nowhere.

As for the appeal of the red card for Mitchell, it was the right thing to do. It was never justified. It was no more than a robust challenge, despite the histrionics of the opposition player involved.

It will no doubt be upheld as the ranks of officials stick together but unless clubs highlight these ridiculous on-field decisions and expose the referees who are incompetent, nothing will change. Regardless of what the FA say publicly, they must be able to see the deterioration in the standards of refereeing and it needs to be addressed.

They are killing the game as a spectacle. Perhaps that's why there's so much boring 'tippy-tappy' nonsense pervading the modern game. It is rapidly becoming a non-contact sport. In that scenario, we are all losers.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 2738 viewsSaxonDale

Presume McNulty spoke to the referee to clarify his reasoning behind sending him off ahead of the referee submitting his post match report.Having spoken to the referee and looked at various camera angles, can only assume he it will get overturned.

FWIW I’m still convinced it wasn’t worthy of any card.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 16:21 - Apr 4 with 2697 viewsjudd

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 16:08 - Apr 4 by SaxonDale

Presume McNulty spoke to the referee to clarify his reasoning behind sending him off ahead of the referee submitting his post match report.Having spoken to the referee and looked at various camera angles, can only assume he it will get overturned.

The only card it was worthy of is a postcard, he was that far away from him.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 17:59 - Apr 4 with 2477 viewsnordenblue

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 16:08 - Apr 4 by SaxonDale

You'd imagine Jim wouldn't appeal something he knows full well we've no chance of winning, he's aware of the full details and obviously the clubs finances, you'd imagine he's been given the green light regarding costs to appeal so fingers crossed now, seems a lot of wildly over the top reactions about not a great deal.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:14 - Apr 4 with 2438 viewsrichfoad32

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 14:45 - Apr 4 by turnthescrew

Exactly what successive people in charge claim to have been doing for the last 40 years.

New ideas and new initiatives are desperately needed along with proper, experienced leadership in all areas off the pitch and most importantly in the Boardroom. Change is a must.

Without those changes, we will continue to be a rudderless business going nowhere.

As for the appeal of the red card for Mitchell, it was the right thing to do. It was never justified. It was no more than a robust challenge, despite the histrionics of the opposition player involved.

It will no doubt be upheld as the ranks of officials stick together but unless clubs highlight these ridiculous on-field decisions and expose the referees who are incompetent, nothing will change. Regardless of what the FA say publicly, they must be able to see the deterioration in the standards of refereeing and it needs to be addressed.

They are killing the game as a spectacle. Perhaps that's why there's so much boring 'tippy-tappy' nonsense pervading the modern game. It is rapidly becoming a non-contact sport. In that scenario, we are all losers.

We can all look back misty eyed on the good old days of 40-50 years ago when players were allowed to kick lumps out of each other without recourse and teams employed hatchet men specifically to target more talented members of the opposition. When football was a 'mans game'.

But I've read so many stories from players of that era who had their careers hampered or wrecked by the kind of challenges people seem to be so nostalgic for. There's a hell of a lot wrong with the modern game but attempting to cut down on dangerous and reckless tackles isn't one of them. Players, including Mitchell, know you just can't dive in like he did any more, regardless of winning the ball first. I appreciate others hold different opinions, but it was naive at best.

I've owt against Kairo or the club standing by him. I'd be happy (but shocked) if an appeal is won.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:31 - Apr 4 with 2338 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 16:21 - Apr 4 by judd

The only card it was worthy of is a postcard, he was that far away from him.

How far is "that far"?

"Highlights" around 2,45mins show the ref at the edge of the centre circle and moving towards the incident, which took place parallel with the centre circle

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:50 - Apr 4 with 2244 viewsdownunder

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:31 - Apr 4 by D_Alien

How far is "that far"?

"Highlights" around 2,45mins show the ref at the edge of the centre circle and moving towards the incident, which took place parallel with the centre circle

Parallel with a circle? I think you are going off on a tangent this time.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:59 - Apr 4 with 2208 viewsD_Alien

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:50 - Apr 4 by downunder

Parallel with a circle? I think you are going off on a tangent this time.

I never go off at anything other than a tangent, but the video is there for all to see

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 19:36 - Apr 4 with 2080 viewsturnthescrew

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 18:14 - Apr 4 by richfoad32

We can all look back misty eyed on the good old days of 40-50 years ago when players were allowed to kick lumps out of each other without recourse and teams employed hatchet men specifically to target more talented members of the opposition. When football was a 'mans game'.

But I've read so many stories from players of that era who had their careers hampered or wrecked by the kind of challenges people seem to be so nostalgic for. There's a hell of a lot wrong with the modern game but attempting to cut down on dangerous and reckless tackles isn't one of them. Players, including Mitchell, know you just can't dive in like he did any more, regardless of winning the ball first. I appreciate others hold different opinions, but it was naive at best.

I've owt against Kairo or the club standing by him. I'd be happy (but shocked) if an appeal is won.

I'm not being misty-eyed about anything. The Billy Bremner, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith types of player wouldn't last 5 minutes in the modern era and quite rightly would be red-carded and frequently.

The fact is, we have now reached the equally unacceptable, opposite end of the spectrum. Football is a contact sport, requiring players to compete for possession of the ball. The tackle made by Mitchell was a fair, robust tackle. No more than that.

No-one wants to see the Bremner type tackles or punch-ups of yesteryear. (If you do, check YouTube). Hopefully they've gone for good, but let's not punish honest, young professionals for playing the game in the way it is meant to be played.
Club Appeal Red Card.. on 22:11 - Apr 4 with 1835 viewsdingdangblue

On another day another ref doesn't send him off. It was one of those that is open to interpretation. Even though he got the ball it was a lunge and could be regarded as reckless. No chance it will be overturned.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 06:43 - Apr 5 with 1565 viewskel

Club Appeal Red Card.. on 10:55 - Apr 4 by wheniwasyourage

Ah, 'knicker in a twist.' Haven’t heard that since 1979, and never in the context of menstruation.

Reminds me of some other juvenile sayings .. thanks for taking me down the Pre-Thatcher memory lane:

Ants in your pants makes you belly button dance
Tale tell tip, you mother cant knit, your fathers in the dustbin eating fish and chips
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me
My dad's bigger then your (we all had dads back then)
No backsies!
Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.
Finders keepers, losers weepers.
Liar, liar, pants on fire.
[Post edited 4 Apr 10:57]

I always thought it was “tell tale tit”

Maybee I’m wrong though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024