Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dorking 11:35 - Apr 13 with 14314 viewsDalenet

Hope the pitch holds out today. Dorking travelled yesterday and have been relaxing in the pool and sauna's at the Norton Grange overnight. I overheard them say that 36 players and staff were to be catered for - not bad for a semi-pro part time team. Lets hope they ate a large breakfast
Dorking on 23:07 - Apr 13 with 3462 viewsDalenet

Looking at the wider table it is now clear that 52 points might not be enough to keep a team in this league. We have a big influence on whether Borehamwood survive or not on Tuesday. I hope we put up a fight to maintain some integrity to the competition. But I fear a drubbing as they fight for their lives. We may well end the season just 4 or so points off relegation. A season for us all to forget - I can't really find anything positive that I will remember it for.
Dorking on 23:50 - Apr 13 with 3337 viewsSuddenLad

Dorking on 23:07 - Apr 13 by Dalenet

Looking at the wider table it is now clear that 52 points might not be enough to keep a team in this league. We have a big influence on whether Borehamwood survive or not on Tuesday. I hope we put up a fight to maintain some integrity to the competition. But I fear a drubbing as they fight for their lives. We may well end the season just 4 or so points off relegation. A season for us all to forget - I can't really find anything positive that I will remember it for.

I watched Borehamwood batter Aldershot 3-0 earlier tonight. They were were a strong, dangerous attacking side who were quick and played like they were fighting for their lives.

Very impressive and unless we are up for a fight on Tuesday against a seriously determined opposition, then we will be their next win. By no means are they relegation fodder.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dorking on 00:18 - Apr 14 with 3301 viewsJames1980

Dorking on 23:50 - Apr 13 by SuddenLad

I watched Borehamwood batter Aldershot 3-0 earlier tonight. They were were a strong, dangerous attacking side who were quick and played like they were fighting for their lives.

Very impressive and unless we are up for a fight on Tuesday against a seriously determined opposition, then we will be their next win. By no means are they relegation fodder.

Mathematically we could have made the playoffs before the start of yesterday's game.

We were on 57
Halifax 66 with a better GD but...... Oh well we drew so it ain't gonna happen
[Post edited 14 Apr 0:43]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Dorking on 00:32 - Apr 14 with 3272 viewsFrog

Dorking on 00:18 - Apr 14 by James1980

Mathematically we could have made the playoffs before the start of yesterday's game.

We were on 57
Halifax 66 with a better GD but...... Oh well we drew so it ain't gonna happen
[Post edited 14 Apr 0:43]

Yes it's boring, yes it's driving people away, but we didn't lose today. Just feels like we did. Can't watch this crap anymore.
Dorking on 08:58 - Apr 14 with 2938 viewsZac_B

Admittedly I've only seen 15 games this year, but of those, I can only really say I enjoyed one (Barnet H). I probably would have made more of an effort to get to more games if they weren't so painfully boring.

Growing up, through my teenage years and into my 20s I loved watching Dale home and away, before other commitments stopped me from going so much. Now that I am back in the area and can attend more, I'm just not sure I actually want to - it feels like the game has changed completely and honestly, heading to the cinema, going for a walk or for a meal, for example, is a much more attractive option.

I really, really wanted to enjoy this season and talk about positives, but if anyone from the club reads this message board, I need you to know that this floating supporter has really tried and made an effort this season to attend where possible (and taken people who wouldn't normally attend too) but I can't watch this type of football again...there are better things to do.
[Post edited 14 Apr 9:42]
Dorking on 09:37 - Apr 14 with 2857 viewsDalenet

Dorking on 08:58 - Apr 14 by Zac_B

Admittedly I've only seen 15 games this year, but of those, I can only really say I enjoyed one (Barnet H). I probably would have made more of an effort to get to more games if they weren't so painfully boring.

Growing up, through my teenage years and into my 20s I loved watching Dale home and away, before other commitments stopped me from going so much. Now that I am back in the area and can attend more, I'm just not sure I actually want to - it feels like the game has changed completely and honestly, heading to the cinema, going for a walk or for a meal, for example, is a much more attractive option.

I really, really wanted to enjoy this season and talk about positives, but if anyone from the club reads this message board, I need you to know that this floating supporter has really tried and made an effort this season to attend where possible (and taken people who wouldn't normally attend too) but I can't watch this type of football again...there are better things to do.
[Post edited 14 Apr 9:42]

I don't think you are alone. Hundreds of season ticket holders have stayed away from some games this season. The Board may have been focussed on pressing financial matters, but they still fail to recognise that they can't take support for granted. Look at Tuesday. Several fans travelled hundreds of miles to watch to find it was postponed. They can't change the weather but they could communicate better. No apology, no recognition of the inconvenience for travelling fans, no messages ahead of Saturday to tell people how the pitch was and what they had done to make it playable. Hornets play on it today. I am not going to take any chances on travelling this Tuesday. Its just too much hassle and risk. I am glad the season is over. I have no hope for next season at all....just hanging on to see what the Ogdens want to do. But no more of this pedestrian football please
Dorking on 10:08 - Apr 14 with 2737 viewsDale_4_Life

Jim McNulty is a terrific bloke who was dealt a terrible hand this season.

Great we stayed up but with a more positive approach we would be on the cusp of the playoffs I am sure.

The pedestrian football is dreadful to watch. We allow teams to get back set up two banks of defenders and then try and tippy Tappy through over playing and overcomplicated tactics. What is wrong with a speedy distribution to a wide player overlapping full backs, early whipped crosses attacked at pace and getting shots off galore!!! It would not take much to go for it next year but if Jim wants to keep this style up the board must act.

Agree we cannot waste another close season we need to be out of the traps game one minute one.
Dorking on 10:10 - Apr 14 with 2734 viewsBillyRudd

Dorking on 23:07 - Apr 13 by Dalenet

"A season for us all to forget - I can't really find anything positive that I will remember it for"!!!
What?. Not even Truenorth and I discussing the pros and cons of Ninja airfryers yesterday because we were bored witless with the football?
I don,t listen to the clapping seals interviews anymore but am confident he was very proud of them.
Beginning to question my sanity actually choosing to watch this parody of what football should be about.. There is,nt one single player, with the winner mentality, in that bunch in the mode of a Cooksey, Jones or Grant Holt.
Mcnultys teams play like he used to play, languid with the ever present huge potential of an enormous rick along the way.
ps Hats off to the Dorking manager. Its not often the clapping seal is outdone in the touchline style department.
Login to get fewer ads

Dorking on 11:09 - Apr 14 with 2582 viewsDalenet

Dorking on 10:10 - Apr 14 by BillyRudd

"A season for us all to forget - I can't really find anything positive that I will remember it for"!!!
What?. Not even Truenorth and I discussing the pros and cons of Ninja airfryers yesterday because we were bored witless with the football?
I don,t listen to the clapping seals interviews anymore but am confident he was very proud of them.
Beginning to question my sanity actually choosing to watch this parody of what football should be about.. There is,nt one single player, with the winner mentality, in that bunch in the mode of a Cooksey, Jones or Grant Holt.
Mcnultys teams play like he used to play, languid with the ever present huge potential of an enormous rick along the way.
ps Hats off to the Dorking manager. Its not often the clapping seal is outdone in the touchline style department.

Your sausage cooking technique was the highlight of the day. I still won't be buying a Ninja or an airfryer
[Post edited 14 Apr 11:09]
Dorking on 11:11 - Apr 14 with 2570 viewsscarrow

Its football fashion unfortunately- the way newly trained UEFA badge holders must be being coached to play. I've watched a few non-league matches (lower than NL) this season and alot of them play in exactly the same style. Look for the perfect goal.

Even Premier League players cock it up though - Burnley's keeper in the last 2 matches

I fear this style is here to stay for a while yet

Poll: Final position

Dorking on 11:42 - Apr 14 with 2483 viewsJames1980

Dorking on 11:11 - Apr 14 by scarrow

Its football fashion unfortunately- the way newly trained UEFA badge holders must be being coached to play. I've watched a few non-league matches (lower than NL) this season and alot of them play in exactly the same style. Look for the perfect goal.

Even Premier League players cock it up though - Burnley's keeper in the last 2 matches

I saw a video where a coach suggested a drill where the aim is to score a goal but the team gets more points the more passes they make prior to scoring.

Dorking on 11:54 - Apr 14 with 2464 viewsD_Alien

Dorking on 11:11 - Apr 14 by scarrow

I fear for the goalkeeping profession

They're being asked to play risky, incisive passes to players who're already marked on the edge of their box (usually defenders whose skills in a tight situation may not be the best to start with) that a top-class midfielder wouldn't consider in the attacking half, with the option of losing their place between the sticks if they don't

The word "insanity" doesn't even cover it. Burnley's keeper tried to put his foot on the ball and missed it completely, but every week there are goals conceded from this type of idiocy

If you want a keeper to lose confidence and look like a right pillock in front of millions (or even just a couple of thousand hardy souls), ask them to do what they're being tasked with. Which manager will be brave enough to say: enough is enough? There must be one or two out there...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dorking on 11:58 - Apr 14 with 2443 views49thseason

I have very mixed feelings about this season, "its been frustrating"seems to be the overwhelming thought when I look back, we started with another virtually new team, unknown oppositions and a dread of another horrid time. Some of our players took time to establish themselves, others looked no better than when they got us relegated. The manager clearly hadn't changed his spots.

As the weather got worse so did the results, and the slide down the table began. We just were not capable of killing teams off. The opposition worked hard, if occasionally somewhat agriculturally, threw men forwards and defended in numbers.. I think we could have all guessed that was what might be expected, our response to that simple game plan has been to keep the ball and move gradually from defence to attack, unfortunately, this team is shot-shy and dreadfully wasteful in front of goal. And the lack of pace going forwards has presented the opportunity for our opposition to organise defensively.

I think the last few games have been slightly better, using more width and trying to bring Mitchell into the game earlier, albeit with his back to the goal he should be shooting at. Speaking of Mitchell, he reminds me of the a product of a the PE teacher in the film "Kes" ... " Mitchell.. you are the tallest , play centre forward" .. sadly the lad is only a shadow of what I would regard as a centre forward, cant head, isnt robust and not greedy enough in front of goal, he could easily have bagged 20+ if he had more of the sort of "attitude" that got him sent off.

I do sense that the "walking football" has developed into something more akin to what is needed to be more successful , we are clearly experimenting with wingers and are making chances , especially when they put their foot to the floor and attack with pace and power, having Rodney available has been a big plus lately, he isnt the messiah but we have been better when he has played.

Next season, we simply have to score more goals, turn draws into wins and lose fewer games. KH reckoned you can only lose 10 games if you want to be in the promotion places, maybe 12 in this league. But you have to score goals, lots of them.
Do that and the crowds will come. Settle for more of the same and they will not.

Equally we need to have a bit of luck, the injury list has been longer than the team sheet for most of the season, McNulty will surely have a better idea of what sort of players we need and in which positions.. Goalkeeper, centre half x2 , left back, striker x2 , wingers, another summer of wholesale changes...

Fingers crossed, the Ogdens will finalise a deal and some of the financial constraints will be lifted and the next phase of the club's history can begin with a changed atmosphere and renewed positivity around the place. Make no mistake, there will not be extravagant expenditure and the academy, in whatever form it takes, will need to be front and centre in the search for new talent, but we can at least start to look up again rather than continually checking how many points we are above the trapdoor.
Dorking on 12:16 - Apr 14 with 2376 viewsonedalefan

Dorking on 22:26 - Apr 13 by EllDale

I don’t want us to go to the other extreme but does anyone else remember the time in the first half when Dale were pressing and won a corner. It was taken short and the ball ended up back in our half.
Result - pressure off and crowd frustrated.

It actually went all the way back to Chapman which sums everything up.
Dorking on 12:30 - Apr 14 with 2307 viewsfrenzied

Dorking on 11:54 - Apr 14 by D_Alien

I fear for the goalkeeping profession

They're being asked to play risky, incisive passes to players who're already marked on the edge of their box (usually defenders whose skills in a tight situation may not be the best to start with) that a top-class midfielder wouldn't consider in the attacking half, with the option of losing their place between the sticks if they don't

The word "insanity" doesn't even cover it. Burnley's keeper tried to put his foot on the ball and missed it completely, but every week there are goals conceded from this type of idiocy

If you want a keeper to lose confidence and look like a right pillock in front of millions (or even just a couple of thousand hardy souls), ask them to do what they're being tasked with. Which manager will be brave enough to say: enough is enough? There must be one or two out there...

The goalie role has changed massively.

In the 70s and beyond it was the big hoof upfront and the big centre forward..Toshack..Jordan ,Latchford et al..would look to flick it on .

I think Schmeichel was one of the first keepers to throw the ball long distances to his front players.

Remember the furore when Pep decided to offload Joe Hart because his lack of skills with his feet..lo and behold the rest is history with the benefits Ederson brings.

Goalies in todays games are effectively sweepers
Dorking on 17:50 - Apr 14 with 1866 viewsJames1980

Dorking on 11:58 - Apr 14 by 49thseason

I have very mixed feelings about this season, "its been frustrating"seems to be the overwhelming thought when I look back, we started with another virtually new team, unknown oppositions and a dread of another horrid time. Some of our players took time to establish themselves, others looked no better than when they got us relegated. The manager clearly hadn't changed his spots.

As the weather got worse so did the results, and the slide down the table began. We just were not capable of killing teams off. The opposition worked hard, if occasionally somewhat agriculturally, threw men forwards and defended in numbers.. I think we could have all guessed that was what might be expected, our response to that simple game plan has been to keep the ball and move gradually from defence to attack, unfortunately, this team is shot-shy and dreadfully wasteful in front of goal. And the lack of pace going forwards has presented the opportunity for our opposition to organise defensively.

I think the last few games have been slightly better, using more width and trying to bring Mitchell into the game earlier, albeit with his back to the goal he should be shooting at. Speaking of Mitchell, he reminds me of the a product of a the PE teacher in the film "Kes" ... " Mitchell.. you are the tallest , play centre forward" .. sadly the lad is only a shadow of what I would regard as a centre forward, cant head, isnt robust and not greedy enough in front of goal, he could easily have bagged 20+ if he had more of the sort of "attitude" that got him sent off.

I do sense that the "walking football" has developed into something more akin to what is needed to be more successful , we are clearly experimenting with wingers and are making chances , especially when they put their foot to the floor and attack with pace and power, having Rodney available has been a big plus lately, he isnt the messiah but we have been better when he has played.

Next season, we simply have to score more goals, turn draws into wins and lose fewer games. KH reckoned you can only lose 10 games if you want to be in the promotion places, maybe 12 in this league. But you have to score goals, lots of them.
Do that and the crowds will come. Settle for more of the same and they will not.

Equally we need to have a bit of luck, the injury list has been longer than the team sheet for most of the season, McNulty will surely have a better idea of what sort of players we need and in which positions.. Goalkeeper, centre half x2 , left back, striker x2 , wingers, another summer of wholesale changes...

Fingers crossed, the Ogdens will finalise a deal and some of the financial constraints will be lifted and the next phase of the club's history can begin with a changed atmosphere and renewed positivity around the place. Make no mistake, there will not be extravagant expenditure and the academy, in whatever form it takes, will need to be front and centre in the search for new talent, but we can at least start to look up again rather than continually checking how many points we are above the trapdoor.

On the subject of the academy. This is what is on their website under the heading
ATTACKING
We will encourage all teams to play fast attacking football using the traits of the football club, body shape, soft touches and fast passing. Constant Movement is a fundamental trait of the Attacking play and practices, formations and individual roles are designed to encourage players to:

• Run to Receive
• Run to Deceive
• Run To Retrieve

All Academy teams will try to play out from the Goalkeeper, who will be the focal pivot of the start of our attacking play, highest pass first, and try to penetrate through the thirds. On entering the middle third of the pitch we will look to create over-loads, utilise rotation and play through central areas. This will also provide a base for balance and security.

We will look to create space throughout our play with multi-movements and support; players will be encouraged to drive and slide, drive and shoot, and the players have the licence to express themselves and ‘come alive’ in the final third where end product is a must.

I reckon if we did attack like that then there would be few complaints.

Dorking on 17:57 - Apr 14 with 1853 viewsD_Alien

Dorking on 17:50 - Apr 14 by James1980

On the subject of the academy. This is what is on their website under the heading
ATTACKING
We will encourage all teams to play fast attacking football using the traits of the football club, body shape, soft touches and fast passing. Constant Movement is a fundamental trait of the Attacking play and practices, formations and individual roles are designed to encourage players to:

• Run to Receive
• Run to Deceive
• Run To Retrieve

All Academy teams will try to play out from the Goalkeeper, who will be the focal pivot of the start of our attacking play, highest pass first, and try to penetrate through the thirds. On entering the middle third of the pitch we will look to create over-loads, utilise rotation and play through central areas. This will also provide a base for balance and security.

We will look to create space throughout our play with multi-movements and support; players will be encouraged to drive and slide, drive and shoot, and the players have the licence to express themselves and ‘come alive’ in the final third where end product is a must.

I just really wish that didn't include "soft touches"

Dorking on 18:08 - Apr 14 with 1822 viewsjonahwhereru

What a negative thread this is in the main. At the start of the season many on here feared consecutive relegations. Multiple injuries later, including the main striking threat being out for most of the season, we are a bang average side sitting in the top half on a positive goal difference. Well sorry to swim against the tide but that represent an arrest in the decline of on field matters to me.
I hope the Ogden’s don’t look at this site, where mainly long term committed Dale fans see a mid table finish as a real under achievement. The charitable activities are the main draw for them, not the team. If they do complete the deal I think many fans expectation will be so unrealistic, reckon many will want a play off final, a plus twenty five goal difference and 4th round of the FA cup as a minimum. Plus of course 80% of our goals being score with build ups of no more than 3 passes.
Honestly I don’t think the fan base will have the patience to allow a relationship with the Ogden’s to flourish.
If they do conclude the deal I wish them the best of luck, they will certainly need it.
Dorking on 18:16 - Apr 14 with 1790 viewsD_Alien

Dorking on 18:08 - Apr 14 by jonahwhereru

What a negative thread this is in the main. At the start of the season many on here feared consecutive relegations. Multiple injuries later, including the main striking threat being out for most of the season, we are a bang average side sitting in the top half on a positive goal difference. Well sorry to swim against the tide but that represent an arrest in the decline of on field matters to me.
I hope the Ogden’s don’t look at this site, where mainly long term committed Dale fans see a mid table finish as a real under achievement. The charitable activities are the main draw for them, not the team. If they do complete the deal I think many fans expectation will be so unrealistic, reckon many will want a play off final, a plus twenty five goal difference and 4th round of the FA cup as a minimum. Plus of course 80% of our goals being score with build ups of no more than 3 passes.
Honestly I don’t think the fan base will have the patience to allow a relationship with the Ogden’s to flourish.
If they do conclude the deal I wish them the best of luck, they will certainly need it.

You've entirely missed the point

The football on offer has been almost unwatchable

I hope the Ogdens do read this thread. They need to know how those who've supported through thick and thin are being turned off and in moving towards a self-financing club that's an absolute disaster

Dorking on 18:30 - Apr 14 with 1748 viewsZac_B

Dorking on 18:08 - Apr 14 by jonahwhereru

Though I obviously can't speak on behalf of others on this thread - my issue is not with the league position at all, far from it...it is with watching very boring football.

And if this is how UEFA are teaching people to coach and this style of football is 'in' for the foreseeable, then that's fine - I just don't particularly want to watch it.
[Post edited 14 Apr 18:40]
Dorking on 19:34 - Apr 14 with 1610 viewsEllDale

I sometimes wonder if appreciation of BJ’s style of football is a generational thing?
It may bother some of the contributors on here but does it matter to the lads who belt out the songs in the Sandy (and fair play to them) because these are the people perhaps who the Head Coach has such a rapport with?
As for season ticket renewals; I, like several people on here, am deliberating about buying another one in summer.
If I do it it will be from a sense of loyalty and solidarity with the club and not in anticipation of seeing scintillating, riproaring football in 2024/2025.
Pretty much the same reasons which saw me buy a ticket after the Covid lockdown, after relegation to L2 and then further relegation to the NL.
There’s got to be a relatively large price hike which is justifiable and which is also a deterrent if, like myself, you can’t get many or any midweek fixtures.
The fear though is that if I don’t renew and plump for picking and choosing matches then will I be making a decision on the day of the game, assessing team form and the weather for example? Will I be bothered about not being be able to just pitch up and pay cash at a turnstile?
And once out the habit of attending religiously no matter what will I find myself having better or less time consuming things to do on Saturday afternoons in winter.
Quite worrying from a personal point of view.
Dorking on 21:08 - Apr 14 with 1438 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Dorking on 18:30 - Apr 14 by Zac_B

Though I obviously can't speak on behalf of others on this thread - my issue is not with the league position at all, far from it...it is with watching very boring football.

And if this is how UEFA are teaching people to coach and this style of football is 'in' for the foreseeable, then that's fine - I just don't particularly want to watch it.
[Post edited 14 Apr 18:40]

Im afraid I’ve got a problem with both the league position & the style of football. It’s been a difficult watch this season, possibly as bad as I can remember for many years.
NcNultys obsession with pedestrian possession based football at all costs makes me wonder if he’s got an autographed copy of Peps pop up book of football tactics.
Im not wedded to any particular style of play but the bottom line is that if we don’t put a winning team on the pitch then all the off field initiatives in the world won’t make a blind bit of difference.
For that reason I think we need to go with a change of management & a change of ethos. Our priority must be to get back into the football league, not just sticking with a particular style of play in the hope that we can sell a young player on to a Prem / Championship side just because he’s been coached in a way that those clubs prefer.
Surely ability & natural talent will shine through regardless?
Let’s not forget that we are at the lowest point in the clubs history that any of us can remember… & for the posters on here who think that mere survival is enough “as long as we have a club to watch”, if you accept that then that’s what we could well end up with.
It’s not what I want & I believe we should aim for so much more than that.
Dorking on 22:11 - Apr 14 with 1301 viewsJames1980

Dorking on 17:50 - Apr 14 by James1980

ATTACKING

• Run to Receive
• Run to Deceive
• Run To Retrieve

DEFENDING
All Academy teams will be encouraged to deny the opposition space and time pressing the ball when possession is lost. This emphasises the constant movement philosophy, especially:

• Run To Retrieve

With the attacking philosophy of overloading central areas, we will look to regain the ball as quickly as possible. In the attacking and mid thirds areas of the pitch we will encourage the players to show the opposition inside, in the defending third show away from goal.

If the opposition play though the press the next phase of our defending would be to recover, deny, delay, control and restrain the opposition’s penetration with the emphasis on regaining the ball.

This doesn't sound pedestrian and boring.

Dorking on 22:42 - Apr 14 with 1240 viewsEllDale

To my mind it sounds depressing and jargon ridden.
Why complicate what is essentially a simple game?
I’m slightly disillusioned now; it’s obviously an age thing but this isn’t the game I know.
Dorking on 23:43 - Apr 14 with 1160 viewsSandyman

Despite disillusionment with Jim's one track only the performance matters whoever else it bores style, should the Ogden takeover go through I will 100% renew my season card. This is the best hope we've had in years of being able to survive and compete on and off the pitch. What the scene will look like and how it will work, who knows, but I don't want to miss it.

UP THE DALE
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024