Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election 13:52 - May 22 with 15363 viewsraynor94

Are we about to hear the date later today, Sunak has called a cabinet meeting this afternoon.

Inflation is down, things aren't going to get much better for the Tories.

July 4th😉

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

General Election on 08:11 - Jun 2 with 1217 viewsDr_Winston

General Election on 00:22 - Jun 2 by Scotia

Most of the time they don't even think about it.

A vote in a general election is the most significant contribution we can make as an adult to life in this country. Everyone should do it and think about what they're voting for. Most people don't.

I'm sure you've seen people on here defending the Tory party despite the absolute cluster f**k they've made of the country, similar to people voting for Tony Blair and then Jeremy Corbyn.

The best one is the 20mph speed limit in Wales. Clearly in Labour manifesto, we re-elected them and then moaned about it.

People are stupid.

And there are those who think that it's a good thing that everyone over 18 years old is allowed to cast a vote, no matter how stupid, and don't see a problem with allowing 16yr olds to do it too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

General Election on 08:33 - Jun 2 with 1192 viewsBoundy

General Election on 08:11 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

And there are those who think that it's a good thing that everyone over 18 years old is allowed to cast a vote, no matter how stupid, and don't see a problem with allowing 16yr olds to do it too.

People are stupid if they read a manifesto, ignore the contents, vote for that party ,then moan .That's stupid

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

General Election on 08:35 - Jun 2 with 1191 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

General Election on 20:47 - Jun 1 by onehunglow

I had to look that up.

We allow women the vote now.

Hormonal and irrational creatures I’ve heard!

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

General Election on 08:59 - Jun 2 with 1187 viewsDr_Winston

General Election on 08:33 - Jun 2 by Boundy

People are stupid if they read a manifesto, ignore the contents, vote for that party ,then moan .That's stupid

People don't read manifestos. That much is clear.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

General Election on 09:21 - Jun 2 with 1182 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

General Election on 08:59 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis you can’t trust people.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

General Election on 09:27 - Jun 2 with 1172 viewsWhiterockin

A vote in a general election is the most significant contribution we can make as an adult to life in this country. Everyone should do it and think about what they're voting for. Most people don't.

I'm sure you've seen people on here defending the Tory party despite the absolute cluster f**k they've made of the country, similar to people voting for Tony Blair and then Jeremy Corbyn.

The best one is the 20mph speed limit in Wales. Clearly in Labour manifesto, we re-elected them and then moaned about it.

People are stupid.

The 2016 labour manifesto promised a M4 relief road, where is that. Smacks of double standards to me.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

General Election on 10:36 - Jun 2 with 1125 viewsonehunglow

General Election on 08:35 - Jun 2 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Hormonal and irrational creatures I’ve heard!

Believe the Kiwis were the first to allow them out from the kitchen
Manifestos ?
Who needs them when family tradition and peer pressure tells you for whom to vote .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

General Election on 11:38 - Jun 2 with 1086 viewsJohnw102

General Election on 08:33 - Jun 2 by Boundy

I went into the local Labour Party Headquarters yesterday and asked for a copy of their Manifesto, the agent said I'm sorry we have sold out. I said I know you have, but I would still like to read the manifesto.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Login to get fewer ads

General Election on 19:49 - Jun 2 with 1010 viewsSullutaCreturned

People are stupid.

Well that's just wrong.

WE didn't vote them in, the people who voted labour voted them in and those of us who didn't vote for them (or not at all) aren't the stupid ones.

The stupid are those who read the manifesto, voted for them and THEN complained.

There's only afew on here defending the tory clusterfeck, there's a few who defend Welsh labour too.
From where I sit they are both a mess. and I didn't vote for either of them.
General Election on 20:38 - Jun 2 with 983 viewsScotia

General Election on 19:49 - Jun 2 by SullutaCreturned

Well that's just wrong.

WE didn't vote them in, the people who voted labour voted them in and those of us who didn't vote for them (or not at all) aren't the stupid ones.

The stupid are those who read the manifesto, voted for them and THEN complained.

There's only afew on here defending the tory clusterfeck, there's a few who defend Welsh labour too.
From where I sit they are both a mess. and I didn't vote for either of them.

I think people who didn't ( and don't) vote are stupid, and have no right to moan. I'd say the stupidest of all though are the died in the wool party loyalists.

Near enough 700,0000 people voted for a party with 20mph speed limits in their manifesto. But over a million people didn't vote at all. That's about 70% of the adult population of Wales -its our collective fault.

Welsh Labour are clearly a mess, but they're a mess with no opposition at present. I can only hope that an incoming Westminster Labour government have more influence over them and they improve (by ditching Gething).

Hopefully then we have a decent opposition, not some sort of extreme faction of deceitful nutcases. Our current crop of politicians make those of 25 years ago look like benevolent geniuses.
General Election on 20:49 - Jun 2 with 982 viewsDr_Winston

None of the politicians ever elected in Wales have been remotely capable.

This is the problem. If you're the sort of person who sees politics as a career, then you're going to be eyeing Westminster as your final destination. Cardiff, Edinburgh and Stormont will barely register. Thus, if you're not selected for the big job then ultimately even your own political party has deemed you to be second rate.

That's not even going into the reality that the salary vs expectation of Politics these days is more than enough to dissuade anyone capable of doing the job from running for it. Maybe 40 years ago an MP's wage was comparable to what could be earned in the private sector by any seriously competent individual, but those days are long gone.

General Election on 21:41 - Jun 2 with 961 viewsScotia

General Election on 20:49 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

None of the politicians ever elected in Wales have been remotely capable.

This is the problem. If you're the sort of person who sees politics as a career, then you're going to be eyeing Westminster as your final destination. Cardiff, Edinburgh and Stormont will barely register. Thus, if you're not selected for the big job then ultimately even your own political party has deemed you to be second rate.

That's not even going into the reality that the salary vs expectation of Politics these days is more than enough to dissuade anyone capable of doing the job from running for it. Maybe 40 years ago an MP's wage was comparable to what could be earned in the private sector by any seriously competent individual, but those days are long gone.

I think some have been decent, or at the very least well intentioned and try their best. Mainly those with previous careers and experience.

The worst are career politicians. They are dreadful.

Back when I was a student I used to work at election counts, some of the young party activists who attend as observers (and go on to become politicians) are just very odd.

Broad life experience should be essential to becoming elected, but that's up to those who vote.
General Election on 22:59 - Jun 2 with 917 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 21:41 - Jun 2 by Scotia

I think some have been decent, or at the very least well intentioned and try their best. Mainly those with previous careers and experience.

The worst are career politicians. They are dreadful.

Back when I was a student I used to work at election counts, some of the young party activists who attend as observers (and go on to become politicians) are just very odd.

Broad life experience should be essential to becoming elected, but that's up to those who vote.

I’ve also worked at election counts. As you say some of the party activists, (from my experience it was generally the Conservatives) were strange lacking the ability to engage with staff and officials.
General Election on 20:40 - Jun 3 with 783 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 20:38 - Jun 2 by Scotia

I think people who didn't ( and don't) vote are stupid, and have no right to moan. I'd say the stupidest of all though are the died in the wool party loyalists.

Near enough 700,0000 people voted for a party with 20mph speed limits in their manifesto. But over a million people didn't vote at all. That's about 70% of the adult population of Wales -its our collective fault.

Welsh Labour are clearly a mess, but they're a mess with no opposition at present. I can only hope that an incoming Westminster Labour government have more influence over them and they improve (by ditching Gething).

Hopefully then we have a decent opposition, not some sort of extreme faction of deceitful nutcases. Our current crop of politicians make those of 25 years ago look like benevolent geniuses.

Well around 444,000 voted for them with a 47% turnout. That's 444k out of roughly 2.4 million regstered voters which is what, about 20% give or take who voted Labour. So about 16% of the adult population voted for Labour.

My point stands, how is everybody stupid for voting for the party with 20mph in their manifesto when the vast majority of us didn't vote for them?

from your third paragraph on I entirely agree.
General Election on 21:26 - Jun 3 with 744 viewsbuilthjack

Labour are about 20 ahead at present

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

General Election on 23:04 - Jun 3 with 691 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 20:40 - Jun 3 by SullutaCreturned

Well around 444,000 voted for them with a 47% turnout. That's 444k out of roughly 2.4 million regstered voters which is what, about 20% give or take who voted Labour. So about 16% of the adult population voted for Labour.

My point stands, how is everybody stupid for voting for the party with 20mph in their manifesto when the vast majority of us didn't vote for them?

The 20 mph was a core part of the Labour manifesto, it could be argued that those who didn’t want the 20 mph brought in should have voted for a party opposing it. Voting Labour was tantamount to supporting their manifest commitments and not voting at all could be seen as acquiescing or indifference.

I knew the 20mph was there and didn’t vote Labour. I have no objection to a 20mph limit in some places, but not the way in which Lee Waters has introduced it.
General Election on 23:36 - Jun 3 with 673 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 21:26 - Jun 3 by builthjack

Labour are about 20 ahead at present

The Conservatives are currently imploding.

I’m genuinely surprised Sunak called the GE when he did as I thought he’d have held on a little longer, it will be interesting to hear the rationale and see what comes out in the wash when the GE is over. I get that older people ( likely to vote conservative are more likely to come out and vote on a summers day as opposed to an icy rainy November day and that inflation had edged down, but it’s not as though the feel good factor was ripping through the country. Has he called the GE because he knows there’s more bad news coming down the line? Based on what’s happening now, while it’s early days and it ain’t over till the fat lady signs it looks like Sunak’s advisors have messed up.
General Election on 00:12 - Jun 4 with 665 viewsDJack

General Election on 20:56 - Jun 1 by SullutaCreturned

But do we give them all bronze tipped ramming prow?

Is that a euphemism?!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

General Election on 08:09 - Jun 4 with 604 viewsScotia

General Election on 20:40 - Jun 3 by SullutaCreturned

Because it was also clearlry in Plaid Cymru's manifesto which about 225000 people voted for (Plaid and Welsh Labour are basically the same).

Anyone who voted for either party, or who didn't vote against them, either supported the 20mph speed limit, didn't care about it or took so little interest in the second most important election we can take part in Wales that they couldn't be bothered to participate.

That last point makes somebody pretty stupid in my book - especially if they then moan about the state of the country.

If everyone voted the parties would have to appeal to everyone and not just their hardcore support. Our politicians, partiesa nd government's would be compeltely different.
General Election on 08:46 - Jun 4 with 573 viewsjackrmee

General Election on 08:11 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

Can’t get any more stupid than all these oldies who continue to vote for the same party automatically.
Thickos voting labour or Tory these days are at the height of stupidity.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

General Election on 08:47 - Jun 4 with 571 viewsjackrmee

General Election on 08:59 - Jun 2 by Dr_Winston

Is there any point?
Isn’t a modern manifesto simply a set of lies that the party will promptly go back on as soon as they get elected?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

General Election on 17:26 - Jun 4 with 480 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 00:12 - Jun 4 by DJack

Is that a euphemism?!

No, ot's the front part of a trireme but whatever floats your boat
General Election on 17:33 - Jun 4 with 475 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 23:04 - Jun 3 by majorraglan

The 20 mph was a core part of the Labour manifesto, it could be argued that those who didn’t want the 20 mph brought in should have voted for a party opposing it. Voting Labour was tantamount to supporting their manifest commitments and not voting at all could be seen as acquiescing or indifference.

I knew the 20mph was there and didn’t vote Labour. I have no objection to a 20mph limit in some places, but not the way in which Lee Waters has introduced it.

i'm not sure that's how politics works, we vote for the party miost in line with what we want. Voting for Labour doesn't mean you wanted the 20mph limits. Lets face it, very many manifesto commitments never see the light of day after a GE.

I also have no objections to the 20 limits in the right places, it was makng it the default that bothered me because of the obvious extra costs in changing it back to 30 when exemptions were applied.

I voted for an independent local candidate at the GE and I voted Green in the Senedd election because they were who I most agreed with but I didn't agree with everything they wanted.
General Election on 11:41 - Jun 5 with 385 viewsWhiterockin

General Election on 23:04 - Jun 3 by majorraglan

It seems that manifesto pledges don't mean much unless it suits. So how are voters supposed to read a manifesto and judge what will be implemented and what will not. It throws the whole point of the 20mph manifesto pledge into question.

"Let’s be clear that what we’ve heard this afternoon is the abandonment of a manifesto commitment made by the Labour Party at the last election," said Mr Drakeford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy99jy1p3kpo

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

General Election on 12:03 - Jun 5 with 369 viewsScotia

General Election on 11:41 - Jun 5 by Whiterockin

It seems that manifesto pledges don't mean much unless it suits. So how are voters supposed to read a manifesto and judge what will be implemented and what will not. It throws the whole point of the 20mph manifesto pledge into question.

"Let’s be clear that what we’ve heard this afternoon is the abandonment of a manifesto commitment made by the Labour Party at the last election," said Mr Drakeford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy99jy1p3kpo

It's a fair point.

And why I think any change in leadership of the governing party (PM or FM) should trigger a general or senedd election, because inevitably there are policy changes associated with it.

Drakeford should never have led Welsh Labour in to the last Senedd election as he didn't intend to see his term through.

It's a matter of time until the 20mph speed limit is reviewed and an M4 relief road is back on the cards. Both Drakeford's stupid ideas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024