Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spurs stadium 18:19 - May 26 with 4019 viewsWatfordR

Went along for the Champions Cup rugby yesterday. First time at their new stadium, and a few thoughts/observations:

The stadium itself is absolutely awesome. Seating, atmosphere, food and drink outlets, merchandising outlets, facilities all top class and imho probably better than Wembley. Sold out stadium and none of the concourse felt in any way cramped or uncomfortable.

Draught beer options a little limited, Heineken or Neck Oil, obviously no Guinness was probably a bit of a glaring miss, but vodka bars, gin bars, whacking long bars to get your beer.

Food was a bit meh I thought, pies, sausage rolls, hot dogs, none of them much better than average really. Interestingly, the staff behind the counters probably not very much more inspiring than what we get at LR. I guess getting decent quality staff for one day every other week is as much a problem for them as us. But obviously a lot more of them yesterday, so maybe the quality of service depended a bit on who you got.

We are probably better placed for transport options to and away from the ground. WHL or Bruce Grove, otherwise it's a long walk to Tottenham Hale of Seven Sisters.

i don't know how long it took to get planning approval for the redevelopment of the stadium, but bang in the middle of a busy town centre, getting it done strikes me as quite an achievement.

Bottom line I suppose is that it's an excellent facility for making money; reputedly the club reckoned to clear a profit of £1m on each match day from hospitality when the stadium opened, and that figure must have increased by now. The stadium will have paid for itself within 10 years I'd imagine.
Spurs stadium on 18:41 - May 26 with 3517 views1MoreBrightonR

I went a couple years ago with a friend who's a season ticket holder. It's an amazing stadium with great facilities BUT call me an old man, I just don't associate something that nice with football. It's too nice, and all about a nice afternoon of entertainment, and that's not why I watch football. It reminded me of watching sports in the states, which I love, but it's purely for entertainment value and was a bit boring as a result. Hard to judge given I wasn't watching QPR too
Spurs stadium on 19:15 - May 26 with 3394 viewsstevec

No warm Carlsberg?

They haven’t lived.
Spurs stadium on 19:25 - May 26 with 3357 viewsdutch

Spurs stadium on 18:41 - May 26 by 1MoreBrightonR

I went a couple years ago with a friend who's a season ticket holder. It's an amazing stadium with great facilities BUT call me an old man, I just don't associate something that nice with football. It's too nice, and all about a nice afternoon of entertainment, and that's not why I watch football. It reminded me of watching sports in the states, which I love, but it's purely for entertainment value and was a bit boring as a result. Hard to judge given I wasn't watching QPR too

I agree about the 'nice' bit. I guess as QPR fans we love to wear a hair shirt, but I want a crowded grotty concourse, I like the smell of burgers and onions off a stall, I would like a little more leg room, but have no desire to be comfortable. when I watch a game, I like feeling hemmed in by fellow fans, feeling the atmosphere rather than feeling like I'm watching a game in an airport lounge. If I wanted to watch in comfort I would stay at home. An old school football ground is much more to my old school tastes.
Spurs stadium on 21:04 - May 26 with 3136 viewsMickB

A lot of the site was taken up by a very run down industrial estate. So relatively cheap to purchase.
Spurs stadium on 21:51 - May 26 with 3017 viewscharmr

Don’t forget the convenient fire.
Spurs stadium on 21:58 - May 26 with 3001 viewsTGRRRSSS

I went too. Thought the food was a cut above expensive yes but far better than most for not much less
Spurs stadium on 08:02 - May 27 with 2662 viewsPaddyhoops

30, 000 Leinster fans. And no Guinness ??
I hope they stocked up on the St Emillion for the French.
Spurs stadium on 09:26 - May 27 with 2514 viewseghamranger

They are currently building a 30 storey hotel there and will soon do a walkway between white hart lane station and the stadium itself.
They can have 18 other events there apart from PL matches. They obviously have rugby, NFL and concerts and women’s games and next year European matches, so including cup games it’s open once a week on average. They also have go karting under the stadium.
I work there now and again doing the road closure barriers there. Spurs fans are weird though, so many foreign fans that know nothing about the history

Can’t beat LR for atmosphere under the lights
Login to get fewer ads

Spurs stadium on 09:52 - May 27 with 2455 viewsWatford_Ranger

Nothing will ever match old-fashioned grounds but as new megastadia go it’s by far the best. It’s what the new Wembley should have been.
Spurs stadium on 09:57 - May 27 with 2444 viewsWatfordR

Spurs stadium on 09:26 - May 27 by eghamranger

They are currently building a 30 storey hotel there and will soon do a walkway between white hart lane station and the stadium itself.
They can have 18 other events there apart from PL matches. They obviously have rugby, NFL and concerts and women’s games and next year European matches, so including cup games it’s open once a week on average. They also have go karting under the stadium.
I work there now and again doing the road closure barriers there. Spurs fans are weird though, so many foreign fans that know nothing about the history

Anyone at LR for our last few games knows how special the atmosphere was. But on a practical level, atmosphere doesn't pay the bills.

I'm not for a minute suggesting we need a 60,000+ seater stadium, and obviously we need a site that would work for us, but it seems pretty clear that we do need a stadium that offers us much better than we currently have. Is it beyond the ability of a decent architect to come up with a new stadium that could combine the spirit and feel of LR with the practical financial requirements of a modern day multi purpose complex?
Spurs stadium on 10:59 - May 27 with 2347 viewswelwynranger

Spurs stadium on 09:26 - May 27 by eghamranger

" So many foreign fans".
My mate is a long time season ticket holder
He told me that a large section of fans nowadays are Korean, he szid thousands of them comd to see Son with their Korean flags etc and spend hundreds of poundd in merchandise.
It doesnt feel like his Spurs anymore
Spurs stadium on 11:10 - May 27 with 2321 viewsWatford_Ranger

Spurs stadium on 10:59 - May 27 by welwynranger

" So many foreign fans".
My mate is a long time season ticket holder
He told me that a large section of fans nowadays are Korean, he szid thousands of them comd to see Son with their Korean flags etc and spend hundreds of poundd in merchandise.
It doesnt feel like his Spurs anymore

Plenty of ST holders buying £30 tickets and flogging them on too I assume as there are loads of them in the away ends too now. I think at a home game at the big clubs you have to accept it’s a global game now (though disgraceful 99% of local residents are probably never setting foot in the ground). Maybe I’m old-fashioned but away matches should be sacred.
Spurs stadium on 11:12 - May 27 with 2312 viewsNorthLondonR

Spurs stadium on 21:04 - May 26 by MickB

A lot of the site was taken up by a very run down industrial estate. So relatively cheap to purchase.

Some call it arson and the deliberate burning down of a local business
Spurs stadium on 11:52 - May 27 with 2204 viewsderbyhoop

Spurs stadium on 09:57 - May 27 by WatfordR

Anyone at LR for our last few games knows how special the atmosphere was. But on a practical level, atmosphere doesn't pay the bills.

I'm not for a minute suggesting we need a 60,000+ seater stadium, and obviously we need a site that would work for us, but it seems pretty clear that we do need a stadium that offers us much better than we currently have. Is it beyond the ability of a decent architect to come up with a new stadium that could combine the spirit and feel of LR with the practical financial requirements of a modern day multi purpose complex?

Agreed. But 1st you need to find a suitable site. The footprint at LR is nowhere near big enough.. IMO, I think we need a new ground, min capacity 25k, with options to extend to 30k+

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Spurs stadium on 11:57 - May 27 with 2186 viewsTonto

Spurs stadium on 11:52 - May 27 by derbyhoop

Agreed. But 1st you need to find a suitable site. The footprint at LR is nowhere near big enough.. IMO, I think we need a new ground, min capacity 25k, with options to extend to 30k+

LR is a development site in the H&F planning framework but not the residential butss around the edge.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Spurs stadium on 12:28 - May 27 with 2143 viewsW4Hoop

When the NFL is in town I work getting sponsors and VIP fans to and from the new Spurs stadium. Even the Americans are impressed by the stadium. But getting from Park Lane to the industrial estate in N17 where the coaches park takes the shine off somewhat.
Spurs stadium on 14:22 - May 27 with 2007 viewsBoston

Spurs stadium on 12:28 - May 27 by W4Hoop

When the NFL is in town I work getting sponsors and VIP fans to and from the new Spurs stadium. Even the Americans are impressed by the stadium. But getting from Park Lane to the industrial estate in N17 where the coaches park takes the shine off somewhat.

We'll make sure the new Loftus Rd has a helipad.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Spurs stadium on 15:29 - May 27 with 1901 viewsDorse

Spurs stadium on 14:22 - May 27 by Boston

We'll make sure the new Loftus Rd has a helipad.

And a submarine dock. You know, for supervillains and that.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Spurs stadium on 15:59 - May 27 with 1835 viewshantssi

Spurs stadium on 15:29 - May 27 by Dorse

And a submarine dock. You know, for supervillains and that.

Or for when we dig down!
Spurs stadium on 17:49 - May 27 with 1707 viewsDavieQPR

Spurs stadium on 11:12 - May 27 by NorthLondonR

Some call it arson and the deliberate burning down of a local business

Plus Spurs somehow got Lammy onside and he gave out CPO's like confetti. Normally you cant build anything without improving transport links and parking. They were allowed to make it worse.
Spurs stadium on 17:56 - May 27 with 1685 viewsBoston

Spurs stadium on 15:59 - May 27 by hantssi

Or for when we dig down!

Don't be stupid, that's for our purpose built station on the Central Line.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Spurs stadium on 21:46 - May 29 with 1205 viewsNewBee

Spurs stadium on 12:28 - May 27 by W4Hoop

Apparently the regular football dressing rooms, which are top notch, are in one stand.

But for NFL, they've built an entirely separate set of dressing rooms in the stand opposite - NFL squads are so massive, not just players, but coaches, physios, analysts etc, that they would struggle to fit in the football dressing rooms.
Spurs stadium on 22:11 - May 29 with 1154 viewseastside_r

Looks a nice stadium. Unfortunately, often full of Spurs fans.
Spurs stadium on 22:25 - May 29 with 1108 viewsstowmarketrange

Spurs stadium on 21:46 - May 29 by NewBee

Apparently the regular football dressing rooms, which are top notch, are in one stand.

But for NFL, they've built an entirely separate set of dressing rooms in the stand opposite - NFL squads are so massive, not just players, but coaches, physios, analysts etc, that they would struggle to fit in the football dressing rooms.

I did the stadium you last summer and it was all very impressive.They were putting the stage together for guns n roses so we couldn’t get on the pitch but it was worth the money.
There is a tour guide there who is a qpr fan,but it was his day off on the day that I went.
I did have to mention how they stole our football league place over 100 years ago,but the guide wasn’t impressed.I’m not sure I’d do the walk above the stand though as it looks too high for me.
Spurs stadium on 22:27 - May 29 with 1099 viewsstainrods_elbow

Spurs stadium on 19:25 - May 26 by dutch

I agree about the 'nice' bit. I guess as QPR fans we love to wear a hair shirt, but I want a crowded grotty concourse, I like the smell of burgers and onions off a stall, I would like a little more leg room, but have no desire to be comfortable. when I watch a game, I like feeling hemmed in by fellow fans, feeling the atmosphere rather than feeling like I'm watching a game in an airport lounge. If I wanted to watch in comfort I would stay at home. An old school football ground is much more to my old school tastes.

Seconded - the cult of 'modernisation' is quite often a synonym for 'anaesthetisation'. What never gets analysed is the social engineering of people's expectations. If memory serves, I paid £1.50 or thereabouts to stand on the Loft in 1980/81 - less than a fiver in modern money. I'd roll back the years like a shot!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024