Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oriol Romeu 07:37 - May 29 with 1409 viewsPatfromPoole

This talk of signing ex-players like Lallana and Ings.

Both over the top.

Romeu played 28 games for Barca this season, so clearly still somewhere near his prime, even at 32.

He is absolutely one of the first players I would be looking for us to sign.

If we could tempt him to leave Barca, that is….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Oriol Romeu on 08:28 - May 29 with 1327 viewsSaintNick

Pat with respect do you check the facts before making claims, yesterday it was about bringing back Perraud who only started 2 games last season and played about 300 or so minutes of league football in total.

Today it is Oriol Romeu who yes is 32 but will turn 33 in September, yes he played 28 League games for Barcelona, but only 11 of them were starts and of them he completed 90 minutes just once, in total he played just 927 minutes in La Liga.

I was/am a big admirer of Oriol, but since the end of September he has been a bit part player at Barca.

If we brought him back would he get a game ? we have a plethora of central midfielders especially if we sign Flynn Downes.

There is a case for signing Adam Lallana as he would come in as a player coach, we are not looking to bring him in just for his playing skills, but I can't see where Oriol would fit in, I would love to be proved wrong

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Oriol Romeu on 08:28 - May 29 with 1327 viewssaintmark1976

If we had dispensed with the services of Ralph rather than Oriol at the start of the 22/23 season we wouldn’t have been relegated in the first place.

As for Lallana and Ings they are two injury prone has beens

.Both left us for money when it suited them. Personally, I would rather see us relegated from The Premiership again than see either of them in a Saints shirt once more.
Oriol Romeu on 08:36 - May 29 with 1307 viewsPatfromPoole

Oriol Romeu on 08:28 - May 29 by SaintNick

Pat with respect do you check the facts before making claims, yesterday it was about bringing back Perraud who only started 2 games last season and played about 300 or so minutes of league football in total.

Today it is Oriol Romeu who yes is 32 but will turn 33 in September, yes he played 28 League games for Barcelona, but only 11 of them were starts and of them he completed 90 minutes just once, in total he played just 927 minutes in La Liga.

I was/am a big admirer of Oriol, but since the end of September he has been a bit part player at Barca.

If we brought him back would he get a game ? we have a plethora of central midfielders especially if we sign Flynn Downes.

There is a case for signing Adam Lallana as he would come in as a player coach, we are not looking to bring him in just for his playing skills, but I can't see where Oriol would fit in, I would love to be proved wrong

Anybody who heard Flynn Downes at the car park bash on Monday would realise that we have next to no chance of signing him.

He wants to play for West Ham, and their new manager will want to see him in action.

Oriol Romeu on 08:43 - May 29 with 1298 viewsPatfromPoole

Again, as you were with Tella at Leverkusen (ignoring that they were top of the Bundesliga when quoting stats) you are a bit selective with facts.

You don’t mention that Nice finished 5th in Ligue 1, above Lyon and Marseille, and clearly no slouches.

Indeed, they were only one place and 4 points behind Lille, who you described as a huge club when they were laughably linked with Super Sekou.

Oriol Romeu on 09:19 - May 29 with 1253 viewsSaintNick

Oriol Romeu on 08:43 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

Again, as you were with Tella at Leverkusen (ignoring that they were top of the Bundesliga when quoting stats) you are a bit selective with facts.

You don’t mention that Nice finished 5th in Ligue 1, above Lyon and Marseille, and clearly no slouches.

Indeed, they were only one place and 4 points behind Lille, who you described as a huge club when they were laughably linked with Super Sekou.

Firstly i know nothing about European football, I have little interest in it, so I don't think I would have described Lille as a huge club.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make with Leverkusen, it was a good move for Tella in that they won the league, he played a part mainly as a sub.

So with Perraud it is not about the fact that he is a poor player it is about that he joined a club that finished 5th in Ligue 1 he was punching above his weight in joining them, so should have expected a season on the bench.

Oriol Romeu on 09:23 - May 29 with 1244 viewsNumber_58

Oriol Romeu on 08:36 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

Anybody who heard Flynn Downes at the car park bash on Monday would realise that we have next to no chance of signing him.

He wants to play for West Ham, and their new manager will want to see him in action.

I was at the car park bash and I didn't get the impression he wants to play for West Ham. I got the impression he was so pissed he didn't know where he was, let alone who he wants to play for.
Oriol Romeu on 09:24 - May 29 with 1240 viewssledger

If we are talking player coach its romeu every time
Oriol Romeu on 09:37 - May 29 with 1228 viewsPatfromPoole

Oriol Romeu on 09:23 - May 29 by Number_58

I was at the car park bash and I didn't get the impression he wants to play for West Ham. I got the impression he was so pissed he didn't know where he was, let alone who he wants to play for.

It’s when people are pissed that you start hearing their true feelings.

Did I imagine him chanting “IRONS”?

Login to get fewer ads

Oriol Romeu on 10:00 - May 29 with 1196 viewsNumber_58

Oriol Romeu on 09:37 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

So when the paralytic person at the office Xmas party says "I love you", do you believe them?
Oriol Romeu on 10:21 - May 29 with 1177 viewsPatfromPoole

Oriol Romeu on 10:00 - May 29 by Number_58

So when the paralytic person at the office Xmas party says "I love you", do you believe them?

Er........

As tangents go, that's up there......

Oriol Romeu on 10:25 - May 29 with 1173 viewsGRIM

Despite not playing much this season Perraud is still our player & he is a much better player than Manning.
Perraud didn't look out of place in Premier lge whereas Manning struggled in Championship.
I know which one I'd rather have.
Oriol Romeu on 10:58 - May 29 with 1134 viewsIfonly

There's no case for bringing Lallana in as player coach. He says himself that he doesn't even know if he wants to be a coach yet and he's only done some of the training. He says he wants to try it out and get a feel for it. Well he should be doing that on his own money not ours.

Even if he decides he wants to do it and gets his badges (i.e. his GCSEs) what evidence is there that he will be any good at it? Absolutely none at all.

If we want another coach we shouldn't be paying over the top wages. They're 2 a penny. If Lallana is going to contribute anything to the club this season, it can only be as a player and we know that will be very limited. He's a luxury we can't afford.
Oriol Romeu on 11:11 - May 29 with 1121 viewsSaintNick

Oriol Romeu on 10:58 - May 29 by Ifonly

There's no case for bringing Lallana in as player coach. He says himself that he doesn't even know if he wants to be a coach yet and he's only done some of the training. He says he wants to try it out and get a feel for it. Well he should be doing that on his own money not ours.

Even if he decides he wants to do it and gets his badges (i.e. his GCSEs) what evidence is there that he will be any good at it? Absolutely none at all.

If we want another coach we shouldn't be paying over the top wages. They're 2 a penny. If Lallana is going to contribute anything to the club this season, it can only be as a player and we know that will be very limited. He's a luxury we can't afford.

Why is there no case for bringing Lallana to the club in a coaching capacity ? he worked as the first team coach at Brighton for a few weeks after Graham Potter left, perhaps he isn't sure if coaching is for him but he is taking the initial steps.

You say there is no evidence he will be good at it, but what evidence is there that anyone will be good at it until they try it.

He seems to have been respected in the dressing room at Brighton and a senior and influential figure, if he comes to St Mary's he will have respect from the players for his acheivements, he can then help out with the coaching.

He will not be a senior coach, so in essence we are getting two for the price of one.

We need Premier League experience both on the pitch and off it

Oriol Romeu on 11:33 - May 29 with 1081 viewssaints__fan__73

What's the 'plethora' central MF players we have? We are very weak in this area.

We have:

Downes: Now back at West Ham. Looked good at Championship level but unproven at PL level
Smallbone: doesn't really look a PL level player
Aribo: looked poor in the PL, think he'll struggle again next season now we've moved up a level.
Charles: a bench warmer in tier 2.
Think we need two signings in this area in addition to Downes
[Post edited 29 May 11:35]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Oriol Romeu on 11:50 - May 29 with 1040 viewsIfonly

Oriol Romeu on 11:11 - May 29 by SaintNick

Why is there no case for bringing Lallana to the club in a coaching capacity ? he worked as the first team coach at Brighton for a few weeks after Graham Potter left, perhaps he isn't sure if coaching is for him but he is taking the initial steps.

You say there is no evidence he will be good at it, but what evidence is there that anyone will be good at it until they try it.

He seems to have been respected in the dressing room at Brighton and a senior and influential figure, if he comes to St Mary's he will have respect from the players for his acheivements, he can then help out with the coaching.

He will not be a senior coach, so in essence we are getting two for the price of one.

We need Premier League experience both on the pitch and off it

I agree we need experience, but this is not the way to get it. We will be paying him PL player type wages (i.e. £££) when we can get experienced coaches for far less. There are plenty of people out there with evidence to show that they are good coaches. What's more they would be committed to their careers whereas Lallana just wants to try it out and doesn't even know if he wants to do it yet.

We need to be careful with every penny we spend. Spending money on unproven coaches is the same mistake we've made, so many times, spending money on unproven players. We need proven ability at a decent price, not expensive gambles who are learning on the job.

Sadly, we're not getting 2 for the price of 1. It's more like: a third of a player plus schoolboy coaching skills for the price of a PL player. Not a good idea.
Oriol Romeu on 12:09 - May 29 with 1014 viewsTripleNiemi

Oriol Romeu on 10:58 - May 29 by Ifonly

Would prefer he stuck with advertising Nivea to be honest unless we are gonna get him on a pay as you play basis…..

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Oriol Romeu on 12:11 - May 29 with 1010 viewsSaintNick

Oriol Romeu on 11:50 - May 29 by Ifonly

I agree we need experience, but this is not the way to get it. We will be paying him PL player type wages (i.e. £££) when we can get experienced coaches for far less. There are plenty of people out there with evidence to show that they are good coaches. What's more they would be committed to their careers whereas Lallana just wants to try it out and doesn't even know if he wants to do it yet.

We need to be careful with every penny we spend. Spending money on unproven coaches is the same mistake we've made, so many times, spending money on unproven players. We need proven ability at a decent price, not expensive gambles who are learning on the job.

Sadly, we're not getting 2 for the price of 1. It's more like: a third of a player plus schoolboy coaching skills for the price of a PL player. Not a good idea.

How does anyone know whether Adam Lallana is a good coach or not, he has to start at the bottom rung.

What we do know is that he played a fair few games for Brighton last season, so can do a good job off the bench, at 36 he won't be commanding big wages now, so if we get him on a free and pay him say £20k a week, then his actual cost to us is going to be barely over a Million, a drop in the ocean.

Look at Vincent Kompany. in 2019 aged 33 he left Man City to join Anderlecht as player/ manager, it wasnt a success at first, so they tweaked it and the following season he became just manager, he didnt win anything at Anderlecht but still got the Burnley job and now it seems even after relegation going down with all hands, he is going to go to Bayern Munich.

As I started with, none of know what he will be like as a coach as we only see the surface, those who work in football see what is underneath.

Oriol Romeu on 12:22 - May 29 with 994 viewsBuggalugs

It's good to see the obsession our fans have for re-signing former players continues.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Oriol Romeu on 12:33 - May 29 with 975 viewsPatfromPoole

Oriol Romeu on 12:22 - May 29 by Buggalugs

It's good to see the obsession our fans have for re-signing former players continues.

I must have imagined Lallana being in the stands at Wembley, I guess.

Oriol Romeu on 12:54 - May 29 with 937 views1885_SFC

No to Oriol Romeu and no to Lallana. Thanks for your service to the club fellas but it's time to move on.

Old School is Cool

Oriol Romeu on 13:20 - May 29 with 902 viewsIfonly

Oriol Romeu on 12:11 - May 29 by SaintNick

How does anyone know whether Adam Lallana is a good coach or not, he has to start at the bottom rung.

What we do know is that he played a fair few games for Brighton last season, so can do a good job off the bench, at 36 he won't be commanding big wages now, so if we get him on a free and pay him say £20k a week, then his actual cost to us is going to be barely over a Million, a drop in the ocean.

Look at Vincent Kompany. in 2019 aged 33 he left Man City to join Anderlecht as player/ manager, it wasnt a success at first, so they tweaked it and the following season he became just manager, he didnt win anything at Anderlecht but still got the Burnley job and now it seems even after relegation going down with all hands, he is going to go to Bayern Munich.

As I started with, none of know what he will be like as a coach as we only see the surface, those who work in football see what is underneath.

- "How does anyone know whether Adam Lallana is a good coach or not". My point exactly. So, why the hell are we signing him as a coach? If we want a coach, we can get a proven good one without paying much.

- Lallana is on £90k a week at Brighton. I very much doubt he will sign for £20k. Walcott was reportedly on about £75k per week, I imagine Lallana will be in the same ballpark.

- What's this got to do with Vincent Kompany? There are far more ex-players who don't make it as coaches than those who do. There have been hundreds of high profile Saints players over the years. Very few have made it as coaches.
Oriol Romeu on 13:35 - May 29 with 880 viewsTripleNiemi

Oriol Romeu on 12:22 - May 29 by Buggalugs

Beggars belief…..

Surely his beloved Liverpool would offer him a job in the canteen or something?!?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Oriol Romeu on 13:59 - May 29 with 824 viewsSFC_Referee

Oriol Romeu on 09:37 - May 29 by PatfromPoole

Yeah but that’s when he was clearly taking the mick and said it as a wind up when we were singing about signing him up.
As I think he’s happy here, but is also happy at West Ham, which is why it’ll be down to how whoever the new West Ham manager is about him, which will decide if we get him or not. As hell want to be playing, and unless he gets that at West Ham then he’d probably wanna come back here, although if he can have that there then he won’t be coming back any time soon.
So most of its down to how the new West Ham a manger is

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

Oriol Romeu on 17:28 - May 29 with 734 viewssaint22

Oriol Romeu on 11:33 - May 29 by saints__fan__73

What's the 'plethora' central MF players we have? We are very weak in this area.

We have:

Downes: Now back at West Ham. Looked good at Championship level but unproven at PL level
Smallbone: doesn't really look a PL level player
Aribo: looked poor in the PL, think he'll struggle again next season now we've moved up a level.
Charles: a bench warmer in tier 2.
Think we need two signings in this area in addition to Downes
[Post edited 29 May 11:35]

Agree we have nowhere hear plethora of any players especially MF
We need two at least even if Downes stays
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024