Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life changing moments 16:34 - May 31 with 6083 viewsLogman

Anyone had any ? I haven't. Never got married or had kids so haven't had those honours/duties bestowed upon me. Never won the lottery and even when I inherited enough money to pay off the mortgage in '23 it hasn't made any difference to my life-style. Not really had any near death experiences (touch wood) or undergone any religious re-births. A few dim and distant bedroom sports sessions, 6 months living in Spain and solo voyages to the other side of the pond are about as exciting as it gets for me.

Behind the blue and white mask who are the Bob Champion/Robinson Crusoe/blokes with the Britain's Got Talent hard-luck stories on here ?
Life changing moments on 16:42 - May 31 with 3472 viewsSimonJames

Near death experiences: Many...
For example, I was in a small tunnel collapse when I was ten (in Canada). Fortunately I was near the mouth of the tunnel, so they were able to pull me out quickly.
When I was 14 I missed my connection, by about 5 minutes, to go on a sea fishing trip. The charter boat sunk and all on board were lost.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Life changing moments on 16:50 - May 31 with 3420 viewsWirralHoop

I don’t post on here very often and not sure this is exactly what you meant but the day I admitted I suffered depression was life changing for me.

Think worth saying as maybe it will help someone do similar if they need to.

Aside from that I was cursing the Docklands Light Railway I was late heading to the London Arena to watch The London Towers. A bomb had gone off if I’d been on time……….
[Post edited 31 May 21:06]
Life changing moments on 17:11 - May 31 with 3331 viewsdenhamhoop2

Heart attack New Years Day has changed my life completely made me realise just how precious our time is and we should try something that scares us a little every day and try to be kind to ourselves more. I am doing a Jazzercise class where the ratio is normally 22 to 30 women to 1 guy(Me) now if you had told me this time last year I would be doing anything like this I'd have looked at you like you have grown 2 heads. I have green stuff in my fridge yet again in the past that would have only been cheese that had been there too long.
I have even started to expect QPR to play like a professional football team most games and even learned to shrug off the Wednesday at home defeat without descending into a dark cloud
Life changing moments on 17:15 - May 31 with 3329 viewsJuzzie

When I was early teens, sitting outside in the nice weather preparing for my exams I decided to go inside and get a drink.

**crash!!**

A lump of window shelf masonry had fallen onto the table where I was sitting and came from quite a few floors up so could have easily killed me.
Thing is, at that age you don’t have the same sense of mortality so I just shrugged it off. Had it been now I’d probably be in therapy!!

I guess having my two kids are my real life changing moments. It really does change everything.
I have had people at work say they’re thinking of having kids but it won’t change them, they’ll still go down the pub, to restaurants etc and I just smile to myself knowing that ain’t gonna happen and I just say “if you still want to do all that, don’t have kids because you just won’t be able to!”
Life changing moments on 17:20 - May 31 with 3299 viewsLowerloftLad

My dad had a breakdown years ago now.

The day before: right at the end of my shift my friend comes racing across the shop floor to catch me before I left. He begged me to swap shifts, "Now I very rarely swapped shifts as I enjoy my early finishes". But just this once I agreed and swapped to the late shift.

Role on the following morning. My dad has no idea i had swapped shifts or that I was even at home, when I woke up that morning I had this strange urge to head towards the garden. I will spare the rest of details, But that shift swap ended up putting me in a situation that lead to me keeping my dad alive while I waited for the ambulance.
[Post edited 31 May 17:34]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Life changing moments on 17:50 - May 31 with 3203 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

When my Dad died at home and I was unable to save him, then being diagnosed with PTSD four years later.

Strangely, it made me a better person.
Life changing moments on 18:32 - May 31 with 3110 viewsBklynRanger

Life changing moments on 17:50 - May 31 by Wilkinswatercarrier

When my Dad died at home and I was unable to save him, then being diagnosed with PTSD four years later.

Strangely, it made me a better person.

I had the same experience, and have wondered quite a while later if I should have been. Sorry for your loss, WWC.

But the OP seems to have had quite a nicely peppered set of experiences if I may say so. Great question though. I suppose what's life changing is by definition a subjective thing - some amazing examples so far.

I was supposed to get up and go to the gym on 9/11, and failed, but that wouldn't have led to any more than quite a lot of running and dust. Was involved in a handful of controlled explosion situations like anyone from NI in the 80s, but again never felt really at risk. I do think sometimes these things affect you later on - I'd have a hard time finding you a properly sane friend from my childhood, but that could be any number of factors.

[Post edited 1 Jun 9:48]
Life changing moments on 20:30 - May 31 with 2965 viewsSpaceman_P

I'm about to, in 3 weeks my wife is expecting our first child.

My move to Spain 6 years ago, has been probably the biggest life changing moment, because I do miss the UK a lot and sometimes wish I was still there.

I am sure we all have these little moments that change our lives. for examples, meeting people. I think meeting one mate in my life, certainly changed my life for the positive.
Login to get fewer ads

Life changing moments on 20:38 - May 31 with 2924 viewsSonofpugwash

My mum being a Catholic convert thought it would be a jolly good idea to have a nun deliver her second child (me).Said nun dug her thumbs into my eye getting me out - my face apparently a mass of bruises ,I had to endure a number of operations and was blind for quite a while.The trauma never leaves you and I'm still affected by crippling claustrophobia.It's been kind of downhill since then.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Life changing moments on 21:14 - May 31 with 2865 viewsHoopstar

Sobriety for me.

Got sober in my mid-20s thankfully. Early 20s were a mess of drink and other substances, couldn't tell you how many near death experiences I may have had during endless blackouts. Few trips to psychiatric wards and a spell in rehab and had my last drink late December 2013.

In the twelve step fellowships since, life is profoundly different and love the life I get to live today.

If anyone is struggling with alcoholism or other addiction and wants to chat send me a DM in here.
Life changing moments on 21:48 - May 31 with 2785 viewsted_hendrix

Back In the late 60's I was In the Army In Western Germany, I was on a driving course with a few other Lads In a long wheelbase Land Rover, we were stationed In Celle.
We stopped the Land rover and the Instructor asked all of us If we wanted to visit Belsen concentration camp as It was nearby, It was a Fifty-Fifty split between us and I was In the No camp however the decision was taken to visit the place on the grounds that you didn't have to go In If you didn't want to.
We parked up and everyone of the Lads went In so I decided to do the same, bear In mind that we're late Teenage Lads with far too much attitude and ignorance, all we wanted as Squaddies was to get drunk at the weekends and fight with each other and chase Girls.
30 odd minutes later we all came out In dribs and drabs and got back In the Land Rover totally silent, not a word from any of us.
The Instructor asked us for our thoughts, but nobody said anything, there was something about the grounds In the concentration camp that although prominent wasn't glaringly obvious until the Instructor mentioned the awful eerie silence, for the camp to be In the middle of a forest one of the lads also noticed there were no birds flying over the camp.
As I mentioned earlier we were all young Lads (basically yobs) but In effect we were struck dumb by the horror of It all.

It took a while to leave me, but It's a day I'll never forget.

My two Lads being born and now Two Granddaughters

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Life changing moments on 21:51 - May 31 with 2777 viewsted_hendrix

Life changing moments on 21:14 - May 31 by Hoopstar

Sobriety for me.

Got sober in my mid-20s thankfully. Early 20s were a mess of drink and other substances, couldn't tell you how many near death experiences I may have had during endless blackouts. Few trips to psychiatric wards and a spell in rehab and had my last drink late December 2013.

In the twelve step fellowships since, life is profoundly different and love the life I get to live today.

If anyone is struggling with alcoholism or other addiction and wants to chat send me a DM in here.

Been sober since 1987, been bloody difficult but I'm pleased with myself and so you should be too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Life changing moments on 00:01 - Jun 1 with 2589 viewsFredManRave

Parents splitting up in an extremely acrimonious situation when I was 15 years old.

That was almost 40 years ago and has affected me on a daily basis since then...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Life changing moments on 00:05 - Jun 1 with 2576 viewsSydneyRs

Certainly can't compete with some of the examples here, but the decision to go backpacking in the mid 90s which was partly triggered by a long term relationship ending would be it for me. Its the reason I am now permanently in Australia having met my wife here.

And obviously when my two kids were born.

Also was very close to being hit by speeding cars on two occasions. One when a kid and another when about 19 and the driver decided to fly through a red light as I was crossing.

Oh and when I was born I had to be delivered with forceps because I was smothering. My mum said I came out blue, so I guess that was a pretty life changing moment even if I knew nothing about it.
[Post edited 1 Jun 0:11]
Life changing moments on 08:28 - Jun 1 with 2205 viewsSpaceman_P

Life changing moments on 00:01 - Jun 1 by FredManRave

Parents splitting up in an extremely acrimonious situation when I was 15 years old.

That was almost 40 years ago and has affected me on a daily basis since then...

I think as a society we don't really realise how much this screws people up.

I think also death of parents/kids, is also a terrible thing to go through, but to endure endless negativity from your parents and being in the middle has to be the worst for any kid.
Life changing moments on 08:53 - Jun 1 with 2159 viewsLoftgirl

Positive: Having my son. Moving to Australia 28 years ago.
Negative: Being sexually assaulted at 10 years old by the kiddie fiddler a few doors down, which was arranged by my Dad. I'm still dealing with it 62 years later.
Life changing moments on 08:57 - Jun 1 with 2152 viewsnix

Life changing moments on 08:28 - Jun 1 by Spaceman_P

I think as a society we don't really realise how much this screws people up.

I think also death of parents/kids, is also a terrible thing to go through, but to endure endless negativity from your parents and being in the middle has to be the worst for any kid.

My parents stayed together and most of the time argued with each other and took all of that out on me (being the youngest and home for most of the time and being less of what my parents wanted than my siblings). It's affected me hugely too and made me lack confidence for most of my life and get involved with the wrong kind of friends and partners because people not being nice to me seemed very familiar. Also I had no template for a loving, respectful relationship so wouldn't have recognised that if it had hit me on the head!

I think that's part of the reason I put up with many of the players being crap for longer than I should because I find it hard to see people being attacked (I know they probably don't read this - I really hope not - but it sometimes worries me). I think I have a natural propensity to back the underdog!

When some of you talk about lovely times you have had with your mum or your dad taking you to football I feel very touched by it but also rather envious and sad.

However I did start to see a therapist in my fifties and it's made a huge difference. I'm not saying it was a magic cure. I didn't walk into there and walk out six months later a new person. I've had to really work at changing bad habits and people who were bad for me bit by bit and I've got largely some lovely people around me now and I can generally spot a toxic person from ten paces. But for me it's taken years. So there is hope but it's not easy and is a lot of work and pain. I still struggle with believing I deserve nice things or am a good enough person - but then being a QPR fan which I fell into in my thirties after loving sport all my life - it seems a natural fit...

It's lovely to hear the sobriety stories as they're similarly life changing and a choice for a better life.

These threads are amazing and make it worth it being on the site over and above Clive's wonderful writing. It takes so much courage to admit what's happened to you in your past that's given you a lot of pain.
Life changing moments on 09:01 - Jun 1 with 2134 viewsnix

Life changing moments on 08:53 - Jun 1 by Loftgirl

Positive: Having my son. Moving to Australia 28 years ago.
Negative: Being sexually assaulted at 10 years old by the kiddie fiddler a few doors down, which was arranged by my Dad. I'm still dealing with it 62 years later.

It's hard to think of what to say to you Loftgirl but I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I hope you're getting the support you deserve.

How parents could not only not fiercely protect their kids but actively harm them just mystifies me. It's literally heartbreaking.
Life changing moments on 09:04 - Jun 1 with 2131 viewsR_from_afar

Many years ago, fed up with lads holidays to the same old places, I signed up for a group holiday to somewhere I really wanted to visit, Sicily.

The plum trip on that holiday was to Etna and although I wasn't relishing the journey to the crater - part of it was by jeep - I signed up.

However, the evening before, I foolishly got trashed and in spite of consuming loads of water in an attempt to avoid a monster hangover, I awoke the next morning to a baking hot day, a mouth like the bottom of a budgie's cage and - surprise surprise - a terrible hangover .

I agonised over whether to still go on the trip, concerned that everyone else would be going to Etna and I would be on my own all day, but in the end decided that I really wasn't up to going.

Eventually, I dragged myself out of my pit and made it to the pool. Thankfully, three other members of our tour group had also decided not to go to Etna, a couple and a woman on her own.

The single woman and I got on like a house on fire, started seeing each other after the holiday, even though she lived in Scotland and I was based in the Midlands, and we have now been together for 22 years .

Best of all, she is even willing to go to QPR games with me
[Post edited 1 Jun 9:47]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Life changing moments on 09:25 - Jun 1 with 2095 viewsGus_iom

OK, this may come across as playing to the crowd, but in my teens I was squatting, doing more and more drugs, squats getting dingier and dingier, but I got out of it....on an hourly basis....no I broke the cycle because I wanted to do something, and with the help of mates. And what I wanted to do is watch Rangers.
I was also forced to work on the community programme, which at the time, for me, was the WORST THING EVER, but which led to me getting a proper job, a bedsit, away games and a season ticket.
A life lesson...you're not going to break the cycle unless you want to. My drugs and squatting mate died in his teens, RIP Dave.
Life changing moments on 10:38 - Jun 1 with 1998 viewsKonk

Life changing moments on 17:20 - May 31 by LowerloftLad

My dad had a breakdown years ago now.

The day before: right at the end of my shift my friend comes racing across the shop floor to catch me before I left. He begged me to swap shifts, "Now I very rarely swapped shifts as I enjoy my early finishes". But just this once I agreed and swapped to the late shift.

Role on the following morning. My dad has no idea i had swapped shifts or that I was even at home, when I woke up that morning I had this strange urge to head towards the garden. I will spare the rest of details, But that shift swap ended up putting me in a situation that lead to me keeping my dad alive while I waited for the ambulance.
[Post edited 31 May 17:34]

That's incredible - proper 6th sense stuff. Hope your dad is doing okay now.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Life changing moments on 11:24 - Jun 1 with 1934 viewsDavieQPR

Having a younger wife and my first kid born when I was 49, second at 51 and third at 53. was rather life changing.
Life changing moments on 11:42 - Jun 1 with 1917 viewsBostonR

Being unexpectedly diagnosed in 2022 with stage 3 bowel cancer at 60. That stopped me “dead in my tracks”!
Trying to manage my emotions and constant doubts about my mortality certainly was a challenge. My family and I owe an amazing surgeon and his team my life. Almost two years on I remain cancer free but am subject to six-monthly follow ups until 2027.
I’ve also made a number of lifestyle changes around alcohol and diet. I enjoy life and have more I want to do.
Life changing moments on 14:06 - Jun 1 with 1770 viewsnumptydumpty

1)Realising my job is not my life and how far up the food chain determines whether I am a decent person or not. Moved from the corporate world of BS to working for support charities where being paid in monetary terms is less but being paid in ability to help others means life is a lot more enjoyable.

2]Parents passing during the first year of Covid restrictions - a mad time where life stood still for everyone - losing parents who was very close to both - whats the point of worrying about anything really. Life seems more simple despite the loss

Basically you re evaluate whats important !!!!
[Post edited 1 Jun 14:07]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Life changing moments on 15:56 - Jun 1 with 1633 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Life changing moments on 09:01 - Jun 1 by nix

It's hard to think of what to say to you Loftgirl but I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I hope you're getting the support you deserve.

How parents could not only not fiercely protect their kids but actively harm them just mystifies me. It's literally heartbreaking.

As always you find the right words Nix and while I am shocked and sickened like all LFW by your past incident Loftgirl I also hope you are getting the support and healing you deserve .
Sadly today the child adbuction/ molestation appears to be even a greater threat with the World Wide Web and the disgusting human beings involved in it .
As for my incidents I should have drowned 2 times once in a pool another when some friends fcuking around on a canoe trip flipped me over but both times I was rescued by girls who as usual were the voice of reason and reacted fast .
My worst was a fall from a platform on a construction site when it collasped under 2 of us and ended up on my back with my hair touching a pile of bricks which would have killed me or worse paralysed me for life with a broken neck . I still have neck issues but nothing like it could have been .
Good luck to everybody suffering or struggling with issues its a lonley place to be
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024