Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Chairman dropped Us In It... 17:41 - Jan 14 with 8301 viewsMattDalemon

..when he sacked Eyre. Results weren't brilliant but we were going in the right direction. The players were behind him and the team spirit was good despite all the ridiculous rumours. Today was as bad as anything in the last 20 years and we are only going in one direction.
To get in a manager whose only brief was to keep us in league 1 and then push the panic button after half a season was ridiculous. Beech is worse and hasn't got the backing of at least half the squad who are completely disillusioned with what has gone on.
League 2 here we come, probably by the end of February.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 00:01 - Jan 15 with 1535 viewsPDIDDY

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 17:57 - Jan 14 by judd

The chairman dropped us in it by appointing Eyre in the first place.

hill pointed dumpty in errrs direction i believe

Gissa job

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:53 - Jan 15 with 1447 viewsSuddenLad

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 00:01 - Jan 15 by PDIDDY

hill pointed dumpty in errrs direction i believe

No he didn't. Another urban myth.

Eyre came on the radar from the recommendation of a sports journalist. Or so the story goes......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:01 - Jan 15 with 1435 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:53 - Jan 15 by SuddenLad

Eyre came on the radar from the recommendation of a sports journalist. Or so the story goes......

I though Steve Eyre were as some fans would of quoted "The Messageboard Manager"

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 19:57 - Jan 15 with 1334 viewsPDIDDY

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:53 - Jan 15 by SuddenLad

thats even worse, mickey mouse club springs to mind, hack tells dumpty to take on errrr

Gissa job

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:10 - Jan 15 with 1331 viewsfitzochris

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 19:57 - Jan 15 by PDIDDY

thats even worse, mickey mouse club springs to mind, hack tells dumpty to take on errrr

Was it not that City-phile Cheeseman?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:14 - Jan 15 with 1326 viewsSuddenLad

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 19:57 - Jan 15 by PDIDDY

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but...............

I'm pretty sure from what's been said, that Eyre didn't actually apply for the Dale managers' job, but was effectively 'head-hunted' when his name was suggested in 'certain ears'.

To say his appointment was a mistake would be like saying Harold Shipman wasn't a very good doctor.

When we consider his (reported) payout, the long term financial effects could now be catastrophic, but we struggle and stumble on to the next managerial appointment, and then to who knows where.

I understand the original decision not to appoint 'a proven failure', to replace Hillcroft, but when we were told that some applicants were 'amazing' and 'of the highest calibre', it makes you wonder how the eventual decision ever came about.

I'd love to see the original list of applicants - if only to see who was ACTUALLY interested in the job.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:24 - Jan 15 with 1305 viewsColDale

when you consider financial implications, it's worth considering:
2011 - cash from Buckley, Lambert, Le Fondre, O'Grady, Wiseman, Done, Murray, Hillcroft
2010 - cash from Dawson + Buckley + Lambert
2009 - cash from Le Fondre
2008 - cash from Murray + Perkins
2006 - cash from Holt + Lambert

I think this Summer we may be hoping that there's enough funds left over in the bank from last Summer. We might get some funds if Soton get promoted, but not a substantial amount I reckon. We could be praying for some side to make a bid for Dawson.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:47 - Jan 15 with 1271 viewsMuggers

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:24 - Jan 15 by ColDale

when you consider financial implications, it's worth considering:
2011 - cash from Buckley, Lambert, Le Fondre, O'Grady, Wiseman, Done, Murray, Hillcroft
2010 - cash from Dawson + Buckley + Lambert
2009 - cash from Le Fondre
2008 - cash from Murray + Perkins
2006 - cash from Holt + Lambert

I think this Summer we may be hoping that there's enough funds left over in the bank from last Summer. We might get some funds if Soton get promoted, but not a substantial amount I reckon. We could be praying for some side to make a bid for Dawson.

Following Hill's resignation over 50 applications were received in the subsequent two days.

Ultimately, with hindsight, Steve Eyre's appointment was a dissaster; however I can see why the board went for him, a young enthusiastic manager who's footballing principles were attractive to a prospective employer and the appointment may have been perceived to be similar to Hill, four and a half years before.

Eyre had to be sacked. His recruitment was appalling and his tactics were not affective. Unfortunately, unlike in the summer, the quantum and quality of applications now has seriously reduced. From Beech's four games in charge, it's apparent that he is not the man for the job, although I have sympathy with the unsettled mishmash of short term loans and players contracted for 6 mths that he has inherited.

We now have a derth of quality applicants for the post and a caretaker who has proved to be unable to get the best out of this group of players.

I don't know what Dunphy et al should do, but expect us to be back in league two next August. It's imperative that the next appointment is the right man to get us organised and build momentum again, as all the good work that Hill did has now been undone, ultimately by a poor decision when replacing him.

It took us so long to get out of the bottom division. It's going to be a great shame that it's only taken two years to get back there.
Login to get fewer ads

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:01 - Jan 15 with 1248 viewsNotEyreClue

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 20:47 - Jan 15 by Muggers

Following Hill's resignation over 50 applications were received in the subsequent two days.

Ultimately, with hindsight, Steve Eyre's appointment was a dissaster; however I can see why the board went for him, a young enthusiastic manager who's footballing principles were attractive to a prospective employer and the appointment may have been perceived to be similar to Hill, four and a half years before.

Eyre had to be sacked. His recruitment was appalling and his tactics were not affective. Unfortunately, unlike in the summer, the quantum and quality of applications now has seriously reduced. From Beech's four games in charge, it's apparent that he is not the man for the job, although I have sympathy with the unsettled mishmash of short term loans and players contracted for 6 mths that he has inherited.

We now have a derth of quality applicants for the post and a caretaker who has proved to be unable to get the best out of this group of players.

I don't know what Dunphy et al should do, but expect us to be back in league two next August. It's imperative that the next appointment is the right man to get us organised and build momentum again, as all the good work that Hill did has now been undone, ultimately by a poor decision when replacing him.

It took us so long to get out of the bottom division. It's going to be a great shame that it's only taken two years to get back there.

I completely disagree with you on the appointment of Eyre. I can't even begin to fathom why the board went for somebody who didn't even apply for the job. I mean, it's not like he was an young inexperienced manager, he actually had zero experience in management. If Eyre had absolutely any confidence in his ability to manage a professional football team then why didn't he apply for the vacancy in the first place? The fact that Dunphy praised the quality of candidates and then proceeded to appoint someone who didn't even apply for the job (or have ANY experience in management) is nothing short of a disgrace.

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:10 - Jan 15 with 1233 viewsSuddenLad

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:01 - Jan 15 by NotEyreClue

I completely disagree with you on the appointment of Eyre. I can't even begin to fathom why the board went for somebody who didn't even apply for the job. I mean, it's not like he was an young inexperienced manager, he actually had zero experience in management. If Eyre had absolutely any confidence in his ability to manage a professional football team then why didn't he apply for the vacancy in the first place? The fact that Dunphy praised the quality of candidates and then proceeded to appoint someone who didn't even apply for the job (or have ANY experience in management) is nothing short of a disgrace.

Of course, you only refer to the decision to appoint Eyre as 'a disgrace' because it went t1ts up.

Had we been sailing in the upper echelons of League One, it would have been 'an inspired choice'

By any standards it was definitely an illogical choice, but it's a decision the club will need a long time to recover from, and ironically we are in a worse position now, than when he was sacked, so that raises questions as to whether getting rid of him was the right thing to do at the time.

All in all, we're in a mess, and there is no easy way out.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:13 - Jan 15 with 1224 viewsColDale

Eyre's name had been in the betting for the Bury and Stockport jobs, suggesting he was on the look out for a manager's job. He was too much of a leftfield choice to be listed without substance.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 22:01 - Jan 15 with 1185 viewsNotEyreClue

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:10 - Jan 15 by SuddenLad

Of course, you only refer to the decision to appoint Eyre as 'a disgrace' because it went t1ts up.

Had we been sailing in the upper echelons of League One, it would have been 'an inspired choice'

By any standards it was definitely an illogical choice, but it's a decision the club will need a long time to recover from, and ironically we are in a worse position now, than when he was sacked, so that raises questions as to whether getting rid of him was the right thing to do at the time.

All in all, we're in a mess, and there is no easy way out.

There was absolutely no way appointing Eyre would have ever worked. It was a disgrace pure and simple even without the benefit of hindsight.

We were firm favourites to go down as soon as Hill left and the departure of O'Grady confirmed this. We need(ed) an experienced head to finish 20th and that would have been/would be an achievement in itself. To expect that someone with no managerial experience could have steadied the ship whilst learning his trade was moronic at best.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 22:07 - Jan 15 with 1172 viewsNotEyreClue

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 21:13 - Jan 15 by ColDale

Eyre's name had been in the betting for the Bury and Stockport jobs, suggesting he was on the look out for a manager's job. He was too much of a leftfield choice to be listed without substance.

Peoples names get tossed about all over the place with regards to managerial vacancies. Kevin Keegan's name (amongst others) keeps cropping up for us but I'm closer to managing our club than he is. All it takes is for one person to mention a name to someone within the betting industry and one thing leads to another. I sincerely hope Eyre wasn't appointed on the basis that he was in the running for jobs vacancies similar to ours.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 08:34 - Jan 16 with 1106 viewsCedar_Room

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 22:07 - Jan 15 by NotEyreClue

Peoples names get tossed about all over the place with regards to managerial vacancies. Kevin Keegan's name (amongst others) keeps cropping up for us but I'm closer to managing our club than he is. All it takes is for one person to mention a name to someone within the betting industry and one thing leads to another. I sincerely hope Eyre wasn't appointed on the basis that he was in the running for jobs vacancies similar to ours.

from the always reliable sky sports http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11762_6636182,00.html

thing is, if Stockport didn't deem him good enough, why did we? I have to agree with your point that this was a terrible decision from word go. If we do get relegated, I feel the chariman has to shoulder a large portion of the blame.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 10:57 - Jan 16 with 1067 viewsD_Alien

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 08:34 - Jan 16 by Cedar_Room

from the always reliable sky sports http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11762_6636182,00.html

thing is, if Stockport didn't deem him good enough, why did we? I have to agree with your point that this was a terrible decision from word go. If we do get relegated, I feel the chariman has to shoulder a large portion of the blame.

All that report suggests is that Eyre was actually on the radar for clubs looking for a manager. The fact Stockport didn't appoint him doesn't necessarily mean " he wasn't good enough for them"

The only fact we know is that our chairman took what he (and many of us) considered to be a calculated risk. It failed, but then any other appointment might equally have failed.

Time to move on from this - I personally attach no blame to CD at all for what happened during the summer, but it's important he acts decisively in the next 7 days

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:12 - Jan 16 with 1040 viewsCedar_Room

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 10:57 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

All that report suggests is that Eyre was actually on the radar for clubs looking for a manager. The fact Stockport didn't appoint him doesn't necessarily mean " he wasn't good enough for them"

The only fact we know is that our chairman took what he (and many of us) considered to be a calculated risk. It failed, but then any other appointment might equally have failed.

Time to move on from this - I personally attach no blame to CD at all for what happened during the summer, but it's important he acts decisively in the next 7 days

well I think its very generous that you attach no blame to him, because Eyre was just about the biggest risk he could have taken in appointing a new manager. This season was always going to be more difficult than last - even with Hill in charge once the momentum of promotion has worn off second season in a higher division is always harder work. Letting Hill go was always going to mean our best players were likely to leave too - either to follow him or to say the reason for being at our club had left. What we absolutely did not need was a manager with no experience at all of league football - not as a player, not as an assistant or even a physio. Eyre was the wrong choice and it was clear to see at the time. I don't feel like this is a case of saying "well he looked like a good appointment but it just didn't work out" for me it was clear to see AT THE TIME this was the wrong avenue to take. Of course a different appointment could have also seen us in the same position, but a different appointment would probably have other factors making them a significantly lower risk. If he calculated that it was a risk worth taking to appoint Eyre then I'm afriad his judgement is seriously up for inspection. It was naiive from the chairman to think lightning could strike twice with the appointment of an inexperienced youth coach. I'm sure I'm not the only one with serious concerns about how bad an appointment this may turn out to be.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:17 - Jan 16 with 1024 viewsjudd

Was it the Chairman's appointment solely, or did he involve the rest of the Board?

How is a manager appointed at Rochdale?

Who were the other candidates?

What deal did Eyre get?

What about severance?

How can we afford/not afford blah blah fookin' blah?

It will only come out in time, probably at the next AGM.

Poll: What is it to be then?

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:02 - Jan 16 with 1002 viewsD_Alien

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 11:12 - Jan 16 by Cedar_Room

well I think its very generous that you attach no blame to him, because Eyre was just about the biggest risk he could have taken in appointing a new manager. This season was always going to be more difficult than last - even with Hill in charge once the momentum of promotion has worn off second season in a higher division is always harder work. Letting Hill go was always going to mean our best players were likely to leave too - either to follow him or to say the reason for being at our club had left. What we absolutely did not need was a manager with no experience at all of league football - not as a player, not as an assistant or even a physio. Eyre was the wrong choice and it was clear to see at the time. I don't feel like this is a case of saying "well he looked like a good appointment but it just didn't work out" for me it was clear to see AT THE TIME this was the wrong avenue to take. Of course a different appointment could have also seen us in the same position, but a different appointment would probably have other factors making them a significantly lower risk. If he calculated that it was a risk worth taking to appoint Eyre then I'm afriad his judgement is seriously up for inspection. It was naiive from the chairman to think lightning could strike twice with the appointment of an inexperienced youth coach. I'm sure I'm not the only one with serious concerns about how bad an appointment this may turn out to be.

The criteria he used on appointing Eyre were (approx):

- youngish man with enthusiasm, hungry for success and not tainted with previous failures

- good reputation in the game

- able to develop young players into assets for sale to maintain the ethos set in train by Hillcroft

Steve Eyre met all those criteria, just ahead of Chris Beech

No failure whatsoever in the appointment, just bad luck with the actual candidate

Different criteria apply now

*Edit - I've just seen your lengthy reply on another thread, but not going to read it. Just read the above (its brief)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:04 - Jan 16 with 993 viewsTomRAFC

just becuase things are doing badly under beech does not mean we should have kept steve eyre

our squad reads well on paper and we need an experienced head

iain dowie or kevin blackwell would be ideal

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:13 - Jan 16 with 984 viewsCedar_Room

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:02 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

The criteria he used on appointing Eyre were (approx):

- youngish man with enthusiasm, hungry for success and not tainted with previous failures

- good reputation in the game

- able to develop young players into assets for sale to maintain the ethos set in train by Hillcroft

Steve Eyre met all those criteria, just ahead of Chris Beech

No failure whatsoever in the appointment, just bad luck with the actual candidate

Different criteria apply now

*Edit - I've just seen your lengthy reply on another thread, but not going to read it. Just read the above (its brief)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

well I'm glad you know what criteria the chairman used to appoint the manager (I presume you are on the board? If not your speculating just as much as I am). if this is the criteria used, then I would add:

- reputation in the game was confined only to Man City. He had no reputation outside of that. Which feeds into the second point
- how can he FIND the players to be developed with no experience? Surely in order to develop players he needs to know who they are. Players also need to be attracted to him, via his reputation. In effect this only worked for those who had previously worked with him at Man City, and they turned out to be rather a mixed bunch.

I think if indeed this was the criteria used, its fair enough to say he doesn't want any previous failures, but that doesn't mean we discount anyone with EXPERIENCE. If the whole issue of experience was disregarded by Dunphy, then I'm afraid that points back to his judgement. IMO experience should have been the key ingredient, because it made the second two of your points easier to achieve.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:23 - Jan 16 with 975 viewsD_Alien

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:13 - Jan 16 by Cedar_Room

well I'm glad you know what criteria the chairman used to appoint the manager (I presume you are on the board? If not your speculating just as much as I am). if this is the criteria used, then I would add:

- reputation in the game was confined only to Man City. He had no reputation outside of that. Which feeds into the second point
- how can he FIND the players to be developed with no experience? Surely in order to develop players he needs to know who they are. Players also need to be attracted to him, via his reputation. In effect this only worked for those who had previously worked with him at Man City, and they turned out to be rather a mixed bunch.

I think if indeed this was the criteria used, its fair enough to say he doesn't want any previous failures, but that doesn't mean we discount anyone with EXPERIENCE. If the whole issue of experience was disregarded by Dunphy, then I'm afraid that points back to his judgement. IMO experience should have been the key ingredient, because it made the second two of your points easier to achieve.

And I presume you were on the interview panel? To confirm that Steve Eyre didn't make a convincing case that he had the necessary contacts? I'd take Chris Dunphy's word on that over yours, any day of the week

On the subject of EXPERIENCE - do you seriously think this wasn't on the agenda when CD sat down with his fellow board members? Of course, any board is going to have a variety of views (that's what they're there for, not to be Yes Men) but in the end they went for Steve Eyre because he made a convincing case that he had the right stuff for the task of taking Dale forward. I attended the fans forum and listening to him talk was indeed very convincing, and I've been involved in the appointment of people to managerial positions in a major public service

To be frank, all you're doing is crying over spilt milk, and its not helping. So lets move on, sadder and wiser, as I'm sure CD is right now.

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:31 - Jan 16 with 965 viewsKenBoon

If people don't rate Joe Thompson then fine, but why do they need to treat him like scum when they're at matches? The things they shout at him is a disgrace. I'm ashamed of them as fans. They make me sick.

Also he's barely played this season and was nowhere near our worst player on Saturday. We were losing 1-0 when he went off. We ended up losing the game 5-1.

He's a scapegoat. Also the muppets who were heckling the goalkeeper - one of our better players by the end of the game. All your wacky banter really helped the team. Go the whole hog and go on Soccer AM as fans of the week. If you can't be original then be quiet like you are when the lads need support. It seems 90% of our support only open their gobs to say negative things. Quite how our gates don't go up when we're shite I don't know.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:34 - Jan 16 with 961 viewsCedar_Room

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:23 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

And I presume you were on the interview panel? To confirm that Steve Eyre didn't make a convincing case that he had the necessary contacts? I'd take Chris Dunphy's word on that over yours, any day of the week

On the subject of EXPERIENCE - do you seriously think this wasn't on the agenda when CD sat down with his fellow board members? Of course, any board is going to have a variety of views (that's what they're there for, not to be Yes Men) but in the end they went for Steve Eyre because he made a convincing case that he had the right stuff for the task of taking Dale forward. I attended the fans forum and listening to him talk was indeed very convincing, and I've been involved in the appointment of people to managerial positions in a major public service

To be frank, all you're doing is crying over spilt milk, and its not helping. So lets move on, sadder and wiser, as I'm sure CD is right now.

if experience was on the agenda for a new manager, but was simply ignored at the time of appointment, then that again raises the issue of judgement. These sorts of decisions directly affect the here and now, and the future of the club. I consider them to still have relevance, even if you don't.
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:43 - Jan 16 with 934 viewsSandyman

We feel 'dropped in it' in terms of results, and yes, it IS a results business, but without the likes of Chris Dunphy, we could be...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16552806.stm

That we are not is a testament to the responisbility they take as directors.

IMHO an we now experienced manager with the brief to keep us up with a fight. Do that and a 12 month rolling contract follows. But I'm not a director
The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:54 - Jan 16 with 912 viewsD_Alien

The Chairman dropped Us In It... on 12:34 - Jan 16 by Cedar_Room

if experience was on the agenda for a new manager, but was simply ignored at the time of appointment, then that again raises the issue of judgement. These sorts of decisions directly affect the here and now, and the future of the club. I consider them to still have relevance, even if you don't.

Now you're just being petulant, and slightly immature

I said in my first reply to you that "different criteria apply now"

Let's at least have an adult debate (although I still consider it futile - we have to deal with things as they stand)

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024