Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale's early tv appearances 09:34 - Feb 20 with 7624 viewsDale57

One for the older generation here.Can anyone remember the first time they watched highlights on tv of a Dale game.I know Dale v Coventry was shown and i remember a tuesday night match (i think) when we played Luton away.The camera was behind the goal and our big Reg blasted one over the bar,think we lost 1-0 not sure though.Anyone have any earlier recollections ?
Dale's early tv appearances on 10:41 - Feb 20 with 6129 viewssandylaner

We were the main match on 'the kick off match' or whatever it was called, when it used to be broadcast on a Sunday. We played Chesterfield at home and lost 1 -2 in the old 3rd division, can't remember exactly but would have been early 70's.

My dad wouldn't let us go to the game because as he used to work for Freddie Ratcliffes spring company he knew Granada were televising the game & said I could watch it on telly on Sunday.

Also remember we were the 2nd match on kick off once away to Colchester we got hammered, maybe 5 - 0 that was probably during the era where we didn't win away for years!
Dale's early tv appearances on 10:49 - Feb 20 with 6111 viewsTVOS1907

Which Dale v Coventry game do you mean?

The Luton game was at Kenilworth Road on Saturday 22nd November 1969, the home side winning 2-0.

Brief footage exists of our 4-1 win at Bradford Park Avenue in January 1969, while the home game against Chesterfield in November 1972 was shown on Kick-Off.

The famous 3-0 win at Barnsley in April 1979 was also shown on the Sunday afternoon highlights. (Barnsley should have picked Bobby Hassell instead of Wiseman for that one).

There is some footage of the League Cup Final on YouTube, as well as a 4-1 defeat at Swindon in January 1983.

The FA Cup tie at Gretna in November 1991 was one of the main games on Match of the Day that night.

There are probably several others that were shown on regional TV as well, but those are the highlights I can think of off the top of my head.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale's early tv appearances on 11:44 - Feb 20 with 6069 viewsDale57

Was we not on against Shrewsbury at home in the 70s,i can remember wearing a bright yellow jumper and standing near the corner flag so i could see myself,lol...It could have been the Chesterfield one but Shrewsbury springs to mind.
Dale's early tv appearances on 11:46 - Feb 20 with 6064 viewsDale57

Dale's early tv appearances on 10:49 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

The Luton game was at Kenilworth Road on Saturday 22nd November 1969, the home side winning 2-0.

Brief footage exists of our 4-1 win at Bradford Park Avenue in January 1969, while the home game against Chesterfield in November 1972 was shown on Kick-Off.

The famous 3-0 win at Barnsley in April 1979 was also shown on the Sunday afternoon highlights. (Barnsley should have picked Bobby Hassell instead of Wiseman for that one).

There is some footage of the League Cup Final on YouTube, as well as a 4-1 defeat at Swindon in January 1983.

The FA Cup tie at Gretna in November 1991 was one of the main games on Match of the Day that night.

There are probably several others that were shown on regional TV as well, but those are the highlights I can think of off the top of my head.

F A cup tie 71/72
Dale's early tv appearances on 12:35 - Feb 20 with 6010 viewsfermin

I would love to see the Barnsley game if anyone could put it on Youtube.

That game took place in my early Dale-supporting years and living down south I had never seen a Dale game and even had no idea what any of our players looked like. When I saw in the Sunday paper that this was the highlighted game from Yorkshire TV and hence could be shown on 'The Big Match' at lunchtime I was ecstatic. Unfortunately they chose not to show that particular game, so I was very disappointed. Still waiting to see it! All I have is a newspaper photo of the game.
Dale's early tv appearances on 12:44 - Feb 20 with 6000 viewsTVOS1907

Dale's early tv appearances on 11:46 - Feb 20 by Dale57

F A cup tie 71/72

The FA Cup tie was 70/71.

If there is footage of that game somewhere, it's never emerged.

Dale's early tv appearances on 12:45 - Feb 20 with 5997 viewsTVOS1907

Dale's early tv appearances on 12:35 - Feb 20 by fermin

I would love to see the Barnsley game if anyone could put it on Youtube.

That game took place in my early Dale-supporting years and living down south I had never seen a Dale game and even had no idea what any of our players looked like. When I saw in the Sunday paper that this was the highlighted game from Yorkshire TV and hence could be shown on 'The Big Match' at lunchtime I was ecstatic. Unfortunately they chose not to show that particular game, so I was very disappointed. Still waiting to see it! All I have is a newspaper photo of the game.

Is that photo scannable (?), fermin?

I've looked for the game on YouTube before, but to no avail.

It might be worth emailing Yorkshire TV to see if they still have it.

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:22 - Feb 20 with 5908 viewsD_Alien

Dale's early tv appearances on 12:44 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

The FA Cup tie was 70/71.

If there is footage of that game somewhere, it's never emerged.

Unlikely to be available now, it was part of a local evening news bulletin (the same evening) presented by... Stuart Hall

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:36 - Feb 20 with 5897 viewsSuddenLad

Some Dale highlights were shown on Match of the Day when playing against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. Alec Stock was manager of Luton at the time, so that must have been about 1968/69.

From memory, I think we lost 2 - 0. No doubt someone will be able to put a more specific date on it.

I think we also featured in a programme called 'Man Alive' when we were playing away at Bradford Park Avenue. I think we won that one 4-1 but it was possibly slightly earlier than the Luton game.

Back in the days of Yelloway to away matches !!

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:50 - Feb 20 with 5878 viewsTVOS1907

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:36 - Feb 20 by SuddenLad

Some Dale highlights were shown on Match of the Day when playing against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. Alec Stock was manager of Luton at the time, so that must have been about 1968/69.

From memory, I think we lost 2 - 0. No doubt someone will be able to put a more specific date on it.

I think we also featured in a programme called 'Man Alive' when we were playing away at Bradford Park Avenue. I think we won that one 4-1 but it was possibly slightly earlier than the Luton game.

Back in the days of Yelloway to away matches !!

I've mentioned those games further up, SL.

One of the goals from the BPA game was shown on that Late Kick-Off thing the BBC have done in recent years (but not this year). It was on just before we gained promotion v Northampton, I seem to remember.

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:53 - Feb 20 with 5876 viewsSuddenLad

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:50 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

I've mentioned those games further up, SL.

One of the goals from the BPA game was shown on that Late Kick-Off thing the BBC have done in recent years (but not this year). It was on just before we gained promotion v Northampton, I seem to remember.

Apologies for the repetition and I thought I had read them all . Must increase the tablets !

Dale's early tv appearances on 15:14 - Feb 20 with 5850 viewsarchdale

Our 3-2 victory at Plymouth in October 1969 was the featured game on Westward TV's (or whatever it was called) Sunday afternoon programme. It was interesting that in this game we conceded the first goal after only about 10 seconds without touching the ball.
Has there been an earlier goal against?
Dale's early tv appearances on 15:14 - Feb 20 with 5851 viewsTVOS1907

Dale's early tv appearances on 14:53 - Feb 20 by SuddenLad

Apologies for the repetition and I thought I had read them all . Must increase the tablets !

It's what's becoming known round these parts as a 'Big Kindo Moment'.

Dale's early tv appearances on 15:33 - Feb 20 with 5829 viewsSuddenLad

Dale's early tv appearances on 15:14 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

It's what's becoming known round these parts as a 'Big Kindo Moment'.

God forbid !

Dale's early tv appearances on 19:04 - Feb 20 with 5724 viewsBeechball

Thanks for the tip-off about the Swindon game TVOS. I'd never seen that before and it brought back some memories - Roy Greaves, Barry Wellings etc. Shame it showed decent players Eric Snookes and Bill Williams making errors ( and how clueless Chris Pearce was on crosses) but we were awful away then- I think we only managed 4 points away from home that season.

Was there ever any footage shown of the United game ?
Dale's early tv appearances on 19:08 - Feb 20 with 5719 viewsDale57

Dale's early tv appearances on 19:04 - Feb 20 by Beechball

Thanks for the tip-off about the Swindon game TVOS. I'd never seen that before and it brought back some memories - Roy Greaves, Barry Wellings etc. Shame it showed decent players Eric Snookes and Bill Williams making errors ( and how clueless Chris Pearce was on crosses) but we were awful away then- I think we only managed 4 points away from home that season.

Was there ever any footage shown of the United game ?

There was a video available of the United game but the sound was dubbed,probably because we made more noise than Manure fans.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Dale's early tv appearances on 19:34 - Feb 20 with 5692 viewsPerthDale

I do remember the Luton game on Match of the Day, where it was the top of the table clash (old Div 3). If we'd have got the victory we would have leap-frogged Luton to go top of the table. We lost 2-0, and a disastrous points haul from December and January ended the promotion attempt.

I was at the Chesterfield game on 25/11/72, and it didn't show the team or the club in the best light. The Dale had made a decent start to the season, and had been near the top early on (which is probably why Granada scheduled the game). The run had, however, been built upon a promotion-standard away form, but, sadly, the team had always struggled at Spotland. That home form really slumped in November. Three successive home fixtures saw us lose to Scunthorpe 2-0, Bangor City 2-1 in the cup, and then, on telly, 2-1 to Chesterfield. I remember it being a grey, drizzly day and the coverage just portrayed Spotland as a dour place to be. Dale went 2-0 down, scored one back, and then went (I thought) all out for the equaliser - the highlights, however, didn't really give the impression of a fight back (perhaps it was my young imagination).

As for the Coventry FA Cup coverage, this was from what I can only describe as some sort on cine-camera. IIRC it was mounted on a tripod and was operated by a guy from on top of the Main Stand tea-bar. I don't remember it being on the local TV news that night, but the footage did re-surface some years later when one of the local news programmes - Look North or Granada Reports - did a crisis report during one of the club's near collapses (ie. how did they go from this boom time to this slump). I have no idea who did the coverage, but they were also there for the next cup game v Colchester.
Dale's early tv appearances on 20:04 - Feb 20 with 5671 viewsfermin

Dale's early tv appearances on 12:45 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

Is that photo scannable (?), fermin?

I've looked for the game on YouTube before, but to no avail.

It might be worth emailing Yorkshire TV to see if they still have it.

I think I have sent it to you before, but here it is (hope the size is OK):

Dale's early tv appearances on 20:09 - Feb 20 with 5664 viewsmaybee

Another game that we featured on was against Newport County when they needed to win to go up, whilst we were our normal struggling selves.
The TV cameras from HTV were at the ground, and showed lengthy highlights on their midweek programme.

I seem to remember that we won the game, against all odds...scuppering the 800 or so Newport fans' hopes for a party.
Dale's early tv appearances on 21:17 - Feb 20 with 5638 viewsBartRowou

Dale's early tv appearances on 20:09 - Feb 20 by maybee

Another game that we featured on was against Newport County when they needed to win to go up, whilst we were our normal struggling selves.
The TV cameras from HTV were at the ground, and showed lengthy highlights on their midweek programme.

I seem to remember that we won the game, against all odds...scuppering the 800 or so Newport fans' hopes for a party.

We also featured on Granada Reports against Newport. It was the 3-0 win at Spotland when we were both pretty bobbins. I think out victory gave us a lot of daylight (Walling and Gavin 2?).

Bob Greaves might have introduced it and then may or may not have handed over to Fred Talbot who, as the Hudds video shows, was around at the time.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Dale's early tv appearances on 21:25 - Feb 20 with 5628 viewsBigKindo

Dale's early tv appearances on 15:33 - Feb 20 by SuddenLad

God forbid !

But this God will not forget.
Dale's early tv appearances on 21:31 - Feb 20 with 5617 viewsBigKindo

Ahem. Mrs BigKindo and I were at the Luton game. We played them off the park and hit the woodwork at least twice. The Luton fans enthused over the peformances of Parry and Ashworth, and commented how much better they were than the donkey they had signed from Halifax, a certain Chris Nicholl. After the game all agreed we had been robbed and one of the Luton Directors commented that football was a funny old game. I seem to recall his name was Eric Morcambe.
Dale's early tv appearances on 23:35 - Feb 20 with 5591 viewsmodelboydave

Dale's early tv appearances on 21:31 - Feb 20 by BigKindo

Ahem. Mrs BigKindo and I were at the Luton game. We played them off the park and hit the woodwork at least twice. The Luton fans enthused over the peformances of Parry and Ashworth, and commented how much better they were than the donkey they had signed from Halifax, a certain Chris Nicholl. After the game all agreed we had been robbed and one of the Luton Directors commented that football was a funny old game. I seem to recall his name was Eric Morcambe.

But have you still for the programme bigkindo?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/69-70-Luton-Town-v-Rochd

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Dale's early tv appearances on 00:15 - Feb 21 with 5576 viewsDiddyDave

Well I`m sure there was a camera at the second leg of the League Cup Final in 1962 and it came on the news,albeit very briefly. All they showed was the Norwich goal and a bit more. I can`t recall any cameras being at the first leg,but then again,the Football League wouldn`t allow any coverage in those days,the only game shown live was the Cup Final and the odd Wednesday afternoon international.
Dale's early tv appearances on 05:29 - Feb 21 with 5558 viewspioneer

Dale's early tv appearances on 19:34 - Feb 20 by PerthDale

I do remember the Luton game on Match of the Day, where it was the top of the table clash (old Div 3). If we'd have got the victory we would have leap-frogged Luton to go top of the table. We lost 2-0, and a disastrous points haul from December and January ended the promotion attempt.

I was at the Chesterfield game on 25/11/72, and it didn't show the team or the club in the best light. The Dale had made a decent start to the season, and had been near the top early on (which is probably why Granada scheduled the game). The run had, however, been built upon a promotion-standard away form, but, sadly, the team had always struggled at Spotland. That home form really slumped in November. Three successive home fixtures saw us lose to Scunthorpe 2-0, Bangor City 2-1 in the cup, and then, on telly, 2-1 to Chesterfield. I remember it being a grey, drizzly day and the coverage just portrayed Spotland as a dour place to be. Dale went 2-0 down, scored one back, and then went (I thought) all out for the equaliser - the highlights, however, didn't really give the impression of a fight back (perhaps it was my young imagination).

As for the Coventry FA Cup coverage, this was from what I can only describe as some sort on cine-camera. IIRC it was mounted on a tripod and was operated by a guy from on top of the Main Stand tea-bar. I don't remember it being on the local TV news that night, but the footage did re-surface some years later when one of the local news programmes - Look North or Granada Reports - did a crisis report during one of the club's near collapses (ie. how did they go from this boom time to this slump). I have no idea who did the coverage, but they were also there for the next cup game v Colchester.

I think we went into the Luton game on top after beating Mansfield in midweek.

Luton leapfrogged us to take top spot off us after 5 days on top.

We were top again in October 1972 - again for a few days only with Grimsby beating us at their place to knock us off.

They remain the highest placings we have achieved (alkthough we were also top of Div 3 north in the 1920s).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024