Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale Player highlights 13:32 - Mar 17 with 3155 viewsSalwaDale

Just watched the highlights on Dale player - some observations (I wasn't at the game):

1) Everyone said Thompson had an awful game but he actually seemed to be involved in the majority of our good bits.
2) Donnelly's superb running meant he had three very good chances.
3) Donnelly's finishing meant he missed them all.
4) Lovely footwork and pass from Grimes for our equaliser.
5) Edwards lucky not to be sent off for dragging O'Toole down.
6) O'Toole lucky not to be sent off for throttling Edwards
7) Watch the lack of effort from one of our midfielders to get back and defend when they got the third. Happy to pass his runner on and happy to stand with hands on hips on the edge of the area when the goal went in.

Maybe I'm being harsh on the last one but the reason we were so poor defensively under Coleman was that the midfield never seemed to chase back and help the defence, seemed to happen again. The sooner we get rid of the players who are brilliant in their own heads and replace them with players who'll put the work in, the better.

TBBT

Dale Player highlights on 13:34 - Mar 17 with 3138 viewssweetcorn

Agree with the last part.

Next season cannot come quick enough. Just hope we're starting it as a football league club.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Dale Player highlights on 13:41 - Mar 17 with 3114 viewsTVOS1907

Re. point 5, DY has a good photo of this incident, which shows O'Toole dragging Edwards down from in front of him, although TV evidence makes it look the other way round.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale Player highlights on 13:44 - Mar 17 with 3106 viewsSalwaDale

Dale Player highlights on 13:41 - Mar 17 by TVOS1907

Re. point 5, DY has a good photo of this incident, which shows O'Toole dragging Edwards down from in front of him, although TV evidence makes it look the other way round.

Edwards started it though, trying to push the Toole once he'd got past him. (He seems to do that particular move a lot)

TBBT

Dale Player highlights on 14:12 - Mar 17 with 3076 viewsTVOS1907

Dale Player highlights on 13:44 - Mar 17 by SalwaDale

Edwards started it though, trying to push the Toole once he'd got past him. (He seems to do that particular move a lot)

I haven't seen the incident due to traffic issues and not having Dale Player, so you may well be right.

Dale Player highlights on 14:13 - Mar 17 with 3073 viewsrichfoad32

Not had access to the highlights but my gut feeling at the time was Edwards dodged a bullet when he dragged down O'Toole......Thompson wasn't great, and I'm not one of those people who bashes on him for no reason. Far too many times in the second half the ball bobbled off his shin or under his foot for a throw in. Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt because the conditions were strength sapping and he hasn't played a lot of first team football this season.....The Donnelly/Grimes debate will always divide opinion. Nobody can deny the effort George puts in but in the position we're in we need goals and Grimes for all his sulky/don't care demeanor is more likely to provide them. I think George is ideal for the bench, bring him on if things need shaking up or if we're defending a lead, because he'll run his socks off.
Dale Player highlights on 14:35 - Mar 17 with 3030 viewsSuddenLad

Dale Player highlights on 14:13 - Mar 17 by richfoad32

Not had access to the highlights but my gut feeling at the time was Edwards dodged a bullet when he dragged down O'Toole......Thompson wasn't great, and I'm not one of those people who bashes on him for no reason. Far too many times in the second half the ball bobbled off his shin or under his foot for a throw in. Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt because the conditions were strength sapping and he hasn't played a lot of first team football this season.....The Donnelly/Grimes debate will always divide opinion. Nobody can deny the effort George puts in but in the position we're in we need goals and Grimes for all his sulky/don't care demeanor is more likely to provide them. I think George is ideal for the bench, bring him on if things need shaking up or if we're defending a lead, because he'll run his socks off.

.............................multiple post edit.....................
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale Player highlights on 14:40 - Mar 17 with 3024 viewsSuddenLad

...........................and again...............................

Dale Player highlights on 14:49 - Mar 17 with 3011 viewsSuddenLad

I see it this way - Donnelly is contracted for next season. He has a great work rate but isn't by any means the finished article. He WANTS to succeed and tries his heart out. Importantly, the team always gets 100% effort from him.

Grimes probably won't be here next season, appears not to give a flying shite, ambles about like he doesn't care (and always has done) so probably can't be arsed whether we retain league status or not. It won't affect him.

I'm not convinced that Grimes is a better starting option at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Dale Player highlights on 19:23 - Mar 17 with 2866 viewsD_Dale

For those without Daleplayer, brief Sky highlights at: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8573908/bristol-rovers-2-1-rochdale (I'm not sure who stood with hands on hips, as the OP mentions - Tutte?)
Dale Player highlights on 20:39 - Mar 17 with 2826 viewsSalwaDale

Dale Player highlights on 19:23 - Mar 17 by D_Dale

For those without Daleplayer, brief Sky highlights at: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8573908/bristol-rovers-2-1-rochdale (I'm not sure who stood with hands on hips, as the OP mentions - Tutte?)

Yes, and had he tracked the man nearest to him at the start he would have been inside the box for the rebound. May have made a difference, maybe not. One thing I do know is I'm fed up of seeing players not giving every ounce of their fitness. Having said that, maybe they are but they're just not fit enough.

TBBT

Dale Player highlights on 21:13 - Mar 17 with 2795 views442Dale

Tutte does pass him on, and Kennedy tracks the player's run to the point he's not involved. A lot depends on the tactics employed in midfield, maybe one is told to remain available to pick balls up on the edge of the box? There were also four defenders around the ball when it's fired in. That said, I'd prefer to see players continue to track back until danger is cleared too.

The Donnelly miss which hits the post is almost impossible to watch without thinking "how?"

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale Player highlights on 21:16 - Mar 17 with 2789 viewsSalwaDale

Dale Player highlights on 21:13 - Mar 17 by 442Dale

Tutte does pass him on, and Kennedy tracks the player's run to the point he's not involved. A lot depends on the tactics employed in midfield, maybe one is told to remain available to pick balls up on the edge of the box? There were also four defenders around the ball when it's fired in. That said, I'd prefer to see players continue to track back until danger is cleared too.

The Donnelly miss which hits the post is almost impossible to watch without thinking "how?"

Almost??

TBBT

Dale Player highlights on 21:24 - Mar 17 with 2777 viewsTVOS1907

Dale Player highlights on 21:13 - Mar 17 by 442Dale

My opinion on that incident at the time was that he didn't 'want' it enough, if you know what I mean.

He was slightly hesitant in attacking Grant's cross and that cost him a more positive touch.

Dale Player highlights on 21:28 - Mar 17 with 2772 viewsmacro

Dale Player highlights on 14:49 - Mar 17 by SuddenLad

I see it this way - Donnelly is contracted for next season. He has a great work rate but isn't by any means the finished article. He WANTS to succeed and tries his heart out. Importantly, the team always gets 100% effort from him.

Grimes probably won't be here next season, appears not to give a flying shite, ambles about like he doesn't care (and always has done) so probably can't be arsed whether we retain league status or not. It won't affect him.

I'm not convinced that Grimes is a better starting option at all.

They'd get 100% effort from me too but like gd effort isn't good enough
Dale Player highlights on 00:37 - Mar 18 with 2734 viewsSaxonDale

Dale Player highlights on 21:24 - Mar 17 by TVOS1907

My opinion on that incident at the time was that he didn't 'want' it enough, if you know what I mean.

He was slightly hesitant in attacking Grant's cross and that cost him a more positive touch.

Just seen DP highlights and would agree with that TVOS

Edit- In response to the OP

1) Thompson's touch did let him down on several occasions, having said that he was involved in many of our best chances. Also was fantastic in helping the team properly pass it out from the back and starting counter attacks.
2) Donnelly did work hard which resulted in some chances. However his poor decision making/ finishing cost the team hugely. I spent a good five minutes watching just Donnelly in the second half yesterday and unfortunately he just doesn't understand football. There are times when the ball is in the final third when he neither makes a run behind the defence or shows for the ball, instead simply standing in a position that benefits nobody.
3) Incredibly poor finishes as has been said
4) Grimes played very well on the right when he came on- Suspect that was because most of the play was being channelled through him which suits him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024