Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England u-21's 17:35 - Jun 8 with 8579 viewsDale_Pea

2-0 down vs Norway.

Piss poor, but what should we expect from a team managed by Stuart Pearce.

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

England u-21's on 12:38 - Jun 9 with 2144 viewsYorkshire_Dale

England u-21's on 10:50 - Jun 9 by D_Alien

I may be in a minority of one on this board, but I suspect our Craig (probably the best footballing defender I've ever seen at Dale) is just short of being top class - i.e. having that something that makes you an international defender, or a regular starter at premiership level, which at his age he should be doing by now.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something to do with speed of thought and getting into the right position based on that speed.

As I said, utterly brilliant for us in L2 & L1, great for Bolton in the championship, and will hopefully go on to make a decent career in the premiership; but not at the highest level.

Having said all that, having Pearce as your coach is one hell of an hindrance.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Can he be coached into "top class"??

Therein lies the problem and the solution?
England u-21's on 12:47 - Jun 9 with 2119 viewsBirchy915

The real truth behind all of this is simple, in the UK we are not efficient enough in how we play sports.
We play just about every sport there is in the UK, our sporting talent gets spread between Cricket, Rugby, Football, Tennis, Basketball and every other sport under the sun, I myself play Lacrosse.
The Germans are much the same, but where we differ is that in Germany, sporting participation is much higher, kids have to take part in sport while at school, they have much better facilities and they headhunt the talent early on just like we do in cycling.
Their sportsmen always have a very strong ethos and are generally more intelligent because they have been managed well, you rarely see Gazza-esque breakdowns in German sport.
If we want to become a footballing power again, we need to invest time, effort and money into youth development and school sports.
I think the only reason we have done as well as we have for so long is because of how much passion there is here for Football.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

England u-21's on 13:43 - Jun 9 with 2092 viewsDale_Pea

England u-21's on 12:29 - Jun 9 by BigDaveMyCock

There was an interesting, albeit guarded for obvious reasons, interview by Brendan Rogers in relation to Andy Carroll and whether he was going to keep him at Liverpool. I can't unfortunately find it now but it went something a long the lines of:-

It's not Andy Carroll's fault per se that he doesn't fit into my plans. It's more the case that if he plays then the rest of the players tend to resort to a certain pragmatic direct type of football that good teams find very easy to cope with these days.

It was as an acknowledgement that there is a tendancy to rush play in this country and get the ball upfield at the quickest opportunity possible often resulting in giving up possession too cheaply and being under constant pressure. The England national team's disease.

It was interesting that Rogers felt it necessary to get rid of a player like Carroll as part of a strategy to coach the team to play more possession football. He had to actively make it harder for the team to resort to direct play.

Whether he was right or wrong in relation to Carroll, there's something in it.

I know which interview you're referring to, and I can't find it either. But it made me like Rodgers more than I already did, he's clearly aware of the predictable style of play that is done at the top level in this country. The pass and move stuff is what should be beaten into our young players (not literally beaten).

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

England u-21's on 13:47 - Jun 9 with 2085 viewsAtThePeake

England u-21's on 04:49 - Jun 9 by olympicdale

Maybe, but to the detriment of the national team now.

Its no surprise its about money for them, its what the PL was built on.

The detriment of the national team you say?

We weren't exactly one of the best teams in the world before the Premier League either. We failed to qualify for 3 consecutive tournaments in the 70s, and also failed to qualify for the 94 World Cup, when the Premier League was in it's fledgling years and the foreign imports had only just started really. We've reached 4 Quarter final finishes in the last 11 years. History dictates that's about average/just above average for us...

Tangled up in blue.

England u-21's on 14:04 - Jun 9 with 2074 viewsColDale

The England national sides will never be a success whilst club football retains a higher priority than international football. I'd rather England continue to disappoint on the world stage rather than have that balance change. Its club before country every time.
England u-21's on 14:13 - Jun 9 with 2065 viewsBartRowou

England u-21's on 14:04 - Jun 9 by ColDale

The England national sides will never be a success whilst club football retains a higher priority than international football. I'd rather England continue to disappoint on the world stage rather than have that balance change. Its club before country every time.

Our football is now money-driven, not club-driven. That is the most important factor. Since Sky moved in, we've gradually lost the FA Cup, the European Cup (replaced by a bloated so-called "Champions League"), competition in the top-flight (witness Arsenal's humiliating celebrations at finishing fourth) and the England team. Before that, I'd say there was a balance between club and country and we were better for it.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

England u-21's on 14:24 - Jun 9 with 2052 viewssweetcorn

England u-21's on 23:12 - Jun 8 by olympicdale

There might be a similarity between the number of players playing in top half teams here and in the BL, but quality wise they're in a different world. I know I would rather have players like Max Kruse and Julian Draxler over Jack Rodwell and Kyle walker any day of the week, regardless of where their teams finished.

The fact that the top teams in this country would rather go out and buy a cheap foreigner to do the job of an up and coming englishman says it all about how the league has been allowed to be run by the powers that be.

Poster boy(s) for La Liga for the last few seasons, Lionel Messi (Argentina) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)

Poster boy for the premier league for the last few seasons, Wayne Rooney (English).

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

England u-21's on 22:20 - Jun 9 with 2004 viewsolympicdale

England u-21's on 14:24 - Jun 9 by sweetcorn

Poster boy(s) for La Liga for the last few seasons, Lionel Messi (Argentina) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)

Poster boy for the premier league for the last few seasons, Wayne Rooney (English).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22687663

For those lovers of stats, it was never in doubt.

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

England u-21's on 22:58 - Jun 9 with 1983 viewsroccydaleian

England u-21's on 10:30 - Jun 9 by electricblue

Reading an article the day after the italy defeat it mentioned pearces ideal starting 11 etc now that players are back incontention..
Dawson didnt make that 11 infact he wasnt on the bench...
Since Dawson as been in the u21 sq how many times as he banged in the goals that the strikers couldnt in those games!...
Also i like to think that Dawson played a hell of a part in the u21 qualification..
Sooner pearce goes the better i think, also its about time Roy called up Dawson for a few friendlies aswell.....

Where did you read that? It seems Dawson is first on Pearce's list, with all the games he's played under Pearce, or maybe you've made something up.... Wouldn't be the first time, would it.....
England u-21's on 23:13 - Jun 9 with 1969 viewsKenBoon

England u-21's on 22:20 - Jun 9 by olympicdale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22687663

For those lovers of stats, it was never in doubt.

None of those stats are particually great tbh.

The FA and Premier League are trying with that new scheme that'll rob us of our talented 16 year olds. But the problem of a glass ceiling or players being set up for life on their first professional contract will still exist.
England u-21's on 23:27 - Jun 9 with 1958 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

You can't blame the Premier League for a lack of young English talent coming through.

What you have to look at is the way youth football in England is run, how young footballers are coached.

It's no secret that until a few years ago, kids as young as eight or nine were playing 11 a side matches on full size pitches. Whereas in Spain (and I assume other countries) for the last 20, maybe 30 years they have had kids playing smaller sided games on smaller pitches, gradually increasing with age. This is something I believe we're now following and have been for at least the five years or so.

The old system just doesn't allow technical ability to develop or shine. You have to get the fundamentals right when they're young in order for them to have the best chance to make it when they're older. With or without the Premier League we'd still have been in the same predicament. There was a great point which someone made earlier, England were regularly even failing to qualify for tournaments before the PL came about.

The influx of foreign players may have stunted the emergence of English talent to some extent, but ask every club in the world and they'll tell you they'd rather develop their own homegrown talent than have to rely on young foreign imports. The fact is, sometimes the English talent they have to choose from just isn't good enough.

Hopefully in a few years we'll start to see some benefits of this new style of coaching, not just in the way these kids are brought up in football but through an influx of new coaches who aren't afraid to embrace ideas from abroad.

There are a lot of people that dislike the Premier League for a variety of reasons and I can understand why, but it can't be blamed for a lack of English talent. The majority of that blame goes to the way we've allowed to be overtaken by other countries in terms of youth development.
England u-21's on 08:49 - Jun 10 with 1905 viewselectricblue

England u-21's on 22:58 - Jun 9 by roccydaleian

Where did you read that? It seems Dawson is first on Pearce's list, with all the games he's played under Pearce, or maybe you've made something up.... Wouldn't be the first time, would it.....

Like i said its was something i had read day after the italy defeat....
One of these sports writers in a daily newspaper for your info...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

England u-21's on 16:21 - Jun 11 with 1807 viewsmacro

Dawson dropped for today's game
England u-21's on 16:32 - Jun 11 with 1796 viewsDaley_Lama

England u-21's on 16:21 - Jun 11 by macro

7 changes, Pearce giving others a run out as we're out of the comp.

Poll: DF in or out

England u-21's on 16:48 - Jun 11 with 1776 viewsToffeemanc

England u-21's on 16:32 - Jun 11 by Daley_Lama

7 changes, Pearce giving others a run out as we're out of the comp.

At least it will be Pearce's last run out as manager

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

England u-21's on 20:51 - Jun 11 with 1701 views442Dale

Congratulations to Mr Pearce again. His ridiculous squad numbering says it all.

Hopefully for the last time: the idiot.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

England u-21's on 22:36 - Jun 11 with 1653 viewsRAFCRuss

England u-21's on 16:21 - Jun 11 by macro

Dawson finishes as England's top tournament scorer wahey!
England u-21's on 09:32 - Jun 12 with 1541 viewsD_Alien

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22865904

Absolutely disgraceful that he should come out with this - even if there's any truth in it, it's no way to gain the confidence of players

If this doesn't gaurantee the sack, nothing will

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England u-21's on 09:46 - Jun 12 with 1529 viewsSuddenLad

Typical Pearce. It's how he was as a player. Verbally/physically passionate and aggressive, bit of a hot-head, but sometimes found wanting when the big occasions came round.

The problems at the England set-up, U-21 or the full National side need a radical shake up.

Pearce has his faults but the whole situation is flawed and whether or not Pearce remains in post, the job is made far more difficult than it should be by the unavailability of some of the better U-21 players. Bernstein thinks Pearce has and continues to 'do a good job' so perhaps there's the answer.

Let's hope that someone gets to grip and tries to sort out the mess because England will never win a thing, at any level, whilst the current system prevails.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

England u-21's on 12:21 - Jun 12 with 1471 viewsYorkshire_Dale

England u-21's on 09:32 - Jun 12 by D_Alien

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22865904

Absolutely disgraceful that he should come out with this - even if there's any truth in it, it's no way to gain the confidence of players

If this doesn't gaurantee the sack, nothing will

Soft Lad could have written that.
England u-21's on 12:45 - Jun 12 with 1464 viewsdingdangblue

So Dawson bows out of his U21 career with an astonishing 6 goals in 14 games ( Jermain Defoe got 7 in 23 games) and it could've been more with McEachran missing a penalty at Walsall that Dawson should've taken and his good goal chalked off v Italy. Hopefully now he can get some club games next season, whether it be at West Brom or elsewhere. And just to add regarding the media frenzy about England losing all 3 games and bowing out disappointingly - Pearce not being able to pick Oxlade Chamberlain,Jones,Wilshire and Welbeck? I'm not sure when they even last played for the U21's? The group of players at this Tournament is largely the group who qualified easily and went 10 games without conceding a goal. They've just not turned up for whatever reason?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England u-21's on 13:29 - Jun 12 with 1444 viewsKenBoon

If The FA don't want to sack Pearce, then just move him sidewards like Roy Hodgeson did. He can become an After-dinner speech trainer. That'd suit him right down to the ground.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024