Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Rochdale v Bury thread 11:40 - Jun 30 with 5333 viewsGambo

New to the board and as a Bury fan in Peace i would like to start a sensible debate

Simple question

Would you prefer the safe as houses approach of Rochdale in that you seem quite content spending 99 years of your 106 year History* (* might be wrong) in the bottom tier spending within your means and never having any or very little glamour.

or

Bury's boom and bust nature of spending beyond their means and having regular flirts with danger but having an adventure along the way with trophies and promotions thrown in ??

Not a Mickey take just a reasonable debate amongst neighbours of similar size but very different histories .

As an aside we all deserve a pat on the back for not going down the plastic route of false support .
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 11:48 - Jun 30 with 4223 views442Dale

You've answered it yourself in the third line.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 11:52 - Jun 30 with 4188 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Dale have played two of the past three seasons in league 1, played at Wembely and reached the play offs a couple of times in recent history.

This has been done by 'not cheating' and not ripping off innocent people who have sold there goods for a fair price and then been given a fraction of that cost in return.

So to answer your question, I would not swap our clubs ethics for the world, when those ethics began to be questioned with our previous manager in charge, we got shut! Any small success we achieve, is REAL and actually means something.

It will be interesting to see if Karma is about to bite bURY on the bum, with your property developers and Mr Administration running your club!

I love my club and by the amount of bURY fans who come on here, I think you guys do to!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:00 - Jun 30 with 4171 viewsGambo

Just a tentative talk was all that was required , A couple have already resorted to 'slagging' .

I'm probably in the safety approach first myself, in my youth Bury was run properly by gentlemen who held the pursesrtrings tightly like yourselves .

I went to the meeting on Wednesday night with an open mind and came away in the frame of mind that the new owners had a genuine love of football and wanted to run a club on sensibility ...not the boom and bust of the past 15 years , ultimately we all want a club to support in the League.
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:00 - Jun 30 with 4171 viewsgigger

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 11:52 - Jun 30 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Dale have played two of the past three seasons in league 1, played at Wembely and reached the play offs a couple of times in recent history.

This has been done by 'not cheating' and not ripping off innocent people who have sold there goods for a fair price and then been given a fraction of that cost in return.

So to answer your question, I would not swap our clubs ethics for the world, when those ethics began to be questioned with our previous manager in charge, we got shut! Any small success we achieve, is REAL and actually means something.

It will be interesting to see if Karma is about to bite bURY on the bum, with your property developers and Mr Administration running your club!

I love my club and by the amount of bURY fans who come on here, I think you guys do to!

I love Rochdale too!!!!!!
Amen to that brother or Allah Hakba whatever you say in them there hills.

What's happened to kel ???

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:06 - Jun 30 with 4158 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:00 - Jun 30 by Gambo

Just a tentative talk was all that was required , A couple have already resorted to 'slagging' .

I'm probably in the safety approach first myself, in my youth Bury was run properly by gentlemen who held the pursesrtrings tightly like yourselves .

I went to the meeting on Wednesday night with an open mind and came away in the frame of mind that the new owners had a genuine love of football and wanted to run a club on sensibility ...not the boom and bust of the past 15 years , ultimately we all want a club to support in the League.

There is a difference between telling the truth and 'slagging'.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:15 - Jun 30 with 4144 viewsIcelandDale

Developers spiel re Wednesday night meeting.

To paraphrase Mandy Rice Davies, "Well, they would say that wouldn't they?".

New owner speaks loud, says nothing.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:20 - Jun 30 with 4126 viewsStranglers

and to cut the boring thread short.
Who are your rivals?
Answer-BWFC.

So why post on here???

RIP-Wurzel

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:24 - Jun 30 with 4116 viewsChaffRAFC

Easy answer, our way. It's the right way to go about things, the bury way you have described is the wrong way to go about things and I believe that clubs that are stupid enough to go that route don't deserve success and deserve to go to the wall.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:29 - Jun 30 with 4103 viewsTVOS1907

How is 442's reply, "slagging"?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 12:51 - Jun 30 with 4061 viewsdale_spotland

I reckon Bury fans are possibly the only set of fans who would happily overspend and go into admin for a few promotions now and again. Most sets of fans would never accept administration as easily as you do as long as it gets you a bit of success. You lot really are one of a kind, in a bad way.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 13:17 - Jun 30 with 4014 viewsSuddenLad

"Very different histories" !!

You can say that again. Winning FA Cups under the reign of Queen Victoria, (1) before the Boer War finished and (2) before the advent of powered manned flight counts for nowt. Nobody alive today ever saw either.

Being kicked out of the same competition for cheating, ripping off creditors when you fail miserably with club finances thus making local businesses suffer.

Very different indeed. I know whose stand I'd rather be in.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 13:28 - Jun 30 with 4003 viewsAtThePeake

There appears to be little to no punishment for teams overspending and essentially cheating their way to trophies and promotions. Isn't this the third time Bury have been bailed out at the last minute and they're no worse off than us?

I've become so exasperated by it I'd rather see us spend spend spend, have a few season in the Championship, and then end up exactly where we are now a few years later when the Football League fail to punish us correctly and we beg for some new investors on the website.

Tangled up in blue.

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 13:55 - Jun 30 with 3958 viewsD_Alien

"I went to the meeting on Wednesday night with an open mind and came away in the frame of mind that the new owners had a genuine love of football and wanted to run a club on sensibility"

Oddly enough, I went to a meeting (fans forum) when Steve Eyre took charge a couple of years ago, and came away thinking this guy is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable...

Gambo... the guys with the keys to Gigg Lane make a living out of saying whatever it takes to make people part with their money. Interested in football? Right!

On the more general point, I doubt there's a single genuine Dale fan who would swap our way of doing business for anyone else's. The most precious moments of my sporting life have occurred watching Dale achieve promotion (twice) and appearing at Wembley, after years of bumping along the bottom and barely surviving the financial hardships that come with co-existing with several championship & premiership teams nearby. We've never reneged on a debt, or a promise - the latter because we're not so stupid as to make any. Survival with honour then, and glory tastes so much sweeter than you'll ever know.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 15:58 - Jun 30 with 3835 viewsGraeme0161

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 13:55 - Jun 30 by D_Alien

"I went to the meeting on Wednesday night with an open mind and came away in the frame of mind that the new owners had a genuine love of football and wanted to run a club on sensibility"

Oddly enough, I went to a meeting (fans forum) when Steve Eyre took charge a couple of years ago, and came away thinking this guy is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable...

Gambo... the guys with the keys to Gigg Lane make a living out of saying whatever it takes to make people part with their money. Interested in football? Right!

On the more general point, I doubt there's a single genuine Dale fan who would swap our way of doing business for anyone else's. The most precious moments of my sporting life have occurred watching Dale achieve promotion (twice) and appearing at Wembley, after years of bumping along the bottom and barely surviving the financial hardships that come with co-existing with several championship & premiership teams nearby. We've never reneged on a debt, or a promise - the latter because we're not so stupid as to make any. Survival with honour then, and glory tastes so much sweeter than you'll ever know.

I am a Bury supporter and would love to have the Rochdale approach, this boom and bust will only end in tears,

This new board at Bury MIGHT have the right intentions at the moment, but it wont last, the club has very little support from the towns people and will never make the money to reach the expectations of the present board.
Once they realise this, they will take the ground and there will be no new savior as there is nothing left of value.

By the way I love this message board, I always read, it is so much more enlightening than the self gratifying "mong board"
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:14 - Jun 30 with 3801 viewsR17ALE

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 15:58 - Jun 30 by Graeme0161

I am a Bury supporter and would love to have the Rochdale approach, this boom and bust will only end in tears,

This new board at Bury MIGHT have the right intentions at the moment, but it wont last, the club has very little support from the towns people and will never make the money to reach the expectations of the present board.
Once they realise this, they will take the ground and there will be no new savior as there is nothing left of value.

By the way I love this message board, I always read, it is so much more enlightening than the self gratifying "mong board"

Blimey. Another one!

Some interesting points raised however, you cannot have a calm debate on mong central due to the egos and bitterness most of them have, so welcome aboard!

What makes the bury experiment so interesting to all onlookers, is the eventual outcome. None of us know for certain where it is heading.

And, the Fans Forum raised more questions than answers for me from what I can gather. Nev Nev is the master statesman in dictating the direction and flavour of the evening and those present left knowing little more than they did when they arrived.

One thing is clear. The new broom appear intent on protecting their investment whilst rebuilding the club on and off the pitch to perhaps deliver Championship football. If they succeed, they will get their money back and will be owners of a club (they probably picked up cheaply) in the Championship, with its own ground with a decent squad.

It's great on paper, but what happens if things don't follow the plan on the pitch?

And I'm struggling to think of a single comparison where this approach has worked out well, but I can think of plenty that have gone tits up. And this Day character - there's just something that doesn't seem quite right. For a Huddersfield person he has a very strange accent for starters. And I don't buy his philanthropic footballing persona.

To the OP, I've often thought the same - which is best?

For me, our recent success was sweeter for the manner in which we achieved it. If you go up this season, it will always be the consortium's promotion, it won't belong to the fans. For example, how sincere was Blackburn's Premier League title? Or Chelsea's for that matter.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:17 - Jun 30 with 3787 viewsSalwaDale

As is often the case, Razzle sums up my thoughts far more eloquently than I could. I do find the whole thing utterly fascinating at the moment.

TBBT

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:21 - Jun 30 with 3773 viewsDale1940

According to a longstanding Bury supporter they are not paying more than £800 pw to any new signings!
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:25 - Jun 30 with 3752 viewsR17ALE

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:17 - Jun 30 by SalwaDale

As is often the case, Razzle sums up my thoughts far more eloquently than I could. I do find the whole thing utterly fascinating at the moment.

I do my best!

I was able to watch passages of their Forum on you tube. It was very interesting.

The one thing I immediately picked up on was the number of times Day said things like,

"I'll be honest with you"

"This is the truth"

"I'll always be approachable and transparant."

etc etc.

I reckon he said lines to this effect in excess of double figures.

Why? Surely a FF is about the panel being open and honest in the first place. Interestingly, no-one has picked up on this, (to be honest!)

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:31 - Jun 30 with 3732 viewsTTNYear

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:25 - Jun 30 by R17ALE

I do my best!

I was able to watch passages of their Forum on you tube. It was very interesting.

The one thing I immediately picked up on was the number of times Day said things like,

"I'll be honest with you"

"This is the truth"

"I'll always be approachable and transparant."

etc etc.

I reckon he said lines to this effect in excess of double figures.

Why? Surely a FF is about the panel being open and honest in the first place. Interestingly, no-one has picked up on this, (to be honest!)

A wise old miserable bugger once told me that someone who starts a sentence 'I'll be honest with you....' or 'To be honest....' , is probably not being. I can't remember who?

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:42 - Jun 30 with 3705 viewsR17ALE

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:31 - Jun 30 by TTNYear

A wise old miserable bugger once told me that someone who starts a sentence 'I'll be honest with you....' or 'To be honest....' , is probably not being. I can't remember who?

I wonder.

People who often use such terminology do so because half the time they're not being honest!

And t'other thing which struck me was Nev Nev constantly banging on about how close they were to closure. Scaremongery is one of the best tactics of a salesman known to man!

In particular the passage when he revealed that the end was in sight, he looked up to the skies in a "thank you God" manner and said, "and these lads walked in".

REALLY!!!

Anyone fancy driving over to Hartlepool tomorrow, knock on the door and see if we can pick them up for a few quid?

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 17:36 - Jun 30 with 3604 viewsHopwoodblue

I would say you're three large steps from boom and one small step from bust,
Maybe if you come back this time next year and ask the same question,you may already know the right answer!

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 18:40 - Jun 30 with 3522 viewsClivert

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 16:31 - Jun 30 by TTNYear

So true that.
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 07:35 - Jul 1 with 3317 viewsaleanddale

The OP is diluted!!

He writes this like bURY are high flyers and have a trophy cabinet bursting at the seams!!.

The reality is that bURY have been a step behind Dale in recent times ( last 10 years - maybe more ) and long may that continue.

Dale have done this without defaulting and any payment commitment so the answer is obvious Dale are doing things the right way and bury are a shower of shite.
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 08:16 - Jul 1 with 3293 viewsdownunder

The Rochdale v Bury thread on 07:35 - Jul 1 by aleanddale

The OP is diluted!!

He writes this like bURY are high flyers and have a trophy cabinet bursting at the seams!!.

The reality is that bURY have been a step behind Dale in recent times ( last 10 years - maybe more ) and long may that continue.

Dale have done this without defaulting and any payment commitment so the answer is obvious Dale are doing things the right way and bury are a shower of shite.

Yeah, diluted. And its a debite, not a debate.
The Rochdale v Bury thread on 13:00 - Jul 1 with 3159 viewsTomRAFC

Obviously success is what every football fan dreams of and the Hill years at dale gave most dale fans their first true taste of it.

There is another factor in it for me though. Besides the Coleman years dale as a club and a set of fans have enjoyed a certain reputation as a somewhat loveable club. Welcoming fans, a cracking away day and a team that local rivals aside most clubs fans like to see us doing well.

Being a dale fan is a very odd experience rich in gallows humor and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024