Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Storm 19:42 - Oct 27 with 8663 viewsChinajohn

How bad is it down there? Fairly gusty here in County Durham.
Big Storm on 06:58 - Oct 28 with 2877 viewsdaveB

seems to have just hit us in the last hour in Langley, heard nothing but sirens since then and te trees at the bottom of my garden are not looking healthy
Big Storm on 07:15 - Oct 28 with 2843 viewsN12Hoop

Bin collection day in N12 so the council are kindly emptying the bins, most of which are already on the floor and leaving the street full of hollow bins which seems like a great idea given the wind.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Big Storm on 07:32 - Oct 28 with 2820 viewslondonscottish

Big Storm on 07:15 - Oct 28 by N12Hoop

Bin collection day in N12 so the council are kindly emptying the bins, most of which are already on the floor and leaving the street full of hollow bins which seems like a great idea given the wind.

Wind kicked off properly at 6.30 am here in NW10.

Carnage out back - I had a 12 ft by 12ft olive tree in a pot on the patio. The tree is now half way across the lawn, the 3 ft pot is smashed and in a trail across the garden. Smaller bay tree, same story.

Looked up to check roof - big section of flashing torn off, the remainder flapping in the wind. Wondered what all that banging was......

FFS. I've only just sorted out the lightning damage from July.

Edit; had a look out front one tree in the street down + quite a few branches down.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2013 8:38]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Big Storm on 08:39 - Oct 28 with 2719 viewsWokingR

What a start to the day and work out that was!
Spent 6am - 7am trying to hold onto a 30 ft tarpaulin that the builders thought would be fine.
On the plus side though, I now don't need to go to the gym today and learned to fly
Big Storm on 09:39 - Oct 28 with 2652 viewsPhildo

on the plus side a tree fell on my pikey neighbors van
Big Storm on 09:43 - Oct 28 with 2646 viewstoboboly

I seem to have slept through everything and am not sure what the fuss was about.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Big Storm on 10:52 - Oct 28 with 2579 viewsHollowayRanger

well upset it blew down the clacton rollacoster!

spent a lot of my childhood riding that!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24702946

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Big Storm on 11:08 - Oct 28 with 2568 viewsToast_R

Big Storm on 07:32 - Oct 28 by londonscottish

Wind kicked off properly at 6.30 am here in NW10.

Carnage out back - I had a 12 ft by 12ft olive tree in a pot on the patio. The tree is now half way across the lawn, the 3 ft pot is smashed and in a trail across the garden. Smaller bay tree, same story.

Looked up to check roof - big section of flashing torn off, the remainder flapping in the wind. Wondered what all that banging was......

FFS. I've only just sorted out the lightning damage from July.

Edit; had a look out front one tree in the street down + quite a few branches down.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2013 8:38]

Was it lead flashing?
Login to get fewer ads

Big Storm on 11:21 - Oct 28 with 2553 viewssimmo

Big Storm on 06:35 - Oct 28 by QPR_John

Me to in Reading

No offence but I would love it of the whole of Reading just blew away.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Big Storm on 12:06 - Oct 28 with 2500 viewsQPunkR

Flew in to Stansted last night. Before takeoff the pilot was clearly bricking it as he kept trying to get everyone to sit down quicker so he could take off. Said he didn't wanna fly through a storm he was told could be even bigger than '87.
Way to calm down bad flyers, mister pilot (like me )

QPR - "shit but local"

Big Storm on 12:15 - Oct 28 with 2482 viewsSuffolk

Big Storm on 21:57 - Oct 27 by wood_hoop

Suffolk where I am no more than a slight breeze, as its flatter than Kiera Knightly's chest by me, have ear marked a couple of mole hills to hide behind if it really does kick off.................

Just finished removing my 20 feet+ pear tree off the top of my conservatory. Amazingly not a scratch on the conservatory! Garden looks bloody awful. And as for moles..............
Big Storm on 13:04 - Oct 28 with 2446 viewslondonscottish

Big Storm on 11:08 - Oct 28 by Toast_R

Was it lead flashing?

Nope some sort of plastic. I've got a flat roof on my dormer finished in GRP. There's a dark-coloured strip which fits over the edge. Seems to overlap the sofit (am I using the right terms?).

Anyway it's been working its way loose over the last few windy days (I could hear it clonking) and now it's made it's bid for freedom.

I don't think it's a massive job - it's more the access that's a problem, tbh.

Oh, a the roofing contractor is trying to claim that it's not covered by his 10 year guarantee (it was done in August 2012) . FFS.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Big Storm on 13:53 - Oct 28 with 2388 viewsGloucs_R

Carnage down here in Glos. I walked the dog this morning and at least 6 apples had been blown off the trees in my local park. Heart breaking, really hope the area recovers.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big Storm on 14:04 - Oct 28 with 2380 viewsBillionR

Well I spent the morning clearing my roof tiles from next door's drive. It also seems they have hit and dented their UPVC window sills. Does anyone know anything about insurance or repairing windows? Called my insurers (LV) and they said they won't cover damage to next door. So I will have to pay my excess and should offer to pay the neighbours too I guess unless I can get some repairs done cheaper.
Big Storm on 15:31 - Oct 28 with 2327 viewseastside_r

Easy for those unaffected to mock but there has been three fatalities and counting. A fallen tree caused a large gas explosion in Hounslow. The rail network has been brought to a stand-still in parts of the south-east. Tens of thousands still without power in Essex and East Anglia.
Big Storm on 15:45 - Oct 28 with 2310 viewsTheBlob

Big Storm on 15:31 - Oct 28 by eastside_r

Easy for those unaffected to mock but there has been three fatalities and counting. A fallen tree caused a large gas explosion in Hounslow. The rail network has been brought to a stand-still in parts of the south-east. Tens of thousands still without power in Essex and East Anglia.

Who was mocking the afflicted?We're not like that on LFW.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Big Storm on 16:50 - Oct 28 with 2263 viewselnombre

Big Storm on 14:04 - Oct 28 by BillionR

Well I spent the morning clearing my roof tiles from next door's drive. It also seems they have hit and dented their UPVC window sills. Does anyone know anything about insurance or repairing windows? Called my insurers (LV) and they said they won't cover damage to next door. So I will have to pay my excess and should offer to pay the neighbours too I guess unless I can get some repairs done cheaper.

I'm astonished a decent insurer like LV doesn't include third party liability - perhaps you got the tea boy as they were all busy on the phones - worth checking again I think.
Big Storm on 17:25 - Oct 28 with 2233 viewsqprmick

Can't the neighbour claim on his own insurance?

Qprmick

Big Storm on 18:25 - Oct 28 with 2190 viewsBrightonhoop

Big Storm on 17:25 - Oct 28 by qprmick

Can't the neighbour claim on his own insurance?

Precisely. Should be covered by his own insurance, nieghbour that is, for falling debris wherever it came from.
Big Storm on 18:47 - Oct 28 with 2166 viewskarl

Big Storm on 18:25 - Oct 28 by Brightonhoop

Precisely. Should be covered by his own insurance, nieghbour that is, for falling debris wherever it came from.

This is the big difference between areas like here where there is regularly wind like today's storm and those where it is a rare occurence.
The house I had built was right on the west edge of Orkney right by the sea and we caught every gale of wind. The building regs are very stringent and after a gale of wind it makes you glad of it, the standing joke is that England are on panic stations while we have this weather every Spring and Autumn but in reality i would rather be in Orkney during a wind gusting to 120mph (like last year) than the uncertainty of what could be blown at you in an 80mph wind in some of these areas.
I remember last years wind when i was landing the catch off a boat at 4am, it was blowing a hoolie and wearing full oilskins i was catching the wind like a sail. All of a sudden a squall of rain came in and what a wind came with it, thankfully i caught hold of the forklift and sat behind jt till the rain passed and the wind subsided, bloody hellish and would have been worse if there was loose debris flying about too. Anyhow, don't take the threat of injury lightly if you are caught up in it, a flying trampoline will hurt!
Btw nice day here today if a bit wet in the heavy showers
Big Storm on 18:54 - Oct 28 with 2152 viewsShotKneesHoop

Big Storm on 15:31 - Oct 28 by eastside_r

"Tens of thousands still without power in Essex and East Anglia". NFN - That's Normal For Norfolk.

Got 1 and a 1/2 ton of logs delivered today for £95, that's power in Norfolk, so that's me fuelled up for the next two years.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Big Storm on 19:03 - Oct 28 with 2137 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

Big Storm on 19:19 - Oct 28 with 2125 viewsNov77

Fcuknig wnids blwoing all my ltteres abuot.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Big Storm on 19:59 - Oct 28 with 2098 viewsCiderwithRsie

The prediction was entirely based on computer modelling by the Met Office and therefore I think you'll find it didn't happen at all, as those things are worthless
Big Storm on 20:34 - Oct 28 with 2070 viewsmichael67

The estate agents must have done a roaring trade, There isn't a single flat or house up for sale or letting in my area, whereas there was loads at the weekend.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024