Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
rule 11 offside 22:34 - Feb 9 with 2562 viewskiwidale

I got into a debate with my Forest supporting mate about Forests second goal v Leeds being offside. What say you?

[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 22:52]

This is not the time for bickering.

rule 11 offside on 22:48 - Feb 9 with 2140 viewsnordenblue

He's behind the ball when the balls played, he/she cant be offside?
rule 11 offside on 23:00 - Feb 9 with 2121 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 22:48 - Feb 9 by nordenblue

He's behind the ball when the balls played, he/she cant be offside?

That is what my mate said and I am prepared to be corrected however on the FA website rule 11 says

A player is in an offside position if:
any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

I see no mention about a ball played backwards when only the last defender in this case the Goal keeper is between the player receiving the ball and the goal.

rule 11 offside on 23:03 - Feb 9 with 2108 viewschalky_ncfc

How many times has he mentioned the European Cup in the past?

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

rule 11 offside on 23:06 - Feb 9 with 2108 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 23:00 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

That is what my mate said and I am prepared to be corrected however on the FA website rule 11 says

any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

I see no mention about a ball played backwards when only the last defender in this case the Goal keeper is between the player receiving the ball and the goal.

maybe this part of rule 11 clarifies it or does it?
a player is offside if
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than *BOTH THE BALL* and the second-last opponent.

rule 11 offside on 23:07 - Feb 9 with 2105 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 23:03 - Feb 9 by chalky_ncfc

How many times has he mentioned the European Cup in the past?

Oh you know him.

rule 11 offside on 23:08 - Feb 9 with 2093 viewschalky_ncfc

rule 11 offside on 23:07 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

Oh you know him.

They can't help themselves

rule 11 offside on 23:13 - Feb 9 with 2095 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 23:08 - Feb 9 by chalky_ncfc

They can't help themselves

If I had a Penney for every time he mentions two european cups or Brian Clough I would be a rich man that said they are looking good for playoffs or better.

rule 11 offside on 23:18 - Feb 9 with 2084 viewsnordenblue

"any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

If hes behind the ball, hes not nearer to the opponents goal line than the ball, so the "both" doesn't apply I'd say,leaving him onside
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 23:19]
Login to get fewer ads

rule 11 offside on 23:20 - Feb 9 with 2063 viewschalky_ncfc

rule 11 offside on 23:13 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

If I had a Penney for every time he mentions two european cups or Brian Clough I would be a rich man that said they are looking good for playoffs or better.

If you think that you've got it bad then imagine what it's like being surrounded by them
As for their promotion chances there's still plenty of time for them to f**k it up again
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 23:21]

rule 11 offside on 23:21 - Feb 9 with 2067 views442Dale

rule 11 offside on 23:06 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

maybe this part of rule 11 clarifies it or does it?
a player is offside if
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than *BOTH THE BALL* and the second-last opponent.

He’s offside if nearer to the goal than the ball and the second last defender.

He wasn’t nearer to the goal than the ball so he wasn’t offside.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

rule 11 offside on 23:23 - Feb 9 with 2051 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 23:18 - Feb 9 by nordenblue

"any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

If hes behind the ball, hes not nearer to the opponents goal line than the ball, so the "both" doesn't apply I'd say,leaving him onside
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 23:19]

Ok thanks for clearing it up. I do now seem to remember that not offside if the ball was played backwards only offside if payed forward I.E. he was ahead of the ball when played in.

rule 11 offside on 23:47 - Feb 9 with 2035 viewsD_Alien

I don't believe kiwi has got a Forest-supporting mate, but at least the law has been clarified

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

rule 11 offside on 05:53 - Feb 10 with 1964 viewspioneer

Small technicality ....its Law 11, their are no ‘rules’ to football.
rule 11 offside on 07:28 - Feb 10 with 1921 viewsEllDale

Shades of Jeff Astle's winner at Leeds all those years ago.
On that occasion he was in front of the player who passed to him so technically offside.
Looking at this one the Forest player stays behind the lad who bursts clear and so is onside as I understand it.
rule 11 offside on 11:03 - Feb 10 with 1814 viewspioneer

rule 11 offside on 07:28 - Feb 10 by EllDale

Shades of Jeff Astle's winner at Leeds all those years ago.
On that occasion he was in front of the player who passed to him so technically offside.
Looking at this one the Forest player stays behind the lad who bursts clear and so is onside as I understand it.

1971 and it cost leeds the title. But it was colin suggett who was in offside position, Astle was onside. Linesman raised his flag but referee Tinkler (funny how names often reflect occupations) let play go on because suggett was ‘ not interfering with play’!

Bill Shankly said if any of his players were not interfering with play theyd be in the reserves next week!
rule 11 offside on 10:32 - Feb 12 with 1586 viewschalky_ncfc

rule 11 offside on 23:13 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

Forest 0 Charlton 1

rule 11 offside on 05:21 - Apr 30 with 1382 viewsforestkiwi

you may knock forest but they where by far the best team in 79/80 beating the best Liverpool side ever on a regular basis,people forget they where the European champions in 78 and we knocked them out in 79 ,forest where managed by the best football manager ever and he should have been England manager,
Football League First Division: 1977—78
FA Cup: 1897—98, 1958—59
Football League Cup: 1977—78, 1978—79, 1988—89, 1989—90
Full Members Cup: 1988—89, 1991—92
FA Charity Shield: 1978
European Cup: 1978—79, 1979—80
European Super Cup: 1979
i have some spare forest shirts if anybody want to buy 1
rule 11 offside on 07:17 - Apr 30 with 1334 viewsDiddyDave

rule 11 offside on 05:21 - Apr 30 by forestkiwi

you may knock forest but they where by far the best team in 79/80 beating the best Liverpool side ever on a regular basis,people forget they where the European champions in 78 and we knocked them out in 79 ,forest where managed by the best football manager ever and he should have been England manager,

I think Cloughie`s television exploits would`ve quickly ruled him out of ever being England manager. He could rule the roost at Forest,but expecting top English players to put up with his tirades and drunkenness would`ve soon had him a long way down the list,as happened at Leeds. I had a mate who was on the fringes of the first team and went away with them a few times. Cloughie had a special seat made up for him at the front of the bus with his flask of tea (whisky). He used to put his feet on a rail and anybody who laughed when they fell off would get a look that could kill,or they`d be put on the bench. But yes,look at the trophies he won in a relatively short time at Derby and Forest,amazing really.
rule 11 offside on 08:02 - Apr 30 with 1304 viewskiwidale

rule 11 offside on 07:17 - Apr 30 by DiddyDave

I think Cloughie`s television exploits would`ve quickly ruled him out of ever being England manager. He could rule the roost at Forest,but expecting top English players to put up with his tirades and drunkenness would`ve soon had him a long way down the list,as happened at Leeds. I had a mate who was on the fringes of the first team and went away with them a few times. Cloughie had a special seat made up for him at the front of the bus with his flask of tea (whisky). He used to put his feet on a rail and anybody who laughed when they fell off would get a look that could kill,or they`d be put on the bench. But yes,look at the trophies he won in a relatively short time at Derby and Forest,amazing really.

I know this lad Diddy he's a good mate but completely one eyed regards Forrest best let Chalky deal with him he will know how.

rule 11 offside on 10:37 - Apr 30 with 1227 viewsforestkiwi

Football is a passion of mine and support both Forest and County,i used to go to forest one week and county the next,at one point county under the late great jimmy sirrel trounced forest on lots of occasions and watching Tony Haterly was a pleasure best header of a ball i ever seen,plus the Bovril was better at Notts and the pies where cheaper, its very sad as where they are in football today as the oldest member of the football league and as a forest supporter i would give them some of our points if we could see them move up the leagues, their history is as much to me as forest, we have had some great days at forest 2 European cup wins on the trot not many manager today can say that with all there money and it was TV that turned mr clough into a alcoholic with the after match TV gatherings and he was always at central studios with the TV reporters because he was a star of the day,Mr Clough would have not took orders from the FA and would not have been a yes man like the prats we had managing England at the time,this is why he didn't get the job and as far as Leeds go they where at that time the dirtiest Bxxxxds in the football league and Norman hunter was the worst and Mr Clough would not tolerate cheats so that is most of the Leeds players gone and he always thanked Leeds for the brand new Mercedes they gave him for 81 days,they where the losers in the end and maybe they could have won a proper cup!!!just my point of view,anyway lets see how the Dale go this season and manage to keep up!!!
rule 11 offside on 10:44 - Apr 30 with 1214 viewsBigDaveMyCock

rule 11 offside on 05:21 - Apr 30 by forestkiwi

The much derided Full Members Cup provided some brilliant finals.
Chelsea 5 Man City 4 and Forest 4 Everton 3.

If you’ve got so much money how come you’re so sh!t?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

rule 11 offside on 11:23 - Apr 30 with 1165 viewsdingdangblue

rule 11 offside on 23:23 - Feb 9 by kiwidale

Ok thanks for clearing it up. I do now seem to remember that not offside if the ball was played backwards only offside if payed forward I.E. he was ahead of the ball when played in.

I thought that too (about the ball being played back - but that isn't the case)!
You can still be offside if the ball is played back! Look at this Wolves goal disallowed ridiculously by VAR. The corner taker receives the ball back to him and even though it is played back towards his own goal it was given offside!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

rule 11 offside on 11:34 - Apr 30 with 1143 viewsBartRowou

What's often forgotten about the Forest team of the 80s is that they finished third three times (83,87 and 88), were denied a number of European adventures due to the Heysel ban and were denied a place in UEFA Cup final in 1984 (it would have been Spurs v Forest and you'd still be talking about it today) by a bent ref. Article that proves his bentness at the link below if anyone has the time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37453762

Oh and kiwiforestdale forgot to mention the Mercantile Credit Football Festival (1988) and the Soccer Sixes (1987), both of which were big beer back then.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

rule 11 offside on 12:32 - Apr 30 with 1090 viewsforestkiwi

rule 11 offside on 11:34 - Apr 30 by BartRowou

What's often forgotten about the Forest team of the 80s is that they finished third three times (83,87 and 88), were denied a number of European adventures due to the Heysel ban and were denied a place in UEFA Cup final in 1984 (it would have been Spurs v Forest and you'd still be talking about it today) by a bent ref. Article that proves his bentness at the link below if anyone has the time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37453762

Oh and kiwiforestdale forgot to mention the Mercantile Credit Football Festival (1988) and the Soccer Sixes (1987), both of which were big beer back then.

well said,i dont like to brag too much so i dont count the coulder woulder shouder
rule 11 offside on 12:45 - Apr 30 with 1067 viewsAtThePeake

rule 11 offside on 10:37 - Apr 30 by forestkiwi

Football is a passion of mine and support both Forest and County,i used to go to forest one week and county the next,at one point county under the late great jimmy sirrel trounced forest on lots of occasions and watching Tony Haterly was a pleasure best header of a ball i ever seen,plus the Bovril was better at Notts and the pies where cheaper, its very sad as where they are in football today as the oldest member of the football league and as a forest supporter i would give them some of our points if we could see them move up the leagues, their history is as much to me as forest, we have had some great days at forest 2 European cup wins on the trot not many manager today can say that with all there money and it was TV that turned mr clough into a alcoholic with the after match TV gatherings and he was always at central studios with the TV reporters because he was a star of the day,Mr Clough would have not took orders from the FA and would not have been a yes man like the prats we had managing England at the time,this is why he didn't get the job and as far as Leeds go they where at that time the dirtiest Bxxxxds in the football league and Norman hunter was the worst and Mr Clough would not tolerate cheats so that is most of the Leeds players gone and he always thanked Leeds for the brand new Mercedes they gave him for 81 days,they where the losers in the end and maybe they could have won a proper cup!!!just my point of view,anyway lets see how the Dale go this season and manage to keep up!!!

And breathe...

By the way, how can Notts County be the oldest members of the Football League when they're not members of the Football League?

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024