Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager 16:15 - May 12 with 18050 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/60225/big-jim-confirmed-as-

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:29 - May 12 with 10920 viewsDale_4_Life

Good luck Jim McNulty.

Got a tune at the end of the season and if he continues to grow as a manager and not persist with what belongs in the top flight not the Vanarama we will be ok.

The decision is made lets move on and get right behind the club now in the build up to pre season. The Club has had a torrid 24 months this could be the turning point.

Up the Dale.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:40 - May 12 with 10854 viewssamueloneils

IMO this is probably the best decision for the following reasons.

1. He knows the players and the club likev the back of his hand which will massively speed up the sweeping away of some of the many unrequired players, and maybe staff.
2.He will have a good idea of the budget and won`t be surprised by the inevitable reductions.
3. I cant see him having any grand ideas of what sort of team is required for survival in the first instance.

At least wev know the man. Some of you will say this is a negative I know, but his style of play in the last few games will be overtaken by completely new priorities when building for a new season.

Lets get over the past and get behind the team we love.

Up the Dale.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:51 - May 12 with 10780 viewsbluevein64

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:29 - May 12 by Dale_4_Life

Good luck Jim McNulty.

Got a tune at the end of the season and if he continues to grow as a manager and not persist with what belongs in the top flight not the Vanarama we will be ok.

The decision is made lets move on and get right behind the club now in the build up to pre season. The Club has had a torrid 24 months this could be the turning point.

Up the Dale.

I'll second that, we (The Dale, or any squad for that matter) can't be expected to play the "City way" if we don't have the calibre of the City players, Jim isn't Pep either, surely Jim won't persist with a system that works fine with the elite top Leagues but doesn't work in League 5 !
Never the less Jim seems to have the respect of the players and visa versa, Jim's first job, off load the chaff and bring in some wheat so to speak !
Good Luck Big Jim .............
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:51 - May 12 with 10780 viewsmikehunt

Hard not to have given it to him after his second brief spell in charge. I think we all agree had he got the caretaker role sooner we may have stayed up.
Now it’s done I’m happy with it. He is a Dale man after all.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:19 - May 12 with 10625 viewswatford_dale

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:51 - May 12 by mikehunt

Hard not to have given it to him after his second brief spell in charge. I think we all agree had he got the caretaker role sooner we may have stayed up.

I can understand the appointment and best to him but I do not think he would have kept us up at all and we were beneficiaries of playing 3 teams that were already on the Beech.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:26 - May 12 with 10575 viewsDaleiLama

Saying the right things in the middle of this interview about the culture of the club and what he will and won't tolerate. Pointed digs at certain players too, without naming names. If he keeps his promises, we at least might have a chance of staying up.

Edit: My main reservation with BJ, as it was with Stockdale, was that the players are coached to death and forget how to play attacking football and score goals at the expense of passing in neat triangles. My gut feeling before the appointment was no, and the word-salad of coaching and improvement speak at the end still rings alarm bells, but he's our man, so he gets my support until he proves himself unworthy. I hope for everyone's sake that doesn't happen.
[Post edited 12 May 2023 17:36]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:35 - May 12 with 10507 viewsBluebottle

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:26 - May 12 by DaleiLama

Saying the right things in the middle of this interview about the culture of the club and what he will and won't tolerate. Pointed digs at certain players too, without naming names. If he keeps his promises, we at least might have a chance of staying up.

Edit: My main reservation with BJ, as it was with Stockdale, was that the players are coached to death and forget how to play attacking football and score goals at the expense of passing in neat triangles. My gut feeling before the appointment was no, and the word-salad of coaching and improvement speak at the end still rings alarm bells, but he's our man, so he gets my support until he proves himself unworthy. I hope for everyone's sake that doesn't happen.

Watching that interview he certainly knows what/who the problems are within the club and what needs changing, including from board level.

Having gone through the response on FB about Jim's appointment, it has certainly upset a certain element which makes me think the board might hopefully have got this right
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:46 - May 12 with 10415 viewsTrev

Think that's his best interview to date. Just wish he'd stop referring to draws as positive results in a relegation scrap.

Anyway, good luck Jim, a tough and important season ahead. You have my backing.

I've not had a season ticket for a few years due to location and family commitments. These haven't changed but I'll be picking a couple up as my small contribution to the cause.

Up the Dale!
Login to get fewer ads

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:04 - May 12 with 10288 viewsNewbury_Dale

Ambivalent about this appointment really. The board have shown already that they dont know what a good football manager looks like. So I suppose Jim is the least risky proposition for us all. Lets hope his first act is to get rid of all the dead wood at the club. Assuming Danny Lloyd finds a league club, I would be releasing all of the out of contract players with the possible exception of Keohane who at least provides some versatility [albeit he seems to be in decline now].
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:13 - May 12 with 10246 viewsKnavesmireBob

I love Jim. Always been naturally drawn to his personality, seems to have loads of warmth and empathy and sees the bigger picture. Dean's piece is really good and balanced. Personally I think for his own sake and thus ours he might have been better off having a spell elsewhere and learning from a really high level club culture and leader which he hasn't had at RAFC in his time as a coach, and therefore maybe a better candidate to be our next manager in a few years rather than right now. But equally I think there's plenty of potential in him and I'm very happy to give him the benefit of doubt. Likewise Kevin Gibbins if he becomes #2, I've always liked him too.

Good also to hear a bit about the recruitment process - a long list and 5 person shortlist sounds more like it, would be intrigued to know who else was interviewed, maybe that'll come out in time given the current propensity for leaks.

Best of luck Jim, up the Dale.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:19 - May 12 with 10207 viewsblackdogblue

Here is a Curveball….

For me, got through about 4 mins of his acceptance speech….

Hendo his 2nd???

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:19 - May 12 with 10210 viewssweetcorn

Absolutely stunned there are people happy with this announcement.

We've been on a slump since the last year of Hills reign and with each passing manager we just seem to get worse and people think Jim in his first ever managerial position, in a league he never even played in, never mind managed is the guy to stop this prolonged slump the club has been on?

It's a hard no from me, I'm stunned honestly. 4 embarrassing appointments in a row.

Hope he does the business and in times of stability I'd be all for it, but these are uncertain times for the club and we've given the keys to a rookie. Seems crazy to me.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:20 - May 12 with 10200 views49thseason

Seems as if he has done quite a lot of thinking and planning which is good. His statement is measured and sensible given the circumstances and he has a view on what he wants from his players. I rate this as a pretty decent start, he knows he will be held to account for much of this so I doubt its a frivolous view of where he wants to go.
He now carries the whole can, probably a new experience, but he knows what to expect if he doesnt get off to a good start and it won't be pretty. There is now no wiggle-room financially, so every decision has to be a good one regarding his squad, no lame ducks, no passengers.
If he can pull this off and get anywhere better than half way up the division he will do well, its a complete buggeration of a job and will take every ounce of determination, effort and bloody- mindedness he can muster. I wish him well and will watch on with interest and just a touch of trepidation.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:33 - May 12 with 10124 viewsBrierls

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:19 - May 12 by sweetcorn

We've been on a slump since the last year of Hills reign and with each passing manager we just seem to get worse and people think Jim in his first ever managerial position, in a league he never even played in, never mind managed is the guy to stop this prolonged slump the club has been on?

It's a hard no from me, I'm stunned honestly. 4 embarrassing appointments in a row.

Hope he does the business and in times of stability I'd be all for it, but these are uncertain times for the club and we've given the keys to a rookie. Seems crazy to me.

I fall into the stunned category too.

I’m stunned the BoD have turned down the opportunity of a fresh start. It’s actually a really weird feeling but I’m hurting. I don’t think I’ve ever been as disappointed with Dale as I am today.

Stunned, indeed.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:36 - May 12 with 10107 viewsClivert

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 17:26 - May 12 by DaleiLama

Is that one of Robbie Stockdale's old scripts that he's just read?

I liked Jim as a player and thought that he was harshly treated by some supporters he also comes across as a decent bloke but he isn't what we need right now. For me this going to turn into another disaster appointment from this board, they surrendered our status as an EFL club and I now truly fear that we are going to follow what Scunthorpe did this season.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:58 - May 12 with 10007 viewsHebdale

Oh god no, what another bad decision by the BoD
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:58 - May 12 with 10008 viewsblackdogblue

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:36 - May 12 by Clivert

Is that one of Robbie Stockdale's old scripts that he's just read?

I liked Jim as a player and thought that he was harshly treated by some supporters he also comes across as a decent bloke but he isn't what we need right now. For me this going to turn into another disaster appointment from this board, they surrendered our status as an EFL club and I now truly fear that we are going to follow what Scunthorpe did this season.

Oh yes… KH took Scunny down even with our Luke on loan….

When the sink down into the bowels of the Conference they sacked him…

Not aimed at you… Just saying

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:13 - May 12 with 9925 viewsRodingdale

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:19 - May 12 by sweetcorn

Not remotely stunned. The Boards recent announcements have given very strong clues. A Head Coach, not a Manager. Player recruitment not entrusted to the Manager, but based on input from consultants - at a fraction of the cost of appointing a Sporting Director. Had Jim written all over it. In business I’ve always been a fan of succession internally and I can see how the Board see this as a much safer bet, financially and footballing wise.

Disappointed yes, but not surprised at all.

I’ll reserve judgement on what happens between now and the End of July, if we reshape the squad sensibly to equip us for NL, properly engage with the Trust on their action plan, release an attractive ST package - then I’ll be buying a ST.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:14 - May 12 with 9922 viewsScunthorpedale

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 18:58 - May 12 by blackdogblue

Oh yes… KH took Scunny down even with our Luke on loan….

When the sink down into the bowels of the Conference they sacked him…

Not aimed at you… Just saying

I’m a Dale exile living near Scunthorpe. Re the comments on Keith Hill, local fans I know don’t blame him. Scunthorpe’s decline began about 4 years ago. They blame the former owner, and are convinced that if ownership hadn’t changed earlier this season they would not have a club today.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:14 - May 12 with 9917 viewsfrenzied

Not my choice.

However the decision has been made and we will have to get on with it.

Jim has no track record at all..he needs to make some tough decisions in the next few weeks then see how effective his recruitment skills are.

If come xmas we find ourselves in the bottom 6 im sure some fans will be screaming for his removal.

Really disappointed...but id be thrilled to be wrong
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:23 - May 12 with 9862 viewsNigelWatson

Great appointment. He now needs to be backed in the transfer market by Gauge. To free up funds, time to slim-down the expenditure on admin & miscellaneous bureaucracy.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:24 - May 12 with 9863 viewsNorthernDale

I wish Jim all the best due to the fact I am a Dale fan, but his style of football could be a disaster, we have recent virtually every game, we pass it backwards and sideways without any purpose, i.e Tranmere at home cost us a goal and Harrogate away is another example of how poor this type of football is, there could be many more we could all highlight.

This is my biggest worry, is if we try this youth team football coaching approach to football in the conference, we could be in trouble, hopefully he can learn to change his style of preferred football. So despite my concerns, I will give him a chance, hopefully he will not be another BBM.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:27 - May 12 with 9835 viewsNigelWatson

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 16:51 - May 12 by mikehunt

Two great points. Jim McNulty understands what RAFC is all about. I expect him to work far more closely with the youth team compared to Jim Bentley. And, yes, it is self-evident that we would have stayed up had the Jims been swapped sooner.
Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:29 - May 12 with 9815 viewsSuddenLad

I always had the feeling that Jim would get the job, not least because he is fully aware of the goings-on at the club, to the extent that there are unlikely to be any nasty surprises ahead for him, as there may have been for others. He knows the club, warts and all.

He also has the inside knowledge of the current playing staff and knows the 'workers from the shirkers', as he has already alluded to. A new face would have needed time to establish a rapport with the squad and make those decisions. Getting rid of some of these idle no-marks is an absolute priority and Jim knows who needs off-loading. Preferably tomorrow. We need to clear the decks as quickly as possible and get new blood in, that fits his stated criteria.

Jim seems absolutely determined to change the rotten culture that has pervaded all aspects of the club. That must be a priority and everyone must surely support him in that quest.

It was never going to be a universally popular appointment, that was obvious, but now he has been selected as the most suitable candidate for the job, he will have my full support.

He is clearly ambitious, loves this club, is determined to impose an entirely new culture

Whilst he will always be associated with being a player in the team who have failed in successive seasons, he now has an entirely different role to play, with great insight as to what changes are needed to turn things around.

The decision is made and we all need to get behind him. A new era dawns.

Up the Dale.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Big Jim confirmed as permanent manager on 19:32 - May 12 with 9792 viewselectricblue

Big Jim McNulty first act is to get Danny Lloyd to put ink to paper on a new contract.
Also get Sam Graham to sign aswell....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024