Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ABBA Rule 00:52 - May 4 with 1883 viewsDaley_Lama

Not just in music, but in penalty shoot outs too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39798344

Short version. Penalty shoot outs currently go

Team A win the toss
Team B

ABABABABAB-sudden death with a repeat of ABABAB

Issue. Team going second has the added pressure to score more often than not (as most penalties are statistically scored)

Change is

ABBAABBAAB - sudden death with a repeat of BAABBA

Winner of the toss gets advantage of going first 3/5 times.

I think this change is fair, logical and right. It will therefore no doubt fail to come to fruition.

Poll: DF in or out

ABBA Rule on 00:57 - May 4 with 1877 viewskiwidale

its all about money money money

This is not the time for bickering.

ABBA Rule on 01:05 - May 4 with 1870 viewsDaley_Lama

Chicarito tell me what's wrong..

Poll: DF in or out

ABBA Rule on 04:37 - May 4 with 1852 viewsdownunder

ABBA Rule on 01:05 - May 4 by Daley_Lama

Chicarito tell me what's wrong..

Been using this system when I was a coach, when picking teams.
The fat kids still ends up last ones chosen.
So I then select them as the ones doing the choosing.
ABBA Rule on 07:32 - May 4 with 1800 viewsD_Alien

ABBA Rule on 04:37 - May 4 by downunder

Do they choose the 2for1 deals?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

ABBA Rule on 07:48 - May 4 with 1773 viewsD_Alien

But on a more serious note, I can see the ABBA system causing some serious confusion in the heat and tension of a shootout, especially if it goes to the wire i.e. beyond the first five kicks

Or during the first five, if a few are missed by both sides, working out when one team has won. I can see extra kicks being taken once a result has been settled; unless there's an independent arbiter to keep track, which is fine at professional level, but lower down the leagues could result in confrontations with dozy refs
[Post edited 4 May 2017 7:49]

ABBA Rule on 08:01 - May 4 with 1743 viewsKnowlesy

ABBA Rule on 04:37 - May 4 by downunder

Us fat kids weren't always last pick! Embrace & excel as a goalkeeper and you end up being first pick.

Obviously what happened to Conrad too
ABBA Rule on 08:37 - May 4 with 1697 viewsDaleiLama

Maybe the powers that be will take a chance?
As long as the winner still takes it all, why not give it a try?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

ABBA Rule on 12:42 - May 4 with 1594 viewsBendy

ABBA Rule on 07:48 - May 4 by D_Alien

But on a more serious note, I can see the ABBA system causing some serious confusion in the heat and tension of a shootout, especially if it goes to the wire i.e. beyond the first five kicks

Or during the first five, if a few are missed by both sides, working out when one team has won. I can see extra kicks being taken once a result has been settled; unless there's an independent arbiter to keep track, which is fine at professional level, but lower down the leagues could result in confrontations with dozy refs
[Post edited 4 May 2017 7:49]

I don't see there too much of a problem with the order of kicks - as long as you each team takes two in a row (after the first odd one) then it isn't really hard. Also once you get to sudden death the shootout can only end after the first kick of the pair.

Finally, I don't think there is any real difference in working out when a team has won than in the current system. You still know easily how many penalties a team has left from their initial five. You know how many the opponent has scored. When the first number is less than the second it is game over! Both teams still have to take a minimum of three each before a result can be determined, and referees at all levels will mark down penalties in their books as they are taken so they'll likely be the most clued up on the shootout and the scenario - it's the players I fear will be more clueless/dozy!
Login to get fewer ads

ABBA Rule on 14:03 - May 4 with 1514 viewsD_Alien

ABBA Rule on 12:42 - May 4 by Bendy

I don't see there too much of a problem with the order of kicks - as long as you each team takes two in a row (after the first odd one) then it isn't really hard. Also once you get to sudden death the shootout can only end after the first kick of the pair.

Finally, I don't think there is any real difference in working out when a team has won than in the current system. You still know easily how many penalties a team has left from their initial five. You know how many the opponent has scored. When the first number is less than the second it is game over! Both teams still have to take a minimum of three each before a result can be determined, and referees at all levels will mark down penalties in their books as they are taken so they'll likely be the most clued up on the shootout and the scenario - it's the players I fear will be more clueless/dozy!

Aye, you're probably right, it's just I can see players and refs getting into unnecessary disputes due to sequencing issues where either party doesn't have pen & paper to hand to tick the kicks off

The tension and emotion of these situations can do crazy things to people's heads!

[Post edited 4 May 2017 14:07]

ABBA Rule on 14:33 - May 4 with 1490 viewspioneer

ABBA Rule on 14:03 - May 4 by D_Alien

Aye, you're probably right, it's just I can see players and refs getting into unnecessary disputes due to sequencing issues where either party doesn't have pen & paper to hand to tick the kicks off

The tension and emotion of these situations can do crazy things to people's heads!

[Post edited 4 May 2017 14:07]

Its worked well in tennis...and there are some right bozos play that game (australians mainly!).

Mind you the ump is sat down and has a pencil and paper at hand to help.
ABBA Rule on 15:14 - May 4 with 1451 viewsdingdangblue

England will still find a way to lose.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

ABBA Rule on 18:54 - May 4 with 1312 viewsfrenzied

I think they should do that spinning round the pole thing we do at Spotland..then take the penalty kick!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024