Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The next Man City or Birmingham City? 15:01 - Dec 19 with 2982 viewsBigKindo

Barnsley: Consortium completes takeover of Championship club
1 hour ago From the sectionBarnsley 34
Share this page
Barnsley win promotion
Barnsley won promotion to the Championship via the League One play-off final at Wembley in 2016
A consortium including a Chinese billionaire and the baseball boss who inspired the Hollywood film 'Moneyball' have taken control of Barnsley.

Chien Lee is joined on the Championship club's board by baseball pioneer Billy Beane, as well as investors Paul Conway, Grace Hung and Neerav Parekh.

The takeover ends Patrick Cryne's 13-year spell as owner.

Cryne, who has terminal cancer, wrote a letter to fans in September to say he was "living on borrowed time".

Chief executive Gauthier Ganaye told the club website: "We would like to thank every member of our loyal fan base for their patience and continued support over recent months.

"An exciting chapter is opening for Barnsley Football Club and we are looking forward to the future together."

Billy Beane
Billy Beane has previously been an advisor to Netherlands club AZ Alkmaar
Former Oakland A's general manager Beane pioneered the 'Moneyball' model for using computer-generated analysis to inform player recruitment and tactics, while Lee is also co-owner of French Ligue 1 side Nice, who reached the play-offs stage of this season's Champions League.

He was previously linked with Middlesbrough, Hull City and Brentford before turning his attention to Barnsley.

The Tykes are 20th in the Championship, four points above the relegation zone.
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:10 - Dec 19 with 2970 viewsEllDale

It will be interesting to see if Moneyball type player assessments can manage to get a club into the Premier League.

It worked relatively well for a small club in the States.

Weren't Brentford meant to be recruiting using Moneyball principles when Mark Warburton was manager?
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:20 - Dec 19 with 2953 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Perhaps WhiteyLad will come on here sometime and give us all the background on Tykeville?

Does he not work at Oakey these days?

He was a good contributor on here some months ago......who bullied him off?
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:28 - Dec 19 with 2933 viewsTVOS1907

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:20 - Dec 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

Perhaps WhiteyLad will come on here sometime and give us all the background on Tykeville?

Nobody “bullied him off”. Why ask that question or make an inference such as that?

As mentioned, he went to work for Barnsley at Oakwell and has toned down his internet and social media usage to a more professional level.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 16:23 - Dec 19 with 2860 viewsregjenkins

A plus point will be they won't need to change their kit colour to red. All the best to them.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 16:43 - Dec 19 with 2829 viewswatford_dale

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:10 - Dec 19 by EllDale

It will be interesting to see if Moneyball type player assessments can manage to get a club into the Premier League.

It worked relatively well for a small club in the States.

Weren't Brentford meant to be recruiting using Moneyball principles when Mark Warburton was manager?

I thought Warburton walked away as he didn't believe in their moneyball principles, he wanted to acquire players to fit the team and not because they were cheap when judged alongside other footballers based on a series of metrics.

I thought the moneyball principle only lasted a season because the Oakland A's (team he was managing) lost 3 of their stars from the previous season and due to budget constraints couldn't replace them like for like and so aimed for players that had the highest on base percentage, with the theory that of they get on base then they have a chance to score, for the cheapest price.

They did and won their division. They advanced and promptly were dispatched in the first round of the playoffs. Never been repeated in baseball since and this year the Houston Astros won the baseball championship because they went out and paid a 34 year old $29m/ year for the final 2 seasons of his contract.

The way that championship finance is heading, groups are buying clubs hoping to get them to the prem and then sell them on and even if they don't then you can bet the money invested will be returned to them, step forward Mike Ashley. They won't think twice of injecting £40m+ to get them up as they are aiming for a guaranteed increase in the value of the club and not necessarily attempting to do it on the cheap.

Combine this with the number of clubs who will have parachuted out of the PL with the equivalent of the GDP of Bolivia over the next few seasons and it will turn into an arms race.
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 17:26 - Dec 19 with 2770 viewsDaleiLama

I wonder if Grace got married to a bloke called Well?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 17:32 - Dec 19 with 2761 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:28 - Dec 19 by TVOS1907

Nobody “bullied him off”. Why ask that question or make an inference such as that?

As mentioned, he went to work for Barnsley at Oakwell and has toned down his internet and social media usage to a more professional level.

Tongue in cheek.........FO Chalky like.
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 17:55 - Dec 19 with 2715 viewsTVOS1907

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 17:32 - Dec 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

Tongue in cheek.........FO Chalky like.

RIght.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 18:09 - Dec 19 with 2688 viewsD_Dale

I wonder how happy the fans are about this. For a town not much bigger than Rochdale, attendances of 12-14,000 are impressive and have held up in spite of the team struggling this season.

The new owners' strategy can hardly be to increase the fanbase - where might the new supporters come from? They might push up ticket prices to the £30+ of Premiership clubs, but this is Barnsley and surrounding former pit villages - not, to the fans' credit, the world of the prawn sandwich brigade.

It is most likely a billionaire owner will marginalise the fans and aim to achieve success by getting out his cheque book as often as necessary. How many Dale fans would be happy were some immensely rich consortium - the members of which had probably never heard of the club a few weeks ago - to take over at Spotland?

I can't see Paul Heckingbottom fitting in with the new set-up (no criticism of him - he seems able to get the best out of players who haven't cost much; in the right circumstances I'd be happy to see Dale sign another ex-Barnsley manager).
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 23:09 - Dec 19 with 2435 viewsWhiteyBFC

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 15:20 - Dec 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

I'm still here. I still read the forum, I just don't contribute much. Same on my twitter, and elsewhere. I've had to massively step back since making working in football my profession rather than the hobby it was previously. Pretty much what TVOS said.

And so I sadly can't give you anything much more than is already out there.

This takeover has though been in the pipeline since around February this year. Mr Lee, Mr Conway, Ms Hung, Mr Beane (don't) and Mr Parekh have all attended numerous games during this time, they've not just shown up from nowhere and bought the club. They and our owner of 14 years, the great Patrick Cryne have done much homework.

From what I can gather, it is 'carry on as you were' but with budgets across the club increased. Not massively so, but we're now able to stop the sort of pilfering we see every transfer window where we lose a myriad of players that sees us start from square one again.

Of the 92 football league clubs, you can count on one hand the amount who have the amount of land we have. So much room for expansion and development, renovation etc. Have a look at what they've done for Nice in France.

Think the plan is to massively increase the way the club is run, the way the club looks, to modernise it and create a more appealing identity, rather than the one we've been saddled with for years.

There'll be no more 'teams like Barnsley' or 'tinpot Barnsley' etc.

We now have people on the board worth billions. crazy. But true.

How will it go? No idea. I can only guess.

We are meeting the new owners tomorrow before the press do, I might well be getting my p45!

On a Dale note, I see it's been a season of struggle so far. I still ALWAYS look for your result pretty much straight away. I still care. I am surprised at your season so far, but I know how good Keith is so I'm assuming he'll be backed, supported. Hope so.

Your design the kit thing, I love that. Sadly, it's not something we can do, being with Puma. However, we're lucky in that we get to choose bespoke kits from them, kits we ask them to make, and with fan like myself involved in the club, our choices will go down well. But that is a superb initiative from Dale. There's some great folk at your club. Having met and worked with Leighanne in a media capacity, I can certainly confirm she's one of the best at 'this' job we do.

Take care my friends, have a great Xmas and a wonderful New Year!

Whitey
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 07:49 - Dec 20 with 2295 viewsaleanddale

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 23:09 - Dec 19 by WhiteyBFC

I'm still here. I still read the forum, I just don't contribute much. Same on my twitter, and elsewhere. I've had to massively step back since making working in football my profession rather than the hobby it was previously. Pretty much what TVOS said.

This takeover has though been in the pipeline since around February this year. Mr Lee, Mr Conway, Ms Hung, Mr Beane (don't) and Mr Parekh have all attended numerous games during this time, they've not just shown up from nowhere and bought the club. They and our owner of 14 years, the great Patrick Cryne have done much homework.

From what I can gather, it is 'carry on as you were' but with budgets across the club increased. Not massively so, but we're now able to stop the sort of pilfering we see every transfer window where we lose a myriad of players that sees us start from square one again.

Of the 92 football league clubs, you can count on one hand the amount who have the amount of land we have. So much room for expansion and development, renovation etc. Have a look at what they've done for Nice in France.

Think the plan is to massively increase the way the club is run, the way the club looks, to modernise it and create a more appealing identity, rather than the one we've been saddled with for years.

We are meeting the new owners tomorrow before the press do, I might well be getting my p45!

On a Dale note, I see it's been a season of struggle so far. I still ALWAYS look for your result pretty much straight away. I still care. I am surprised at your season so far, but I know how good Keith is so I'm assuming he'll be backed, supported. Hope so.

Your design the kit thing, I love that. Sadly, it's not something we can do, being with Puma. However, we're lucky in that we get to choose bespoke kits from them, kits we ask them to make, and with fan like myself involved in the club, our choices will go down well. But that is a superb initiative from Dale. There's some great folk at your club. Having met and worked with Leighanne in a media capacity, I can certainly confirm she's one of the best at 'this' job we do.

Whitey

Cheers Whitey good to hear from you.

And good luck with the new career.

I think to a man we all trust Hill to sort this league position in 2018.

Worse case we go again in 2018/19 in league 2. Its not like we havnt been there before!
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 07:59 - Dec 20 with 2282 viewsDaleiLama

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 23:09 - Dec 19 by WhiteyBFC

Whitey

Good luck wi' it all Whitey. Hope the cards keep falling your way

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 22:02 - Dec 20 with 2053 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Good to hear from you WhiteyLad......the takeover has been prominent local news now for a few days and ITV Calendar had a feature tonight although Billy Beane has n't landed yet,I understand.......we will watch with interest,but if they leave Heggy to get on with it that can't be bad?

Re your "pilfering" comment........it seems to me that every match I watch on TV features "did n't he used to play for Barnsley?" comment...........have you sold them all short?
That's an old Dale trait.

Really sad about Patrick Cryne.......no doubt he will be still welcome with the new set up.
The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 22:41 - Dec 20 with 2030 viewsIknoweverything

“There's some great folk at your club. Having met and worked with Leighanne in a media capacity, I can certainly confirm she's one of the best at 'this' job we do.“

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 00:20 - Dec 21 with 1965 viewsdingdangblue

The next Man City or Birmingham City? on 22:02 - Dec 20 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good to hear from you WhiteyLad......the takeover has been prominent local news now for a few days and ITV Calendar had a feature tonight although Billy Beane has n't landed yet,I understand.......we will watch with interest,but if they leave Heggy to get on with it that can't be bad?

Re your "pilfering" comment........it seems to me that every match I watch on TV features "did n't he used to play for Barnsley?" comment...........have you sold them all short?
That's an old Dale trait.

Really sad about Patrick Cryne.......no doubt he will be still welcome with the new set up.

Sold them short?

Overall fee for Stones around £10 million
Mawson around £5 million
Holgate initial £1 million at 18 year old - more to come.

Pretty decent.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024