Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary Caps 14:52 - Feb 9 with 1689 viewsSuddenLad

Withdrawn for Leagues One and Two after a decision by the arbitration panel.

https://twitter.com/TheFLZone

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Salary Caps on 15:15 - Feb 9 with 1617 viewsDalenet

I guess Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. But really!! Talk about people trying to preserve the irresponsible status quo.

Lets have far tougher penalties then for clubs that go into administration or firms that "borrow" large sums from owners. We have already seen some of the bigger clubs in our division receive 7 times the amount of the smaller clubs in the Premiership grant and then see them buy new players. This is despite the same clubs being in debt. When will we learn
Salary Caps on 15:23 - Feb 9 with 1603 viewsD_Alien

Had it already been introduced, or was the salary cap pending?

If already in place, an 'interesting' discussion for those players contracted under it...

Not surprised, but if even the situation that's developed over the last 12 months can't ultimately change the financial apartheid in football then i'm hoping to see more overspending clubs go to the wall - no sympathy* whatsoever

* it's my "world view", apparently

[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 15:24]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Salary Caps on 16:01 - Feb 9 with 1514 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Salary Caps on 15:23 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

If already in place, an 'interesting' discussion for those players contracted under it...

Not surprised, but if even the situation that's developed over the last 12 months can't ultimately change the financial apartheid in football then i'm hoping to see more overspending clubs go to the wall - no sympathy* whatsoever

Think it was due to be in place for next season (?). If the debacle at FFCBFC couldn’t focus minds then there’s no hope.
I believe several clubs will go, not now because of the bad publicity of pulling the rug from under a club during a pandemic but in the next 18 months - 2 years there will be casualties.
Salary Caps on 16:39 - Feb 9 with 1423 viewstony_roch975

Salary Caps on 15:23 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

and one I share DA - with rights come responsibilities and clubs who take more than their fair share deserve to fail

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Salary Caps on 16:56 - Feb 9 with 1386 viewsBillyRudd

Salary Caps on 15:15 - Feb 9 by Dalenet

I guess Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. But really!! Talk about people trying to preserve the irresponsible status quo.

Lets have far tougher penalties then for clubs that go into administration or firms that "borrow" large sums from owners. We have already seen some of the bigger clubs in our division receive 7 times the amount of the smaller clubs in the Premiership grant and then see them buy new players. This is despite the same clubs being in debt. When will we learn

I know "when will we learn" is a rhetorical question as the clubs have had the lesson many times. But what do you expect when the inmates in the asylum are the ones making the rules.
If they had ever been serious about addressing football finances it could have been done with simple unequivocal measures long ago.
Immediate and continuing point deductions per game for non payment of wages and deductions for late payments to creditors are just two.
Other than the innocent powerless supporter I have absolute zero sympathy for any club not sticking to the Micawber Principle.
Up the Dale
Salary Caps on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 1252 viewsNigeriamark

Salary Caps on 16:56 - Feb 9 by BillyRudd

I know "when will we learn" is a rhetorical question as the clubs have had the lesson many times. But what do you expect when the inmates in the asylum are the ones making the rules.
If they had ever been serious about addressing football finances it could have been done with simple unequivocal measures long ago.
Immediate and continuing point deductions per game for non payment of wages and deductions for late payments to creditors are just two.
Other than the innocent powerless supporter I have absolute zero sympathy for any club not sticking to the Micawber Principle.
Up the Dale

We need to look at sport over the water in the states. Large salaries in a number of their key sports, yet because they have salary caps you very rarely if ever see any team go bust or even fail to make some profit. It does also even up the playing field by levelling the quality on the pitch to some degree

The problem when we let clubs here go to the wall is that those who caused it to happen don't really get penalised, but last in the queue for a pay out are small suppliers, fans etc. Easy to knock the fans who seem deluded on websites, but I would imagine many fans in the lower leagues are decent

Very disappointing outcome today
Salary Caps on 19:38 - Feb 9 with 1164 viewspioneer

Salary Caps on 17:49 - Feb 9 by Nigeriamark

We need to look at sport over the water in the states. Large salaries in a number of their key sports, yet because they have salary caps you very rarely if ever see any team go bust or even fail to make some profit. It does also even up the playing field by levelling the quality on the pitch to some degree

The problem when we let clubs here go to the wall is that those who caused it to happen don't really get penalised, but last in the queue for a pay out are small suppliers, fans etc. Easy to knock the fans who seem deluded on websites, but I would imagine many fans in the lower leagues are decent

Very disappointing outcome today

Quite a few major differences with North American sports though.....no relegation and promotion, municipal ownership of stadiums in many cases which repesents a huge public subsidy, equal sharing of TV contracts money, minimum spend on salaries as well as caps.

Because of franchise systems teams dont go bust but franchises move ...montreal to washington, teams in and out of LA on what seems to be a regular basis. Multiple attempts at ice hockey teams in Atlanta etc.
Salary Caps on 20:29 - Feb 9 with 1118 viewsNigeriamark

Salary Caps on 19:38 - Feb 9 by pioneer

Quite a few major differences with North American sports though.....no relegation and promotion, municipal ownership of stadiums in many cases which repesents a huge public subsidy, equal sharing of TV contracts money, minimum spend on salaries as well as caps.

Because of franchise systems teams dont go bust but franchises move ...montreal to washington, teams in and out of LA on what seems to be a regular basis. Multiple attempts at ice hockey teams in Atlanta etc.

Having a salary cap doesn't mean that you have to also do the other things you mentioned. It's just to control overspending/irresponsible spending
Login to get fewer ads

Salary Caps on 20:41 - Feb 9 with 1107 viewspioneer

Salary Caps on 20:29 - Feb 9 by Nigeriamark

Having a salary cap doesn't mean that you have to also do the other things you mentioned. It's just to control overspending/irresponsible spending

yes but you wrote because they have salary caps you dont see them going bust. Dont think that follows. And of course some of those sports have soft caps, you can spend as much as you want on salaries but are taxed on spending above salary thresholds.
Salary Caps on 12:39 - Feb 10 with 964 viewsJPSDale

Salary caps have been blocked by the Professional Footballers Association ( PFA ) for the simple reason that they dont care about clubs or the wider game as they have "protection" for their members that if a club goes bust, the "footballing debt" has to be paid or the players dont play in the new company / retain league status.

PFA should remember that every single one of their members started playing with their mates at an amateur club, without the amateur junior clubs there would be no scouts, no academy, no game, no privileged PFA - remember your roots........

Why should a centre forward who has sat in the stand all season on £10k per week get his back wages paid by the new owners, but the groundstaff or office staff get nothing but govt support - its not the staffs wages that send clubs bust - its players.

If the clubs want a salary cap - they dont need to have a collective agreement - they can do it by club basis by simply telling over paid players the new reality - and tell the agents to ask their client to pay them rather than telling the club to pay them.

Message to any League 1 or 2 Directors - its possible to say no to player wage demands without a wage cap - please for the good of the game - Just Say NO ( think thats copyright Grange Hill circa 1986)

Look at MacAnthony at Posh - not everyones cup of tea - but Posh is unlikely to go bust with him at the held coz he tells players, agents and other clubs to F*** Off when they are being silly - perhaps he should give coaching lesson to other owners !
Salary Caps on 15:07 - Feb 10 with 876 viewsjonahwhereru

When Alan Sugar got out of football he was bemoaning the fact football clubs were not being run like businesses and were financially reckless. This because the lenders and the HMRC treated them differently to any other business. The only exception in recent year being the shambles that was Bury.
This is a wasted opportunity to safe guard clubs from owners heady with the scent of glory in their nostrils. No winners with this decision, ultimately including the players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024