Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III 16:10 - Mar 23 with 3787 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54615/mark-hodkinson-inside

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 17:43 - Mar 23 with 2999 viewsD_Alien

"Almost everyone now agrees that 2020/21 is the EFL season that should not have happened."

Not a good start to this one, i'm afraid. It's a generalised and baseless opinion presented without any context and as something more fixed, which doesn't engender confidence in the portrayal of the more localised issues

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 18:54 - Mar 23 with 2854 viewspioneer

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 17:43 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

"Almost everyone now agrees that 2020/21 is the EFL season that should not have happened."

Not a good start to this one, i'm afraid. It's a generalised and baseless opinion presented without any context and as something more fixed, which doesn't engender confidence in the portrayal of the more localised issues

And football wasn’t mothballed during the war...it continued on a regional basis.
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:03 - Mar 23 with 2817 viewsjudd

Good grief.

St. David - the patron saint of wails.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:24 - Mar 23 with 2766 viewsTVOS1907

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 18:54 - Mar 23 by pioneer

And football wasn’t mothballed during the war...it continued on a regional basis.

He means the lower leagues didn't continue in the same format they had done before the War.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:43 - Mar 23 with 2716 viewspioneer

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:24 - Mar 23 by TVOS1907

He means the lower leagues didn't continue in the same format they had done before the War.

Odd use of the word mothballed then
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:45 - Mar 23 with 2711 viewsTVOS1907

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:43 - Mar 23 by pioneer

Odd use of the word mothballed then

Hardly, but that's a pedantic quibble against the rest of the article.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:54 - Mar 23 with 2678 views442Dale

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 17:43 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

It’s very insightful again. Interesting the choices made around when and when not to engage in communication.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:09 - Mar 23 with 2632 viewsD_Alien

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 19:54 - Mar 23 by 442Dale

It’s very insightful again. Interesting the choices made around when and when not to engage in communication.

Yes, insights are always good, and i think we're all wanting to read on for further opinions based on direct communication; or indeed lack of it

It's important that context is made clear and generalisations avoided, for the sake of clarity

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:21 - Mar 23 with 2590 views442Dale

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:09 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

Yes, insights are always good, and i think we're all wanting to read on for further opinions based on direct communication; or indeed lack of it

It's important that context is made clear and generalisations avoided, for the sake of clarity

The communication thing has always been a problem at football clubs, not just Dale. It’s actually quite remarkable that clubs don’t acknowledge it as a problem across the game.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:26 - Mar 23 with 2567 viewsjudd

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:21 - Mar 23 by 442Dale

The communication thing has always been a problem at football clubs, not just Dale. It’s actually quite remarkable that clubs don’t acknowledge it as a problem across the game.

But they do, it's why we have MOUs.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:42 - Mar 23 with 2528 viewsD_Alien

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:21 - Mar 23 by 442Dale

Perhaps there's not enough limelight, locally, to feel comfortable about speaking eloquently?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:45 - Mar 23 with 2516 viewsjudd

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:42 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

Perhaps there's not enough limelight, locally, to feel comfortable about speaking eloquently?

Peas off

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:59 - Mar 23 with 2475 viewsjudd

"Heavily in debt"

Obviously we have the pitch bill and RMBC loan, but can anyone else remember the other financial loans mentioned at the forum?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 21:48 - Mar 23 with 2366 viewsDalenet

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 20:59 - Mar 23 by judd

"Heavily in debt"

Obviously we have the pitch bill and RMBC loan, but can anyone else remember the other financial loans mentioned at the forum?

didn't Mr P say we have borrowed from the EFL and had made arrangements on PAYE....although it wasn't made clear whether that was normal practice for all clubs at this stage of the pandemic or whether it was a serious cap in hand approach to help with cashflow.
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 21:52 - Mar 23 with 2352 viewsjudd

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 21:48 - Mar 23 by Dalenet

didn't Mr P say we have borrowed from the EFL and had made arrangements on PAYE....although it wasn't made clear whether that was normal practice for all clubs at this stage of the pandemic or whether it was a serious cap in hand approach to help with cashflow.

I can't remember the details, sorry.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 23:05 - Mar 24 with 1951 viewsjudd

I have to say that, upon reflection, this article is the cleverest , most telling forensic expression of factually based opinion in defining the San Andreas fault line causing our crumbling structure.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 03:40 - Mar 26 with 1691 viewsJames1980

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 21:48 - Mar 23 by Dalenet

Wasn't there a comment about possibly having to get emergency funding from the EFL but that would be a last resort because of sanctions like one in one out transfers.

Has this part of Inside the Boardroom not been so well received because it dared to state DB is a passionate Rochdale fan and doesn't demand his removal from the club?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 06:30 - Mar 26 with 1657 viewspioneer

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 03:40 - Mar 26 by James1980

Wasn't there a comment about possibly having to get emergency funding from the EFL but that would be a last resort because of sanctions like one in one out transfers.

Has this part of Inside the Boardroom not been so well received because it dared to state DB is a passionate Rochdale fan and doesn't demand his removal from the club?

Not at all. Being a passionate fan is not a criteria being a good CEO. There is a lot of passion on this board but I dont expect many would want to apply for the job and I would hope none of them would get it. Being a passionate fan could get in the way of doing what a good CEO might have to do.

I think the problem some people have is the lack of competition for the position and possibly the lack of any criteria for the position against which candidates (oops the only candidate?) could be judged.
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 07:29 - Mar 26 with 1617 viewsJames1980

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 06:30 - Mar 26 by pioneer

Not at all. Being a passionate fan is not a criteria being a good CEO. There is a lot of passion on this board but I dont expect many would want to apply for the job and I would hope none of them would get it. Being a passionate fan could get in the way of doing what a good CEO might have to do.

I think the problem some people have is the lack of competition for the position and possibly the lack of any criteria for the position against which candidates (oops the only candidate?) could be judged.

I am not saying there are no problems clearly there are but I am starting to think (sorry I'm not going to stop, it's all I have in my life) nothing they can do is right and it will be met with derision and or suspicion. It seems the only things that will receive a truly positive response are the tearing up of two contracts.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:06 - Mar 26 with 1586 viewsjudd

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 03:40 - Mar 26 by James1980

Because it hasn't attracted that much comment does not necessarily reflect on how this part of the overall article has been received.

If an emanant journalist with gravitas in my particular industry said that he "believes he is taking the club into the modern age...", and could only describe me as being passionate and working long hours without citing ONE single positive achievement in my tenure, then I would be a tad concerned. (Don't forget that this journalist cites one of the criticisms of the CE of being a southerner as perhaps being unwarranted.)

If I was described as talkative, not knowing what was on or off the record, might be easy to manipulate, take deflected pride in association, I would be looking over my shoulder, not issuing that pile of crap that hit doormats and inboxes yesterday.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:19 - Mar 26 with 1569 views442Dale

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 07:29 - Mar 26 by James1980

I am not saying there are no problems clearly there are but I am starting to think (sorry I'm not going to stop, it's all I have in my life) nothing they can do is right and it will be met with derision and or suspicion. It seems the only things that will receive a truly positive response are the tearing up of two contracts.

For me it has nothing to do with individuals or personalities, it’s about a culture. One which has needed to change for a very long time as mentioned previously.

As noted in the Trust statement on the 15th:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/03/trust-update-15-03-21/
<<“ For many, this will require actions rather than words, and its success will only be judged in the long term.”>>

So, as an example, also from the Trust, their statement on the 21st:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/03/meeting-report-19-3-21/
<<“ We raised the issue of the extension of Brian Barry-Murphy’s contract and the way it was announced at the forum with it coming across to those watching the forum like a Club Director didn’t know the answer to the question. We were assured this was not the case (and this had been a “genuine mix up” with the answer). The Club discussed this with us and informed us that they had already prepared a response to Supporters with regard to when the contract was signed and the reasons behind the delay in announcing it and would be contacting Supporters early in the next week.”>>

It was Thursday. It’s the little things.

Also, it’s should be noted that the open letter has been signed by the “Board of Directors”. It therefore is a collective statement from them all. Therefore any unanswered questions should be directed at them, and the club, as an entirety. Which they will welcome as they admit communication can get better.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:30 - Mar 26 with 1551 viewsR17ALE

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:06 - Mar 26 by judd

Because it hasn't attracted that much comment does not necessarily reflect on how this part of the overall article has been received.

If an emanant journalist with gravitas in my particular industry said that he "believes he is taking the club into the modern age...", and could only describe me as being passionate and working long hours without citing ONE single positive achievement in my tenure, then I would be a tad concerned. (Don't forget that this journalist cites one of the criticisms of the CE of being a southerner as perhaps being unwarranted.)

If I was described as talkative, not knowing what was on or off the record, might be easy to manipulate, take deflected pride in association, I would be looking over my shoulder, not issuing that pile of crap that hit doormats and inboxes yesterday.

The CE might be from Rochdale, but, and I urge anyone reading to think this through carefully, he's not of Rochdale.

There's a chasm in that remark which I hope isn't lost on anyone.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 10:05 - Mar 26 with 1444 viewsJames1980

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:19 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

For me it has nothing to do with individuals or personalities, it’s about a culture. One which has needed to change for a very long time as mentioned previously.

As noted in the Trust statement on the 15th:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/03/trust-update-15-03-21/
<<“ For many, this will require actions rather than words, and its success will only be judged in the long term.”>>

So, as an example, also from the Trust, their statement on the 21st:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/03/meeting-report-19-3-21/
<<“ We raised the issue of the extension of Brian Barry-Murphy’s contract and the way it was announced at the forum with it coming across to those watching the forum like a Club Director didn’t know the answer to the question. We were assured this was not the case (and this had been a “genuine mix up” with the answer). The Club discussed this with us and informed us that they had already prepared a response to Supporters with regard to when the contract was signed and the reasons behind the delay in announcing it and would be contacting Supporters early in the next week.”>>

It was Thursday. It’s the little things.

Also, it’s should be noted that the open letter has been signed by the “Board of Directors”. It therefore is a collective statement from them all. Therefore any unanswered questions should be directed at them, and the club, as an entirety. Which they will welcome as they admit communication can get better.

Perhaps the statement re BBM's contract was prepared for release earlier in the week but they decided on 'the letter' instead which clearly has backfired.

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 10:19 - Mar 26 with 1430 viewsHK_Dale

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 10:05 - Mar 26 by James1980

Perhaps the statement re BBM's contract was prepared for release earlier in the week but they decided on 'the letter' instead which clearly has backfired.

I can't tell if you are continually playing the role of devils advocate to foster debate or you genuinely think the board and CEO are doing things right?

As 442 has pointed out a number of times, they can't even seem to stick to their own conclusions that communication needs to be remedied. There is very little substantive communication that comes from the board and CEO. All we seem to get are platitudes and soundbites that regurgitate the same information or are blindingly obvious.

All of this fuels the narrative that they either don't know what's required or don't care about fostering a good relationship with their stakeholders.

By their own admission in previous statements - actions speak louder than words...
Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 10:25 - Mar 26 with 1425 viewsdawlishdale

Mark Hodkinson: Inside the Boardroom Pt. III on 08:30 - Mar 26 by R17ALE

The CE might be from Rochdale, but, and I urge anyone reading to think this through carefully, he's not of Rochdale.

There's a chasm in that remark which I hope isn't lost on anyone.

This has been blindingly obvious since "chair gate" at an Exiles game, when he made rather a tit of himself. But sadly; it's been repeated ad nauseum ever since in an ever growing list of bad business decisions.

Seldom have I witnessed a man so out of touch with his surroundings. It's a wonder he wasn't physically attacked. I think some other posters on here witnessed it, and great credit to the Trust bods for rescuing what could have been a disaster of a day.

it is sadly no wonder that he isn't accepted by the vast majority of Rochdale folk. he has the mindset of someone from a completely different area.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024