Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester 17:40 - Mar 25 with 12699 views442Dale

Anyone hear the full interview before the game?

They played a clip not long ago, saying there would be a total review of our football operations.

Oh yeah? Fancy giving us more detailed information via the club’s own media channels rather than random interviews on the radio?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 17:45 - Mar 25 with 6610 viewsSandyman

It'll be in the pre-match programme here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f7gkzr
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 17:52 - Mar 25 with 6540 views442Dale

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 17:45 - Mar 25 by Sandyman

It'll be in the pre-match programme here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f7gkzr

Ta. It’s nine minutes in.

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 17:57 - Mar 25 with 6490 views442Dale

First thoughts, why does he feel that just because they’ve appointed two managers who have failed that having a “committee” approach is better?

Not sure why anyone ever bothered with “fan owned”, it should have been apparent very early on if it wasn’t feasible and it should have been made crystal clear last summer when budgets etc were drawn up.

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:06 - Mar 25 with 6428 viewsfourfourtwo

On another thread I’ve just asked where is Gauge. Having just listened to that I wished he’d kept his mouth shut. What an utterly appalling, negative interview. It’s no wonder we are when we are with people like this steering the ship, Christ almighty.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:24 - Mar 25 with 6271 viewselectricblue

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 17:57 - Mar 25 by 442Dale

First thoughts, why does he feel that just because they’ve appointed two managers who have failed that having a “committee” approach is better?

Not sure why anyone ever bothered with “fan owned”, it should have been apparent very early on if it wasn’t feasible and it should have been made crystal clear last summer when budgets etc were drawn up.

A committee approach.
Im sure i heard Simon say that the board will take some of running the football side away from the manager...
An inexperienced board running the club are now looking into running some of the football aspects...
That in my eyes will be a disaster, emoy somebody who as the experience for christs sake.....

The board are still talking to potential investors but due to the current stituation nothing will likely happen until the summer when the club know which league they playing in...

Interestingly he also said that clubs in the NL are losing a million a season which are similarities to what Dale forecast to lose...

Hindsight they could have curtailed the summer spending and the board was not happy with stockdale and his recruitment.....
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 18:27]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:28 - Mar 25 with 6244 viewsHullDale

For all of the dead wood the board have cleared out, & the reporting & accounting they have put in place, off the field performance is at least as bad as it was under previous regimes.

If its true that the BoD are now looking to run some of the football side too, we're in an even worse position than I thought.

Chaff, with his FM research, is arguably more qualified on football matters!
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:32 - Mar 25 with 6213 views442Dale

Where’s the evidence that a change in approach is better suited to Rochdale?

What are the cost implications to the football budget if other roles are involved on that side of the club?

Who would be the people involved in any such “committee”? (Presumably certain levels of experience would be required rather than thinking you know about football)

The last few years apart, what was wrong with the Rochdale model which involved a manager having the control to create a footballing culture with support from the boardroom to do so?

Or, on the last point, was it all just a happy accident?

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:32 - Mar 25 with 6202 viewsSaxonDale

It isn’t down to ‘fine margins’ that we are where we are. We simply have been absolutely nowhere near good enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:33 - Mar 25 with 6188 viewsD_Alien

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:06 - Mar 25 by fourfourtwo

On another thread I’ve just asked where is Gauge. Having just listened to that I wished he’d kept his mouth shut. What an utterly appalling, negative interview. It’s no wonder we are when we are with people like this steering the ship, Christ almighty.

Negativity clearly isn't the way forward, is it?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:36 - Mar 25 with 6163 viewsRodingdale

On listening my take on the Gauge interview:

The interview questions were better than the usual.
‘We are where we are - due to poor recruitment last summer, solution is to change the way we recruit. Yet in January the problem was lack of proper training facilities…
‘We’ve been unlucky, should have had penalties etc - he’s buying Bentleys line. It’s a tough division? Is it, most teams look competent, not brilliant; we have been incompetent. Dropping O’Donnell for example a decision nothing to do with luck. Brierley episode and decision, nothing to do with luck.
‘We are losing money - starting to grind this one, despite countless ideas - we do what we always did - and expect a different outcome. We need to drive margin out of every activity, not accept we lose money - no investor will just put money in on the basis they will lose it. We still can’t be arsed to change the fixture board for days after matches, a small point but symptomatic. No CRM?
Basically he doesn’t have a plan, except to sell up.
He sounds like he’s hoping for the best with the rest of the season -“ we’re still fighting” - but he said that in Jan and we haven’t apart from very sporadically. Today was garbage.
Todays game was arguably the biggest in our history and that interview was meek, meek and pathetic - we were beat before we started today and it started from the top.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:36 - Mar 25 with 6161 views442Dale

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:28 - Mar 25 by HullDale

For all of the dead wood the board have cleared out, & the reporting & accounting they have put in place, off the field performance is at least as bad as it was under previous regimes.

If its true that the BoD are now looking to run some of the football side too, we're in an even worse position than I thought.

Chaff, with his FM research, is arguably more qualified on football matters!

I hope you’re not jesting on the last line of your post. Because, with no sense of sarcasm at all, I’d gladly have Chaff involved in any committee ahead of anyone currently at the club.

People either know football, or they don’t. And it’s obvious in both cases.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 18:37]

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 19:23 - Mar 25 with 5929 viewsscooby

Seems obvious that Simon is not friends with EBJ but not willing to take the hit. Wonder if he’ll ask him to resign again…

The board are now starting to show how inexperienced in football they are and I’m starting to think / accept they are a massive part of the problem.

All this crap about penalties etc, it’s playing the victim game. “We’re not looking for excuses or hiding, but we should have had a loads of penalties previously”. Shut up, move on, own the dross you’re serving up. Accept you’re the problem

As Fitz said on Twitter, a massive reorg from to bottom is the only answer and yes, the BoD got us out of the takeover mess, but they’re now doing more damage to club in this current day.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 19:57 - Mar 25 with 5777 viewsEllDale

Given some of the penalty kicks we’ve seen this year eg Quigley versus Leyton Orient and Rodney at Bradford there’s no guarantee we’d have scored if we’d been awarded a few more.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:12 - Mar 25 with 5699 viewsNigelWatson

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 19:23 - Mar 25 by scooby

Seems obvious that Simon is not friends with EBJ but not willing to take the hit. Wonder if he’ll ask him to resign again…

The board are now starting to show how inexperienced in football they are and I’m starting to think / accept they are a massive part of the problem.

All this crap about penalties etc, it’s playing the victim game. “We’re not looking for excuses or hiding, but we should have had a loads of penalties previously”. Shut up, move on, own the dross you’re serving up. Accept you’re the problem

As Fitz said on Twitter, a massive reorg from to bottom is the only answer and yes, the BoD got us out of the takeover mess, but they’re now doing more damage to club in this current day.

We will need to do a slash and burn on all the admin, pen-pushers, general admin, With lower crowds it's imperative that the club cuts it's fixed costs. The last thing that should go is the youth set-up, because that's the clubs future and a vital source of income if needs be.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:16 - Mar 25 with 5662 viewsEllDale

I’m not too sure that the crowds would be much lower - to start with.
And I suspect that a lot of Academy funding comes courtesy of the EFL?
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:22 - Mar 25 with 5623 viewsDalenet

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:16 - Mar 25 by EllDale

I’m not too sure that the crowds would be much lower - to start with.
And I suspect that a lot of Academy funding comes courtesy of the EFL?

Even if you were right, and I am not convinced, we can't charge £24 in the National League. So the gate receipts will be down.

We have to go back to basics. I'd transfer list the whole squad tomorrow with the exception of Brierley and Mularky. They'd be in the shop window and some just might pull their socks up. We can't afford those on contracts next year, so unless their contracts include salary cuts in a relegation, we need to move them on. And if they don't like it, put the youth team out. The damage is done now and we need to plan for the future
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:38 - Mar 25 with 5518 viewspioneer

“Unlucky…..fine margins……we are in the fight….we need a committee approach to football decisions”…I could go on.

His proposed solution…..appoint more football staff ….so they can get two appointments badly wrong instead of one.

The board, together with the shareholders and supporters, deserve great credit for what they did to avoid the takeover…..but lets face it we have become a fan run club (as opposed to a fan owned club) and it has been a disaster.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:52 - Mar 25 with 5439 viewsD_Alien

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:38 - Mar 25 by pioneer

“Unlucky…..fine margins……we are in the fight….we need a committee approach to football decisions”…I could go on.

His proposed solution…..appoint more football staff ….so they can get two appointments badly wrong instead of one.

The board, together with the shareholders and supporters, deserve great credit for what they did to avoid the takeover…..but lets face it we have become a fan run club (as opposed to a fan owned club) and it has been a disaster.

There's a great deal of truth in that

When SG and his fellow directors put their personal finances on the line to save the club in its hour of need, we were all so grateful that none of us looked at this as they portrayed themselves - a group of fans, with some business experience but nothing in terms of footballing experience

People who now disrespect them, and the obvious mistakes they've made, should be fully aware of this, but still the expletives keep coming

Their managerial appointments were made in all good faith. They didn't work, but we're also seeing expletives and childish name-calling directed at Jim Bentley, who hasn't been able to turn the team round but has been doing his level best and doesn't deserve abuse for his efforts. We can all point to mistakes in team selection, but does that deserve being called a c**t?

A complete reset is needed, and the forthcoming meetings are an opportunity for fans to put positive points forward. It's all we can do, right now, since we're not in a position to call the shots

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:59 - Mar 25 with 5392 views442Dale

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 20:52 - Mar 25 by D_Alien

There's a great deal of truth in that

When SG and his fellow directors put their personal finances on the line to save the club in its hour of need, we were all so grateful that none of us looked at this as they portrayed themselves - a group of fans, with some business experience but nothing in terms of footballing experience

People who now disrespect them, and the obvious mistakes they've made, should be fully aware of this, but still the expletives keep coming

Their managerial appointments were made in all good faith. They didn't work, but we're also seeing expletives and childish name-calling directed at Jim Bentley, who hasn't been able to turn the team round but has been doing his level best and doesn't deserve abuse for his efforts. We can all point to mistakes in team selection, but does that deserve being called a c**t?

A complete reset is needed, and the forthcoming meetings are an opportunity for fans to put positive points forward. It's all we can do, right now, since we're not in a position to call the shots

We really aren’t in that position.

Yet those who are are talking about football structures and committees to the media, and it’s really not giving any context or proper explanation to those who really should at least be given the chance to understand. The fans.

Today’s result was disastrous and beyond disappointing, yet the ‘communications’ about our club actually managed to surpass it on the scale of bloody awfulness.

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 21:41 - Mar 25 with 5170 views49thseason

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 18:36 - Mar 25 by 442Dale

I hope you’re not jesting on the last line of your post. Because, with no sense of sarcasm at all, I’d gladly have Chaff involved in any committee ahead of anyone currently at the club.

People either know football, or they don’t. And it’s obvious in both cases.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 18:37]

Equally Football is a business although you would never guess that from the number of clubs who rely on a wealthy individual to bail them out each season.

Our BoD are not short of business nous but the club has been let down by so-called professionals in all sorts of positions over the years. If they can get the finances on an even keel, the footballing aspect gets much much easier. If they need an DoF, good, they have recognised a weakness and seek to fix it. Maybe there will be more flexible contracts in future where we are cannot be held to financial ransom, who knows, but we cannot continue to lose money every week and expect to put fantastic teams on the pitch. So everyone has to up their game, players, staff, fans, sponsors the Trust , RMBC etc. etc.

But... time is limited the club has to get its commercial act together now. Waiting for summer is too late, That's where we need the transparency if we are going to help them. They need to open the dialogue and be honest about where we are going.

Today was a bad day , I feel sickened by the performance and its likely outcome, but we have to improve first by acknowledging much is wrong and then by replacing it with better people, better ideas. better everything and have the willpower to see them to completion.

As others have commented, doing what we have always done and expecting different outcomes is futile. Its time for a complete makeover of the whole club , on and off the pitch. We have 7000 empty seats, filling them would be our salvation. lets put our collective brainpower into fixing that problem first and foremost.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 21:54 - Mar 25 with 5123 viewsJames1980

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 21:41 - Mar 25 by 49thseason

Equally Football is a business although you would never guess that from the number of clubs who rely on a wealthy individual to bail them out each season.

Our BoD are not short of business nous but the club has been let down by so-called professionals in all sorts of positions over the years. If they can get the finances on an even keel, the footballing aspect gets much much easier. If they need an DoF, good, they have recognised a weakness and seek to fix it. Maybe there will be more flexible contracts in future where we are cannot be held to financial ransom, who knows, but we cannot continue to lose money every week and expect to put fantastic teams on the pitch. So everyone has to up their game, players, staff, fans, sponsors the Trust , RMBC etc. etc.

But... time is limited the club has to get its commercial act together now. Waiting for summer is too late, That's where we need the transparency if we are going to help them. They need to open the dialogue and be honest about where we are going.

Today was a bad day , I feel sickened by the performance and its likely outcome, but we have to improve first by acknowledging much is wrong and then by replacing it with better people, better ideas. better everything and have the willpower to see them to completion.

As others have commented, doing what we have always done and expecting different outcomes is futile. Its time for a complete makeover of the whole club , on and off the pitch. We have 7000 empty seats, filling them would be our salvation. lets put our collective brainpower into fixing that problem first and foremost.

Other than the quality of the football why do folk in the borough not go to games at Spotland?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:13 - Mar 25 with 5058 views49thseason

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 21:54 - Mar 25 by James1980

Other than the quality of the football why do folk in the borough not go to games at Spotland?

Easy, they have been let down too many times in the past. Big clubs have won things, they have heroes to tell stories about, internationals galore. Going to the match is embedded in their DNA. We have never won anything. its always been "after the Lord Mayors show" (you know, all that's left is manure). They have always managed to disappoint one way or another. get a brilliant win away on Saturday, lose 3-0 at home on Tuesday and vice versa.
People just were either never interested or got fed up and found something else to do, those who remained (me) have a screw loose.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:18 - Mar 25 with 5023 viewsJames1980

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:13 - Mar 25 by 49thseason

Easy, they have been let down too many times in the past. Big clubs have won things, they have heroes to tell stories about, internationals galore. Going to the match is embedded in their DNA. We have never won anything. its always been "after the Lord Mayors show" (you know, all that's left is manure). They have always managed to disappoint one way or another. get a brilliant win away on Saturday, lose 3-0 at home on Tuesday and vice versa.
People just were either never interested or got fed up and found something else to do, those who remained (me) have a screw loose.

So mostly about the product on the pitch? Mostly

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:20 - Mar 25 with 5015 viewsnordenblue

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:18 - Mar 25 by James1980

So mostly about the product on the pitch? Mostly

There's a load of reasons not to attend and not many reasons to actually turn up and pay.
Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:24 - Mar 25 with 4992 viewsJames1980

Simon Gauge on Radio Manchester on 22:20 - Mar 25 by nordenblue

There's a load of reasons not to attend and not many reasons to actually turn up and pay.

How do the scales tip?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024