Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chesterfield thread 17:30 - Aug 17 with 14241 viewsTommoRAFC

I thought we played well today, was fearing the worst with Rafferty up against the likes of Roberts but he did well to be fair to him. First half hour we was lucky to even be still competing thanks to another top save by Lillis, the rest of the half it was astonishing they still had 11 men on the pitch.

Second half I thought we were slightly the better side and although Hogan was man of the match... Both wingers were brilliant today for us,putting a shift and a half in to stop us getting overun by the best attack in this division (on paper anyway.)

Ratings:

Lillis 8
Rafferty 7
Lancashire 6
O'Connell 7
Rose 7
Vincenti 7
Tutte 6
Lund 7
Henderson 7
Hogan 8
Donnelly 6
-
Done 6
Bennett 6
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 18:01]

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

Chesterfield thread on 17:39 - Aug 17 with 6055 viewsShun

Really really good match (games always seem more exciting in weather like today!). Chesterfield were just as impressive as we all expected them to be. Their front two of Roberts and Richards will scare any side, and their first goal was really well worked.

Does Hogan only ever score joga bonito goals? A truly classy goal today, well done, Scotty! My MOMs were Lillis and Lund.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 17:43]
Chesterfield thread on 17:44 - Aug 17 with 5992 viewsolympicdale

Chesterfield thread on 17:39 - Aug 17 by Shun

Really really good match (games always seem more exciting in weather like today!). Chesterfield were just as impressive as we all expected them to be. Their front two of Roberts and Richards will scare any side, and their first goal was really well worked.

Does Hogan only ever score joga bonito goals? A truly classy goal today, well done, Scotty! My MOMs were Lillis and Lund.

I really like the look of Lund, he's making sure we are not missing JK, and also gives us that attacking aspect that Kennedy never seemed to.

Life is a game of fate.

Chesterfield thread on 17:45 - Aug 17 with 5986 views442Dale

Chesterfield were a class apart until the penalties. Roberts is far too good for this division and his pass for the first was as good as anything you'll see at any level. It was noted though that they're not great defensively and they lost it big time with the penalties, and by the second half we were the ones creating all the problems with Ryan Edwards being predictably all at sea. One bad choice by Henderson in the middle of the park gave them their equaliser and in the end a draw was a fair result.

And now to the elephant in the room...

George Donnelly is not the man to play as the focal point at centre forward. He doesn't hold it up consistently (one example led to a late attack for C'field which they wasted by blazing over), he doesn't read the game well enough both on and off the ball (the time he came inside and ignored Henderson to his left was beyond frustrating) and he doesn't offer an option as an 'out ball' unless it's in behind defenders. This isn't saying he won't have a role to play alongside a main striker or off the bench, but he isn't the man for the current position he's playing, no matter how much running about he does.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Chesterfield thread on 17:50 - Aug 17 with 5938 viewsolympicdale

Chesterfield thread on 17:45 - Aug 17 by 442Dale

Chesterfield were a class apart until the penalties. Roberts is far too good for this division and his pass for the first was as good as anything you'll see at any level. It was noted though that they're not great defensively and they lost it big time with the penalties, and by the second half we were the ones creating all the problems with Ryan Edwards being predictably all at sea. One bad choice by Henderson in the middle of the park gave them their equaliser and in the end a draw was a fair result.

And now to the elephant in the room...

George Donnelly is not the man to play as the focal point at centre forward. He doesn't hold it up consistently (one example led to a late attack for C'field which they wasted by blazing over), he doesn't read the game well enough both on and off the ball (the time he came inside and ignored Henderson to his left was beyond frustrating) and he doesn't offer an option as an 'out ball' unless it's in behind defenders. This isn't saying he won't have a role to play alongside a main striker or off the bench, but he isn't the man for the current position he's playing, no matter how much running about he does.

We're in desperate need of a striker to work with Hogan, whether this be Georgie or someone else, but we do need someone to supply the knock downs etc for Hogan, the focal point of our attack. Georgie did try to adapt this to his game shortly before Hogan went off and they do seem to have a decent understanding together. I would be prepared to go with this front pair for at least 10/12 games and go from there if required to bring in someone else. George can perform better than he did today.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 17:51]

Life is a game of fate.

Chesterfield thread on 17:50 - Aug 17 with 5932 viewsD_Alien

First sight of Dale 2013/14, and well impressed!

Just before the penalties, Chesterfield were on top and I wasn't expecting a result at that point, but we showed great character in battling ourselves back into the game and for a period either side of half time looked every bit as good as an expensively-assembled side who will almost certainly finish in the top three. That puts us in the frame for a playoff place at least.

But jeez... how did Scott Hogan not sign for a championship club? The lad is pure class and way too good for L2. I pray we can hang on to him for long enough to make a difference to our season.

Overall, thought we looked solid enough against a pacy outfit who moved the ball around to a standard we won't encounter much at all, and in the end we matched them.

Pleased to see Rhys Bennett making a comeback. Rafferty worked extremely hard and was done in after 80 minutes, so a great move by Hilly to bring on Rhys. Looking forward to this season even more now, and with players like Done coming off the bench there's a lot more to come from this side.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Chesterfield thread on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 5876 viewsmaybee

Firstly, it has to be said that we saw a cracking game today...Chesterfield looked a class above any of the teams we faced in pre-season and in other games to date.
They set off playing some lovely football, and took the lead thanks to a very good cross that fell between our centre backs.
All credit to us...we stuck to it, and came into the half more and more as it progressed.
First penalty looked borderline in or out of the area, but the second one looked clear cut, despite their bench going mental. Sam Hird in particular can count himself lucky not to have been sent off for a series of fouls.

In the second half, another superb goal from Scott Hogan edged us in front, and we looked much more comfortable. Shame therefore that a mistake from Henderson led to a well taken equaliser for them, but in all honesty, a draw was probably the right result.

Hogan rightly mom for us again, but Lillis pushed him very close.

Best midfield player I've seen here for a few years...Jimmy Ryan. Everything went through him.

Thoroughly good game.
Chesterfield thread on 17:59 - Aug 17 with 5819 viewsAtThePeake

Chesterfield thread on 17:39 - Aug 17 by Shun

He's the Gareth Bale of League 2!

Yeah great game again today. Two good sides and a good marker of where we are at, as we matched them for large periods of the game. Important to remember that we were missing Cavanagh today to break up their play, and the majority of teams in this league don't have players like O'Shea, Richards and Roberts to punish us like they did.

Very encouraged by today. Think we're gonna be really hard to beat at home this season.

Marks:
Lillis - 7
Rafferty - 6
Lancashire - 7
O'Connell - 6
Rose - 6
Lund - 8
Tutte - 6
Henderson - 7
Hogan - 8
Vincenti - 6
Donnelly - 6

Tangled up in blue.

Chesterfield thread on 18:05 - Aug 17 with 5766 viewsolympicdale

Chesterfield thread on 17:50 - Aug 17 by D_Alien

Just before the penalties, Chesterfield were on top and I wasn't expecting a result at that point, but we showed great character in battling ourselves back into the game and for a period either side of half time looked every bit as good as an expensively-assembled side who will almost certainly finish in the top three. That puts us in the frame for a playoff place at least.

But jeez... how did Scott Hogan not sign for a championship club? The lad is pure class and way too good for L2. I pray we can hang on to him for long enough to make a difference to our season.

Overall, thought we looked solid enough against a pacy outfit who moved the ball around to a standard we won't encounter much at all, and in the end we matched them.

Pleased to see Rhys Bennett making a comeback. Rafferty worked extremely hard and was done in after 80 minutes, so a great move by Hilly to bring on Rhys. Looking forward to this season even more now, and with players like Done coming off the bench there's a lot more to come from this side.

Didnt we say that about Grimes against Chesterfield not two seasons also, hope we can keep hold of him etc etc....

Why is it when we get a player with any bit of class we're automatically trying to flog him, i love watching him play, but my first thought isn't automatically 'oh I hope we can keep him', only at Dale.

The lad has a great first touch and his awareness is class, he seems to have a great understanding with Henderson too, I think he has the potential to be our 15-20 goal a season man.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 18:10]

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

Chesterfield thread on 18:08 - Aug 17 with 5717 viewsD_Alien

Chesterfield thread on 18:05 - Aug 17 by olympicdale

Didnt we say that about Grimes against Chesterfield not two seasons also, hope we can keep hold of him etc etc....

Why is it when we get a player with any bit of class we're automatically trying to flog him, i love watching him play, but my first thought isn't automatically 'oh I hope we can keep him', only at Dale.

The lad has a great first touch and his awareness is class, he seems to have a great understanding with Henderson too, I think he has the potential to be our 15-20 goal a season man.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 18:10]

My first sighting of OD 2013/14 and I'm not impressed

Not at all sure what Grimes has got to do with this, but any watching scouts (or anyone watching Goals Express / TFLS) will see that Hogan's not going to be playing in L2 next season. I do hope he's still with us then.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 18:14]

Chesterfield thread on 18:13 - Aug 17 with 5677 viewsolympicdale

Chesterfield thread on 18:08 - Aug 17 by D_Alien

My first sighting of OD 2013/14 and I'm not impressed

Not at all sure what Grimes has got to do with this, but any watching scouts (or anyone watching Goals Express / TFLS) will see that Hogan's not going to be playing in L2 next season. I do hope he's still with us then.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2013 18:14]

You know you love me

Just annoys me when we get any player who can actually do something right, some fans first thought is how log can we keep them for, guess it's just the rochdale way.

Life is a game of fate.

Chesterfield thread on 18:18 - Aug 17 with 5635 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Chesterfield thread on 17:50 - Aug 17 by D_Alien

.....in reference to your first point,where were all our fans today?

Very sparse in the Sandy........should n't be missing games like this!
Chesterfield thread on 18:18 - Aug 17 with 5633 viewsdale_spotland

Chesterfield thread on 18:13 - Aug 17 by olympicdale

You know you love me

Just annoys me when we get any player who can actually do something right, some fans first thought is how log can we keep them for, guess it's just the rochdale way.

More the league 2 way, not just rochdale.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Chesterfield thread on 18:20 - Aug 17 with 5609 viewsYorkshire_Dale

......in reference to your last point,did not think Done did much today,but and it's a big but ,he was n't helped by a poor Referee.
Chesterfield thread on 18:21 - Aug 17 with 5601 viewsD_Alien

Chesterfield thread on 18:18 - Aug 17 by Yorkshire_Dale

.....in reference to your first point,where were all our fans today?

Very sparse in the Sandy........should n't be missing games like this!

Good point

I was pleasantly surprised we topped 3000 in our first game, but I expect we attracted some of the armchair fans who weren't able to get their premiership fix. Today's gate was possibly more a true reflection of our fanbase, but if we keep playing like that it'll grow.

Chesterfield thread on 18:23 - Aug 17 with 5588 viewsolympicdale

Chesterfield thread on 18:18 - Aug 17 by dale_spotland

More the league 2 way, not just rochdale.

yea after maybe 30 games not 3!, seems to be how football is now, everything has to be instant.

Life is a game of fate.

Chesterfield thread on 20:22 - Aug 17 with 5138 viewsBartRowou

George Donnelly had a poor game today but he ran around a lot and huffed and puffed which means this will get glossed over again. A large number of their attacks stemmed from him losing out to their centre halves and their very impressive midfield picking up second phase balls. We have a lot of quality in our side but don't see it consistently because it's not sticking up top.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Chesterfield thread on 20:36 - Aug 17 with 5062 viewsSalwaDale

Great game today, absolutely loved it. To me that is what I go to watch football for. Promotions etc. are nice but I want to be entertained.

Thought they had some superb players, mainly Gary Roberts. Just found that bit of space to set up the first, although Tutte didn't get close enough to pressure the pass.

As for Donnelly, a lot of his work helped create space for Hogan. His decision making poor at times again, but if that bit of his game can improve he'll be more than good enough. I do think it would be hard to find someone better and I'm probably happy with what we've got up top. Look forward to Done getting back fully, cos he's not there yet.

At least one win from the two away games needed to make it a good start to the season. Then it's the gigglers.

TBBT

Chesterfield thread on 20:47 - Aug 17 with 5011 views442Dale

Chesterfield thread on 20:36 - Aug 17 by SalwaDale

Great game today, absolutely loved it. To me that is what I go to watch football for. Promotions etc. are nice but I want to be entertained.

Thought they had some superb players, mainly Gary Roberts. Just found that bit of space to set up the first, although Tutte didn't get close enough to pressure the pass.

As for Donnelly, a lot of his work helped create space for Hogan. His decision making poor at times again, but if that bit of his game can improve he'll be more than good enough. I do think it would be hard to find someone better and I'm probably happy with what we've got up top. Look forward to Done getting back fully, cos he's not there yet.

At least one win from the two away games needed to make it a good start to the season. Then it's the gigglers.

Donnelly would be better if a centre forward was holding it up and making space for him. The role he's playing at present requires the basics of clever movement, ball retention and effective decision making.

It doesn't mean we need COG up there because even smaller players have the attributes to lead the line, but we need to be able to rely on the vast percentage of balls being played into a central focal point not seeing possession conceded.

Chesterfield thread on 20:50 - Aug 17 with 4990 viewsSalwaDale

Chesterfield thread on 20:47 - Aug 17 by 442Dale

Donnelly would be better if a centre forward was holding it up and making space for him. The role he's playing at present requires the basics of clever movement, ball retention and effective decision making.

It doesn't mean we need COG up there because even smaller players have the attributes to lead the line, but we need to be able to rely on the vast percentage of balls being played into a central focal point not seeing possession conceded.

Not disagreeing and would happily see a better player signed. However, not sure we can get one who has all those attributes but contributes to the whole a little less than George.

TBBT

Chesterfield thread on 20:57 - Aug 17 with 4948 viewsTalkingSutty

Chesterfield thread on 17:54 - Aug 17 by maybee

Firstly, it has to be said that we saw a cracking game today...Chesterfield looked a class above any of the teams we faced in pre-season and in other games to date.
They set off playing some lovely football, and took the lead thanks to a very good cross that fell between our centre backs.
All credit to us...we stuck to it, and came into the half more and more as it progressed.
First penalty looked borderline in or out of the area, but the second one looked clear cut, despite their bench going mental. Sam Hird in particular can count himself lucky not to have been sent off for a series of fouls.

In the second half, another superb goal from Scott Hogan edged us in front, and we looked much more comfortable. Shame therefore that a mistake from Henderson led to a well taken equaliser for them, but in all honesty, a draw was probably the right result.

Hogan rightly mom for us again, but Lillis pushed him very close.

Best midfield player I've seen here for a few years...Jimmy Ryan. Everything went through him.

Thoroughly good game.

Agree with most of that, from my position in the TDS i thought the first penalty was nailed on and was certainly just inside the penalty box, the second could have gone either way but it was no surprise that it was awarded.

I am going to stick up for Donnelly today because in the past i have outlined his limitations but that lad worked his nuts off today and gave their defence plenty to think about. He missed the penalty but showed his character by putting in a good peformance.

I think he is worthy of a place in and around the starting eleven but see him as a instinctive type of player and standing over a penalty for a minute or two he doesnt inspire me with great confidence.

Special mention for Ollie Lancashire, i believe he captained the team today and he also put in a good performance alongside his central partner. Weak link for me was young Rafferty, i think he loses concentration during games and is often sloppy and lethargic with easy passes (Tutte the same).

Good performance today against a team who seem destined for promotion and we more than matched them which bodes well.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Chesterfield thread on 20:57 - Aug 17 with 4946 viewsboromat

Today was a thoroughly entertaining game! Both teams wanted it and either team could have got 3 points, the draw was very much a fair result. I would hope all 2900 fans went away happy but unfortunately after looking at the Chesterfield forum some of their fans aren't too happy with the draw, I would hope that they weren't at the game otherwise they have no excuse.

Some of the comments about Donnelly are a bit are a bit unfair. Everybody knows he's a confidence player and after missing that penalty he didn't have the best of games. However he never stopped working he ran himself into the ground. He also made a lot of space for Hogan and never let their defence rest.

My MOTM was Lund he was brilliant in the middle. I think the centre of the park was the biggest contest today and without Cavanagh - Tutte and Lund performed admirably with some very hard work. Tutte made a few mistakes and didn't do anything stand out like he is capable of but he did all the basics brilliantly.

Don't think I can afford the trip to Plymouth but I can't wait for Bury!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Chesterfield thread on 20:59 - Aug 17 with 4925 viewsstuartcryer

donnelly is not the answer no matter what the question is .

wardle blue

Chesterfield thread on 21:00 - Aug 17 with 4911 viewsD_Alien

Chesterfield thread on 20:59 - Aug 17 by stuartcryer

donnelly is not the answer no matter what the question is .

Which player could we improve upon by signing someone else?

Chesterfield thread on 21:02 - Aug 17 with 4891 views442Dale

Chesterfield thread on 20:57 - Aug 17 by boromat

Today was a thoroughly entertaining game! Both teams wanted it and either team could have got 3 points, the draw was very much a fair result. I would hope all 2900 fans went away happy but unfortunately after looking at the Chesterfield forum some of their fans aren't too happy with the draw, I would hope that they weren't at the game otherwise they have no excuse.

Some of the comments about Donnelly are a bit are a bit unfair. Everybody knows he's a confidence player and after missing that penalty he didn't have the best of games. However he never stopped working he ran himself into the ground. He also made a lot of space for Hogan and never let their defence rest.

My MOTM was Lund he was brilliant in the middle. I think the centre of the park was the biggest contest today and without Cavanagh - Tutte and Lund performed admirably with some very hard work. Tutte made a few mistakes and didn't do anything stand out like he is capable of but he did all the basics brilliantly.

Don't think I can afford the trip to Plymouth but I can't wait for Bury!

Which comments are unfair? There's nothing personal aimed at Donnelly, just an honest appraisal of his current role and his ability to play it. We know he never stops running, but is that running done effectively?

Chesterfield thread on 21:03 - Aug 17 with 4876 viewsstuartcryer

which player could we not improve by signing some body else ?

wardle blue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024