Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best TV shows 00:19 - Jun 6 with 5532 viewsShun

The Rochdale hooligans thread seemed to be heading this way, so I thought I'd begin a thread on it.

It's all about Game of Thrones for me, simply the best thing on TV. Modern Family and Brooklyn 99 are close seconds. And the recently-finished series about Bear Grylls seeing how a group of 'ordinary' men on a deserted island would cope was quite interesting.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 0:19]
Best TV shows on 00:31 - Jun 6 with 4054 viewsChaffRAFC

Never brought myself to watch Game of Thrones. Just doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy.

True Detective was the best thing I'd seen on TV since Lost which is a big statement given that Lost is, for me, the greatest show to ever grace TV. True Detective was magnificent in every episode.

Hannibal isn't that far behind. Superb show that keeps me gripped every time it's on.

Aside from that I watch Supernatural and Blue Bloods and that's pretty much it other than sport.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Best TV shows on 00:32 - Jun 6 with 4049 viewsChaffRAFC

Oh and I thought Friday Night Lights was ace as well.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Best TV shows on 01:04 - Jun 6 with 4033 viewsDale_Pea

House Of Cards and The Thick Of It.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 1:05]

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

Best TV shows on 02:03 - Jun 6 with 4018 viewsAtThePeake

Think I'm probably the only person to have ever given Game of Thrones a solid attempt (5 episodes) and given it up, but that's as someone who doesn't like fantasy stuff generally (can't stand Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or owt like that really)

Agree with Shun on Modern Family - great viewing. Tend to watch plenty of American comedies on Netflix, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation and The Office the main perpetrators at the moment.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:20]

Tangled up in blue.

Best TV shows on 08:20 - Jun 6 with 3946 viewsTTNYear

Breaking Bad

House of Cards

Getting into Dexter at the mo

Plus Hooligans and Proud, as I don't want a 'visit'.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 8:20]

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Best TV shows on 12:08 - Jun 6 with 3859 viewsD_Alien

Best TV shows on 02:03 - Jun 6 by AtThePeake

Think I'm probably the only person to have ever given Game of Thrones a solid attempt (5 episodes) and given it up, but that's as someone who doesn't like fantasy stuff generally (can't stand Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or owt like that really)

Agree with Shun on Modern Family - great viewing. Tend to watch plenty of American comedies on Netflix, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation and The Office the main perpetrators at the moment.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:20]

I'm absolutely in the same ballpark with Game Of Thrones/LOTRs. Started watching GOT after a couple of people at work raved about it, but gave up even sooner.

On the other hand, I find American humour difficult to get to grips with - some can be entertaining but there's rarely anything that meets what I guess is my typical British preference for irony.

There's been a couple of occasions when watching trailers for US films at the cinema which publicise themselves as "the funniest movie this year" when someone in the audience has started guffawing because someone tripped over or summat and I've felt like slapping them.

[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:22]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Best TV shows on 12:24 - Jun 6 with 3834 viewsAtThePeake

Best TV shows on 12:08 - Jun 6 by D_Alien

I'm absolutely in the same ballpark with Game Of Thrones/LOTRs. Started watching GOT after a couple of people at work raved about it, but gave up even sooner.

On the other hand, I find American humour difficult to get to grips with - some can be entertaining but there's rarely anything that meets what I guess is my typical British preference for irony.

There's been a couple of occasions when watching trailers for US films at the cinema which publicise themselves as "the funniest movie this year" when someone in the audience has started guffawing because someone tripped over or summat and I've felt like slapping them.

[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:22]

There's still a lot of shows like that - Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are absolutely awful, and generally I'm not too keen on American comedy movies.

I think the Office took a lot from the British version (not as good as the British version but because of the sheer length of the series, you grew more attached to the characters) and from there, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, 30 Rock etc. moulded themselves around that basis.

Most are still pretty hit and miss to say the least but they're catching us up in my opinion.

I'm also keen on American dramas. Homeland, Dexter and Breaking Bad my favourites, Prison Break deserves an honorable mention too.

Tangled up in blue.

Best TV shows on 12:26 - Jun 6 with 3824 viewsStudiousDale

The Wire is the greatest ever. Enjoyed Sopranos and Breaking Bad too. Love Game of Thrones, and trying to get into House of Cards at the moment (5 eps in).
Login to get fewer ads

Best TV shows on 12:31 - Jun 6 with 3807 viewsColDale

Best TV shows on 12:24 - Jun 6 by AtThePeake

There's still a lot of shows like that - Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are absolutely awful, and generally I'm not too keen on American comedy movies.

I think the Office took a lot from the British version (not as good as the British version but because of the sheer length of the series, you grew more attached to the characters) and from there, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, 30 Rock etc. moulded themselves around that basis.

Most are still pretty hit and miss to say the least but they're catching us up in my opinion.

I'm also keen on American dramas. Homeland, Dexter and Breaking Bad my favourites, Prison Break deserves an honorable mention too.

the problem with American TV is that the money involved means that they never know when to stop. The number of programmes which reach series 4 or 5 and just become ridiculous. Homeland has been like that with the last two series being just a case of padding it out and I won't even mention the last few series of Prison Break. Utter gash.
Best TV shows on 12:32 - Jun 6 with 3805 viewsAtThePeake

Best TV shows on 01:04 - Jun 6 by Dale_Pea

"These are nice biscuits, they cost four pounds!"

Tangled up in blue.

Best TV shows on 12:36 - Jun 6 with 3796 viewsDaley_Lama

"There's still a lot of shows like that - Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are absolutely awful, and generally I'm not too keen on American comedy movies. "

I went abroad last week on holiday.

Guess which 2 shows and only 2 shows we set as "must record" on my digi box...

Poll: DF in or out

Best TV shows on 12:38 - Jun 6 with 3795 viewsAtThePeake

Best TV shows on 12:36 - Jun 6 by Daley_Lama

"There's still a lot of shows like that - Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are absolutely awful, and generally I'm not too keen on American comedy movies. "

There's no accounting for taste I suppose

Tangled up in blue.

Best TV shows on 12:38 - Jun 6 with 3794 viewsdingdangblue

Best TV shows on 00:31 - Jun 6 by ChaffRAFC

Never brought myself to watch Game of Thrones. Just doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy.

True Detective was the best thing I'd seen on TV since Lost which is a big statement given that Lost is, for me, the greatest show to ever grace TV. True Detective was magnificent in every episode.

Hannibal isn't that far behind. Superb show that keeps me gripped every time it's on.

Aside from that I watch Supernatural and Blue Bloods and that's pretty much it other than sport.

Must admit its hard to get into too much tv these days with a 3yr old and 6yr old - finding time to watch it is Nye on impossible. Even recording stuff just ends up filling up the hard drive on my digibox. Must agree with Lost - especially the first 4-5 series. When it went to sky I had to get my mum and dad to put it on a disc for me and we ended up losing interest and still to this day I need to see the last 2 series. Can't beat a bit of The Family Guy - very easy to watch.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Best TV shows on 12:42 - Jun 6 with 3784 viewsAtThePeake

Best TV shows on 12:31 - Jun 6 by ColDale

the problem with American TV is that the money involved means that they never know when to stop. The number of programmes which reach series 4 or 5 and just become ridiculous. Homeland has been like that with the last two series being just a case of padding it out and I won't even mention the last few series of Prison Break. Utter gash.

There are a few that should have ended sooner for sure. Dexter's last season was an abomination and The Office probably should have ended once Steve Carrell packed it in.

There's talk of another series of Breaking Bad. As much as I adore that show and would no doubt watch every second, I really don't want them to ruin it with another series, which they surely will.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:51]

Tangled up in blue.

Best TV shows on 12:46 - Jun 6 with 3776 viewsRotherhamDale

I said to my mates that I don't really like American comedy and I get absolutely ridiculed for it so i'm glad it's not just me!

House of Cards is brilliant.
Breaking Bad was good but not incredible.

Did anybody watch The Island with Bear Grylls? That was quite good.

Enjoyed The Trip to Italy too.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 12:48]

Possession with progression.

Best TV shows on 12:48 - Jun 6 with 3772 viewsRotherhamDale

Best TV shows on 01:04 - Jun 6 by Dale_Pea

Possession with progression.

Best TV shows on 13:06 - Jun 6 with 3733 viewsMass_Debater

Best TV shows on 12:46 - Jun 6 by RotherhamDale

I said to my mates that I don't really like American comedy and I get absolutely ridiculed for it so i'm glad it's not just me!

Correct.

The words American and Comedy shouldn't be in the same sentence
Best TV shows on 13:09 - Jun 6 with 3722 views442Dale

Best TV shows on 12:46 - Jun 6 by RotherhamDale

The Trip to Italy was five star tv.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Best TV shows on 13:36 - Jun 6 with 3694 views_dezzy

Best TV shows on 12:36 - Jun 6 by Daley_Lama

Numberjacks and peppa pig ??

KHBA

Best TV shows on 13:48 - Jun 6 with 3681 viewsTomRAFC

House, Lost and Frasier were all class.

For comedy the Royle family was something truly magical. The xmas episode are the highlight of the holiday (apart from the excuse to eat turkey and Stilton sandwiches with port for breakfast).

The first season of Mongrels was one of the best comedy shows ever and I was gutted when they canceled it after season two. Peep show is also class

I'm also a huge fan of king of the hill. I think a lot of people over here just didn't get it but it is pure genius.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 15:10]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Best TV shows on 14:30 - Jun 6 with 3651 viewsSaxonDale

House of Cards
Breaking Bad
Peep show
Band of Brothers

Thought the Island was decent and agree with what others have said about American comedy.
Best TV shows on 14:35 - Jun 6 with 3647 viewsolympicdale

Modern Family

How I met your mother

the Big Bang Theory

Rules of Engagement
[Post edited 7 Jun 2014 0:08]

Life is a game of fate.

Best TV shows on 14:36 - Jun 6 with 3647 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Peep Show is always a good watch.

The Mentalist, Old auf wiedersehen pet and Minder, Wire in the Blood and Prison break (rewatching the box set atm) all good watches.

For those that remember "Scully" that's a great series - based on Liverpool trainee footballer.

Finally wish they would release all of "Dream Team" on DVD - was tacky yes but well worth a watch for old time sake :)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Best TV shows on 14:39 - Jun 6 with 3644 viewsD_Alien

Best TV shows on 14:36 - Jun 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

The Mentalist, Old auf wiedersehen pet and Minder, Wire in the Blood and Prison break (rewatching the box set atm) all good watches.

For those that remember "Scully" that's a great series - based on Liverpool trainee footballer.

Finally wish they would release all of "Dream Team" on DVD - was tacky yes but well worth a watch for old time sake :)

Just to echo what others have said about dragging things out...

I was really into The Mentalist up to the point where he met Red John.

Not sure what the point is anymore, and stopped watching.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Best TV shows on 14:50 - Jun 6 with 3633 viewsColDale

Best TV shows on 14:36 - Jun 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

Remember Scully well. Monday nights with an Elvis Costello soundtrack. Think Dalglish was in it at one point. Great show from memory, though am sure it would look dated.

I think Sky occasionally repeat Dream Team on one of their many channels during the day. Always worth keeping an eye out for them.

The mental head keeper who they were all scared of was my favourite.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024