Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The big picture 22:19 - Feb 2 with 14500 viewsStudiousDale

Yes it's very frustrating to have lost Done, and it leaves us short up front.

However, it should be remembered that we're 7th in League 1, and have managed to only sell 1 player during the window despite that (after earlier rumours of Tanser, Allen, Bennett etc all going). Additionally it looks like we're getting O'Connell back, and if Done has gone for £500k plus then I think it's a good fee.

Whilst people want us to shell out £100k plus on players (and I'm all for it in the case of people like O'Connell), unfortunately with the wages we spend we can only look to attract upwardly mobile players, who want to come to work for Hill and part of the attraction is that we will sell them on if they perform, and not keep them here at a ransom. Hopefully the money can be used to get Hill's targets for next Summer, Andrew or Brandy can step into Done's starting role and we can continue to battle all the teams in this division with a budget bigger than ours.

Believe in the sign
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 22:23]
The big picture on 06:26 - Feb 5 with 2672 viewsaleanddale

The big picture on 17:38 - Feb 4 by bazingadale

How much has lambert made us now

A lot.

Probably more in ad ons than the original up front fee.

The bigger picture is what we need to remind ourselves of.

10-15 years or more in league one OR a season in the championship followed by two successive relegation back to league 2.

No guarantee of either but solid investment with this type of cash helps build the whole club rather than pin our hopes on individuals.

Players will always come and go. The club is the most important thing.
The big picture on 06:47 - Feb 5 with 2663 viewsDomDale

The big picture on 06:26 - Feb 5 by aleanddale

A lot.

Probably more in ad ons than the original up front fee.

The bigger picture is what we need to remind ourselves of.

10-15 years or more in league one OR a season in the championship followed by two successive relegation back to league 2.

No guarantee of either but solid investment with this type of cash helps build the whole club rather than pin our hopes on individuals.

Players will always come and go. The club is the most important thing.

"10-15 years or more in league one OR a season in the championship followed by two successive relegation back to league 2. "

I wish people would stop perpetuating this myth. It's all hypothetical of course but why on earth would promotion this season equal a swift relegation back to league two? We're a club in good financial health who would stand to make a LOT of money from promotion through TV, gate receipts and if push came to shove inflated transfer fees for our contracted players by the virtue they're Championship. Even if the messiah himself was poached and left he's on a contract, the club would be paid compensation.

If the millions we would stand to make weren't invested into steadying the ship and keeping the club in league one or above I would be shocked. Perhaps I'm naive.

Again, this is all hypothetical. We could still mathematically be relegated this season. I just wish I'd stop reading that success will bring about massive failure in the future.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

The big picture on 07:12 - Feb 5 with 2642 viewsaleanddale

Splits opinion for sure.

People will always be made up differently regarding attitude to risk v reward. Hence the debate.

I would be made up with a season - or several seasons in the championship and if we do make it ever then great. I guess the whole club would need to evolve to give us the best chance of consolidation.

Let's see how the remainder of this season goes and maybe - just maybe this sale ( Done ) can help strengthen the team if not this season then next.

Febian your stage is set... Looking forward to Saturday now.
The big picture on 15:42 - Feb 5 with 2445 viewsnordenblue

The big picture on 07:12 - Feb 5 by aleanddale

Splits opinion for sure.

People will always be made up differently regarding attitude to risk v reward. Hence the debate.

I would be made up with a season - or several seasons in the championship and if we do make it ever then great. I guess the whole club would need to evolve to give us the best chance of consolidation.

Let's see how the remainder of this season goes and maybe - just maybe this sale ( Done ) can help strengthen the team if not this season then next.

Febian your stage is set... Looking forward to Saturday now.

Selling your best/better players doesnt equate to strengthening your team.You dont hear of United wanting to sell Rooney or City selling Silva to "strengthen their team" you generally gain success keeping them.I like a few others think the timing of the Done sale couldn't really have been worse
The big picture on 15:57 - Feb 5 with 2424 viewstazzydjr

The big picture on 15:42 - Feb 5 by nordenblue

Selling your best/better players doesnt equate to strengthening your team.You dont hear of United wanting to sell Rooney or City selling Silva to "strengthen their team" you generally gain success keeping them.I like a few others think the timing of the Done sale couldn't really have been worse

Why compare us to the likes of The Manchester City Play Toy & The Devils biggest Franchise were Rochdale we might not be a billy big dog side but least hopefully we'll outlive teams like both quoted

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

The big picture on 16:01 - Feb 5 with 2418 viewsD_Alien

The big picture on 15:42 - Feb 5 by nordenblue

That's a different argument though, nordenblue

What would you have said to him on Monday afternoon? No, you're staying, and it'll cost you a six-figure sum minimum, but tough luck lad?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The big picture on 16:14 - Feb 5 with 2382 viewsnordenblue

The big picture on 16:01 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

That's a different argument though, nordenblue

What would you have said to him on Monday afternoon? No, you're staying, and it'll cost you a six-figure sum minimum, but tough luck lad?

Not tough luck at all, like Hilly did when Middlesbrough came in initially for Craig Dawson and turned his head, he told him to stay put get a few more games for us under his belt and he will get the riches and more when the times right for both him and the club.
The times not right in January to cash on on your top scorer whilst still in with a cracking shot of the playoffs even more so knowingly the club has NEVER had as much profit in the bank as it currently has.
Having seen the Done interview he didnt come across desperate to leave id say the total opposite,he'd trust Hilly enough to be true to his word about a future transfer to suit all parties
The big picture on 16:17 - Feb 5 with 2379 viewsnordenblue

The big picture on 15:57 - Feb 5 by tazzydjr

Why compare us to the likes of The Manchester City Play Toy & The Devils biggest Franchise were Rochdale we might not be a billy big dog side but least hopefully we'll outlive teams like both quoted

Talking in riddles doesnt enhance your posts
Login to get fewer ads

The big picture on 16:50 - Feb 5 with 2352 viewsD_Alien

The big picture on 16:14 - Feb 5 by nordenblue

Not tough luck at all, like Hilly did when Middlesbrough came in initially for Craig Dawson and turned his head, he told him to stay put get a few more games for us under his belt and he will get the riches and more when the times right for both him and the club.
The times not right in January to cash on on your top scorer whilst still in with a cracking shot of the playoffs even more so knowingly the club has NEVER had as much profit in the bank as it currently has.
Having seen the Done interview he didnt come across desperate to leave id say the total opposite,he'd trust Hilly enough to be true to his word about a future transfer to suit all parties

Done came across as being sad to leave the Dale family, it's true.

But he has himself and his own family to put first.

He and Dawson are at very different stages of their careers, so it's not a fair comparison.

Finally, he did trust Hilly to be true to his word. Come back here with me (two years ago) and I'll put you back on track and give you a springboard to reboot your career. If he'd turned round to him on Monday and told him he wasn't going to let him go now, that would not only have been going back on his word but sending exactly the wrong message out to any other player who might want to come here and reboot their career.

I'm really not sure what else anyone can say to convince the doubters that this really isn't a case of the club lacking ambition - it's exactly the opposite. We want to be THE club to go to for talented lower league players seeking to better themselves. That policy, if sustained, will see the Dale maintain an upwards trajectory.

The big picture on 17:08 - Feb 5 with 2338 viewsDaleiLama

The big picture on 16:50 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

He and Dawson are at very different stages of their careers, so it's not a fair comparison.

Finally, he did trust Hilly to be true to his word. Come back here with me (two years ago) and I'll put you back on track and give you a springboard to reboot your career. If he'd turned round to him on Monday and told him he wasn't going to let him go now, that would not only have been going back on his word but sending exactly the wrong message out to any other player who might want to come here and reboot their career.

I'm really not sure what else anyone can say to convince the doubters that this really isn't a case of the club lacking ambition - it's exactly the opposite. We want to be THE club to go to for talented lower league players seeking to better themselves. That policy, if sustained, will see the Dale maintain an upwards trajectory.

No doubt it's a big wrench for Done, but also, like you said, a big opportunity for him too.

The flip side of going back on your word would be to have a player who might become bitter and lose interest - then there's a risk that the discontent could spread through the squad.

For me, this is a win-win. The player is happy and the club has been adequately compensated and retained its integrity.

PS Please tone down your aggressiveness

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The big picture on 17:34 - Feb 5 with 2318 viewsnordenblue

Im sure Done didnt expect to get an instant transfer the minute anyone showed an interest though, Hilly would still have been true to his word had he helped Done get a transfer come the end of the season.
Who's to say had he stayed and bagged 20+ goals got us in the play offs that he could possibly have interested larger clubs and gained more income for both himself and the club.
I agree we as a club do have to sell players and i dont have a problem with needing to do that when the times right, for me the timing is very poor to put it mildly.
The big picture on 19:15 - Feb 5 with 2234 viewsD_Alien

The big picture on 17:08 - Feb 5 by DaleiLama

No doubt it's a big wrench for Done, but also, like you said, a big opportunity for him too.

The flip side of going back on your word would be to have a player who might become bitter and lose interest - then there's a risk that the discontent could spread through the squad.

For me, this is a win-win. The player is happy and the club has been adequately compensated and retained its integrity.

PS Please tone down your aggressiveness

Sure!

Can you tell me which is the "tone it down" button?!

The big picture on 19:17 - Feb 5 with 2230 viewspioneer

Ill believe the club is serious about long term financial stability when they finally introduce on line ticketing - this sale is partly the outcome of the failure of the club to market itself and the money received means that those responsible for failing to market the club can relax a little longer - Matty Done's transfer fee is paying the bills that they should be working to pay.
The big picture on 00:42 - Feb 6 with 2103 viewsShun

Interesting, your penultimate paragraph. I hadn't thought about it that way.
The big picture on 02:33 - Feb 6 with 2086 viewszxcvbnm

You can look at the talent production line in different ways -

Crewe - worked for years built on it before eventually falling away - Platt, Ashton etc
Norwich - a selling club in the 90s 00s, Phelan, Bruce, Ashton, Sutton etc
plus other such as Ipswich and the non premier league Southampton who brought through players.

The key is striking a balance - Crewe did it successfully but eventually ran out of talent coming through
Norwich did it successfully but never reinvested and only now have rebuilt their academy
Ipswich did it successfully but never reinvested and only now have rebuilt their academy
Southampton the biggest talent development squad of recent times - seem to have hit the right balance but it helps having a huge stadium and now being PL

Realistically though Crewe have to be our model, getting to a point where young players want to come to Dale because they see it as a stepping stone to their career. Hopefully and no offence to these players gone are the days of players taking a last professional role at Dale and now really being effective. No more Gareth Stokers or the centre back Green whose first name has disappeared from my addled brain. (Richard?)

I have to say I don't watch the Youth Team but players such as Hassler-Clegg, Bell and Kisamba seem to be highly thought of so lets hope that several more talents come through the ranks.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

The big picture on 09:57 - Feb 6 with 2014 viewsR17ALE

The big picture on 02:33 - Feb 6 by zxcvbnm

You can look at the talent production line in different ways -

Crewe - worked for years built on it before eventually falling away - Platt, Ashton etc
Norwich - a selling club in the 90s 00s, Phelan, Bruce, Ashton, Sutton etc
plus other such as Ipswich and the non premier league Southampton who brought through players.

The key is striking a balance - Crewe did it successfully but eventually ran out of talent coming through
Norwich did it successfully but never reinvested and only now have rebuilt their academy
Ipswich did it successfully but never reinvested and only now have rebuilt their academy
Southampton the biggest talent development squad of recent times - seem to have hit the right balance but it helps having a huge stadium and now being PL

Realistically though Crewe have to be our model, getting to a point where young players want to come to Dale because they see it as a stepping stone to their career. Hopefully and no offence to these players gone are the days of players taking a last professional role at Dale and now really being effective. No more Gareth Stokers or the centre back Green whose first name has disappeared from my addled brain. (Richard?)

I have to say I don't watch the Youth Team but players such as Hassler-Clegg, Bell and Kisamba seem to be highly thought of so lets hope that several more talents come through the ranks.

If Gareth Stoker and Richard Green are the first two examples of "No More of Them" that spring to mind, then you've led a very sheltered Dale life!

Try Mark Leonard and Vernon Allatt.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

The big picture on 10:12 - Feb 6 with 2004 viewsdingdangblue

The big picture on 09:57 - Feb 6 by R17ALE

If Gareth Stoker and Richard Green are the first two examples of "No More of Them" that spring to mind, then you've led a very sheltered Dale life!

Try Mark Leonard and Vernon Allatt.

Mark Leonard turned our season around when he joined us!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The big picture on 11:27 - Feb 6 with 1967 viewsDorsetDale

The big picture on 17:34 - Feb 5 by nordenblue

Im sure Done didnt expect to get an instant transfer the minute anyone showed an interest though, Hilly would still have been true to his word had he helped Done get a transfer come the end of the season.
Who's to say had he stayed and bagged 20+ goals got us in the play offs that he could possibly have interested larger clubs and gained more income for both himself and the club.
I agree we as a club do have to sell players and i dont have a problem with needing to do that when the times right, for me the timing is very poor to put it mildly.

It wasn't last minute though. In one of Hill's best DalePlayer interviews for sometime, he tells us it had been going on all month. Presumably, it was only last minute that a difficult-to-refuse offer came in.

Also, I hadn't realised how badly finances had been drained by Eyre/Coleman. We are incredibly lucky to have a man as passionate about our club as KH.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

The big picture on 15:20 - Feb 6 with 1915 viewsnordenblue

The big picture on 11:27 - Feb 6 by DorsetDale

It wasn't last minute though. In one of Hill's best DalePlayer interviews for sometime, he tells us it had been going on all month. Presumably, it was only last minute that a difficult-to-refuse offer came in.

Also, I hadn't realised how badly finances had been drained by Eyre/Coleman. We are incredibly lucky to have a man as passionate about our club as KH.

So why the need to roll out the usual "nobodies going anywhere" in the transfer window line knowing full well Done is on his way weeks earlier, he even admitted thats the reasoning behing signing Brandy and RNL too, hence no player brought in when Done was sold
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024