Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just asking. 17:20 - Jan 9 with 16900 viewswarrenfox4

What has les done since he has been at the club.
Because it seems to have got worse since he came in.
This is only my view ...but hope someone can tell me he is doing a great job and put my mind at ease.

just asking. on 19:09 - Jan 9 with 2659 viewsloftus77

just asking. on 18:34 - Jan 9 by hoopdog

Nothing to do with Gerry Francis leaving then ?

Maybe - but don't forget Gerry packed off to Spurs in 1994. Under Ray Wilkins and Les, we still finished top half of the Premier League in 1994-95 with an tidy team backed up by a decent youth structure at that time.

Les leaving (and Clive Wilson, to be fair) was the start of the downward spiral which still haunts us today IMHO.
just asking. on 19:20 - Jan 9 with 2616 viewsDorse

just asking. on 18:40 - Jan 9 by FredManRave

I'm sure Dorses' shed will be cheaper. It's probably got windows as well.

Win Win.

I wouldn't. It's horrible.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

just asking. on 19:30 - Jan 9 with 2589 viewsCamberleyR

just asking. on 19:09 - Jan 9 by loftus77

Maybe - but don't forget Gerry packed off to Spurs in 1994. Under Ray Wilkins and Les, we still finished top half of the Premier League in 1994-95 with an tidy team backed up by a decent youth structure at that time.

Les leaving (and Clive Wilson, to be fair) was the start of the downward spiral which still haunts us today IMHO.

£6m was a huge amount in 1995 and virtually impossible for us to turn down. This was when the British transfer record had just been set at £7.5m by Arsenal for Dennis Bergkamp so if you equate that with today's transfer dealings and players like Sterling going for forty odd million you can see it was a very significant sum.

Les had also done his absolute best for us for the last four years he was here and nobody could begrudge him a move to a big club who at the time under Keegan genuinely looked like they would be going places for a long time.

Where we went wrong was allowing Wilkins to squander that money on buying players like his past it, crocked mate Hateley and players that were never going to make it like Lee Charles, Gregory Goodridge. Even allowing for LF's absence, that team that lined up at Blackburn on the opening day of the 1995-96 season should have been easily good enough to survive.

Roberts

Bardsley
Brevett
McDonald
Maddix

Impey
Barker
Holloway
Sinclair

Gallen
Dichio

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

just asking. on 19:39 - Jan 9 with 2564 viewsdaveB

just asking. on 18:26 - Jan 9 by The_Mole

I know Neil Warnock's wife wasn't well, hence why he didn't want to commit long term, but it's also interesting that he wasn't keen on the role because of Ferdinand?!?!

Thats because he wanted Ferdinands job, whoever is the manager will answer to someone either a ceo or director of football. Most football managers would probably prefer to deal with a football man as their boss rather than a CEO
just asking. on 19:40 - Jan 9 with 2556 viewsdaveB

just asking. on 18:32 - Jan 9 by Watford_Ranger

Fair enough. I've been on management courses too so perhaps should have applied. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's an admin, finance or legal expert.

well as his role as little to do with finances or admin then it shouldn't matter.
just asking. on 19:46 - Jan 9 with 2539 viewsTacticalR

Wow, is every defeat going to lead to a cross-examination of the role of some or other employee of the club?

How about 'just asking' how the owners have spent millions of pounds and not produced the things they said they were going to produce...a training ground and a stadium? Or how about 'just asking' what happened to Caterham?

Just asking.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2016 19:50]

Air hostess clique

just asking. on 22:29 - Jan 9 with 2408 viewsclassof93

just asking. on 19:30 - Jan 9 by CamberleyR

£6m was a huge amount in 1995 and virtually impossible for us to turn down. This was when the British transfer record had just been set at £7.5m by Arsenal for Dennis Bergkamp so if you equate that with today's transfer dealings and players like Sterling going for forty odd million you can see it was a very significant sum.

Les had also done his absolute best for us for the last four years he was here and nobody could begrudge him a move to a big club who at the time under Keegan genuinely looked like they would be going places for a long time.

Where we went wrong was allowing Wilkins to squander that money on buying players like his past it, crocked mate Hateley and players that were never going to make it like Lee Charles, Gregory Goodridge. Even allowing for LF's absence, that team that lined up at Blackburn on the opening day of the 1995-96 season should have been easily good enough to survive.

Roberts

Bardsley
Brevett
McDonald
Maddix

Impey
Barker
Holloway
Sinclair

Gallen
Dichio

Agree Wilkins wasted the money but seriously?....you think that team should 'easily' stayed up? Come on.....2 strikers just turned 20 with barley any experience, a pretty awful keeper and a fairly average midfield. Plus what about the rest of the squad? To say that team should have easily stayed up is ridiculous
just asking. on 22:53 - Jan 9 with 2382 viewsDevonWhite

just asking. on 18:32 - Jan 9 by Watford_Ranger

Fair enough. I've been on management courses too so perhaps should have applied. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's an admin, finance or legal expert.

Good job he's Director of Football and not Director of Admin, Finance or Legal then isn't it. FFS.
Login to get fewer ads

just asking. on 22:54 - Jan 9 with 2377 viewsWatford_Ranger

just asking. on 19:40 - Jan 9 by daveB

well as his role as little to do with finances or admin then it shouldn't matter.

The post I was replying to said "he's there to sort out all of the administrative, financial and legal cock ups we've been involved with that have made us a laughing stock". If that's the case, I'd like to know what qualities and qualifications he has for it and how it's going.

I guess what I'm asking is, if he hadn't played for QPR, and QPR decided a DoF was needed, would it be anything but an utterly bizarre appointment to go for Les Ferdinand?
just asking. on 23:12 - Jan 9 with 2360 viewsderbyhoop

just asking. on 18:00 - Jan 9 by paulparker

Until the two idiots TF & Rubén leave then we won't see how les can do
The board are the ones who put us in this position , they are to blame , they have p1ssed away all of the money and made us a laughing stock
It's not down to Les , it's TF and those prats who sign Facebook petitions need to get a life and maybe start protesting against the board

Fabulous idea, that.
We may have lost £200m but how much are we going to lose this season. And next, and the one after. Who's going to fund that. I might be able to scrape £50.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

just asking. on 00:06 - Jan 10 with 2333 viewsqpr85

This is stupid, to question what Sir Les is actually doing you obviously haven't been paying attention.

When Sir Les came in we were diabolical. Harry was not interested but still wanted to spend money. His role was undermined by Harry every step of the way, but he still carried on doing what he was brought in to do.
This was to calm Harry down in the transfer market because Phil Beard was completely inept at doing so.

After Sir Les' first window our manager got the hump and hobbled off with his tail between his legs. Why?? Because Sir Les told him the purse strings have been well and truly pulled. The owners weren't going to get there pants pulled down anymore.

That's what Sir Les' job was/is to make sure the club stops buying players that come here for one last pay day. He has brought in players, which has already been said, want to play for QPR.

People can sprout on as much as they like that he employed his mate/black mate. The facts remain that he believed he would do a good job.
I can't see how anyone can see or truly believes Sir Les is doing anything but what he feels is right for the club moving forward and for the long term.

Time and time again I saw/read interviews with Sir Les and could tell he was passionate about our club and felt exactly the same as we did about so many issues. To say he is employing his mates or black only managers is ignorant. Please tell me who was realistically available when we employed Chris Ramsey??
Even Paul Clement (THE ACTUALLY DREAM MANAGER) who again loves our club didn't want to come to us or sign a contract at the end of the season.

So we go with the option available that could have worked given his qualifications. We started the season better than most thought we did break very well and scores plenty. What happened our defence was so bad that we had to score at least 2 to get a drawer.

We kept some talented players so the board decided promotion is the least we can do and it was always going to be the case Ramsey was out his depth. This was clear to Sir Les so what did he do?? He decided to look for the best option available in the lower leagues, why?? Because that is his job to get the best player or manager he can that also isn't going to cost the earth.

Sir Les has done everything he is asked and more to even question what has he done is bloody stupid and if TF gets wind if stupid threads like this then I fear for our future. Because without Sir Les we could be without a single person left in the backroom staff who knows what this club means to us and what we need to do to get our identity back.

Give the man time to do his job and start supporting the team. 50% of the reason we got promoted during the bleak times of buckets outside the ground was Loftus Road. Not matter how bad we were we always had that place rocking.
We are QPR we have always been crap but that is what makes QPR, QPR start getting HQ rocking and watch the results turn around.
just asking. on 00:13 - Jan 10 with 2317 viewsMonkey_Roots

TF aside, didn't we all sign up for a rebuilding project?

Rome weren't built in a day an all that...
just asking. on 00:21 - Jan 10 with 2306 viewsCamberleyR

just asking. on 22:29 - Jan 9 by classof93

Agree Wilkins wasted the money but seriously?....you think that team should 'easily' stayed up? Come on.....2 strikers just turned 20 with barley any experience, a pretty awful keeper and a fairly average midfield. Plus what about the rest of the squad? To say that team should have easily stayed up is ridiculous

".you think that team should 'easily' stayed up?"

Yes I do. Brevett was easily a capable enough replacement for Wilson and the only other absentee from the previous season was Les. Admittedly 20 goals is a big space to fill but surely those 20 goals weren't the difference between finishing 8th the season before and second last the next season? That team on paper was easily better than Southampton's and Coventry's who stayed up that year.

That defence must have had 600 top flight games between them alone.

Average midfield? You're joking surely?? We'd kill for a midfield of that quality today and that average midfield had served us well for the previous 3 seasons as had most of those defenders. Gallen was probably the second hottest property in the game after Robbie Fowler at the time and Dichio had chipped in 4 or 5 as Les's understudy.

Admittedly the rest of the squad may have been a bit thin but this was the time that the supply of decent players from the youth team all but dried up.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2016 0:25]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

just asking. on 00:43 - Jan 10 with 2281 viewsdoubled

a great player crap football director of footvall sack him NOW
just asking. on 00:51 - Jan 10 with 2259 viewsFredManRave

just asking. on 00:43 - Jan 10 by doubled

a great player crap football director of footvall sack him NOW

Do you proof read Fernandes' tweets?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

just asking. on 01:24 - Jan 10 with 2236 viewsHooped_Pullie

It may be that what we're experiencing now is the rubbish end of some very sound long term plans, which will eventually see us as a successful, well-run club, a la Watford or Burton. If so, then LF is doing a good job, but we just can't see it yet.

Or…

He is running day-to-day without a really sound or cohesive strategy,a piecemeal PC approach which will end in tears.

Proof of either one ? Insightinto exactly what he gets up to every day, gained first hand ? Let's have it. Otherwise, just a bit of speculation.
just asking. on 01:28 - Jan 10 with 2232 viewssuperhoopdownunder

just asking. on 00:06 - Jan 10 by qpr85

This is stupid, to question what Sir Les is actually doing you obviously haven't been paying attention.

When Sir Les came in we were diabolical. Harry was not interested but still wanted to spend money. His role was undermined by Harry every step of the way, but he still carried on doing what he was brought in to do.
This was to calm Harry down in the transfer market because Phil Beard was completely inept at doing so.

After Sir Les' first window our manager got the hump and hobbled off with his tail between his legs. Why?? Because Sir Les told him the purse strings have been well and truly pulled. The owners weren't going to get there pants pulled down anymore.

That's what Sir Les' job was/is to make sure the club stops buying players that come here for one last pay day. He has brought in players, which has already been said, want to play for QPR.

People can sprout on as much as they like that he employed his mate/black mate. The facts remain that he believed he would do a good job.
I can't see how anyone can see or truly believes Sir Les is doing anything but what he feels is right for the club moving forward and for the long term.

Time and time again I saw/read interviews with Sir Les and could tell he was passionate about our club and felt exactly the same as we did about so many issues. To say he is employing his mates or black only managers is ignorant. Please tell me who was realistically available when we employed Chris Ramsey??
Even Paul Clement (THE ACTUALLY DREAM MANAGER) who again loves our club didn't want to come to us or sign a contract at the end of the season.

So we go with the option available that could have worked given his qualifications. We started the season better than most thought we did break very well and scores plenty. What happened our defence was so bad that we had to score at least 2 to get a drawer.

We kept some talented players so the board decided promotion is the least we can do and it was always going to be the case Ramsey was out his depth. This was clear to Sir Les so what did he do?? He decided to look for the best option available in the lower leagues, why?? Because that is his job to get the best player or manager he can that also isn't going to cost the earth.

Sir Les has done everything he is asked and more to even question what has he done is bloody stupid and if TF gets wind if stupid threads like this then I fear for our future. Because without Sir Les we could be without a single person left in the backroom staff who knows what this club means to us and what we need to do to get our identity back.

Give the man time to do his job and start supporting the team. 50% of the reason we got promoted during the bleak times of buckets outside the ground was Loftus Road. Not matter how bad we were we always had that place rocking.
We are QPR we have always been crap but that is what makes QPR, QPR start getting HQ rocking and watch the results turn around.

By Les Ferdinand getting rid of Steve Gallen - yes there may be no one in the background who knows what the club means to us.
I guarantee the club means more to the Gallens (even after being treated badly) than Ferdinand (a Spurs supporter)

We have gone backwards with Ferdinand as the DOF
When he joined us we weren't in the relegation places
Yet ended up tailed off

We have had 2 poor transfer windows with him so far
One with no business apart from Zarate who we tried to send back
Second one when we bought a bunch of players apparently not ready
and where we hung onto a stack of overpaid unfit players who don't want to try or be here
Ramsey took the accountability for that - but that should be Les' responsibility

Ramsey was given a 3 year contract, failed as manager and then was given a new role as technical director??????? (only at QPR)

We finally got some stability with Warnock and he was moved on asap.

Background staff don't seem up to much and there seems to be loads of them
Duplication of roles all over the place = no accountability
So much for trying to save money
It's just a gravy train for these people - I am sure in the real world Les with zero experience would not even have been considered for such a role.
The club fail again

So for me Les Ferdinand would get a 1 ouf of 5 for his performance so far
That was only for getting rid of Redknapp - but really is anything better since Redknapp was here? I would say not.

The circus continues...................
[Post edited 10 Jan 2016 1:35]
just asking. on 02:22 - Jan 10 with 2195 viewsPunteR

Wasn't LF involved with not letting Redknapp sign more players in the last January window which prompted Redknapps knee surgery?.
He didn't allow Sherwood to get his own way with a contract forcing the negotiations to take on Sherwood as manager to collapse(a mate of his)
Gave Ramsey his chance to manage which I felt was the best choice at the time.
Gave youth players a chance ,Furlong etc as Redknapp refused.
Got in fans favourite Mackie,resigned Faurlin. Signed promising young players on the up,which everyone on here was crying out for. Smithies,Luongo,Gladwin,Chery,Hall etc.
There's probably lots of other positive things LF has done. He's done no worse the previous people running the club,if not better.
I think his biggest mistake is allowing TF to change the remit. He should have stuck to his guns more and backed Ramsey Imo. But at the end of the day TF is his boss so prob didn't have much choice.
I'm getting getting a bit fked off with this message board tbh and thinking of knocking it on the head. Its making daveB look like the flippin oracle we've become so predictable. daveB is probably right though, Ferdinand will be hounded out soon, along with JFH and we'll have someone else to blame.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

just asking. on 09:10 - Jan 10 with 2122 viewsqpr85

just asking. on 01:28 - Jan 10 by superhoopdownunder

By Les Ferdinand getting rid of Steve Gallen - yes there may be no one in the background who knows what the club means to us.
I guarantee the club means more to the Gallens (even after being treated badly) than Ferdinand (a Spurs supporter)

Yet ended up tailed off

and where we hung onto a stack of overpaid unfit players who don't want to try or be here
Ramsey took the accountability for that - but that should be Les' responsibility

Ramsey was given a 3 year contract, failed as manager and then was given a new role as technical director??????? (only at QPR)

It's just a gravy train for these people - I am sure in the real world Les with zero experience would not even have been considered for such a role.
The club fail again

That was only for getting rid of Redknapp - but really is anything better since Redknapp was here? I would say not.

Gone backward?? What the hell do you call what we were doing before he arrived??

The best and most promising we have looked since TF arrived was the end of the first season even with the overpaid gash we had at the time it was exciting and we played well. Second season was let's face it a shambles no other word for it.
After Man city away we were free falling. Even when we won promotion via play offs we only did that through Austin really and very few exciting and good performances. Lumping it up to Zamora anyone remember??
Sir Les has come in told the mercenaries to go (if it's affordable) sold who he could at the time. He told Harry no more money for Sh it and he went home crying about his knees. You say he hung on to overpaid unfit players WHO WANTED THEM?? Who WOULD Want overpaid unfit players?? Nothing he could do with that especially with FFP releasing them would mean paying them off so no he couldn't do that.

The players he brought in the summer are good up and coming players which most in here were pleased with
Yes some have been played out of position a lot of the times which is why they don't look great.
Sir Les has been told promotion is what TF wants now so he has to so his bit of PR about certain players. This does not mean HE wasted the transfer window!!!

The Gallen issue I'm afraid has been on the cards for a long time before Sir Les even arrived. You can not blame him for that.
just asking. on 13:08 - Jan 10 with 2036 viewsbaz_qpr

just asking. on 00:06 - Jan 10 by qpr85

To play devils advocate,

He came into the club against the will of the then manager, undermined that manager, told the board there was no need to spend that we just needed to "coach what we had better" spent nothing in the transfer window when it was still possible to save the season, leading to manager walking out, having put in the set up for Sherwood, backtracked and appointed a novice with barely a season as a caretake 1st team coach and when relegation was pretty much all but assured appointed that caretaker to the position full time. Talked about pathways threw some kids into the team (who've not played this season at all) oversaw the relegation. In the summer failed to sell the big earners and went shopping in league one spent about £8m on players none of which have been able to constantly hold down a 1st team place only a free transfer who the management told the world was just squad "cover". Failed to buy strikers of adequate quality to replace / play alongside / understudy Austin. Undermined the manager, sacked the manager appointed new manager with record of no win in 7 .

Point being as much as a legend he is to me, he's had a bit of a free pass to date, but he does need to take some responsibility for the actions he's taken and where we are today
just asking. on 13:22 - Jan 10 with 2017 viewsTheBlob

just asking. on 00:13 - Jan 10 by Monkey_Roots

TF aside, didn't we all sign up for a rebuilding project?

Rome weren't built in a day an all that...

And it still ain't finished,that Colosseum is a f*cking disgrace,way over budget.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

just asking. on 13:35 - Jan 10 with 2002 viewsdaveB

just asking. on 22:54 - Jan 9 by Watford_Ranger

The post I was replying to said "he's there to sort out all of the administrative, financial and legal cock ups we've been involved with that have made us a laughing stock". If that's the case, I'd like to know what qualities and qualifications he has for it and how it's going.

I guess what I'm asking is, if he hadn't played for QPR, and QPR decided a DoF was needed, would it be anything but an utterly bizarre appointment to go for Les Ferdinand?

Well he's not sorting out the finances or admin, that's what Lee Hoos is here for.

Ferdinand is a sensible choice for the director of football role but doesn't matter who is in the role really or what they did people would find a reason to have a go at them
just asking. on 13:42 - Jan 10 with 1993 viewsdaveB

just asking. on 01:28 - Jan 10 by superhoopdownunder

Yet ended up tailed off

The club fail again

He hasn't got rid of Steve Gallen, he put him on gardening leave to try and find him a new role at the club, same as with Ramsey. If he wanted to get rid of him he'd have gone by now

I still think the summer transfer window was decent.

Hall, Luongo, Gladwin Smithies and Chery all look decent signings, all younger players with something to prove. Perch hasn't really worked but seemed a decent signing at the time. Koncheskey hasn't been great but was only a loan and Polter & JET have done ok when given the chance

We've been crap for 4 years now long before Ferdinand came back and a season like this has been coming for a while
just asking. on 13:59 - Jan 10 with 1965 viewsWatford_Ranger

just asking. on 13:35 - Jan 10 by daveB

Well he's not sorting out the finances or admin, that's what Lee Hoos is here for.

Ferdinand is a sensible choice for the director of football role but doesn't matter who is in the role really or what they did people would find a reason to have a go at them

I'm not saying the bloke is a bad choice for the role as I don't know what he brings to it. I still just don't get what experience, qualities or qualifications he has to suggest he was the best candidate for the role. He might have loads- I'd just like to know what they are.
just asking. on 14:22 - Jan 10 with 1943 viewsnadera78

If Les Ferdinand gets hounded out before the end of the season I'm walking away from the club. I thought the owner was bad enough, with tantrums and outbursts that would shame a teenage girl, but some of the fans make Fernandes look like a respected world statesman. I've had about as much as I'm prepared to put up with tbh.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024