Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashley Eastham 17:43 - Mar 12 with 9353 views1907

Awesome.
Ashley Eastham on 00:11 - Mar 13 with 3084 viewsFrog

Ashley Eastham on 19:40 - Mar 12 by nordenblue

Steve Err said Donals first half was the best he'd seen all season from a league 1 player

That means naff all to be fair
Ashley Eastham on 03:12 - Mar 13 with 2997 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashley Eastham on 22:07 - Mar 12 by sweetcorn

Donal was absolutely incredible, was involved in everything, would love him to bring that for 90 minutes

Agree. I've been boring people daft about it all season but probably Hill can accept Donal and RNL running out of fuel,maybe it's the modern game these days and teams can carry a couple of players who don't have the stamina for the full 95 minutes.

Somebody came out with a comment today regarding the perceived fitness issue and I think he was right (isitme)....'In the squad of players there are starters and finishers'. Players who are great at starting a game, dictating the pattern and giving it their all for 60/70 minutes, then you have players who excel when coming off the bench for the last twenty to carry on the good work. I thought it was a good analogy and when you think about it, it's a good way of utilising the squad also.

Years ago it wasn't acceptable that a player couldn't last a full game but I suppose footballs changed and players now have to multi task, chase back and defend etc. Looking at it from a different perspective,maybe a good hour of Donal and RNL would be worthy of a new contract. It was worth the entrance fee alone yesterday just to watch Donals performance,it belonged in a higher league.He also played well at Coventry last week.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 7:12]
Ashley Eastham on 05:52 - Mar 13 with 2952 viewsnordenblue

Ashley Eastham on 00:11 - Mar 13 by Frog

That means naff all to be fair

To be fair he's probably seen quite a bit of football..
Ashley Eastham on 07:22 - Mar 13 with 2882 viewsTVOS1907

Ashley Eastham on 03:12 - Mar 13 by TalkingSutty

Agree. I've been boring people daft about it all season but probably Hill can accept Donal and RNL running out of fuel,maybe it's the modern game these days and teams can carry a couple of players who don't have the stamina for the full 95 minutes.

Somebody came out with a comment today regarding the perceived fitness issue and I think he was right (isitme)....'In the squad of players there are starters and finishers'. Players who are great at starting a game, dictating the pattern and giving it their all for 60/70 minutes, then you have players who excel when coming off the bench for the last twenty to carry on the good work. I thought it was a good analogy and when you think about it, it's a good way of utilising the squad also.

Years ago it wasn't acceptable that a player couldn't last a full game but I suppose footballs changed and players now have to multi task, chase back and defend etc. Looking at it from a different perspective,maybe a good hour of Donal and RNL would be worthy of a new contract. It was worth the entrance fee alone yesterday just to watch Donals performance,it belonged in a higher league.He also played well at Coventry last week.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2016 7:12]

I think you're getting your RNLs and NMLs mixed-up, TS.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashley Eastham on 08:21 - Mar 13 with 2809 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashley Eastham on 07:22 - Mar 13 by TVOS1907

I think you're getting your RNLs and NMLs mixed-up, TS.

Correct, had a bad nights sleep
Ashley Eastham on 08:38 - Mar 13 with 2773 viewsAtThePeake

Canavan's Scunthorpe contract is up in the summer. Hope Hilly is already in his ear.

Tangled up in blue.

Ashley Eastham on 09:43 - Mar 13 with 2676 viewsD_Alien

Ashley Eastham on 08:38 - Mar 13 by AtThePeake

Canavan's Scunthorpe contract is up in the summer. Hope Hilly is already in his ear.

Shouldn't that be Canavan in Hilly's ear?

Or summat?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashley Eastham on 09:49 - Mar 13 with 2663 viewsrochedale

Ashley Eastham on 09:43 - Mar 13 by D_Alien

Shouldn't that be Canavan in Hilly's ear?

Or summat?

Every woman, every man
Join us Canavan
For good

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashley Eastham on 10:07 - Mar 13 with 2609 viewsaleanddale

Ashley Eastham joint mom with run em ragged Donal...

Can't argue with the earlier post 11 mom we dominated an expensively assembled bury side and made them look like circus clowns!!

Up the Dale looking forward to oldham having a tough night on Tuesday and then we roll up at BP on Saturday.
Ashley Eastham on 11:23 - Mar 13 with 2511 viewsfitzochris

Ashley Eastham on 08:38 - Mar 13 by AtThePeake

I'm guessing Canavan has been allowed to join us because he's been told he isn't getting a new contract from Scunthorpe and his arrival here is a chance for Hilly to see if he warrants one from us.

Problem is, Scunny might change their mind if he keeps performing as I'm hearing he is doing. Hopefully he's happier at Spotland and appreciates the chance Hilly has given him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ashley Eastham on 16:13 - Mar 13 with 2273 viewskirbys

Yes it was an incredible turn round from a few weeks ago.
I must add that as well as defence the midfield was so good yesterday. Credit has been given to Donal who ran and ran but I would pick out Matty Lund. For me it was his best performance this season and with Jamie Allen buzzing all over the place we can look forward to that threesome creating headaches for a few more teams before the end of this season.
Some have picked out Michael Rose for credit and will grant it looked better down the left yesterday than for a while but he had heaps of back up and some of his distribution was awful. He has more to do in my view before matching those around him.
Ashley Eastham on 16:19 - Mar 13 with 2262 views442Dale

Ashley Eastham on 16:13 - Mar 13 by kirbys

I must add that as well as defence the midfield was so good yesterday. Credit has been given to Donal who ran and ran but I would pick out Matty Lund. For me it was his best performance this season and with Jamie Allen buzzing all over the place we can look forward to that threesome creating headaches for a few more teams before the end of this season.
Some have picked out Michael Rose for credit and will grant it looked better down the left yesterday than for a while but he had heaps of back up and some of his distribution was awful. He has more to do in my view before matching those around him.

Rose was excellent. Broke up play really well and was all over the pitch, looked as fit as he's ever been since he came to the club.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ashley Eastham on 16:56 - Mar 13 with 2192 viewsrobbowood

Ashley Eastham on 16:13 - Mar 13 by kirbys

This is a team game. Rose isn't in the team to "match" those around him. He's a completely different type of player to Lund and Allen to name but two. What he does provide is the experience that the team needs and which the younger players cannot provide in the system that we play

As for "some of his distribution was awful" that's very harsh. Name me a player whose every pass goes to the player of his own team and is 100% pefect
Ashley Eastham on 17:44 - Mar 13 with 2104 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Eastham on 19:20 - Mar 12 by BartRowou

I've never understood the problem with a good old punt up the pitch. It puts their defence under pressure, gives ours a breather and opens up play for the second ball. I think we're gradually seeing the end of passing it out defence player by player (which I blame Sky TV for).

I think at our level there can't be any place for playing it out from the back, ball playing centre halves, it causes problems, if you're Barca/Bayern yeah but not L1/L2 level. What I like about Canavan and Eastham is their no nonsense style, Canavan reads the play extremely well, and is constantly talking to his team mates, communication has proven key.

Life is a game of fate.

Ashley Eastham on 18:38 - Mar 13 with 2020 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashley Eastham on 16:56 - Mar 13 by robbowood

This is a team game. Rose isn't in the team to "match" those around him. He's a completely different type of player to Lund and Allen to name but two. What he does provide is the experience that the team needs and which the younger players cannot provide in the system that we play

As for "some of his distribution was awful" that's very harsh. Name me a player whose every pass goes to the player of his own team and is 100% pefect

Rose's performances are never perfect but you always know he's on the pitch, i mentioned before that he never hides. Last week at Coventry his passing wasn't brilliant and the same at Bradford but he's always in the game breaking up the play, putting tackles in etc. For his age his fitness is good and I think he's been instrumental in our good run of form.

Hilly obviously had a good think a few weeks ago and wanted to make us more solid, he turned to experience and brought in a couple of good loan signings and brought back Eastham, it's paid off in spades. We now have defenders who can defend, I think Cannon and Tansers day will come again but at this level there's no substitute for experience. It's alright keep sticking with young players but you also have to look after the here and now.

Hillys come up with a formula that's taken us into calm waters and it's now mission accomplished as a result. Safety with ten games to go should go on Hillys CV, it's a fantastic effort when you look at his budget.
Ashley Eastham on 15:24 - Mar 14 with 1618 viewsaleanddale

Ashley Eastham on 17:44 - Mar 13 by olympicdale

I think at our level there can't be any place for playing it out from the back, ball playing centre halves, it causes problems, if you're Barca/Bayern yeah but not L1/L2 level. What I like about Canavan and Eastham is their no nonsense style, Canavan reads the play extremely well, and is constantly talking to his team mates, communication has proven key.

good post OD I agree 100%.

defenders defend!!

No nonsense get it away from the danger area suits my viewing style!!!

so much better the last 6 or 7 games.

we are young and inexperienced so will always be on the receiving end of a drubbing now and again but this back 4 look pretty good ATM.
Ashley Eastham on 15:36 - Mar 14 with 1585 viewsD_Alien

With all this talk about the no-nonsense style of Eastham & Canavan - which is true and very welcome - there's a danger we could forget they're actually both pretty decent on the ball. Eastham's first touch is as good for a CB as you'll find in the lower leagues, whilst Canavan's pings out to the wings are Dawsonesque at times.

As a pairing, they remind me of the Ashworth/Parry partnership that carried the Dale to their first promotion and into the upper reaches of the third tier. Anyone of that generation will know what I mean. We've had classier CBs since then, notably Reeves and Dawson but as a combo that just works I reckon Hilly's found what we've been looking for. Need to get both their signatures on paper asap.

[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 15:44]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashley Eastham on 19:14 - Mar 14 with 1475 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashley Eastham on 17:44 - Mar 13 by olympicdale

Agree. What was the point with constantly keep passing it square across the back four,inevitably the centre halves were rushed into clouting it up field to nobody in particular, the tactic got us nowhere.

It probably improved the possession statistics but counted for nothing. It was a great way of inviting pressure on ourselves and giving the opposition a decent breather whilst we faffed about.It also bored the crowd *hitless,big time.
Ashley Eastham on 19:46 - Mar 14 with 1403 views1907

The No Fear mentality definitely appears to be back amongst the side
Ashley Eastham on 19:50 - Mar 14 with 1393 viewsdingdangblue

Ashley Eastham on 19:14 - Mar 14 by TalkingSutty

Agree. What was the point with constantly keep passing it square across the back four,inevitably the centre halves were rushed into clouting it up field to nobody in particular, the tactic got us nowhere.

It probably improved the possession statistics but counted for nothing. It was a great way of inviting pressure on ourselves and giving the opposition a decent breather whilst we faffed about.It also bored the crowd *hitless,big time.

Our 2nd goal on Saturday - a good old fashioned boot upfield by Josh Lillis - the bury centre halves do their best impression of the chuckle brothers and NML nips in to score. Obviously this would be frowned upon by Pep Guardiola and all the new coaching manual's - but ultimately its a goal in a big derby match - so who gives a flying fcuk! To all of us at Spotland on Saturday it was a thing of beauty!!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Ashley Eastham on 20:01 - Mar 14 with 1366 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashley Eastham on 19:50 - Mar 14 by dingdangblue

Our 2nd goal on Saturday - a good old fashioned boot upfield by Josh Lillis - the bury centre halves do their best impression of the chuckle brothers and NML nips in to score. Obviously this would be frowned upon by Pep Guardiola and all the new coaching manual's - but ultimately its a goal in a big derby match - so who gives a flying fcuk! To all of us at Spotland on Saturday it was a thing of beauty!!

Lower division football on a pitch resembling a ploughed field, only a fool would attempt to play pretty football along the back line on that. It's the same at Boundary Park on Saturday, get rid of the ball in our own half and play our football in theirs.

Percentage football but at this level when the pitches are knackered it's the best tactic. Oldham are a team under pressure so let's push them back and seize the initiative from the start. Let's not be surprised when they fly out of the traps from the start and play with intensity.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2016 20:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024