Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
News or not? 16:40 - Aug 3 with 7659 viewslove_the_dale

On the 12.00 Radio Manchester news today -

“Rochdale manager Keith Hill has told BBC Radio Manchester that he could have moved away from Spotland this summer if he had chosen to, but Hill says he is now focused on the season ahead with Dale and wants to see a realistic improvement from his players.”

Is this new news or old?
News or not? on 16:45 - Aug 3 with 5865 viewsSuddenLad

The simple truth is that he can move from Spotland when he wants. He didn't seem to imply that he was offered or sought alternative employment.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

News or not? on 17:51 - Aug 3 with 5659 views442Dale

News or not? on 16:45 - Aug 3 by SuddenLad

The simple truth is that he can move from Spotland when he wants. He didn't seem to imply that he was offered or sought alternative employment.

Where's the interview able to be heard? Not sure why he'd even mention it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

News or not? on 18:13 - Aug 3 with 5578 viewslove_the_dale

News or not? on 17:51 - Aug 3 by 442Dale

I don't know who he was talking to. I heard it on the news summary at midday. Then I went to Radio Manc and replayed the start of the 12 o'clock show to make sure I got the wording corrrect -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0417sly

As you say, if he hadn't had an offer, it goes without saying that he could have just resigned without having a job to go to - so why would he feel the need say it? My interpretation was that he had turned an offer(s) down. Of course, it could be duff reporting.
News or not? on 18:42 - Aug 3 with 5497 viewsdingdangblue

News or not? on 17:51 - Aug 3 by 442Dale

Maybe he was talking about moving to America to be closer to his sick dad? Just a thought.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

News or not? on 20:15 - Aug 3 with 5275 viewsTalkingSutty

News or not? on 18:13 - Aug 3 by love_the_dale

I don't know who he was talking to. I heard it on the news summary at midday. Then I went to Radio Manc and replayed the start of the 12 o'clock show to make sure I got the wording corrrect -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0417sly

As you say, if he hadn't had an offer, it goes without saying that he could have just resigned without having a job to go to - so why would he feel the need say it? My interpretation was that he had turned an offer(s) down. Of course, it could be duff reporting.

A daft comment to come out with on the eve of a new season and totally unnecessary, if one of the players had said the same thing he probably wouldn't have been happy. It's great of him to stay though
News or not? on 20:20 - Aug 3 with 5250 viewsD_Alien

News or not? on 20:15 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

A daft comment to come out with on the eve of a new season and totally unnecessary, if one of the players had said the same thing he probably wouldn't have been happy. It's great of him to stay though

Knew you'd have summat to say about that. It's almost like he's reacting to your post this morning TS!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

News or not? on 20:45 - Aug 3 with 5181 viewsTalkingSutty

News or not? on 20:20 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

Knew you'd have summat to say about that. It's almost like he's reacting to your post this morning TS!

Haven't heard Hillys interview to be fair but if it was a better offer I would be surprised if he turned it down, so in reality the offer wasn't better was it? Or am I being a bit too simplistic?

Apologies if I am rambling but just returned from a long liquid lunch with Mrs TS and catching up on the Cricket, Forum etc. You get fed up of these 'football people' insinuating that they are doing everybody a favour, the bottom line is they do what's right for themselves and their family at the end of the day and I'm not knocking them for that. If ANYBODY isn't happy at Spotland just pack your bags and 'do one' ( in a dodgy Mancunian accent ). You get p****d off listening to it after a bit.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 20:56]
News or not? on 20:50 - Aug 3 with 5139 viewsD_Alien

News or not? on 20:45 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

Haven't heard Hillys interview to be fair but if it was a better offer I would be surprised if he turned it down, so in reality the offer wasn't better was it? Or am I being a bit too simplistic?

Apologies if I am rambling but just returned from a long liquid lunch with Mrs TS and catching up on the Cricket, Forum etc. You get fed up of these 'football people' insinuating that they are doing everybody a favour, the bottom line is they do what's right for themselves and their family at the end of the day and I'm not knocking them for that. If ANYBODY isn't happy at Spotland just pack your bags and 'do one' ( in a dodgy Mancunian accent ). You get p****d off listening to it after a bit.

You and me both

Edit: meant to thumbs up not down, bloody phone!
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 20:55]

Login to get fewer ads

News or not? on 20:54 - Aug 3 with 5107 viewsTVOS1907

News or not? on 20:45 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

The thing is, there wasn't an interview. Listen to that Matey FM link.

Why was this newsworthy for the midday news?

What was the context of his comments?

What question was he asked and why?

Didn't Matey FM have the recording of his words?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

News or not? on 20:59 - Aug 3 with 5084 viewsD_Alien

News or not? on 20:54 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

tbf there shouldn't be any possible context

News or not? on 21:03 - Aug 3 with 5068 viewsTVOS1907

News or not? on 20:59 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

tbf there shouldn't be any possible context

Precisely. I believe Matey FM were going round all the clubs today gathering stories, but it would still be interesting to know what prompted these alleged words.

News or not? on 21:06 - Aug 3 with 5057 viewsTalkingSutty

News or not? on 20:54 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

Agree they should have played the interview but it's obvious one has taken place or else they wouldn't have made the comments, they've directed those comments to Hilly himself. Expect it to be aired on the build up to Saturday's game. It obviously wasn't that good a offer to entice him from Rochdale though, that's the reality. Why even mention it?

I'm not a big Radio Manchester fan but you can't blame them for reporting what a manager has said and I don't believe they have just plucked these comments from thin air.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 21:10]
News or not? on 21:29 - Aug 3 with 4976 viewsTVOS1907

News or not? on 21:06 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

Agree they should have played the interview but it's obvious one has taken place or else they wouldn't have made the comments, they've directed those comments to Hilly himself. Expect it to be aired on the build up to Saturday's game. It obviously wasn't that good a offer to entice him from Rochdale though, that's the reality. Why even mention it?

I'm not a big Radio Manchester fan but you can't blame them for reporting what a manager has said and I don't believe they have just plucked these comments from thin air.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 21:10]

I'm sure they haven't, but they are without context. It might not have been anything to do with another club.

For example, he might have said he could have left the club to go and look after his father in America. I saw his father in a wheelchair at the Wigan game and it was clear he needs plenty of care, whether he is residing here or across the pond.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 22:09]

News or not? on 21:55 - Aug 3 with 4920 viewsTalkingSutty

News or not? on 21:29 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

I'm sure they haven't, but they are without context. It might not have been anything to do with another club.

For example, he might have said he could have left the club to go and look after his father in America. I saw his father in a wheelchair at the Wigan game and it was clear he needs plenty of care, whether he is residing here or across the pond.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 22:09]

Fair enough but if the comment is left open ended then anybody listening to it would automatically assume he has rejected a offer from another Club. I would guess that will be the case if the interview is played but could be wrong.
News or not? on 22:10 - Aug 3 with 4885 viewsTVOS1907

News or not? on 21:55 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

Fair enough but if the comment is left open ended then anybody listening to it would automatically assume he has rejected a offer from another Club. I would guess that will be the case if the interview is played but could be wrong.

Yes. It's lazy from Matey FM, to be honest, but maybe they will play something in the build-up to Saturday.

News or not? on 22:23 - Aug 3 with 4824 viewsTalkingSutty

News or not? on 22:10 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

Yes. It's lazy from Matey FM, to be honest, but maybe they will play something in the build-up to Saturday.

In fairness, Hilly excels in managing Football teams, his media work isn't brilliant,never has been. Not as bad as his mate down the road though.

You have to always cut Hilly some slack with his interviews, once you do that you can see things for what they are. At first some of his comments make you think 'what the *uck',but then you put everything into perspective and it doesn't bother you anymore.
News or not? on 06:03 - Aug 4 with 4576 viewsColDale

Take it as a positive. It's his way of showing his commitment to the club. There's never been a Summer with so many clubs that would be a step up with managerial vacancies, but in saying this quote, he's affirming that he's still here through choice and not because no bugger else would have him.
News or not? on 10:21 - Aug 4 with 4384 views1907

News or not? on 06:03 - Aug 4 by ColDale

Take it as a positive. It's his way of showing his commitment to the club. There's never been a Summer with so many clubs that would be a step up with managerial vacancies, but in saying this quote, he's affirming that he's still here through choice and not because no bugger else would have him.

Spot on Col that's exactly how I've taken it. He's is a more grounded bloke now. Earning double his wage for 6 months isn't as much as earning his current wage for five years!
News or not? on 11:09 - Aug 4 with 4295 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

News or not? on 12:12 - Aug 4 with 4173 viewsfitzochris

Clarity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36975133

News or not? on 13:17 - Aug 4 with 4045 viewsJimlidale

News or not? on 12:12 - Aug 4 by fitzochris

Clarity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36975133

I don't see anything wrong with him saying he had the opportunity to move but has chosen to stay.

Be interesting to know which club it was though
News or not? on 13:29 - Aug 4 with 4005 viewssykeboy

News or not? on 06:03 - Aug 4 by ColDale

I also think it's letting possible signing/targets know that he's not going anywhere so come and play for me
News or not? on 13:30 - Aug 4 with 4006 viewsfitzochris

News or not? on 13:17 - Aug 4 by Jimlidale

I don't see anything wrong with him saying he had the opportunity to move but has chosen to stay.

Be interesting to know which club it was though

There was a lot of noise about Blackburn and Bolton being interested, but it could have been a plethora of clubs really.

News or not? on 13:48 - Aug 4 with 3958 viewsScunnydale

It's a definite positive as far as I'm concerned. While he was being linked with Bolton/Blackburn etc, we wanted someone to come out and tell us Keith was staying. Alright, so it's a bit later, but that's exactly what Hill has done here. Yes, there was probably the opportunity to move on, but he's staying here and is letting people know.

There are quite often headlines along the lines of "Manager turns down job offer", and those are viewed from outside as: "Well, he must be doing a good job to get other offers. But if he's staying where he is, that club must be a good one".

As far as I can tell, this 'news' is good for both Hilly and Rochdale.
News or not? on 14:06 - Aug 4 with 3906 viewsalderleydale

News or not? on 13:30 - Aug 4 by fitzochris

There was a lot of noise about Blackburn and Bolton being interested, but it could have been a plethora of clubs really.

Fitz, you will know a lot more about the sports journalist Alan Nixon than me

He`s A big supporter of Partick Thistle I think

I follow him on Twitter and he always seems to have his finger on the pulse

He did post a tweet in the close season saying Hilly was in for the Charlton job

Did you hear anything along those lines??
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024