Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread 02:00 - Sep 14 with 43161 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 18 Sep 2016 14:09]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 18:59 - Sep 18 with 1756 viewslondonlisa2001

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 18:48 - Sep 18 by ItchySphincter

...and who would you bring in for Ki? Or do you have Ki blinkers on?

I think Ki is bang average at best - I've already said so. But at the moment he's not quite as bad as Siggy. Unfortunately we don't have 4 new midfielders to be able to drop them all.

I'd play Leon, one of Ki or Fer in the middle and the other instead of Siggy.

The other alternative would be play Leon, Fulton in the middle and them Fer instead of Siggy.
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 19:01 - Sep 18 with 1738 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 18:59 - Sep 18 by londonlisa2001

I think Ki is bang average at best - I've already said so. But at the moment he's not quite as bad as Siggy. Unfortunately we don't have 4 new midfielders to be able to drop them all.

I'd play Leon, one of Ki or Fer in the middle and the other instead of Siggy.

The other alternative would be play Leon, Fulton in the middle and them Fer instead of Siggy.

I don't see how this "The other alternative would be play Leon, Fulton in the middle and them Fer instead of Siggy. " could be any worse than the current mid field is.
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 19:18 - Sep 18 with 1673 viewsOldjack

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 18:50 - Sep 18 by ItchySphincter

You're a big Ki fan aren't you Al?

yes

This total confusion within our camp ,will be our downfall, the only saving grace is the seasons young and can be rectified but alas Franco won't be part of it is my guess

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 21:01 - Sep 18 with 1417 viewsbuilthjack

Just home from the game. What a shambles.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 21:07 - Sep 18 with 1397 viewsAlgorfajack

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 16:47 - Sep 18 by monmouth

It's impossible to pick one aspect of what's wrong with the team though, except maybe they are not a team. Just about everything is wrong. Attitude, control, motivation, passing, organisation, movement, shape, commitment, tactics, skills, intent, pace, ideas and teamwork.

Swapping one player in or out will not solve that.

That is so spot on!

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 21:46 - Sep 18 with 1324 viewslegoman

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 16:47 - Sep 18 by monmouth

It's impossible to pick one aspect of what's wrong with the team though, except maybe they are not a team. Just about everything is wrong. Attitude, control, motivation, passing, organisation, movement, shape, commitment, tactics, skills, intent, pace, ideas and teamwork.

Swapping one player in or out will not solve that.

Otherwise, OK?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 21:53 - Sep 18 with 1312 viewskarnataka

Got home about 6.30pm from Southampton but it's taken me until now to be able to get my head around what I'd actually watched and put something into words.

For most of the game, it looked like Southampton had 2, sometimes 3, more players than us. This was because their movement off the ball was so much better than ours. I don't think I've EVER seen a PL team more static than we were today. In the past we've had players like Britton, Allen and de Guzman who were instinctively able to find a pocket of space to be able to receive a pass from whoever had the ball, wherever they happened to be on the pitch so every player always had options as soon as they were in possession, no matter where they were. Today, 90% of the time, whoever received the ball, had at best, one player to pass to which usually meant backwards or sideways if we were lucky but hardly ever forwards.

This made our play slow, ponderous and negative because if nobody moves quickly into a position to receive a quick pass from a team mate after 1 or 2 touches and they have no options, everything just stagnates. Strikers don't get the ball in dangerous areas, wingers get boxed in, midfielders get closed down and defenders have to make panic clearances and this is precisely what we witnessed earlier today in all areas of the pitch time after time after time and it makes everything so easy for the opposition. It was truly depressing.

My point is, professional footballers should not have to be coached to do this. Movement off the ball is surely one of the most basic requirements of any footballer's skillset and requires no technical ability whatsoever, just the ability to run and they shouldn't even have to think about it.

So why did it not happen?
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 22:00 - Sep 18 with 1288 viewsbuilthjack

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 21:53 - Sep 18 by karnataka

Got home about 6.30pm from Southampton but it's taken me until now to be able to get my head around what I'd actually watched and put something into words.

For most of the game, it looked like Southampton had 2, sometimes 3, more players than us. This was because their movement off the ball was so much better than ours. I don't think I've EVER seen a PL team more static than we were today. In the past we've had players like Britton, Allen and de Guzman who were instinctively able to find a pocket of space to be able to receive a pass from whoever had the ball, wherever they happened to be on the pitch so every player always had options as soon as they were in possession, no matter where they were. Today, 90% of the time, whoever received the ball, had at best, one player to pass to which usually meant backwards or sideways if we were lucky but hardly ever forwards.

This made our play slow, ponderous and negative because if nobody moves quickly into a position to receive a quick pass from a team mate after 1 or 2 touches and they have no options, everything just stagnates. Strikers don't get the ball in dangerous areas, wingers get boxed in, midfielders get closed down and defenders have to make panic clearances and this is precisely what we witnessed earlier today in all areas of the pitch time after time after time and it makes everything so easy for the opposition. It was truly depressing.

My point is, professional footballers should not have to be coached to do this. Movement off the ball is surely one of the most basic requirements of any footballer's skillset and requires no technical ability whatsoever, just the ability to run and they shouldn't even have to think about it.

So why did it not happen?

Agree with this. Absolutely no movement off the ball. It was like watching sticks in the ground. Fine the tw@ts a fortnights wages for not trying.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 22:38 - Sep 18 with 1226 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I thought our "shape" looked alright at times for counter attacking, but like you say, players standing g about like statues within a system, whatever it is, is never going to work.

They seemed to know where to be for "attacking" or "defending" but had no idea or fluidity in moving or transitioning between the two.

Like Monkball on mogadon
[Post edited 18 Sep 2016 22:38]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 22:40 - Sep 18 with 1220 viewsJohnw102

Now back home from the match, I am one of the most positive people going, but sorry could not see one positive in that performance. The midfield was MIA Fer could be the new JJS and what has happend to GS23 this season? Llorente tries to play people in, but would be nice to see him take a shot now and again.SK was exposed without anyone coming back to help him. A lot here will not agree, but IMO we need a Routs type player, Barrow and Jeff are both fast, but they created nothing today. Up to the last 10 mins the travel Jacks were a credit to the club but like most of us quietend down towards the end and deserved better from the players after the time and money they spent. Masocist that I am I shall be there Wednesday & Saturday hope the second string on Wednesday do well enough for some of them to be given the chance on Saturday.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 23:54 - Sep 18 with 1133 viewsMolliemick

Not one of today's team was involved in saving the club or in raising us to the Premier League. The team only collect wages, they give little to the fans and clear off ASAP. Selling Ashley was a huge mistake. The club is in free fall. Only Fabianski would be able to compete in another Premier League Squad.
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 23:58 - Sep 18 with 1125 viewsjackrabbit

We can go on about formations all we like but the real issue is we do not have enough quality in the team. I watched in frustration today our efforts in and around their penalty box. Nobody could take ownership, make room and get a shot in. It was all tippy-tappy off loading - you have it- no you have it - no you have it and of course, inevitably, we lose possession. No individual flair, able to take on a defence and get a shot in. We were linked with players like Nathan Redmond - who despite his howler at missing a sitter today, was terrific- Nacer Chadli and Andros Townsend. That is the calibre of player we should have picked up in the transfer window. We lack that quality.

To be fair to Llorente - I watched him closely second half - he ran his lines and indicated with his arms where he wanted the ball to be slid through. It never was. That's because nobody was capable of making the pass.. I'm not excusing Llorente's ineffectiveness, but without some creativity in mid field, we are hamstrung.
The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 02:33 - Sep 19 with 1026 viewsphact0rri

uggh... just watched the match myself... we didn't look like ourselves at all. I'm not sure what I saw but it was frustrating to watch. I have no idea what is going on... but I'm sure the players were just as frustrated as I which might have to do with the lack of ambition. but whatever the plan of the match was... it was not working. we sat to deep and it made anything towards the saint's goal mouth not happening. we can't have such a constricted system with only one center forward. There was improvement when Bastion and montero came on as we had more support.

I think the gaffer just got it wrong, and unsure why changes weren't made at half time.

Normally a loss is fine and I like to support the club in the failing as well as the ascent. but this... it just felt from top to bottom they were already writing off the match about ten minutes in.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

The Offical Southampton FC Versus Swansea City Premier League Match Thread on 06:56 - Sep 19 with 986 viewsepaul

Let's not beat around the bush we were utter dogsh*te yesterday, awesome day out footie asides

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024