Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 12:20 - Jul 5 with 2792 viewsbanshee_72

Highlights of this game are on BT Sport 2 at 5pm today (5th July)
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 17:48 - Jul 5 with 2709 viewsmax936

Great game what an introduction to the First Division, unfortunately for me I missed the game was on way home from my Hols, great season that was though.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 20:38 - Jul 5 with 2633 viewsAnotherJohn

Went with a Leeds fan and stood under the then new stand. The memory is bitter sweet though because at that time many jobs were going in Swansea, and I soon had to find work far away so that most of the Swans games I saw for a while were on MoTD.
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 20:43 - Jul 5 with 2618 viewsOldjack

Awesome day, weather included ,i believe Liids went down that season aswell

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 20:46 - Jul 5 with 2619 viewsShonky

It was hot as fk that day.

Its just a ride...

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 20:54 - Jul 5 with 2603 viewsdickythorpe

My old man went ,and when he first took me to see the Swans I couldn't believe we used to be in the first Division. "I've got the programmes to prove it boy!"

I spent hours reading through them and still have the match day ticket.
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:05 - Jul 5 with 2592 viewsswancity

Really enjoyed that one on the North Bank. Boiling hot day, jam packed. Must have been around 25000 in the Vetch that day. That 5-1 win was the start of our best ever season and my personal favourite being the 2-2 away draw at Lverpool, then the mighty League Champions Liverpool being my favourite game.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:30 - Jul 5 with 2556 viewsOldjack

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:05 - Jul 5 by swancity

Really enjoyed that one on the North Bank. Boiling hot day, jam packed. Must have been around 25000 in the Vetch that day. That 5-1 win was the start of our best ever season and my personal favourite being the 2-2 away draw at Lverpool, then the mighty League Champions Liverpool being my favourite game.

Ipswich away was something special ,top team they were at the time

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:57 - Jul 5 with 2540 viewsswancity

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:30 - Jul 5 by Oldjack

It was mate I didn't go to that one but remember the highlights. Curtis goal was special wasn't it.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Login to get fewer ads

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:02 - Jul 5 with 2534 viewswhiterock

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:30 - Jul 5 by Oldjack

Away days back then usually meant meeting the bus at midnight the night before after a gallon in the local
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:12 - Jul 5 with 2522 viewsunion_jack

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:02 - Jul 5 by whiterock

Away days back then usually meant meeting the bus at midnight the night before after a gallon in the local

There was a football special train that day.im sure.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:12 - Jul 5 with 2522 viewsSwansNZ

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:57 - Jul 5 by swancity

It was mate I didn't go to that one but remember the highlights. Curtis goal was special wasn't it.

I believe it was on the Big Match, on the Sunday.

Back to the Leeds game, you could not have dreamt for a better start to our first ever season in the top division.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:19 - Jul 5 with 2509 viewskarnataka

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:57 - Jul 5 by swancity

For me, best Swans performance of that era. Fantastic performance against a superb team, spoilt a bit for me by my brother falling down the terracing and spraining his ankle when the 3rd goal went in.
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:59 - Jul 5 with 2473 viewsTNT

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:19 - Jul 5 by karnataka

For me, best Swans performance of that era. Fantastic performance against a superb team, spoilt a bit for me by my brother falling down the terracing and spraining his ankle when the 3rd goal went in.

Great game at Portman Road. Went on the 'Special' train. Think the score went 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, with a top drawer goal from Curt. Took photos at the game, but some guy kept holding a packet of Walkers crisps aloft - blocking my view. Cheese and onion they were, if you're reading, YJB!

It doesn't get better than that Leeds game either. Brilliant day, football, weather, support, goals, result... it had it all.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:35 - Jul 6 with 2317 viewsmalagajack

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 21:05 - Jul 5 by swancity

Missed the Leeds game as I was working in the Bush in sketty that afternoon but was at anfield for the 2-2 , great day out.
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 23:10 - Jul 6 with 2301 viewsspiderboy

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:35 - Jul 6 by malagajack

Missed the Leeds game as I was working in the Bush in sketty that afternoon but was at anfield for the 2-2 , great day out.

I was there
Missed my sisters wedding for it
She aint forgiven me yet
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 14:50 - Jul 8 with 2174 viewsmorristonboy

Just watched the recording, great memories. Always a shock to see no replays, interviews and the rest, how did we cope?
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 15:19 - Jul 8 with 2157 viewsFieryJack

Recently talking to a Leeds fan who went to this game. He said there were 1000s of Leeds fans on their way to the game getting boiled alive stuck in a coach jam in the terraced streets near the ground, and that people - mostly elderly ladies - were coming out of the houses with jugs and glasses of water for the parched Yorkshire men - in the days before the bottled water scam took over.

Well, there's Welsh hospitality for you!

We used to sing "Land of my Fathers" back then, towards the end of the game. Pity we can't go back to doing that - am sure it would impress the English fans more than Hymns & Arias.

Once heard there was some trouble from Leeds fans after this game, but can't recall owt myself. Something & nothing, probably.
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 15:45 - Jul 8 with 2145 viewsjack_lord

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 15:19 - Jul 8 by FieryJack

Recently talking to a Leeds fan who went to this game. He said there were 1000s of Leeds fans on their way to the game getting boiled alive stuck in a coach jam in the terraced streets near the ground, and that people - mostly elderly ladies - were coming out of the houses with jugs and glasses of water for the parched Yorkshire men - in the days before the bottled water scam took over.

Well, there's Welsh hospitality for you!

We used to sing "Land of my Fathers" back then, towards the end of the game. Pity we can't go back to doing that - am sure it would impress the English fans more than Hymns & Arias.

Once heard there was some trouble from Leeds fans after this game, but can't recall owt myself. Something & nothing, probably.

I think there was a bit of trouble before the game as well. My memory says up by high street station and in the Quadrant.

Boiling day that just got better and better.

Was that the first time "We'll take more care of you, Latchford" was sung?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 16:09 - Jul 8 with 2126 viewsdobjack2

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 22:02 - Jul 5 by whiterock

Aye and laughing like feck when someone woke up on a bus going to the north east who didn't know where they were and had only got on the bus because it seemed like a good idea at the time.😊
Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 10:19 - Jul 9 with 1971 viewstrampie

I was there for the Leeds home game and Liverpool and Ipswich away games.
There again I was there for all home games and the majority of away games that season.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 16:41 - Jul 9 with 1922 viewsPrivate_Partz

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 15:45 - Jul 8 by jack_lord

I think there was a bit of trouble before the game as well. My memory says up by high street station and in the Quadrant.

I was there. Yes there was some trouble. They actually tried to set fire to the Double Decker by hanging burning scarves from the top of the pillars as they stood underneath. That stand was the ultimate death trap.
I have got a first day cover stamp thingy somewhere commemorating our first top flight game. In those days stamp collecting was in vogue. :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 19:20 - Jul 9 with 1875 viewsDewi1jack

Nostalgia Time - Swansea v Leeds 1981 on 15:45 - Jul 8 by jack_lord

I got a slap on the way home waiting for the bus up by the "Albert Hall" when they were on the way back to the rail station.
Still a cracking start to the season.

Remember the old football specials. Always enjoyed them as it was a fug of a lot better than the old charabancs we used to travel on.
Used to go away a fair bit with the Neef boys on a ken Hopkins back then as well

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024