Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA chairman gone 17:31 - Nov 10 with 2184 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FA chairman gone on 17:45 - Nov 10 with 2152 viewsSuddenLad

Another witch-hunt gets an early scalp. Did he unintentionally choose a word which caused offence, or did he intentionally set out to offend? When did we, as a society, stop accepting apologies from people who make mistakes?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

FA chairman gone on 18:05 - Nov 10 with 2096 viewskel

FA chairman gone on 17:45 - Nov 10 by SuddenLad

Another witch-hunt gets an early scalp. Did he unintentionally choose a word which caused offence, or did he intentionally set out to offend? When did we, as a society, stop accepting apologies from people who make mistakes?

The irony of this post is strong.
FA chairman gone on 18:05 - Nov 10 with 2093 viewsdingdangblue

Can anyone explain why saying 'coloured' is deemed offensive but saying 'people of colour' is acceptable?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

FA chairman gone on 18:33 - Nov 10 with 2047 viewsrafc1984

I personally think its a very sad state of affairs if its got to this. The terminology he used is absolutely not racist. Many people of older generation use words such as these.
An unfortunate choice of words for today's society and your career and reputation is destroyed in no time at all.
FA chairman gone on 18:35 - Nov 10 with 2038 viewsNigeriamark

FA chairman gone on 18:05 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

Can anyone explain why saying 'coloured' is deemed offensive but saying 'people of colour' is acceptable?

There is no sensible explanation. As someone who thinks it is still a white mans world ( although improving significantly), it is right to keep pushing for equality based on gender, ethnicity, sexual preference etc

However it reaches a point where doing the right thing turns into overly doo gooding and political correctness. This guy has clearly been at the front of trying to push fairness for all but because he may have said some words out of context or without thinking or just by mistake he has lost his job

In the end it is counter productive because some of those who may be opening their minds because of decent equality campaigns that focus on the big picture, just end up feeling that these minority groups want more than equality
FA chairman gone on 19:07 - Nov 10 with 1973 viewsmikehunt

I haven’t credited John Barnes with much nous previously but he has redeemed himself massively in my eyes today. On Radio 4’s 1 o’clock news he confounded everyone by saying he hadn’t come on the program to berate the FA bloke but to accept his apology. He said people of a certain age used certain accepted terminology at the time and, occasionally, tripped over modern convention. He said one had to look at the context the term was used in. Correct.
Not only that, though, he said this issue had totally diverted attention away from the main (and In this case, far more important) topic of funding for lower league clubs.
Good on yer John Barnes. He would not be dragged into trying to make an issue of this incident.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

FA chairman gone on 19:10 - Nov 10 with 1955 viewsnordenblue

I wouldnt worry yourself too much with it ddb this time next week it will be some other word or term causing such hardship and trauma, in a world when every fooker is offended by everything
FA chairman gone on 19:11 - Nov 10 with 1954 viewsNigeriamark

FA chairman gone on 19:07 - Nov 10 by mikehunt

I haven’t credited John Barnes with much nous previously but he has redeemed himself massively in my eyes today. On Radio 4’s 1 o’clock news he confounded everyone by saying he hadn’t come on the program to berate the FA bloke but to accept his apology. He said people of a certain age used certain accepted terminology at the time and, occasionally, tripped over modern convention. He said one had to look at the context the term was used in. Correct.
Not only that, though, he said this issue had totally diverted attention away from the main (and In this case, far more important) topic of funding for lower league clubs.
Good on yer John Barnes. He would not be dragged into trying to make an issue of this incident.

I think I was trying to say the same in my reply, but yours explains it better with a real example. Spot on
Login to get fewer ads

FA chairman gone on 21:26 - Nov 10 with 1831 viewsrochdaleriddler

FA chairman gone on 17:45 - Nov 10 by SuddenLad

Didn’t he say girls don’t like playing on muddy pitches as well, and some guff about blacks and Asians favouring different career paths. He is only really guilty of perpetuating stereotypes, rather than saying anything racist. However I’m not black, Asian or a women so what do I know

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

FA chairman gone on 21:29 - Nov 10 with 1819 viewsD_Alien

FA chairman gone on 21:26 - Nov 10 by rochdaleriddler

Didn’t he say girls don’t like playing on muddy pitches as well, and some guff about blacks and Asians favouring different career paths. He is only really guilty of perpetuating stereotypes, rather than saying anything racist. However I’m not black, Asian or a women so what do I know

he said girls don't like hard balls hit at them...

FA chairman gone on 21:31 - Nov 10 with 1806 viewsjudd

FA chairman gone on 21:29 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

Come off it...

Poll: What is it to be then?

FA chairman gone on 21:34 - Nov 10 with 1791 viewsnordenblue

FA chairman gone on 21:31 - Nov 10 by judd

Come off it...

Maybe a little bit..
FA chairman gone on 22:15 - Nov 10 with 1732 viewsrochdaleriddler

FA chairman gone on 21:29 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

I heard something about goalkeepers and muddy pitches as well, I could be hallucinating though . He had previously dismissed institutional racism claims as ‘fluff’ . The speed with which the knives were drawn suggests people were looking at ways to get shut of him and he scored an own goal

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

FA chairman gone on 10:58 - Nov 11 with 1543 viewsjonahwhereru

Labels! Who needs them. Historically coloured was a term used by white Americans who had privileges about both free and enslaved black Americans. The term also came to be used in Britain. Person of color is a term adopted by black American people to describe themselves. Halle Berry’s use of this phrase when describing herself at the Oscars was one of the first times this phrase came to prominence.
I used to do some educational pieces on equality at that time and can’t say the phrase appealed to me but it is now very common currency. But I think it is the origin of each term which makes the difference.
Having said all that you only have to watch the Denzil Washington film Fences to see how personal labels can be.
As for Clark.it was a real horror show. It left the FA open to to much criticism for being behind the equality curve if he stayed in place. Sad end though.
FA chairman gone on 12:04 - Nov 11 with 1493 viewsoff2div1

Who next for the job?
FA chairman gone on 19:46 - Nov 11 with 1375 viewsDiddyDave

FA chairman gone on 10:58 - Nov 11 by jonahwhereru

Labels! Who needs them. Historically coloured was a term used by white Americans who had privileges about both free and enslaved black Americans. The term also came to be used in Britain. Person of color is a term adopted by black American people to describe themselves. Halle Berry’s use of this phrase when describing herself at the Oscars was one of the first times this phrase came to prominence.
I used to do some educational pieces on equality at that time and can’t say the phrase appealed to me but it is now very common currency. But I think it is the origin of each term which makes the difference.
Having said all that you only have to watch the Denzil Washington film Fences to see how personal labels can be.
As for Clark.it was a real horror show. It left the FA open to to much criticism for being behind the equality curve if he stayed in place. Sad end though.

Coloureds was a term also used in South Africa during apartheid. They had,blacks,whites and coloureds,one of whom was cricketer Basil D`Oliveira who came to play cricket and ultimately to live in the UK in the sixties. A fine all rounder who played for Worcestershire from memory,he played a few tests for England,but was sensationally "not selected" for England`s upcoming tour of South Africa about 1968. It was obvious the South Africans had told the MCC that the tour could not go ahead if they selected a "black or coloured player". However,one of the selected players,Tom Graveney,I think,got injured and was unable to go,so the MCC reluctantly selected D`Oliveira as his replacement and the tour was canned.
Rugby Union tours to South Africa were also affected by the colour of skin. The NZRFU for the 1949 and 1960 tours were told in no uncertain terms to "not select" people of dark skin,Maoris,to which they disgracefully happily acceded,but for the 1976 tour,things had improved slightly. The South Africans said the All Blacks could select non whites,but they were to be named "honourary whites" and of course,to their shame again,the NZRFU happily agreed. The 1981 tour to New Zealand by the Springboks caused uproar,the game against Waikato in Hamilton had to be cancelled due to the amount of protesters inside the ground,and the final test in Auckland was only remembered for the small plane that flew overhead throughout the game dropping bags of flour on to Eden Park.
Err,just sayin.
FA chairman gone on 19:58 - Nov 11 with 1355 views442Dale

Before he played for Worcestershire and England, D’Oliveira played for Middleton in the CLL.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

FA chairman gone on 20:11 - Nov 11 with 1333 views49thseason

"he played a few tests for England"
44 Tests is hardly a few with 70 innings (8NO) and 2484 runs at 40.1
FA chairman gone on 20:32 - Nov 11 with 1302 viewspioneer

Cricket commentator John Arlott refused to travel to South Africa for England tours after on his first visit he reacted to the SA entry form where you had to answer the question ‘race’ and he claims he was harrassed by authorities when he answered the question ‘human’.
FA chairman gone on 20:41 - Nov 11 with 1291 viewsDiddyDave

FA chairman gone on 20:11 - Nov 11 by 49thseason

I said by 1968. Did you not read that bit?
FA chairman gone on 21:00 - Nov 11 with 1283 viewsD_Alien

FA chairman gone on 20:41 - Nov 11 by DiddyDave

I said by 1968. Did you not read that bit?

It struck me that 49th had misinterpreted your post. D'Oliveira's test career was just starting to blossom at the time of the SA tour, and he'd hit a big ton shortly before the events you detailed

FA chairman gone on 21:15 - Nov 11 with 1263 viewsdownunder

FA chairman gone on 20:11 - Nov 11 by 49thseason

Remember him. Decent bowler as well, medium pace, very accurate if I recall correctly.
FA chairman gone on 21:27 - Nov 11 with 1248 viewsmikehunt

I refer to the John Barnes interview again where he stated that "coloured" is still an acceptable term in South Africa, denoting a certain skin colour, and that Pinaar from, Everton, regards himself as such. Blame JB if that is not the case.
Re. the FA bloke, I hadn't realised but he does appear to have previous, so attempts to defend him are a little tenuous.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

FA chairman gone on 21:59 - Nov 11 with 1222 viewsDiddyDave

FA chairman gone on 19:46 - Nov 11 by DiddyDave

Coloureds was a term also used in South Africa during apartheid. They had,blacks,whites and coloureds,one of whom was cricketer Basil D`Oliveira who came to play cricket and ultimately to live in the UK in the sixties. A fine all rounder who played for Worcestershire from memory,he played a few tests for England,but was sensationally "not selected" for England`s upcoming tour of South Africa about 1968. It was obvious the South Africans had told the MCC that the tour could not go ahead if they selected a "black or coloured player". However,one of the selected players,Tom Graveney,I think,got injured and was unable to go,so the MCC reluctantly selected D`Oliveira as his replacement and the tour was canned.
Rugby Union tours to South Africa were also affected by the colour of skin. The NZRFU for the 1949 and 1960 tours were told in no uncertain terms to "not select" people of dark skin,Maoris,to which they disgracefully happily acceded,but for the 1976 tour,things had improved slightly. The South Africans said the All Blacks could select non whites,but they were to be named "honourary whites" and of course,to their shame again,the NZRFU happily agreed. The 1981 tour to New Zealand by the Springboks caused uproar,the game against Waikato in Hamilton had to be cancelled due to the amount of protesters inside the ground,and the final test in Auckland was only remembered for the small plane that flew overhead throughout the game dropping bags of flour on to Eden Park.
Err,just sayin.

The joke going around New Zealand at the time of the 1981 tour was; Why does it take the Springboks so long to travel from one part of NZ to the next? Answer; Because Chester Williams (their top winger and one of only two non white players in the squad) can only carry two pieces of luggage at once.
FA chairman gone on 22:04 - Nov 11 with 1214 viewspioneer

Chester died last year following a heart attack. Quite a few of the 1995 world cup winning springbok team have passed away.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024