Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton 14:05 - Nov 23 with 13523 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53452/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:52 - Nov 25 with 1563 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:16 - Nov 25 by BillyRudd

In days gone by when life itself, including football was,nt plagued with over complication and theorising there were a couple of simple mantras in the game.
"Don,t change a winning side" for which admittedly we have currently had little chance to implement and "play your best eleven" which BBM can do. On that basis there should be no way that Beesley is on the sheet before Bah if actually winning games is the priority as opposed to sticking with a football theory that is patently failing us and alienating an appreciable percentage of supporters.
Regarding Bah there was a third belief in "if you are good enough, you are old enough". I,m not saying he is a class act or even the finished product but for 15 mins he managed to turn a predictable team into an unpredictable team which is what you need against teams parking the bus. Yes he,s learning and won,t have that impact every game but as Shun points out, its down to BBM which is why I expect Beesley will start the next game.
I also expect Keohane and Bola to carry on constantly back passing with very little willingness to drive forward because that is how they are being told to play.
Up the Dale
ps I think Curle might be reflecting today on what the outcome would have been if they had made a game of it because we patently could,nt handle their big man up front on crosses but their endeavour to get crosses over was non existent in the second half. Such is the state of the thinking in the game today.

Quite harsh on Keohane that, he got forward well last night, especially in the 2nd half down the left.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 11:32 - Nov 25 with 1488 viewsgolfaduffy

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:52 - Nov 25 by dingdangblue

Quite harsh on Keohane that, he got forward well last night, especially in the 2nd half down the left.

Both Keohane and Bola passed the ball backwards most of the time last night. It was only in the last 15 or so minutes that Keohane got forward more. Another poor game upto then.

It must be orders, and a lack of confidence. Bola has regressed from an attacking player into an ultra negative one.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 12:35 - Nov 25 with 1403 viewsSaxonDale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 11:32 - Nov 25 by golfaduffy

Both Keohane and Bola passed the ball backwards most of the time last night. It was only in the last 15 or so minutes that Keohane got forward more. Another poor game upto then.

It must be orders, and a lack of confidence. Bola has regressed from an attacking player into an ultra negative one.

Definitely won't be orders- Bola seemed to be taken off solely because he wasn't attacking enough.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 12:44 - Nov 25 with 1388 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 12:35 - Nov 25 by SaxonDale

Definitely won't be orders- Bola seemed to be taken off solely because he wasn't attacking enough.

Maybe a crisis of confidence

For a young lad coming from the youth setup at a Premier League team where he'll have been surrounded by other technically talented lads, the hustle for points in L1 and our dismal form of late can't be easy to absorb - which is precisely why he's here in a way, to learn about the business end of the game. BBM will be protective of that and may have to review his loan if he proves not quite ready mentally

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 12:56 - Nov 25 with 1363 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:51 - Nov 25 by AtThePeake

Couldn't agree more with that last line. I was stunned that they didn't even try to use some width on the counter-attack and try and get a few more crosses into the box as I'm certain they'd have had chances had they utilised Smith a bit more.

On Baah, I think his pace and trickery was more effective against tired legs than it would've been from the start last night and I remember quite a few games last season where he was a passenger after starting the game (Accrington away notwithstanding). Plus, at 17, with the health problems he has had in the past and having just suffered a fairly lengthy injury lay-off, I'd be surprised if he is starting in the next few games. That said, he completely changed the game when he came on and if he is the player most likely to unlock a defence, then he should be on the pitch for as long as possible. It's a tough one to call.

Good point about tired legs, which being honest, I had,nt factored in. Also the longer he is on the pitch, defenders start anticipating his desire to cut in on his right leg and he gets easier to read and crowded out. I also recall he had a nightmare against Newcastle where he was subbed early on as something was obviously not right. I can,t imagine it was confidence as he does,nt appear to be lacking that quality. But I come back to my original tenet that not starting your best players is a complication and luxury we can ill afford at the moment. Especially with 5 subs its hardly a disaster if its not working. I,m certainly not saying he is the lad that will keep us in Lge 1 but he was definitely underused last night and thats down to BBM.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 13:48 - Nov 25 with 1252 viewsfitzochris

BBM's post-match interview is interesting.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/november/interview_bbm-post-northampton/

Firstly, he echoes my own thoughts on the game - that essentially we played better than on Saturday, but can do better still and need to start taking our chances sooner rather than later. Yep, agreed.

"I’ve been very conscious of trying to stay balanced when the results haven’t gone well but that gets harder because the moments become difficult and you start to - it’s human nature - question are we creating enough chances, are we going to score enough goals, so to get a goal and to create good chances in the second half was very rewarding for us. The next part of that is creating more of those chances and scoring the goals.

“That [the end product] is still something that we consistently we want to improve on. And even tonight, although we got the goal and a result, we can definitely do better with that. The players are fully aware of that and it’s something that they also want to improve.”

But then he goes on to talk about how we as supporters should see this squad as being in a transitional state.

“The evolution of the team is going to take quite a while, but even in defeat in the last couple of weeks, I feel like it’s a very exciting team for everybody to look forward to. That’s certainly the way I felt and I hope our supporters share that optimism despite the recent results going against us.

“We’ve had a lot of change but I just genuinely, if I was in the shoes of a Rochdale supporter, which I am, see it as being a very exciting time for us where the team is naturally changing. And not necessarily just the younger brigade, a combination of that and seeing Haydon Roberts and Kwadwo Baah have such an impact on the game, as well as Stephen Humphrys and Jake Beesley doing work for the players, I think that it’s going to be a very exciting time. It might not always be easy this season, but I think it will be exciting.”

There is no talk about staving off relegation, being up for the fight etc etc, just that supporters should be excited. One could argue that the team doesn't have time to evolve, as we are already on the back foot - but then, if it doesn't evolve, we are only heading one way. So I read it as BBM saying he is tactically flexible and will chop and change personnel as much as it takes to get it right. I find that reassuring as long as we see evidence of improvement. No one expects this to be a cakewalk, but staying in this division should be the absolute minimum requirement and we've got one point from six against teams we need to be aiming to finish above.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 14:16 - Nov 25 with 1204 views49thseason

I don't have any problem with most of that. It would be hard to imagine that BBM and his staff don't see what most of us on here see. Staying in L1 is never going to be easy when you start the season with a huge clear out and then run into the sort of circumstances we are now enduring. Signing Humphrys was a big statement and one which has been stymied for the better part of a quarter of a season, 10 or 12 goals from now to May would be a decent haul. The other forwards have been willing if inexperienced but the midfield seems to have been misfiring for a while with Rathbone seemingly a stretch away from his best, Ryan probably proving why he has ended up at Rochdale and Lund starting well but maybe not now quite the influence he was when the season started.
Getting the whole thing to click into place is a daunting task and a real test of Management but at least we are still in the game and as ever a couple of wins would be great. Last night was a peep behind the curtain at what might be possible if the whole team starts to sing from the same hymn sheet
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 15:05 - Nov 25 with 1144 viewsJames1980

Has the ref thread been deleted?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 17:15 - Nov 25 with 1012 viewsEllDale

Looking at Humphrys' goal from behind the net a couple of the Northampton defenders look less than impressed with the keeper and told him so.
That shouldn't detract from a sensational effort.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 17:49 - Nov 25 with 968 viewsrichfoad32

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 17:15 - Nov 25 by EllDale

Looking at Humphrys' goal from behind the net a couple of the Northampton defenders look less than impressed with the keeper and told him so.

The keeper moved about as slow for the free kick as he did for goal kicks, justice was served.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 18:47 - Nov 25 with 902 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 15:05 - Nov 25 by James1980

Has the ref thread been deleted?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 19:02 - Nov 25 with 884 viewsaleanddale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 17:49 - Nov 25 by richfoad32

The keeper moved about as slow for the free kick as he did for goal kicks, justice was served.

The first half was only marginally better than Saturday.

Better second half and we really clicked when Baah came on and had a fine Cameo. If he Is fit and can do that for even 70 mins he has to start v Lincoln on Tuesday.

Humphrys was a positive and he will only get better and better as he gets fitter and up to speed.

We are not world beaters but there is enough light in that last 20 minutes to give us some cause for optimism.

We look so much better taking the game to sides and attacking with pace and purpose. How we can do that away from home for 90 minutes remains a puzzle for BBM to solve. We can compete and I just hope we have enough to finish outside the bottom 4.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 19:13 - Nov 25 with 863 viewsRotherhamDale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 17:15 - Nov 25 by EllDale

It looked like he was blaming the wall straight away, so they told him it went in on his side of the goal, which it did.

Possession with progression.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024