Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final 15:01 - Apr 6 with 9922 viewsSuddenLad

[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 15:02]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 17:05 - Apr 15 with 3551 viewsboromat

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 15:06 - Apr 15 by James1980

Isn't it an unconfirmed rumour at the moment?

Yeah it's not come from the club.

Edit: did a search

[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 17:07]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 21:34 - Apr 15 with 3358 viewsShun

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 23:58 - Apr 14 by springfieldparka

I'd be interested to know how often you've been to matches to watch these youth players or is this just another bandwagon on which to jump as it passes by ? Certainly I have seen no second year scholar this time around who has really stood out . Kinsella looked a reasonable prospect to me early doors but appears not to have kicked on , and Wright seemed to have a bit of something as a goalscorer but I actually trust the judgment of their coaches as to how they've performed and developed over the two years .

Unfortunately you can't lay the blame at someone's door with that philosophy and actual experience of watching and judging the youth team .

I think you're missing the point here ever so slightly, springfield. The concern is that this decision hasn't been made by the coaches who watch them every week, but by someone higher up the chain of command, and that the decision was made for anything but footballing reasons.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 12:56 - Apr 21 with 3156 viewsShun

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 21:34 - Apr 15 by Shun

I think you're missing the point here ever so slightly, springfield. The concern is that this decision hasn't been made by the coaches who watch them every week, but by someone higher up the chain of command, and that the decision was made for anything but footballing reasons.

https://t.co/lrNRBPuAWI

Blackburn take one of them on trial, perhaps substantiating these concerns.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 13:50 - Apr 21 with 3071 viewsfitzochris

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 12:56 - Apr 21 by Shun

https://t.co/lrNRBPuAWI

Blackburn take one of them on trial, perhaps substantiating these concerns.

You can add Cardiff, Burnley and Stoke to the list too, Shun.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 17:58 - Apr 21 with 2873 viewsboromat

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 13:50 - Apr 21 by fitzochris

You can add Cardiff, Burnley and Stoke to the list too, Shun.

Sounds pretty disastrous when you see which clubs are picking them up but if we weren't going to play them or couldn't see a development plan that was advantageous to us maybe it didn't make sense to offer any of them deals.

As fans we always want to see young local lads coming through. Think last year we just got the one in Dunne and this year we've got the one in Brierley. We've also still have Bradley, Wade, Mulvey and Hopper who haven't managed to break into the first team.

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 20:00 - Apr 21 with 2815 views49thseason

Burnley invented this "academy" type of system and for many years brought a single player into their 1st team squad and eventually sold them on, Ralph Coates being one,of their many succeses. Since 1936 they have developed dozens of internationals many of whom are more closely associated with other clubs eg. Lee Dixon and Trevor Steven. In recent years the flow has slowed down and the internationals have become less frequent, probably a result of the number of academies chasing kids.

Its inevitable that some year groups may not be able to add to what the RAFC already has and it may be that one or perhaps two of the released kids goes on to a stellar career the important thing is to hang on to the ones you are most certain about.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 21:13 - Apr 21 with 2720 viewsjonahwhereru

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 20:00 - Apr 21 by 49thseason

Burnley invented this "academy" type of system and for many years brought a single player into their 1st team squad and eventually sold them on, Ralph Coates being one,of their many succeses. Since 1936 they have developed dozens of internationals many of whom are more closely associated with other clubs eg. Lee Dixon and Trevor Steven. In recent years the flow has slowed down and the internationals have become less frequent, probably a result of the number of academies chasing kids.

Its inevitable that some year groups may not be able to add to what the RAFC already has and it may be that one or perhaps two of the released kids goes on to a stellar career the important thing is to hang on to the ones you are most certain about.

I agree with your last paragraph 49th. Tony Ellis et al have earned the right not to be second guessed by the likes of me about assessing who may and may not make it into either a 100 plus appearance Dale player like Camps, or a Matheson who they can turn a profit on quickly.
The other day I put this team together who had been attached to our academy at some stage.

Gilks
Matheson
Grand
Bayliss
Tanser
Cannon
Allen
Camps
Morley
Buckley
Hogan

The last named could easily have slipped the net, but the coaches have to make a call and the rest of them show they are pretty good judges. Ethan Brierley is the one that is currently raising expectations. I hope they are right. Of the first year’s Thomas is one I think has a chance.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 21:17]
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 21:20 - Apr 21 with 2710 viewsJames1980

How difficult would it be for the club to put out a statement about this matter. Even if it was just to say no decision has been made or we will do what we believe is best for the club and support any of our scholars in any way we are able to whether they stay with the club or not.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Login to get fewer ads

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 22:05 - Apr 21 with 2669 viewsfitzochris

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 21:13 - Apr 21 by jonahwhereru

I agree with your last paragraph 49th. Tony Ellis et al have earned the right not to be second guessed by the likes of me about assessing who may and may not make it into either a 100 plus appearance Dale player like Camps, or a Matheson who they can turn a profit on quickly.
The other day I put this team together who had been attached to our academy at some stage.

Gilks
Matheson
Grand
Bayliss
Tanser
Cannon
Allen
Camps
Morley
Buckley
Hogan

The last named could easily have slipped the net, but the coaches have to make a call and the rest of them show they are pretty good judges. Ethan Brierley is the one that is currently raising expectations. I hope they are right. Of the first year’s Thomas is one I think has a chance.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 21:17]

Is it Tony Ellis’s decision?

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 09:57 - Apr 22 with 2511 viewsAtThePeake

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 22:05 - Apr 21 by fitzochris

Is it Tony Ellis’s decision?

If Tony Ellis has decided that these players aren't going to be good enough to play for Rochdale, you have to wonder what the Championship and Premier League coaches who are taking a look at them are seeing in them? Or is it just that these clubs can afford to take more risks on players than us?

I've been surprised by how little we've utilised the academy this season. I seem to remember in the summer that everyone felt some of the younger players on the fringes of the squad would be trusted with more minutes but even despite the mass of injuries, I think there has only been one start for Brierley and a handful of sub appearances for him and Hopper. Nothing for Dunne or Bradley.

For a club that needs to rely on it's academy to keep producing first-team players and sellable assets, to only have one player who has come through the academy making more than one league start all season (Morley) is worrying, especially if we don't have the resource to take a chance on our own graduates even when they have enough ability for Championship and Premier League clubs feel they're worth taking a look at.

The academy has been a great source of pride for the club and the fans in recent years and it's reputation undoubtedly attracts young players who see Dale as a place where there is a clear progression route to the first-team but it only takes a couple of poorly-handled years to undo all that good work and for that reputation to unravel.

Tangled up in blue.

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 10:14 - Apr 22 with 2488 viewsseasidedale

Who are Burnley, Cardiff and Stoke looking at ?
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 11:37 - Apr 22 with 2426 viewsfitzochris

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 09:57 - Apr 22 by AtThePeake

If Tony Ellis has decided that these players aren't going to be good enough to play for Rochdale, you have to wonder what the Championship and Premier League coaches who are taking a look at them are seeing in them? Or is it just that these clubs can afford to take more risks on players than us?

I've been surprised by how little we've utilised the academy this season. I seem to remember in the summer that everyone felt some of the younger players on the fringes of the squad would be trusted with more minutes but even despite the mass of injuries, I think there has only been one start for Brierley and a handful of sub appearances for him and Hopper. Nothing for Dunne or Bradley.

For a club that needs to rely on it's academy to keep producing first-team players and sellable assets, to only have one player who has come through the academy making more than one league start all season (Morley) is worrying, especially if we don't have the resource to take a chance on our own graduates even when they have enough ability for Championship and Premier League clubs feel they're worth taking a look at.

The academy has been a great source of pride for the club and the fans in recent years and it's reputation undoubtedly attracts young players who see Dale as a place where there is a clear progression route to the first-team but it only takes a couple of poorly-handled years to undo all that good work and for that reputation to unravel.

Tony Ellis hasn't decided these players aren't good enough.

And all of the other points you raise are extremely valid with this in mind.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 11:45]

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 14:35 - Apr 22 with 2267 viewsShun

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 11:37 - Apr 22 by fitzochris

Exactly the concern I was getting at a few days ago. I do wonder what our unwell chairman thinks about this, given his magnum opus is the Academy.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 15:02 - Apr 22 with 2245 viewsdawlishdale

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 11:37 - Apr 22 by fitzochris

If Tony Ellis is not the person deciding; then who is ?

This is quite serious, seeing as the whole ethos of the club over the last 15 years or so has been to identify and develop youth players.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:30 - Apr 22 with 2154 viewsD_Alien

Given the costs of maintaining our academy, just what on earth do those in charge think they're doing if there are players who're good enough to be given a further chance at higher status clubs?

What a monumental waste of resources it'd prove to be. And not only that. If, as Fitz indicates, decisions are being made based on something other than player potential, do the club expect Tony Ellis to just take that on the chin? I wouldn't, i'd be looking to ply my proven development skills elsewhere
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 16:31]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:36 - Apr 22 with 2143 viewsfitzochris

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:30 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

Given the costs of maintaining our academy, just what on earth do those in charge think they're doing if there are players who're good enough to be given a further chance at higher status clubs?

What a monumental waste of resources it'd prove to be. And not only that. If, as Fitz indicates, decisions are being made based on something other than player potential, do the club expect Tony Ellis to just take that on the chin? I wouldn't, i'd be looking to ply my proven development skills elsewhere
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 16:31]

I'm not saying a decision hasn't been made based on someone's judgement of the players' potential, just that I am told Tony Ellis didn't make that decision.

It does beg the question as to the level of resource put into developing these players and the merits of it if swathes are going to go on and benefit other clubs at our level and above and at our cost.

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 17:04 - Apr 22 with 2112 viewsSandyman

"Serious internal issues" as our American shareholders might say?
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 18:15 - Apr 22 with 2046 viewsboromat

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:36 - Apr 22 by fitzochris

I'm not saying a decision hasn't been made based on someone's judgement of the players' potential, just that I am told Tony Ellis didn't make that decision.

It does beg the question as to the level of resource put into developing these players and the merits of it if swathes are going to go on and benefit other clubs at our level and above and at our cost.

This is the 'problem' with how things have developed with other clubs getting rid of their youth setups in favour of an U23s setup. We become more of a feeder club to all these U23 teams because we don't have the funds to keep all the players on but other clubs have moved their emphasis and are using their money to develop up until 23. It's difficult to see the right way forward and in some ways we're trying to do both with some players signing as development prospects like Baah, Odoh and Mulvey.

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 20:30 - Apr 22 with 1889 viewsJames1980

What's the word on the local streets. Are any of you aware of parents who were planning to get there kids involved with Dale's academy setup who are reconsidering because of these recent 'rumours'?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 14:52 - Apr 24 with 1651 viewsShun

Another good win today for the kids (5-1 at Accy). Louie Chorlton (soon to be released and turn up at a Championship club) gets his 17th (seventeenth!) assist of the season. Thomas gets two more goals.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 15:10 - Apr 24 with 1615 viewsfitzochris

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 14:52 - Apr 24 by Shun

Another good win today for the kids (5-1 at Accy). Louie Chorlton (soon to be released and turn up at a Championship club) gets his 17th (seventeenth!) assist of the season. Thomas gets two more goals.

Nock and Chalton already on trial elsewhere too.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 15:11]

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 14:40 - Apr 27 with 1407 viewsSuddenLad

Another fine display and excellent result.

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:03 - Apr 29 with 1222 viewsSuddenLad

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 10:48 - Apr 30 with 1031 viewsDalenet

So after their win at Tranmere they now top the table with one game to go. Well done lads.

They travel next week to Gillingham for the Youth League final. Good luck and enjoy.
Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 14:24 - Apr 30 with 890 viewsShun

Academy team win Youth Alliance Cup Northern Final on 16:36 - Apr 22 by fitzochris

I also heard the same. I spoke to a club employee a few days ago who is involved in the academy, and he confirmed that the decision was 100% taken out of Ellis’ hands, and it was a decision he was unhappy with. I was quite surprised by the confirmation of who actually did make the decision.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024