Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Queen 13:08 - Sep 8 with 59330 viewsSuperhoops2808

As if we didnt need more rubbish news, now the Queen appears to be very poorly
The Queen on 13:52 - Sep 11 with 3773 viewsClive_Anderson

The Queen on 12:59 - Sep 11 by BucksRanger

He's been posting at least 4 years and certainly appears to be a Rangers fan. I like his posts.

Fair enough, just feel it's probably not the best time for this sort of thing.
The Queen on 14:10 - Sep 11 with 3690 viewsSonofpugwash

The artist formerly known as Prince.

Nice choice of guitar.

https://scontent.fbrs4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/306125003_443376471157754_6
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 14:10]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

The Queen on 14:30 - Sep 11 with 3688 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 10:09 - Sep 11 by DWQPR

It’s just typical of the Grauniad to promote their own minority agenda. They have always had republican tendencies. They will try and pick up the baton of any so called minority cause and run with it. Last example was with BLM, no such promotion until seeing the protests in the US spill over here. And on top of that they called out many businesses and institutions and historical figures with either their links to the slave trade or treatment of peoples of non-white origins and yet they conveniently brushed over their papers own origins.

Ultimately the Grauniad has always been a minority paper and their circulation compared to other broadsheets let alone tabloids has always been poor. Even the Independent sold more before it decided to go online.

Anyway, let’s just put all this aside. We have lost, for most of us a beloved monarch, loved more than I think many of us actually realised with our own surprising feelings and I’m sure most of us really do hope that Charles becomes the King that reflects on the legacy of his mother.

GSTK

Just for balance: https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/11/the-remarkable-reign-of-th

I’m not saying the Guardian is perfect by any stretch but surely it’s not a bad thing to have different perspectives.
The Queen on 14:39 - Sep 11 with 3665 viewsderbyhoop

The Queen on 10:09 - Sep 11 by DWQPR

It’s just typical of the Grauniad to promote their own minority agenda. They have always had republican tendencies. They will try and pick up the baton of any so called minority cause and run with it. Last example was with BLM, no such promotion until seeing the protests in the US spill over here. And on top of that they called out many businesses and institutions and historical figures with either their links to the slave trade or treatment of peoples of non-white origins and yet they conveniently brushed over their papers own origins.

Ultimately the Grauniad has always been a minority paper and their circulation compared to other broadsheets let alone tabloids has always been poor. Even the Independent sold more before it decided to go online.

Anyway, let’s just put all this aside. We have lost, for most of us a beloved monarch, loved more than I think many of us actually realised with our own surprising feelings and I’m sure most of us really do hope that Charles becomes the King that reflects on the legacy of his mother.

GSTK

It's a legitimate item for debate. If not, at a time of change, then when?

I'm not a royalist but have no strong feelings either way.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The Queen on 15:18 - Sep 11 with 3579 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 14:39 - Sep 11 by derbyhoop

I’m not a royalist but I did have respect for the Queen and sad to see her pass away.

But I do find this unsavoury and would question why now has been considered an acceptable time to let him out in public again: https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1568602961827217414?s=20&t=ZB5oyvsamje
The Queen on 15:25 - Sep 11 with 3556 viewsSharpediver

First game in 1979 mate at home to Norwich. Been a fan all my life. Not stirring anything up. Just expressing my opinions. Do you go to QPR matches? If so, happy to buy you a beer next week and have a friendly discussion? All the best buddy.
The Queen on 15:27 - Sep 11 with 3546 viewsSharpediver

Cheers mate, appreciated.
The Queen on 15:31 - Sep 11 with 3540 viewsQPR_Jim

The Queen on 14:39 - Sep 11 by derbyhoop

I'm similar in that I have no strong feelings one way or another. It's fine to use the time of change as a catalyst for starting the conversation but bringing it up today or in a month isn't going to change the timescales on this sort of thing. (I assume we'd need a referendum) So it just comes across a bit disrespectful to neutrals like myself and would make me less likely to support.

So perhaps they would be best to use this time to put together their arguments for a republic and let the dust settle after the funeral before having the discussion.
Login to get fewer ads

The Queen on 15:43 - Sep 11 with 3488 viewscolinallcars

The Queen on 15:31 - Sep 11 by QPR_Jim

I'm similar in that I have no strong feelings one way or another. It's fine to use the time of change as a catalyst for starting the conversation but bringing it up today or in a month isn't going to change the timescales on this sort of thing. (I assume we'd need a referendum) So it just comes across a bit disrespectful to neutrals like myself and would make me less likely to support.

So perhaps they would be best to use this time to put together their arguments for a republic and let the dust settle after the funeral before having the discussion.

I imagine it would be a 'plebiscite' rather than a referendum. What's the difference ? Dunno really. The Italians had one after WWII and they voted for a republic.
In peacetime, if you can call this peace, who would make the decision to have a plebiscite ?
Plenty of plebs where I live…..
The Queen on 17:10 - Sep 11 with 3304 viewsParkRoyalR

The Queen on 10:36 - Sep 11 by Sharpediver

Well said mate. Glad not everyone on here is a sycophant. For anyone who wants a break from the unrelenting British media coverage, France 24, CNN and Al jazeera are actually covering some other mportant world news.

Max Hastings commentary In The Times today surprising, a very brave and balanced piece of journalism.
The Queen on 19:41 - Sep 11 with 3106 viewsGloryHunter

The Queen on 17:10 - Sep 11 by ParkRoyalR

Max Hastings commentary In The Times today surprising, a very brave and balanced piece of journalism.

Times paywall. Can you copy-and-paste?
The Queen on 22:02 - Sep 11 with 2898 viewsGloryHunter

"Republican protesters arrested at King Charles proclamations"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/republican-protesters-arrested-k

[DISCLAIMER: I have posted this link from The Guardian. This doesn't mean that either I or The Guardian support the protests. The protests are reported on other news sites as well, but the Guardian report explains it very clearly, and doesn't have so many annoying ads and pop-ups. Thank you.]
The Queen on 22:06 - Sep 11 with 2889 viewsconnell10

Is this all becoming a tad mawkish now ?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

The Queen on 22:20 - Sep 11 with 2843 viewsQPR_John

The Queen on 22:02 - Sep 11 by GloryHunter

"Republican protesters arrested at King Charles proclamations"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/11/republican-protesters-arrested-k

[DISCLAIMER: I have posted this link from The Guardian. This doesn't mean that either I or The Guardian support the protests. The protests are reported on other news sites as well, but the Guardian report explains it very clearly, and doesn't have so many annoying ads and pop-ups. Thank you.]

Can anybody see a PM giving up power to an elected Head of State
The Queen on 00:11 - Sep 12 with 2724 viewsSydneyRs

The whole republic debate is coming up again here in Australia too.

I just don't see the point in it. What does anyone gain (apart from lawyers etc involved in the process)? How would the UK or Australia benefit from being a republic? Not at all as far as I can see. Although the UK has just taken itself through another huge change with zero benefits so who knows?

The royals are symbolic rulers and have no actual power, therefore what is the point? I'm no monarchist but like others on here don't really care one way or the other. Part of watching the last few days is seeing fascinating history being made, traditions that are centuries old. It would be a shame to throw that away for no advantage or gain that I can see.
The Queen on 07:23 - Sep 12 with 2570 viewsdistortR

The Queen on 00:11 - Sep 12 by SydneyRs

The whole republic debate is coming up again here in Australia too.

I just don't see the point in it. What does anyone gain (apart from lawyers etc involved in the process)? How would the UK or Australia benefit from being a republic? Not at all as far as I can see. Although the UK has just taken itself through another huge change with zero benefits so who knows?

The royals are symbolic rulers and have no actual power, therefore what is the point? I'm no monarchist but like others on here don't really care one way or the other. Part of watching the last few days is seeing fascinating history being made, traditions that are centuries old. It would be a shame to throw that away for no advantage or gain that I can see.

Presumably it's a power grab,more then anything else.
As you say, the monarchy are largely symbolic. A president has power. I refer again to Mr Sheen's post about how the vast majority of countries topping the liberty index, or such like (Sorry Mr Sheen, I'm in a rush!), are monarchies, with a number of them having 'our' king as head of state. Republics dominate the bottom of that sad list. It was the most convincing argument for the monarchy that I've ever heard.
The Queen on 08:34 - Sep 12 with 2466 viewsfrancisbowles

The monarchy provides experience and continuity and is able to offer confidential counsel to the PM.

Presidents come and go (usually) and cannot do this to anything like the same extent.

President can mean different things. In the USA the president is the Chief Executive and head of state. In the Republic of Ireland the Taoiseach has those powers while the president is simply head of state.
The Queen on 10:22 - Sep 12 with 2294 viewsLblock

Well....... we made it to the bottom of page 8 before rumblings of politics kicked in.

I guess that counts as a success here in a week with no football.

GSTK

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Queen on 11:30 - Sep 12 with 2186 viewsSonofpugwash

Is that right Charles isn't going to pay any Inheritance Tax?

The Queen on 11:31 - Sep 12 with 2197 viewstoboboly

The Queen on 11:30 - Sep 12 by Sonofpugwash

Is that right Charles isn't going to pay any Inheritance Tax?

I would be more pissed off about Amazon/Starbucks etc not paying tax

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

The Queen on 12:33 - Sep 12 with 2088 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 11:31 - Sep 12 by toboboly

I would be more pissed off about Amazon/Starbucks etc not paying tax

I’m sure people are more than capable of being pissed off with both scenarios. It’s not a direct choice between the two.
The Queen on 14:35 - Sep 12 with 1931 viewsSonofpugwash

Mints around the world -Royal Mint,Perth Mint etc.- have this policy of issuing coins late in the year for the following year.There are some gold and silver ones with 2023 on them,Queen's head on the reverse.Most of them have been snapped up because of their obvious numismatic value.
Managed to bag a couple of 2023 Year Of The Rabbit ones.All gone now except at exorbitant auction prices.

The Queen on 14:49 - Sep 12 with 1887 viewstoboboly

The Queen on 12:33 - Sep 12 by traininvain

I’m sure people are more than capable of being pissed off with both scenarios. It’s not a direct choice between the two.

Then people are also allowed to be upset with benefit fraud.

The Queen on 15:09 - Sep 12 with 1839 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 14:49 - Sep 12 by toboboly

Then people are also allowed to be upset with benefit fraud.

Of course. And I’m sure we could all sit here and come up with more strawman arguments. But I’d be more interested to understand why inheritance tax isn’t applicable, if anyone can shed any light.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 15:10]
The Queen on 15:21 - Sep 12 with 1785 viewstoboboly

The Queen on 15:09 - Sep 12 by traininvain

Of course. And I’m sure we could all sit here and come up with more strawman arguments. But I’d be more interested to understand why inheritance tax isn’t applicable, if anyone can shed any light.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2022 15:10]

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1508459/Royal-family-inheritance-tax-queen-

Apologies it is the Express.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024