Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread 19:02 - Sep 29 with 20984 viewsHullDale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 12:54 - Oct 2 with 4313 viewsHullDale

League Two 22-23 After 11 Games

League Two 21-22 After 11 Games

Points wise we are closer to 'safety' than both Oldham & Scunthorpe were at this time last year... I'm still taking a bit of comfort from how close it is at the bottom.. a couple of decent results and the table could look very different.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2022 12:54]
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 13:41 - Oct 2 with 4181 viewsblackdogblue

The highlights are on Twitterā€¦ all 15 second of them and it repeats the goalā€¦

Says it all for meā€¦ 7 seconds out of 90 minutes..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 13:52 - Oct 2 with 4147 viewsSaxonDale

The second goal is so frustrating. The initial dribble and pass takes 5 players out the game- either Rodney or Toums has to make the foul. Not sure why none of our midfielders were anywhere near their striker for the first either. We are so amateurish at times.
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 14:07 - Oct 2 with 4086 viewsTVOS1907

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 13:41 - Oct 2 by blackdogblue

The highlights are on Twitterā€¦ all 15 second of them and it repeats the goalā€¦

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 14:30 - Oct 2 with 4056 viewsleedsdale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 13:41 - Oct 2 by blackdogblue

Iā€™m pretty sure they always do a quick 15-20 second clip on Twitter every week, but then the usual two minute package is on the YouTube page
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:24 - Oct 3 with 3373 viewsBucketBstard

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 12:54 - Oct 2 by HullDale

League Two 22-23 After 11 Games

League Two 21-22 After 11 Games

Points wise we are closer to 'safety' than both Oldham & Scunthorpe were at this time last year... I'm still taking a bit of comfort from how close it is at the bottom.. a couple of decent results and the table could look very different.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2022 12:54]

I dont see it that way. I see us having a far worse team than either Biffos or sCUNThorpe .
We are awful and we do not have the players to get us out of this .
We have 6 centre Halves and not one is above conference standard. Our midfield "general" is a fecking joke and way past his time.
If we go down we dont come back and our club dies. After all the hard work of the supporters to see it frittered away by players who cant be arsed. I appreciate if they are not good enough , but their lack of application and willingness to win is very concerning indeed.
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:36 - Oct 3 with 3357 viewsJames1980

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:24 - Oct 3 by BucketBstard

I dont see it that way. I see us having a far worse team than either Biffos or sCUNThorpe .
We have 6 centre Halves and not one is above conference standard. Our midfield "general" is a fecking joke and way past his time.
If we go down we dont come back and our club dies. After all the hard work of the supporters to see it frittered away by players who cant be arsed. I appreciate if they are not good enough , but their lack of application and willingness to win is very concerning indeed.

How many clubs that have dropped into non league have actually 'died'?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 15:14 - Oct 3 with 3039 views49thseason

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:36 - Oct 3 by James1980

How many clubs that have dropped into non league have actually 'died'?

Not many on the face of it but lots have been forced to dissolve the company and have reformed under a new one. Presumably most collapsed or ceased trading because they were relegated and then went bust, there is a list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_English_Football_League_clubs

Of 54 clubs have gone out of the league in over 100 years 32 are designated defunct
Of 23 that have been relegated since Newport in 1987 /88 ,10 have been formed from new companies and 1 has been expelled.
Login to get fewer ads

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:21 - Oct 3 with 2719 views442Dale

If we do go down, the only reason we would be in danger of dying would be because of the hard work of everyone who kept the club going in far darker times than now would be frittered away by supporters who canā€™t be arsed. Iā€™d appreciate that the level of football might then not be good enough, but the lack of application and willingness to continue to trying to support the club to succeed again would be very concerning indeed.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:32 - Oct 3 with 2576 viewsJames1980

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 15:14 - Oct 3 by 49thseason

Not many on the face of it but lots have been forced to dissolve the company and have reformed under a new one. Presumably most collapsed or ceased trading because they were relegated and then went bust, there is a list here:

Of 54 clubs have gone out of the league in over 100 years 32 are designated defunct
Of 23 that have been relegated since Newport in 1987 /88 ,10 have been formed from new companies and 1 has been expelled.

Cheers 49th if my counting was correct 6 of those defunct clubs didn't get resurrected.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:42 - Oct 3 with 2556 viewsTVOS1907

Yeah, we know. You tell us everytime we don't win.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 07:20 - Oct 4 with 2169 viewsDalenet

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:21 - Oct 3 by 442Dale

If we do go down, the only reason we would be in danger of dying would be because of the hard work of everyone who kept the club going in far darker times than now would be frittered away by supporters who canā€™t be arsed. Iā€™d appreciate that the level of football might then not be good enough, but the lack of application and willingness to continue to trying to support the club to succeed again would be very concerning indeed.

But you know that will happen 442. We've lost almost 1000 fans over the past 3 years and that was during the time the Trust and others tried to galvanise us. We'd lose more if we were relegated. I don't want to sound negative, but relegation would be a seismic shock from which we might never recover.
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 07:34 - Oct 4 with 2152 views442Dale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 07:20 - Oct 4 by Dalenet

But you know that will happen 442. We've lost almost 1000 fans over the past 3 years and that was during the time the Trust and others tried to galvanise us. We'd lose more if we were relegated. I don't want to sound negative, but relegation would be a seismic shock from which we might never recover.

Depends what we class as ā€œrecoverā€. Itā€™s a case of evolving. Much as we have to now as a L2 club.

Will crowds go down? Probably. They may go up if we start challenging at the top. Will we have to cut our cloth and adjust the budget? Definitely, but we are doing that now. Thereā€™s some sort of stigma and almost snobbishness about seeing the National League as the end of all things. It only will be for individuals if they choose that, it need not be for the club.

Anyway, the bottom end of L2 is so tight that talk of being relegated is far too premature now. Itā€™s that when people do, they should expect overly negative assessments to be challenged with factual examples of why those opinions are slightly dramatic.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 07:59 - Oct 4 with 2112 viewspioneer

I expect someone at the club is analysing the change in attendence over the last few years given a change in pricing strategy in favour of season ticket purchases.

Based on various reports on here I think season ticket purchases may have increased, or at least held firm despite our drop down to league two. But this means our walk up crowd has been the source of these falling crowds. Some of these will have been converted to new season tickets, but the net impact on walk ups may still be negative. Difficult to determine whether this is due entirely to poor performances/results or due to increased walk up prices (or both).
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 08:46 - Oct 4 with 2066 viewsJames1980

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 15:14 - Oct 3 by 49thseason

I also see no club has been listed as 'defunct' and not come back in some guise since the 1950s The majority disappearing pre WW1. (I know you are not doing this 49th) Claims that dropping into non league status will bring about the death of the club are scaremongering IMO.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:58 - Oct 4 with 1873 viewsAtThePeake

I'm not sure how reliable worldfootball.net is so willing to have TVOS correct me if needs be, but last season's average attendance in League Two was 2914 and so far this year it's 2942. 3 years ago, in the division above, when we had the likes of Sunderland, Bolton and Coventry visiting us, it was 3632.

When you consider the change in away followings that will have occurred after our drop down to League Two, I think it's fair to say we've lost perhaps 3/400 from the home gate. When we played Doncaster 3 years ago in League One the attendance was approximately 300 more than this weekend's attendance.

That's concerning obviously, but it's nowhere near 1,000 and I don't understand why people always feel the need to exaggerate when it comes to the drop off in attendance figures.

Tangled up in blue.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:58 - Oct 4 with 1873 viewsAtThePeake

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:49 - Oct 1 by 49thseason

What makes you think we can afford another huge clear out? We have been having clearouts for the last 3 seasons and look where its got us. What we have is what we can afford, if they were all fit and motivated we would have a better team, they aren't and we haven't. I agree there is deadwood and I would include Henderson, Quigley, Rodney, Ball and Odoh in that but until Charman, Campbell, Malley and Brierley get the opportunity prove themselves to be better players we will be stuck with what we have. Quigley doesnt have a run in him and for a big lad doesnt upset defenders enough , Henderson is a shadow of his former self and missed another decent opportunity towards the end of the game, Rodney spends too much time having to defend, Ball is too slow to catch a cold and is another one of those midfielders who spends too much time looking at his own keeper.. And Odoh as no end product..
Our problem is scoring goals, 7 for in 11 games simply isnt good enough, we have only been beaten by more than a single goal twice. I dont think we have done too badly in defence despite conceding 18, but in attacking terms we are awful.
There is still a bottom 10 in this division beating the teams around us is essential and we have to set up to win those games.

If scoring goals is our problem, then binning the lad who has scored 3 in 5 so far probably isn't the smartest plan.

Charman and Campbell both had much more opportunity last season to show what they can do than Quigley has, who you've apparently written off. In the 5 games he's played so far, Quigley has already scored more than either of those two managed in 19 and 13 appearances respectively last season.

Tangled up in blue.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:14 - Oct 4 with 1565 views442Dale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 11:58 - Oct 4 by AtThePeake

I'm not sure how reliable worldfootball.net is so willing to have TVOS correct me if needs be, but last season's average attendance in League Two was 2914 and so far this year it's 2942. 3 years ago, in the division above, when we had the likes of Sunderland, Bolton and Coventry visiting us, it was 3632.

When you consider the change in away followings that will have occurred after our drop down to League Two, I think it's fair to say we've lost perhaps 3/400 from the home gate. When we played Doncaster 3 years ago in League One the attendance was approximately 300 more than this weekend's attendance.

That's concerning obviously, but it's nowhere near 1,000 and I don't understand why people always feel the need to exaggerate when it comes to the drop off in attendance figures.

Some examples of the whole ā€œwe would lose loads more fansā€ argument:

2014/15:
We played Walsall on a Tuesday night in September, won 4-0;1852 home fans.
Four days later we beat Coventry to go seventh in L1; 2708 home fans.

The following January, two weeks after beating Forest in the cup and a week after a last minute winner at Bradford, we beat Crawley 4-1 to go fifth in L1; 2167 home fans (albeit on a freezing cold Saturday)

2016/17:
Saturday in November, Swindon at home. 4-0 win to go seventh in L1; 2028 home fans.
Three days later we beat Walsall 4-0 again to move up to fifth; 1758 home fans.

Thereā€™s no reason why weā€™d lose x amount of fans because we lost them/gained them back again at regular intervals throughout our most successful period as a club. We meander between 2000-2700 fans with the odd increase and decrease, and to try and claim otherwise is based on nothing but an opinion that has little evidence to back it up.

If we cannot find a way to budget, whatever level we play at, thatā€™s the issue. Attendances plummeting and an immediate ā€˜end of the clubā€™ mentality would be a total overreaction.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:43 - Oct 4 with 1496 viewsmikehunt

It would be interesting to know how clubs who have dropped out of the league, in the past 15 years letā€™s say, actually fare with their attendances. (If anyone has these details) That should give us a pointer as to what can be expected.
My bet would be that none of them would have increased attendances.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:54 - Oct 4 with 1462 viewsblackdogblue

Have said this before on numerous occasionsā€¦.

One of the biggest reasons I (we) stopped going was the decision to ban smoking at half time and a lot of people I know felt the sameā€¦ Iā€™m not 16 & having a crafty fag in the toiletsā€¦ itā€™s not an EFL rule.. look at Barnsley as an example.. you can have a fag in the corner under the floodlight at away games and the majority of clubs if not allow you in a ā€œpennedā€ area outsideā€¦

Why can you smoke in the Racky before / After the game but not for the 15 minute half time ??

Scandalā€¦

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:04 - Oct 4 with 1424 views442Dale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:43 - Oct 4 by mikehunt

It would be interesting to know how clubs who have dropped out of the league, in the past 15 years letā€™s say, actually fare with their attendances. (If anyone has these details) That should give us a pointer as to what can be expected.
My bet would be that none of them would have increased attendances.

Chesterfield, Notts County and Wrexham are all former league clubs who are currently in the top three. Their average attendances this season are:
Chesterfield 6998, Wrexham 9874, Notts C 6737.

Looking at mid-table, Southend are averaging 5570.

The two relegated clubs last season: Scunthorpe 2901 (2781 last year), Oldham 7650 (4924 last year, though obviously owner issues)

Youā€™d lose that bet!

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:09 - Oct 4 with 1408 views442Dale

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 18:54 - Oct 4 by blackdogblue

Have said this before on numerous occasionsā€¦.

One of the biggest reasons I (we) stopped going was the decision to ban smoking at half time and a lot of people I know felt the sameā€¦ Iā€™m not 16 & having a crafty fag in the toiletsā€¦ itā€™s not an EFL rule.. look at Barnsley as an example.. you can have a fag in the corner under the floodlight at away games and the majority of clubs if not allow you in a ā€œpennedā€ area outsideā€¦

Why can you smoke in the Racky before / After the game but not for the 15 minute half time ??

Scandalā€¦

Not sure thatā€™s affecting our attendances in a big way one way or another though, plenty will have individual reasons.

Also, wasnā€™t aware of the specific rules in place. Have they been clarified? Possibly worth bringing up via the Trust now thereā€™s a new board in place who may be able to look into a smoking area at half time.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:57 - Oct 4 with 1277 viewsTVOS1907

Average HOME support in the last three seasons with fans

2019/20: 2636
2021/22: 2228
2022/23: 2275

That's a loss of 361 Dale fans on average, even though we've been relegated and had a pretty crap time in League Two since then.

Indeed, the highest average number of home supporters since we started keeping records of away numbers is 3070 in the 2009/10 promotion season.

It was only 2494 in our 2013/14 promotion season, which is just 219 extra Dale fans per game compared to now.

Attendances will always fluctuate with results, but there's not been the massive swing you've claimed.

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:31 - Oct 4 with 1199 viewspioneer

Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 19:57 - Oct 4 by TVOS1907

Average HOME support in the last three seasons with fans

2019/20: 2636
2021/22: 2228
2022/23: 2275

That's a loss of 361 Dale fans on average, even though we've been relegated and had a pretty crap time in League Two since then.

Indeed, the highest average number of home supporters since we started keeping records of away numbers is 3070 in the 2009/10 promotion season.

It was only 2494 in our 2013/14 promotion season, which is just 219 extra Dale fans per game compared to now.

Attendances will always fluctuate with results, but there's not been the massive swing you've claimed.

Do we know how many season tickets were sold in each of the seasonsyou mention?
Doncaster Rovers (h) Match Thread on 20:34 - Oct 4 with 1192 viewsD_Alien

Might as well use this thread to comment on the outcome of tonight's fixtures, since Hartlepool lead Donny 1-0 at ht

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024