Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just Back 15:35 - Dec 11 with 11710 viewsPinnerPaul

After leaving on 75th minute - i never do that!

Thought we looked so slow and pedestraiun in the first half giving Burnley far too much time and space on the ball, coupled with not getting anywhere near enough to each other when we did occasionally get the ball in their half.

A little better 2nd half, although by then Burnley had worked out that they only had to play in 3rd gear to win this one.

Jimmy's error of course killed the game and saw me leave.

A cold and miserable afternoon in W12!
Just Back on 15:21 - Dec 12 with 1619 viewsgazza1

Apart from a spell where we won 8/10 or so matches we have lost a lot of games since the last good spell back at the beginning of the year......and we have lost 5 of the last 6 matches scoring 1 goal. It cant be far from relegation form.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 15:24]
Just Back on 15:26 - Dec 12 with 1593 viewsPinnerPaul

Just Back on 10:07 - Dec 12 by traininvain

Likewise. Took a non R to yesterday’s game and he pointed out that Dykes didn’t give us an outlet to get up the pitch in the first half aside from once or twice when the ball nearly stuck.

I’m not sure whether it’s lack of effort or just not good enough.

TBF, its helps if one or two teammates are in the same parish as you , when you're trying to win the ball/hold it up/pass it!
Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 with 1558 viewsParkRoyalR

Just Back on 09:37 - Dec 12 by WadR

I like Dykes but think it would be generous to say he was anything other than ok yesterday. Full of endeavour and won some headers. But with the ball at his feet, he was poor and it hamstrung several counter attacks. Taking 3 touches to get the ball out of his feet when it should be one touch and pass. By which point a Burnley player had usually nicked it off him. There was one pass straight out of play in the first half when we had a good counter opportunity. Went with a non QPR supporting mate and he did not have a glowing review of Dykes

Just checked and he had a 20% successful pass completion.

Not to say Dykes was the worst offender - he was at least trying 100%, which I don't think you could say about every player out there.

Pass out of play was marginally too quick + far in front of Willock (or Paal?)

Dispossessed once when hounded by a couple of their players and thought he had more time than he did,

20% pass completion rate reflects all the headers he won against their Centre Halves with none of our 10's running on to, stats are misleading as likely Clarke Salter had a 100% pass completion rate by giving all responsibility to bring the ball out to Dunne or a nowhere 10 yard pass to Paal,

Dykes had the beating of their Centre Halves in the air all game but we couldn't get the Full-Backs up the pitch enough to put crosses into the box,

Beaten by a better team 1 to 11 but looks a level above Thomas and Clarke Salter needs to do more than just be a neat + tidy 10 yard academy passer.
Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 with 1559 viewsgazza1

Just Back on 15:26 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

TBF, its helps if one or two teammates are in the same parish as you , when you're trying to win the ball/hold it up/pass it!

Dykes should have done far better yesterday, he wants 2/3/4 touches to get the ball under control and then pass it - far to long and too late......likewise he passed the ball poorly as well, one I recall was over the Ellerslie Roard side where he passed it so poorly out of the pitch under no pressure. He ran about a bit though!!!!
Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 with 1568 viewsPinnerPaul

Just Back on 15:21 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Apart from a spell where we won 8/10 or so matches we have lost a lot of games since the last good spell back at the beginning of the year......and we have lost 5 of the last 6 matches scoring 1 goal. It cant be far from relegation form.

Well it clearly is Gazza, but as we've found out these last few seasons is that one half of the season - good or bad, doesn't mean we can/will replicate that for 46 games.

Surely our recent history has taught us that at least?
Just Back on 15:32 - Dec 12 with 1562 viewsPinnerPaul

Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Dykes should have done far better yesterday, he wants 2/3/4 touches to get the ball under control and then pass it - far to long and too late......likewise he passed the ball poorly as well, one I recall was over the Ellerslie Roard side where he passed it so poorly out of the pitch under no pressure. He ran about a bit though!!!!

He didn't score or have an effort on target so first part - tick.

The pass straight into the stands happens about 10 times every match in this league - even a few Burnley players did it!

All I'm saying is he wasn't helped by lack of support from Tim, Chris and George.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 15:33]
Just Back on 15:33 - Dec 12 with 1549 viewsgazza1

Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 by ParkRoyalR

Dispossessed once when hounded by a couple of their players and thought he had more time than he did,

20% pass completion rate reflects all the headers he won against their Centre Halves with none of our 10's running on to, stats are misleading as likely Clarke Salter had a 100% pass completion rate by giving all responsibility to bring the ball out to Dunne or a nowhere 10 yard pass to Paal,

Dykes had the beating of their Centre Halves in the air all game but we couldn't get the Full-Backs up the pitch enough to put crosses into the box,

Beaten by a better team 1 to 11 but looks a level above Thomas and Clarke Salter needs to do more than just be a neat + tidy 10 yard academy passer.

Come on PRR....surely you agree that he was pretty average yesterday???
Just Back on 15:33 - Dec 12 with 1547 viewsDamo1962

Just Back on 15:21 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Anyone can see on current form, we are only heading one way. However we can turn it around, so we are looking upwards instead of downwards,That is Neil and the players responsibility now. We can win games as we have shown, we just need to get back to the basics of grinding out results. It sure as hell doesn't have to be easy on the eye either. I am more optimistic than I was yesterday, and think we will do enough to keep out of real trouble. Need a couple of new faces to freshen things up a bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Just Back on 15:34 - Dec 12 with 1540 viewsgazza1

Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

Well it clearly is Gazza, but as we've found out these last few seasons is that one half of the season - good or bad, doesn't mean we can/will replicate that for 46 games.

Surely our recent history has taught us that at least?

Yes, a good run and we will be back in the hunt for the top 6....not impossible in a pretty average league.
Just Back on 15:37 - Dec 12 with 1534 viewsgazza1

Just Back on 15:32 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

He didn't score or have an effort on target so first part - tick.

The pass straight into the stands happens about 10 times every match in this league - even a few Burnley players did it!

All I'm saying is he wasn't helped by lack of support from Tim, Chris and George.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 15:33]

Maybe he wasn't helped enough but I still expect simple things to be executed good & get into goalscoring positions - sadly he fails too often on simple tasks.
Just Back on 15:39 - Dec 12 with 1524 viewsgolborne

Just Back on 17:38 - Dec 11 by HuckerMOTM

At some point when you're an adult you have to have difficult conversations and if one of those is that we could be relegated than so be it.

No one wants to be relegated but it's worse to put your head in the sand and pretend it's not a possibility. We have shown consistent relegation form for 10 months now. Another 4 months and we will be.

And looking at the original post below the reaction was to somebody who wasn't even at the game - really don't know makes people go on message boards with this crap when they haven't even seen the game.
we were truly poor in the first half, but so were they and if field's shot goes in (not sure how it stayed out from my angle) it would have been a different last 25. we did much better up until the third goal

"Must have been worse than it sounded on here. We are in big trouble I reckon. Could be the season when we finally drop TBH."
Just Back on 15:40 - Dec 12 with 1523 viewsPinnerPaul

Just Back on 15:37 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Maybe he wasn't helped enough but I still expect simple things to be executed good & get into goalscoring positions - sadly he fails too often on simple tasks.

Fair enough
Just Back on 15:41 - Dec 12 with 1509 viewsgazza1

Just Back on 15:33 - Dec 12 by Damo1962

Anyone can see on current form, we are only heading one way. However we can turn it around, so we are looking upwards instead of downwards,That is Neil and the players responsibility now. We can win games as we have shown, we just need to get back to the basics of grinding out results. It sure as hell doesn't have to be easy on the eye either. I am more optimistic than I was yesterday, and think we will do enough to keep out of real trouble. Need a couple of new faces to freshen things up a bit.

Why are you more optimistic??? I thought we were outplayed and didnt really know how to deal with them defensively or break down their defence.....yeh we did a few good things offensively but not enough for me to feel optimistic.
Just Back on 16:06 - Dec 12 with 1458 viewsstevenagehoop

Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Trouble with Dykes is as a good forward you need to be able to regularly score goals or if you fall short in that area be good at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game - good strikers doing all those things - in my opinion he isn’t good enough at either - a poor man’s Rob Steiner for those that can remember him - sorry for butting in to this post.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Just Back on 16:14 - Dec 12 with 1419 viewsLazyFan

Just Back on 16:06 - Dec 12 by stevenagehoop

Trouble with Dykes is as a good forward you need to be able to regularly score goals or if you fall short in that area be good at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game - good strikers doing all those things - in my opinion he isn’t good enough at either - a poor man’s Rob Steiner for those that can remember him - sorry for butting in to this post.

Steiner was way better than Dykes. If Steiner never suffered that injury we could have had real promotion chances the season after, he was that good.

Dykes is more of a poor man's Paul Furlong. Furlong took time to get going here and then he started to fly as the team adapted to his style. But Dykes form is heading down not up.

If we don't sort out how to score, then I can see us in a relegation battle. Also, some say we don't have a second striker, well we need to play Armstrong. He will be raw, and make mistakes, but at least he scares the oppo into mistakes.

zzzzzzzzzz

Just Back on 16:16 - Dec 12 with 1419 viewskensalriser

Stating the bleeding obvious, we were without Chair and Johansen yesterday, two of our most essential players. Yes, I know we're quite capable of losing with them, but can we win without them?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Just Back on 16:48 - Dec 12 with 1361 viewsWadR

Just Back on 15:30 - Dec 12 by ParkRoyalR

Yeah that pass to Willock was the one I was thinking of. I just think there's so many times he slows things down or loses possession cheaply because he thinks he has more time than he does/lacks the ability to play passes first or second time with his feet.

Double checked and the 20% is ground passes. It doesn't include the, very decent, 10 out of 14 aerial duels he won. Going off stats here - https://fbref.com/en/matches/2519e605/Queens-Park-Rangers-Burnley-December-11-20

And I do agree to an extent about getting players closer to him and crosses into him.

My initial post was in response to him being described as having played well, which I just don't think is true. I think Dykes works really hard, doesn't hide, has some good assets and I support him heartily at games - but he was bad on Saturday (as were most of them).
Just Back on 18:16 - Dec 12 with 1226 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Just Back on 14:58 - Dec 12 by ManinBlack

Yes this is the problem with ffp hampering clubs with little money and those clubs with the windfall of parachute money. On paper Burnley should be three goals better as they have the money to retain quality. Unless the parachute payments are reduced or redistributed amongst all clubs in the EFL then the Championship just resembles the Premier league with the richest teams in the top 6 in both leagues.

It is boring seeing clubs like Norwich, Watford, Fulham, West Brom bouncing between the leagues aided by a huge relegation windfall. I accept clubs with less can break in but it is much harder to sustain it without serious money.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 15:03]

I agree it's tougher but certainly not impossible. Huddersfield have been promoted once and arguably should have been again last season since we've been back in this league. I always felt sorry for Smithees who joined us just before they got promoted.

Brentford are obviously the exemplar but I'm not supposed to mention them.

And while the teams with parachute payments have an advantage, the overall averageness of the league means even crap teams like ourselves, Reading and Millwall are still just outside the play-offs. Hell, Blackburn are third!
Just Back on 19:01 - Dec 12 with 1163 viewsstainrods_elbow

Just Back on 16:14 - Dec 12 by LazyFan

Steiner was way better than Dykes. If Steiner never suffered that injury we could have had real promotion chances the season after, he was that good.

Dykes is more of a poor man's Paul Furlong. Furlong took time to get going here and then he started to fly as the team adapted to his style. But Dykes form is heading down not up.

If we don't sort out how to score, then I can see us in a relegation battle. Also, some say we don't have a second striker, well we need to play Armstrong. He will be raw, and make mistakes, but at least he scares the oppo into mistakes.

Steiner was actually pretty crap, though Gerry clearly loved him - he scored, what, 5 goals in a couple of dozen games for us? Mind you, the bar was pretty low then as now.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Just Back on 19:47 - Dec 12 with 1134 viewsManinBlack

Just Back on 18:16 - Dec 12 by Wegerles_Stairs

I agree it's tougher but certainly not impossible. Huddersfield have been promoted once and arguably should have been again last season since we've been back in this league. I always felt sorry for Smithees who joined us just before they got promoted.

Brentford are obviously the exemplar but I'm not supposed to mention them.

And while the teams with parachute payments have an advantage, the overall averageness of the league means even crap teams like ourselves, Reading and Millwall are still just outside the play-offs. Hell, Blackburn are third!

That might be the case but money is influencing the outcomes of who will do well or not. Reading and Millwall might be there now but it is where all the teams finish at the end of the season. I still expect to see Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Norwich and Watford to eventually finish in the top 6. With the money they can bring in a few more in January in a bid to improve their results something the have nots will struggle to do.

Blackburn are where they are as they don't draw. It is win or lose with them. Our record against them this century is poor so it doesn't surprise me a team we can't beat are above us.

Man City have won four of the last five titles as they are the richest club in the land. The prospect of being equally rich and having a decent manager, has propelled Newcastle into competing for a Champions league spot. They could soon be in a place to challenge City for the title, which would never have happened without huge money. Money attracts the best players and the best quality.
Just Back on 22:00 - Dec 12 with 1060 viewsDamo1962

Just Back on 15:41 - Dec 12 by gazza1

Why are you more optimistic??? I thought we were outplayed and didnt really know how to deal with them defensively or break down their defence.....yeh we did a few good things offensively but not enough for me to feel optimistic.

My optimism...may be more like pragmatism 😉 It's going to be tough to turn this around, and like I said, we will need a couple of new additions in January. We'll know more after our next two games, whether these players are capable of changing our fortunes. A couple of gritty draws in the next five games, will be a good start. The home form is the most concerning thing for me...and I'm sure it will be for Critchley.
Just Back on 22:07 - Dec 12 with 1047 viewsDamo1962

Just Back on 19:47 - Dec 12 by ManinBlack

That might be the case but money is influencing the outcomes of who will do well or not. Reading and Millwall might be there now but it is where all the teams finish at the end of the season. I still expect to see Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Norwich and Watford to eventually finish in the top 6. With the money they can bring in a few more in January in a bid to improve their results something the have nots will struggle to do.

Blackburn are where they are as they don't draw. It is win or lose with them. Our record against them this century is poor so it doesn't surprise me a team we can't beat are above us.

Man City have won four of the last five titles as they are the richest club in the land. The prospect of being equally rich and having a decent manager, has propelled Newcastle into competing for a Champions league spot. They could soon be in a place to challenge City for the title, which would never have happened without huge money. Money attracts the best players and the best quality.

Nàil hit firmly on head 😉👏
Just Back on 23:15 - Dec 12 with 953 viewsnumptydumpty

Just Back on 15:38 - Dec 11 by Damo1962

Must have been worse than it sounded on here. We are in big trouble I reckon. Could be the season when we finally drop TBH.

Damo1962 you always pop up with negativity and you put the boot in when we struggle

I notice you always pop up when the boys play badly so much so that when we play well you really don't like it.

It seems you love to wallow when we struggle. It gives you pleasure

Closet Chelsea boy I believe !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024