Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jamal Lowe 16:09 - Jan 11 with 15376 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sorry, can’t see a thread on this anywhere and I don’t normally give transfer tittle tattle any time but lot äs of talk about Jamal Lowe completing a QPR medical today.
Jamal Lowe on 21:10 - Jan 11 with 3599 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jamal Lowe on 20:38 - Jan 11 by Dixie_CT

I'm like a parrot with this, but we had the chance to sign him from Hampton & Richmond for £150k, but Les wouldn't return Lowe’s Agent’s calls.

Glad he is finally here, albeit five seasons later than he could and probably should be.

Is this definitely true about Les refusing calls? Have we got a source? Otherwise it feels a bit like a mixture of gossip, hindsight, and confirmation bias for people that don’t like Les.

That way lies madness.

I’d counter that he went to a League One side and only scored tens goals each season in the end so we didn’t exactly miss out on a world beater at the time.

It’s certainly ironic though.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 21:11]
Jamal Lowe on 21:19 - Jan 11 with 3538 viewsdaveB

Jamal Lowe on 20:38 - Jan 11 by Dixie_CT

I'm like a parrot with this, but we had the chance to sign him from Hampton & Richmond for £150k, but Les wouldn't return Lowe’s Agent’s calls.

Glad he is finally here, albeit five seasons later than he could and probably should be.

If he had come here 5 years ago would he have been a success? Not sure he was ready to be a championship starter at the time, should have been in for him when he left Portsmouth though
Jamal Lowe on 21:22 - Jan 11 with 3525 viewsAndybrat

Jamal Lowe on 19:14 - Jan 11 by queensparker

Nice recent article on him here. Seems the right sort, he’s been through a lot to be a pro (Les/Ian Wright route to the top). He’s also a Jamaica international so presume Paul Hall had a hand in this

https://www.sportbible.com/football/jamal-lowe-bournemouth-jamaica-premier-leagu

I agree great interview, assuming he is more right side, could be devastating with Laird. We have goals in this team, seems crazy we have dried up.
Ever the optimist, always have the faith
Jamal Lowe on 21:36 - Jan 11 with 3452 viewsderbyhoop

Jamal Lowe on 17:30 - Jan 11 by Northernr

Quintessential QPR modern era signing.
Could have had him for nothing when he was in our academy, released him at 15.
Could have had him for next to nothing when he played non-league locally.
Could have had him for a few hundred k when he was playing lower league.
Now he's Premier League and paid accordingly, we'd like him on loan.

Probably says more about our Youth set up 12-14 years ago than any comments about what has happened since.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Jamal Lowe on 21:37 - Jan 11 with 3443 viewsDixie_CT

Jamal Lowe on 21:09 - Jan 11 by Wegerles_Stairs

Is that true?

I was watching H & R play whilst wearing my QPR training kit and was approached by Lowe’s agent asking me if I worked at the club because he was trying to get hold of Les to discuss Lowe’s transfer situation but wasn’t getting any response.

I went to work the next day and emailed Les and a few other staff at the training ground with the guy's details but didn't hear anything back, so I left it at that.
Jamal Lowe on 21:41 - Jan 11 with 3416 viewsDixie_CT

Jamal Lowe on 21:10 - Jan 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is this definitely true about Les refusing calls? Have we got a source? Otherwise it feels a bit like a mixture of gossip, hindsight, and confirmation bias for people that don’t like Les.

That way lies madness.

I’d counter that he went to a League One side and only scored tens goals each season in the end so we didn’t exactly miss out on a world beater at the time.

It’s certainly ironic though.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 21:11]

Granted, whilst we didn't miss out on the next Jamie Vardy, Lowe could have been an option for us and, in the last five years, has moved for quite a bit more than the figure he was signed for by Pompey, which I think was approx. £150k.
Jamal Lowe on 22:56 - Jan 11 with 3074 viewsLazyFan

Good player who has not scored as many goals as he should, as he is often played on the wings, but when he played a full season in the middle up front for Swansea he scored I think 14.

You can see these here, including the last one against QPR!

We can see we have improved as the QPR team, that day was ...
Dieng,
Kane, Dickie, Cameron, Barbet, Hämäläinen
Carroll, Ball, Chair
Dykes, Bonne

Only 4 of those left and I would guess that releasing Bonne saved QPR the money to spend on Lowe. Hopefully, he shows his true form and creates a few goals for us.

zzzzzzzzzz

Jamal Lowe on 00:41 - Jan 12 with 2881 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jamal Lowe on 21:41 - Jan 11 by Dixie_CT

Granted, whilst we didn't miss out on the next Jamie Vardy, Lowe could have been an option for us and, in the last five years, has moved for quite a bit more than the figure he was signed for by Pompey, which I think was approx. £150k.

Well, instead we signed Wells and Hugill who scored 20 goals in a season between them. Hugill is the same age.

While I’m irritated as anyone else about the club right now I don’t think it’s fair to blame the club or more specifically Les for missing out on every bargain since 2015.
Login to get fewer ads

Jamal Lowe on 02:39 - Jan 12 with 2800 viewsjoolsyp

Jamal Lowe on 22:56 - Jan 11 by LazyFan

Good player who has not scored as many goals as he should, as he is often played on the wings, but when he played a full season in the middle up front for Swansea he scored I think 14.

Dieng,
Carroll, Ball, Chair
Dykes, Bonne

Only 4 of those left and I would guess that releasing Bonne saved QPR the money to spend on Lowe. Hopefully, he shows his true form and creates a few goals for us.

That goal against Cardiff towards the end was Adel-like!
Jamal Lowe on 05:02 - Jan 12 with 2689 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Jamal Lowe on 00:41 - Jan 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well, instead we signed Wells and Hugill who scored 20 goals in a season between them. Hugill is the same age.

While I’m irritated as anyone else about the club right now I don’t think it’s fair to blame the club or more specifically Les for missing out on every bargain since 2015.

Signed them on loan, meaning we couldn't make any money on them, which is apparently supposed to be our operating model.
Jamal Lowe on 06:01 - Jan 12 with 2643 viewsDixie_CT

Not our players and were never going to be. Wells would have cost £7m in fees and wages to sign, Hugill cost West Ham a reported £10m

Not sure whose age you're referring to but Lowe is two years younger than Hugill and four years younger than Wells.

In the specific case of Jamal Lowe, Les does have some direct responsibility for not signing him. You’re clutching at straws a bit here to defend him.

In a way, Les, with a remit or recruitment, along with Belk and the manager at the time, do have responsibility if there are players who are in our price range and fit our model (whichever one we are practising that day) that sign for other Championship clubs and go onto perform and are sold on for profit. Only caveat is, if the player turns us down.
Jamal Lowe on 08:43 - Jan 12 with 2321 viewsBAWHoops

Jamal Lowe on 06:01 - Jan 12 by Dixie_CT

Not our players and were never going to be. Wells would have cost £7m in fees and wages to sign, Hugill cost West Ham a reported £10m

Not sure whose age you're referring to but Lowe is two years younger than Hugill and four years younger than Wells.

In the specific case of Jamal Lowe, Les does have some direct responsibility for not signing him. You’re clutching at straws a bit here to defend him.

In a way, Les, with a remit or recruitment, along with Belk and the manager at the time, do have responsibility if there are players who are in our price range and fit our model (whichever one we are practising that day) that sign for other Championship clubs and go onto perform and are sold on for profit. Only caveat is, if the player turns us down.

In Les' defence (I know!). He went to a League 1 club and did OK, so he obviously wasn't ready at that point for Championship football

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Jamal Lowe on 09:15 - Jan 12 with 2203 viewsQPR_Jim

Jamal Lowe on 08:43 - Jan 12 by BAWHoops

In Les' defence (I know!). He went to a League 1 club and did OK, so he obviously wasn't ready at that point for Championship football

Also we have a whole other thread where we're slagging off our previous process of "scouting" players literally meaning seeing what agents were offering. Maybe he was focusing on the targets the scouts and manager were putting forward rather than agents.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we could have bought him, loaned him to League 1 for a season then given him a chance in the first team the following season but if they were thinking winger he would have been in the same boat as Shodipo and then BOS. So would it have been the best use of funds at the time? In hindsight yes because he's better than Shodipo but we'd have been doubling up in one area when funds are tight for strengthening the rest of the squad.
Jamal Lowe on 09:24 - Jan 12 with 2156 viewsHuckerMOTM

"I don’t think it’s fair to blame the club or more specifically Les for missing out on every bargain since 2015"

True, but one of the persistent rumours about Les' transfer policy is absolutely rooted in truth and is so detrimental to the club it is astonishing that the latter persist in allowing him to dictate this.

We are severely restricting who we can buy as players and have turned down opportunities to strengthen the squad because they don't fit in with what can only be described as the 'experiment'.
Jamal Lowe on 09:32 - Jan 12 with 2115 viewstraininvain

Jamal Lowe on 09:24 - Jan 12 by HuckerMOTM

"I don’t think it’s fair to blame the club or more specifically Les for missing out on every bargain since 2015"

True, but one of the persistent rumours about Les' transfer policy is absolutely rooted in truth and is so detrimental to the club it is astonishing that the latter persist in allowing him to dictate this.

We are severely restricting who we can buy as players and have turned down opportunities to strengthen the squad because they don't fit in with what can only be described as the 'experiment'.

Don’t talk in riddles. What’s the ‘experiment’?
Jamal Lowe on 10:11 - Jan 12 with 2001 views89_50

Jamal Lowe on 09:24 - Jan 12 by HuckerMOTM

It looks like that policy has evolved somewhat, no?

In the early days, it was hoover up players with PL links or whichever agent could bend Les's ear.

We can all pretty much agree that was naive at best and very sloppy, without actual aim.

Belk has been in this current role, with this assumed level of influence since 2020 - so three years now. During this time the transfer policy has largely changed to be more data driven, and to find (potentially) rough gems that we can polish or get to consistent fitness.

If you compare recruitment of the past three years, with the five before that, it's like chalk and cheese, and looks to be trending in the right direction.

I guess this is a big downside to the 'learning on the job' that Les was doing, but surely the signs are that it's now going in the right direction at a time when we really need it to?

We can (rightfully) judge based on past failings, but surely we need to recognise the positive turn over recent campaigns?
Jamal Lowe on 10:42 - Jan 12 with 1860 viewsDixie_CT

Jamal Lowe on 10:11 - Jan 12 by 89_50

It looks like that policy has evolved somewhat, no?

In the early days, it was hoover up players with PL links or whichever agent could bend Les's ear.

We can all pretty much agree that was naive at best and very sloppy, without actual aim.

Belk has been in this current role, with this assumed level of influence since 2020 - so three years now. During this time the transfer policy has largely changed to be more data driven, and to find (potentially) rough gems that we can polish or get to consistent fitness.

If you compare recruitment of the past three years, with the five before that, it's like chalk and cheese, and looks to be trending in the right direction.

I guess this is a big downside to the 'learning on the job' that Les was doing, but surely the signs are that it's now going in the right direction at a time when we really need it to?

We can (rightfully) judge based on past failings, but surely we need to recognise the positive turn over recent campaigns?

Great post with a proper perspective.

I am fiercely critical of Ferdinand and Ramsey because I don't believe they are achieving the most they can. There is a certain degree of cronyism happening but isn't that endemic within football?

Clubs that do well have a Board that immunises itself from the ineffective practices that go on elsewhere. We don't need that level of governance from a Board that is responsibly cleaning up its irresponsible behaviour.
Jamal Lowe on 10:44 - Jan 12 with 1851 viewsngbqpr

Mixed feelings, as it looks like we're going to have a number of attack-minded players picking up a pay check for the remainder of this season while having splinters in their backsides, and yes this is (another) short term fix.

On the plus side - all these interviews suggest he is 100% "the right sort" - add that positivity to his pace and finishing ability, and I think he'll be a major bonus while he's here.

Just a note re the "we let him go at 14" shouts - apologies if mentioned above, but he has said his QPR pathway was blocked by one Raheem Sterling. There are so many decisions for academy managers to make when it comes to "release / retain" day - but the vast majority of academies cannot justify stockpiling in one position. They will look at 2-3 age groups at a time (eg u13-15 as one), and focus on the 'best in class' for each role.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jamal Lowe on 11:51 - Jan 12 with 1697 viewsstanistheman

Jamal Lowe on 10:44 - Jan 12 by ngbqpr

Mixed feelings, as it looks like we're going to have a number of attack-minded players picking up a pay check for the remainder of this season while having splinters in their backsides, and yes this is (another) short term fix.

On the plus side - all these interviews suggest he is 100% "the right sort" - add that positivity to his pace and finishing ability, and I think he'll be a major bonus while he's here.

Just a note re the "we let him go at 14" shouts - apologies if mentioned above, but he has said his QPR pathway was blocked by one Raheem Sterling. There are so many decisions for academy managers to make when it comes to "release / retain" day - but the vast majority of academies cannot justify stockpiling in one position. They will look at 2-3 age groups at a time (eg u13-15 as one), and focus on the 'best in class' for each role.

Critchley should play Lowe in a central position to get more goals. This could be alongside or in place of Dykes. I prefer a return to a 3-5-2 formation as this could also help out the defence because Dickie and Dunne played better in a back 3.

Let’s see what we do against Reading, but I think Lowe will start on the bench given his lack of games this season.
Jamal Lowe on 13:18 - Jan 12 with 1475 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Jamal Lowe on 11:51 - Jan 12 by stanistheman

Critchley should play Lowe in a central position to get more goals. This could be alongside or in place of Dykes. I prefer a return to a 3-5-2 formation as this could also help out the defence because Dickie and Dunne played better in a back 3.

Let’s see what we do against Reading, but I think Lowe will start on the bench given his lack of games this season.

Really hope he starts on Saturday, if only to shake things up after last week's debacle.
Jamal Lowe on 13:34 - Jan 12 with 1422 viewsNorthernr

Jamal Lowe on 11:51 - Jan 12 by stanistheman

One would think he'll be occupying the spot recently taken by Adomah and Shodipo, given he's so desperate to have somebody who can play that position he's been picking Adomah and Shodipo.
Jamal Lowe on 13:55 - Jan 12 with 1361 viewsnoauthority

Dieng,
Carroll, Ball, Chair
Dykes, Bonne

That goal against Cardiff, more than a touch of Adel there, wow. Gotta be optimistic. Looks very fast, with good ball control and awareness. Tidy.
Jamal Lowe on 14:05 - Jan 12 with 1336 viewsslmrstid

Lets not be naive - people like Les are probably inundated with agents trying to flog them players at all levels of the game.

For every Lowe that's missed there's probably 10+ of other players not considered that go on to do bugger all, thus proving they were right not to be discussed/followed up on.
Jamal Lowe on 14:08 - Jan 12 with 1323 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Dieng,
Carroll, Ball, Chair
Dykes, Bonne

Interesting that they were all our players though. Yes, we are improved if we're playing Laird, Tim and Lowe on Saturday but they're not our players!
Jamal Lowe on 14:13 - Jan 12 with 1300 viewsNorthernr

Jamal Lowe on 14:05 - Jan 12 by slmrstid

Lets not be naive - people like Les are probably inundated with agents trying to flog them players at all levels of the game.

For every Lowe that's missed there's probably 10+ of other players not considered that go on to do bugger all, thus proving they were right not to be discussed/followed up on.

Yeh you saw at the fans forum with Angry Dad 2.0 in the crowd that Les has got that speech down to a fine art now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024