Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting older 23:07 - Feb 8 with 9034 viewsWatfordR

So I'm sure some of you may have paid some attention to my occasional rants and may know that I'm into my second 50 years of following my beloved Hoops. And it is my fervent intention to complete that second 50 years to add to the first. You'll maybe be surprised if you've ever read any of my posts to learn that I am actually in most respects more glass half full than half empty. I do secretly believe that one day we will put right the wrongs of 1975-76 and claim our spot at the summit of English football. Yes yes I know...but you have to believe.

I've also always believed I'll live forever. I actually enjoy being here too much, despite the inevitable knockbacks of life. The idea I'll die some day really has never really occurred to me. The fact that bit by bit my body reminds me I'm getting older...well, in my head I'm still 26. Why 26 and not 25 I've no idea. It's always been 26. Who that bugger is looking back at me in the bathroom mirror each morning, I've no clue. The world still worships at my feet. Seriously.

So where's all this going? Well. Over the last few years, I have come to know of a few people who suffer from degenerative illness. A couple who were friends of my mother in law. Sadly, more recently, my mum, primarily as a result of being involved in a road accident going to her pilates class at the age of 89. She's coming up to 95 now. A good friend of mine whose mum died just recently after years suffering from dementia. And I've just watched an interview with Bryan Murray, who some may remember from a TV programme called The Irish RM, or slightly more recently as the incestuous Trevor Jordache in Brookside. He has been diagnosed with dementia, and although in the early stages, the effects of the disease are there to see, although subtly at this stage. The interview was with Tommy Tiernan by the way, best show of its kind in my opinion. Some great interviews over the years. But I digress.

That interview suddenly brought home to me that despite all my natural optimism, despite my inclination to believe that everything will be alright for me, because generally I've always been fairly robust health wise, despite all that...I dread the idea of succumbing to a degenerative disease like alzheimers or dementia. More than almost any other illness that might strike me. Not for my own selfish reasons, but because of the way it erodes and changes relationships with those around you. I've seen how all the happy memories of a life you've had with someone can be lost or overwritten by the gradual decline of your mental faculties, and it frightens me. I wouldn't want to put my wife, kids or grandkids through any of it, but I'm aware that it's something I might ultimately have no control over. Thankfully, thankfully, nothing to suggest I have anything to worry about on that score, just to be clear.

I guess the point of this thread is to throw it open to us Rangers fans of a certain age, to give an opportunity to any of us who are becoming conscious of/worried about perhaps no longer being the axis of the universe we always thought we were, to voice and/or discuss the concerns or fears we have about getting on a bit. Either on this thread or by PM.

To round off, I'm reminded of a joke I heard many years ago. A man goes to the doctor who tells him " I've got your results back and it's not good news I'm afraid. You have cancer and you also have alzheimers." To which the man replies "Well I suppose it could be worse. I could have cancer"

Well I laughed. Back when I was younger....
Getting older on 19:08 - Feb 10 with 1225 viewsstowmarketrange

Getting older on 16:34 - Feb 10 by StreathamRanger

Thanks Paul. He's gone down hill quite a lot in the last 48 hours. Palliative care nurse says he's now in the dying phase. By that she means he has maybe a few days left. He shouldn't be in any pain, he will just stop breathing at some point. A lot to get my head around but I'm glad he won't suffer too much longer.

Sorry to hear that mate,but if it’s any small consolation I saw my dad take his last breath in this world and it was very serene and peaceful,even in the chaos of a hospital ward.
He just drifted off to sleep and never woke up.I hope your father’s passing is as peaceful,and that you and your family are there beside him.
Getting older on 19:14 - Feb 10 with 1210 viewshantssi

It’s amazing how many of us on here of a certain age have spent decades in the construction industry, it was pretty much the only thing open to us back then!
I left the manual side behind years ago, miss the laughs though but not the physical stress although that was replaced by the mental stress of being a project manager so slid sideways into estimating about half a dozen years ago, sort of in the background now but certainly with less stress!
Ted, I’ll certainly think about what you said but I don’t mind doing 3 days a week for a few more years and they allow me to take unpaid leave so I can have plenty of holidays.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 19:18]
Getting older on 19:50 - Feb 10 with 1172 viewsderbyhoop

My aim was to die in the bed of a female friend of my great grandson. Heart attack after a night of rampant sex.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Getting older on 19:59 - Feb 10 with 1158 viewsPunteR

Getting older on 18:16 - Feb 10 by paulparker

See you Saturday PunteR , we will roll back the years mate don’t worry

Yeah boiiee

You going full Ellesse again.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Getting older on 22:47 - Feb 10 with 1057 viewsBoston

Getting older on 07:31 - Feb 10 by distortR

Great stuff mate, puts my whiskey-fuelled self pity into context!
What's a non-christian Quaker?
I've always said, if I found religion, i'd probably be a Quaker.

You'll have to look hard, there aren't many around.

I'm actually the contractor for the (just retired), editor of their newspaper...or online thingy as it probably is now.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Getting older on 23:08 - Feb 10 with 1042 viewsBoston

Worked in the construction field my whole life. Love it, will keep putting in a shift until I can't struggle in anymore. Fortunately, I'm in good nick, sorta accidently, and without going into details, I've recently had the most in-depth tests, biops, exams probably available in the medical world, amazingly passed all with flying colours.
Came off the tools about 25 years ago, thought the shouting and pointing fingers part of the job would suit me, lasted about 18 months, no challenge, back on the front line. But...I am the boss, makes a huge difference. Business has been very successful, I live quietly, no debts or money worries, and no history of dementia in my family, with many living into their 90's.
So far so good.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 23:13]

Getting older (n/t) on 00:57 - Feb 11 with 1001 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 5:54]
Getting older on 15:23 - Feb 12 with 853 viewsCFW

Said before I thought this was an interesting post and has been a good read. I find it quite sad that within a few years there will be no one still alive who lived through the second world war, my mum, even though her short term memory is zero can still remember and talk about being evacuated and having virtually no schooling for the most important years of her life.

People like my parents and in laws were luck to own their houses and honestly thought they would go out of the door feet first, no thought whatsoever about not being unable to live on their own when one was left on their own. Obviously, years ago people did not live well into their 90's and not sure I really remember care homes or assisted living places that are available now.

Having experience and witnessing this first hand I am now starting to plan ahead, things like getting our POA in place, looking to downside our house, do we need two cars, etc etc. My mum lives in a beautiful McCarthy & Stone one bed flat, she is safe and help is on tap should it be required. The downside is it is very, very expensive. Loftboy has already mentioned on this thread the costs involved and my in-laws spent close of £200,000 on care home fees which was only affordable by the sale of their home.

Can I please just beg any of our older friends who post on this site that if you ever consider taking out an Equity Release on your property please, please rethink and don't do it.
Login to get fewer ads

Getting older on 16:12 - Feb 12 with 829 viewssmudgehoop

Getting older on 07:31 - Feb 10 by distortR

Great stuff mate, puts my whiskey-fuelled self pity into context!
What's a non-christian Quaker?
I've always said, if I found religion, i'd probably be a Quaker.

Thanks distortR

With Quakerism it is up to you to decide for yourself what to believe — The Quaker faith is about giving you the peace and quiet to work it out for yourself.

I say I'm a non-Christian Quaker as, historically many Quakers were Christian - but nowadays, many like me aren't.

If you're struggling with alcohol, I highly recommend giving Alcoholics Anonymous a try. I go to AA meetings and they really help me. In fact, when AA first started in the late 40s & early 50s, the Quakers helped them host their first meetings and as such AA meetings adopted a very similar structure to Quaker meetings.

Because of my addictive past, I find I relate far more to the people at AA meetings rather than Quaker meetings.

Getting older on 16:33 - Feb 12 with 816 viewssmudgehoop

Getting older on 22:47 - Feb 10 by Boston

You'll have to look hard, there aren't many around.

I'm actually the contractor for the (just retired), editor of their newspaper...or online thingy as it probably is now.

You're right Boston,

There's about 15,000 - 60,000 Quakers in Britian today and around 375,000+ worldwide.

in the mid 1600s it was illegal to be a Quaker in Boston, MA - and four Quakers were hanged for their faith.

The newspaper is called Friends Journal. Small world.

Small world.

Getting older on 16:49 - Feb 12 with 800 viewsBoston

Getting older on 16:33 - Feb 12 by smudgehoop

You're right Boston,

There's about 15,000 - 60,000 Quakers in Britian today and around 375,000+ worldwide.

in the mid 1600s it was illegal to be a Quaker in Boston, MA - and four Quakers were hanged for their faith.

The newspaper is called Friends Journal. Small world.

Small world.

On a positive. Distort does live on the Isle of Man, well positioned if he wants to take up whaling

Getting older on 16:51 - Feb 12 with 795 viewsBoston

Getting older on 15:23 - Feb 12 by CFW

Said before I thought this was an interesting post and has been a good read. I find it quite sad that within a few years there will be no one still alive who lived through the second world war, my mum, even though her short term memory is zero can still remember and talk about being evacuated and having virtually no schooling for the most important years of her life.

People like my parents and in laws were luck to own their houses and honestly thought they would go out of the door feet first, no thought whatsoever about not being unable to live on their own when one was left on their own. Obviously, years ago people did not live well into their 90's and not sure I really remember care homes or assisted living places that are available now.

Having experience and witnessing this first hand I am now starting to plan ahead, things like getting our POA in place, looking to downside our house, do we need two cars, etc etc. My mum lives in a beautiful McCarthy & Stone one bed flat, she is safe and help is on tap should it be required. The downside is it is very, very expensive. Loftboy has already mentioned on this thread the costs involved and my in-laws spent close of £200,000 on care home fees which was only affordable by the sale of their home.

Can I please just beg any of our older friends who post on this site that if you ever consider taking out an Equity Release on your property please, please rethink and don't do it.

Within a few years there will be no one still alive who lived through the Rangers being a good team!

Getting older on 17:09 - Feb 12 with 776 viewsdistortR

Getting older on 16:49 - Feb 12 by Boston

On a positive. Distort does live on the Isle of Man, well positioned if he wants to take up whaling

I hope that's not an aside at the local ladies in an island where chips, cheese and gravy is the national dish...................
Smudge - drink problem? it was just that night, honestly................
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024