Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting older 23:07 - Feb 8 with 9035 viewsWatfordR

So I'm sure some of you may have paid some attention to my occasional rants and may know that I'm into my second 50 years of following my beloved Hoops. And it is my fervent intention to complete that second 50 years to add to the first. You'll maybe be surprised if you've ever read any of my posts to learn that I am actually in most respects more glass half full than half empty. I do secretly believe that one day we will put right the wrongs of 1975-76 and claim our spot at the summit of English football. Yes yes I know...but you have to believe.

I've also always believed I'll live forever. I actually enjoy being here too much, despite the inevitable knockbacks of life. The idea I'll die some day really has never really occurred to me. The fact that bit by bit my body reminds me I'm getting older...well, in my head I'm still 26. Why 26 and not 25 I've no idea. It's always been 26. Who that bugger is looking back at me in the bathroom mirror each morning, I've no clue. The world still worships at my feet. Seriously.

So where's all this going? Well. Over the last few years, I have come to know of a few people who suffer from degenerative illness. A couple who were friends of my mother in law. Sadly, more recently, my mum, primarily as a result of being involved in a road accident going to her pilates class at the age of 89. She's coming up to 95 now. A good friend of mine whose mum died just recently after years suffering from dementia. And I've just watched an interview with Bryan Murray, who some may remember from a TV programme called The Irish RM, or slightly more recently as the incestuous Trevor Jordache in Brookside. He has been diagnosed with dementia, and although in the early stages, the effects of the disease are there to see, although subtly at this stage. The interview was with Tommy Tiernan by the way, best show of its kind in my opinion. Some great interviews over the years. But I digress.

That interview suddenly brought home to me that despite all my natural optimism, despite my inclination to believe that everything will be alright for me, because generally I've always been fairly robust health wise, despite all that...I dread the idea of succumbing to a degenerative disease like alzheimers or dementia. More than almost any other illness that might strike me. Not for my own selfish reasons, but because of the way it erodes and changes relationships with those around you. I've seen how all the happy memories of a life you've had with someone can be lost or overwritten by the gradual decline of your mental faculties, and it frightens me. I wouldn't want to put my wife, kids or grandkids through any of it, but I'm aware that it's something I might ultimately have no control over. Thankfully, thankfully, nothing to suggest I have anything to worry about on that score, just to be clear.

I guess the point of this thread is to throw it open to us Rangers fans of a certain age, to give an opportunity to any of us who are becoming conscious of/worried about perhaps no longer being the axis of the universe we always thought we were, to voice and/or discuss the concerns or fears we have about getting on a bit. Either on this thread or by PM.

To round off, I'm reminded of a joke I heard many years ago. A man goes to the doctor who tells him " I've got your results back and it's not good news I'm afraid. You have cancer and you also have alzheimers." To which the man replies "Well I suppose it could be worse. I could have cancer"

Well I laughed. Back when I was younger....
Getting older on 21:05 - Feb 9 with 1788 viewshantssi

Getting older on 16:21 - Feb 9 by CFW

Very interesting and thought provoking thread. I have supported the Hoops since 1964 so clearly I am no spring chicken. One of my grandchildren asked me the other week if I wished I was 40 years younger - my answer surprised her. I was born (in my opinion) at a fantastic time and would not change that for anything. The war was over, cost of living was cheap and under control, people did not expect anything other than a basic life. When I was at school I honestly can only remember a hand full of pupils who were bought up by a single parent. I do not recall any vegetarians, vegans or people with nut allergies. Gluten free? what was that?? If you had a fall out with someone, it was settled with a punch up and friends afterwards. After school or during the holidays we were out on our bikes playing football, cricket or going for a hike - out in the morning back for tea and out till it was getting dark.

Left school - no one I knew went to University (so no pressure to pass exams), loads of jobs, apprenticeships on tap along with other jobs that offered training and a career path. Could dink and drive (glad that was stopped), smoke in cinemas, on busses, trains and even on an airplane. I am not saying that was right but the world was a different place then.

The average age to pass away was much lower than now, my grandparents were all gone by the time they were mid 70's, I have no idea what the average age is now but the vast majority of older folk are only kept alive by the advancement of medicines. My mum will be 97 next month, her ability to remember things is non existent, repeats herself and asks the same questions over and over again. I have the responsibility of making sure she is taken care of which is fine but I am no spring chicken myself.

So, do I forget things now? - yes, am I slower? - yes, do I want to be younger? hell no!!!

Sounds very similar to my life, mum is 90 in June.
Dad died at 79 about 14 years ago of dementia and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
Had this conversation recently and we all agreed would not want to be early 20’s again.
Hoping to semi-retire next year at 63, don’t want to give up completely just yet as I think I’d miss the company (not the firm!).
Getting older on 21:15 - Feb 9 with 1767 viewsStreathamRanger

My dad is 90. Currently in palliative care. Fell over at home and couldn't get up. 2 weeks in St George's hospital. MRI scan showed he has bowel cancer. Too old and frail to do anything about it. We managed to get him out of hospital and into a care home. He's drugged up and delirious most of the time. Seems a real shame we can't help people die a bit more easily when they're so obviously on their last legs. He could be like this for another few weeks or months even. There's no quality of life. A sad way to go.

At the same time my mum turns 75 this year and she's got dementia. She's fading fast and it's frightening how vulnerable she is. Sadly she's in denial at the moment and really struggling with accepting any help we're trying to put in place for her. It really is the cruellest of conditions. With everything going on with my dad she's becoming more and more confused. Although they're separated they've always remained good friends and would see a lot of each other. My mum is somewhat lost without that routine in her life.

Fortunately we're a big family and we've all pulled together to support each other as best we can. Life seems cruel at the moment but I try not to lose sight of the fact that there are many people suffering more and there's plenty to be grateful for. QPR and there pathetic recent efforts have really taken a back seat over the last 5 or 6 weeks.
Getting older on 21:36 - Feb 9 with 1737 viewsted_hendrix

Getting older on 21:05 - Feb 9 by hantssi

Sounds very similar to my life, mum is 90 in June.
Dad died at 79 about 14 years ago of dementia and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
Had this conversation recently and we all agreed would not want to be early 20’s again.
Hoping to semi-retire next year at 63, don’t want to give up completely just yet as I think I’d miss the company (not the firm!).

Listen mate, I can't give advice regarding retiring but I'll give It a go under my circumstances at the time.
Back In 1966 I got my first job and It was tea boy on a construction site at the age of 16, I'd only just been released from being 'sentenced' to a Year In an 'Approved School' and I was allowed to go back home.
After the second week the Site Manager told me to come In to work Saturday morning, when I got home I told me old Man sod that I aint working on a Saturday and he went bloody mad and lectured me about working and earning money whenever you got the chance blah--blah but those words of his stuck with me forever.
Moving on----I spent nigh on 40 Years working for the same Construction Company, I was due to retire In 2015 but for the life of me I still don't know why but I felt okay so I just carried on working because I could, the early part of 2018 and Mrs Ted said It was high time I retired and I duly did.
What a mistake I made, It was absolute bliss that first Monday morning not going to work and It's been bloody bliss ever since.
I still wish now I had retired at the age of 65 and not 68 I regret It badly, my old Dad was 100% correct with his advice back In 1966 because he had It bloody hard and came through bad and hard times.

It's just me talking but take It from me (and yes I worked bloody hard and put a shift In) but retirement is a bloody godsend, and I lost three years of It like a fool.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Getting older on 21:41 - Feb 9 with 1724 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m nearly 40 and I need to give the old lad a few more shakes and a squeeze than I used to. I remember being able to piss over 6ft walls.

Enjoying the grey hair though. Convincing myself I’m going to look to George Clooney in the near future. My missus has suggested I’m more Rooney than Clooney.
Getting older on 22:37 - Feb 9 with 1671 viewsMrSheen

Getting older on 21:36 - Feb 9 by ted_hendrix

Listen mate, I can't give advice regarding retiring but I'll give It a go under my circumstances at the time.
Back In 1966 I got my first job and It was tea boy on a construction site at the age of 16, I'd only just been released from being 'sentenced' to a Year In an 'Approved School' and I was allowed to go back home.
After the second week the Site Manager told me to come In to work Saturday morning, when I got home I told me old Man sod that I aint working on a Saturday and he went bloody mad and lectured me about working and earning money whenever you got the chance blah--blah but those words of his stuck with me forever.
Moving on----I spent nigh on 40 Years working for the same Construction Company, I was due to retire In 2015 but for the life of me I still don't know why but I felt okay so I just carried on working because I could, the early part of 2018 and Mrs Ted said It was high time I retired and I duly did.
What a mistake I made, It was absolute bliss that first Monday morning not going to work and It's been bloody bliss ever since.
I still wish now I had retired at the age of 65 and not 68 I regret It badly, my old Dad was 100% correct with his advice back In 1966 because he had It bloody hard and came through bad and hard times.

It's just me talking but take It from me (and yes I worked bloody hard and put a shift In) but retirement is a bloody godsend, and I lost three years of It like a fool.

Rather than have a set time for retirement I’ve been thinking about how to have a life without regrets. There are definitely things I want to see and do after working - I have this strong intention to drive around Tennessee that I don’t quite understand - but to be honest, I could do pretty much anything I wanted now if it really meant so much to me. I don’t want to die now, particularly as I want to support my family emotionally for a while yet if I can (they might be better off financially if I went now!), but if it happens I wouldn’t think there was anything I wished I’d said or restitution undone or other women I wished I’d been with. My brother has never got over my father dying because they weren’t on good terms when it happened and he feels ashamed that he can’t ever settle it.
Getting older on 22:41 - Feb 9 with 1667 viewsloftboy

56 in a couple of months, just waiting for my appointment to have a knee replaced.
My mum is 89 in a few weeks, in a care home , bed bound and with dementia, visited Tuesday and can’t remember me going in, zero quality of life and being charged £7000 a month for the privilege.
My dad died two years ago aged 88 with all his faculties still in tact.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Getting older on 22:47 - Feb 9 with 1664 viewsstowmarketrange

Getting older on 22:41 - Feb 9 by loftboy

56 in a couple of months, just waiting for my appointment to have a knee replaced.
My mum is 89 in a few weeks, in a care home , bed bound and with dementia, visited Tuesday and can’t remember me going in, zero quality of life and being charged £7000 a month for the privilege.
My dad died two years ago aged 88 with all his faculties still in tact.

I didn’t think they replaced knees in someone so young, as there may well be another replacement due in 15-20 years time?
Getting older on 22:53 - Feb 9 with 1648 viewsloftboy

Getting older on 22:47 - Feb 9 by stowmarketrange

I didn’t think they replaced knees in someone so young, as there may well be another replacement due in 15-20 years time?

Had 7 weeks off work with what they thought was strained ligaments, went for an MRI last week and the results came back as a severely torn Miniscus, no cartilage left whatsoever behind the knee and other things that until I see the surgeon have no idea what they mean!
It’s a fallacy you have to be a certain age and is used as a means of saving money and nothing else, I’m in agony at night and am struggling to do my job and normal mundane things. Sooner I can get back to normal the better my life will be.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 22:54]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Getting older on 22:54 - Feb 9 with 1644 viewsstowmarketrange

Getting older on 22:37 - Feb 9 by MrSheen

Rather than have a set time for retirement I’ve been thinking about how to have a life without regrets. There are definitely things I want to see and do after working - I have this strong intention to drive around Tennessee that I don’t quite understand - but to be honest, I could do pretty much anything I wanted now if it really meant so much to me. I don’t want to die now, particularly as I want to support my family emotionally for a while yet if I can (they might be better off financially if I went now!), but if it happens I wouldn’t think there was anything I wished I’d said or restitution undone or other women I wished I’d been with. My brother has never got over my father dying because they weren’t on good terms when it happened and he feels ashamed that he can’t ever settle it.

It’s a shame when families argue and split up,but I can’t speak about others personal circumstances,so I’m only speaking from my own experiences.I was lucky that my parents were always there for us,despite their own faults.
My dad finally retired at 67 1/2,but only lasted 6 months before cancer got him,and my mum had a few years of retirement before also getting lung cancer at 79.
Getting older on 22:56 - Feb 9 with 1640 viewsstowmarketrange

Getting older on 22:53 - Feb 9 by loftboy

Had 7 weeks off work with what they thought was strained ligaments, went for an MRI last week and the results came back as a severely torn Miniscus, no cartilage left whatsoever behind the knee and other things that until I see the surgeon have no idea what they mean!
It’s a fallacy you have to be a certain age and is used as a means of saving money and nothing else, I’m in agony at night and am struggling to do my job and normal mundane things. Sooner I can get back to normal the better my life will be.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 22:54]

Good luck with your operation and a return to a pain free existence mate.I hope it goes well for you.
Getting older on 23:28 - Feb 9 with 1596 viewsLblock

Getting older on 08:25 - Feb 9 by stevec

Dementia touches so many families these days and it’s become a game changer.

Quite funny to see the government getting themselves worked up about the near million over 50’s who have voluntarily become ‘economically inactive’. People who by definition aren’t drawing benefits but deciding to enjoy their life and any little wealth they’ve managed to accumulate.

Spent a lot of time over the last decade amongst those with dementia and when my mum wasn’t particularly communicative, would chat with the other residents. I lost count the number of times, talking about the weather, how to work the remote control, all the mundane stuff, out of the blue they’d skip temporarily back to reality and overwhelmingly they’d reflect on not their own situation but the fact that everything they’d worked for was being stripped away from them by the state essentially when they’d lived to know they could help provide for their sons and daughters when they had gone. Knowing that had been taking out of their hands and their reflection on why they had even bothered, you couldn’t help be glad for them when they slipped back into la la land.

Think oldies have woken up to this. Build what you can over your younger life but when you sense you’ve reached your own personal summit and can see the potential journey downhill, then stop building and enjoy what you’ve got from thereon in. If there’s anything left at the end, great, but I’ve told my kids, when I stop making sense, put me in a Rangers shirt, a pair of white shorts and on the coldest night of the year, sit me down in our local park. Anything please that keeps me out of the care system.

Brilliant stuff

I cannot see me carrying on what I do for another decade.
As soon as I can I’m going all “QPR player” and putting the cue on the rack but recent financial decisions mean not for a while yet but…. Just recently the stress has reached biblical levels however I think that’s maybe as I’m slowing up and not as robust as I was.

Previously my fear was not having enough to afford retirement; now it’s not retiring early enough to enjoy it.
You put it far better than I could!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Getting older on 23:51 - Feb 9 with 1571 viewsted_hendrix

Getting older on 22:37 - Feb 9 by MrSheen

If It's any help Mr Sheen all my road trips were done whilst I was working, It can be done but you do need an understanding Mrs.
First road trip was Arizona by myself, my fascination with the American Indian and their way of life and how badly they were treated, some of the burial grounds were nothing short of stunning.
Second one also by myself was Memphis Tennessee where I based myself, unfortunately It was a disaster as I made the terrifying mistake of driving into the 'wrong side of town' and had to leave PDQ that's a story for another day.
Third one was with my youngest Son and we did the New Orleans to Memphis road trip which was just awesome, stood in silence by the Mississippi River just taking It all in, the music, the history of the poor bloody slaves, It's all there, everything I read about Years previously.
Fourth one was also with my youngest Son and we done the Texas road trip, Texas Is huge and I mean bloody huge.

Easy to talk I know but If you get the chance to do things while you can (and If you can) then possibly do It.

It's not being selfish and providing your not causing grief at home ???

I was lucky I got me a good and understanding Mrs Ted Fifty years ago.

We all get on great me the Mrs and me two lads and that's how I'll keep It.

Many years ago I fell out badly and big time with me Dad, he was living In Cornwall so I used to call him on the phone regular, we had a right old row once so I hung up.
Me Brother called me after a while and asked If I had apologised and I said no and I aint gonna, he told me to call the old Man swallow my stupid pride and apologise and after a couple of day's thankfully that's what I did.
Word of warning to anybody reading this, don't fall out with your family members just don't.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 23:55]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Getting older on 00:02 - Feb 10 with 1530 viewsstanistheman

Getting older on 04:34 - Feb 9 by CLAREMAN1995

I wish I could vote up a few times TomS that last line is perfect.
I strongly support the patients right to go to the next life / Promised Land once its past the point of no return .While I understand the fear in the medical community that people
with terminal illness could be taken advantage of this option should be common place IMO.
Sadly the patient with advanced Dementia is obvlious to their condition but the care givers are distraught .Its not called the long goodbye for nothing.
However the curse that is known over here as ALS or in Europe as Motor Neuron Disease is the cruelest of all with the patients brain staying active while the body basically destroys itself.
My neighbour 55 and perfectly healthy was struggling to breath for a few weeks .It was not heart or lung issues just advanced ALS.It skipped all the muscle weakness issues and attacked his lungs .This is normally late in the progression but its so cruel it hit him that way.
Came home with Oxygen tanks ,called his 3 kids in ,said his goodbyes ,kissed his wife told her she was his reason for living and did not want to go out the way we see in EVERY case
After they all fell asleep he switched off his oxygen and drifted on .RIP

That is sad about your neighbor. ALS/ MND is a living hell and I would do the same and go as peacefully as I can rather than try and fight it.

The law needs changing to allow those with terminal illnesses to die with dignity rather than having to go to a Swiss clinic.

dementia/ Alzheimers , Parkinson's and Multiple Sclerosis are all degenerative curses too.
Cancer is another evil that destroys sufferers and their families friends and carers.
Getting older on 00:09 - Feb 10 with 1524 viewsdistortR

Getting older on 23:51 - Feb 9 by ted_hendrix

If It's any help Mr Sheen all my road trips were done whilst I was working, It can be done but you do need an understanding Mrs.
First road trip was Arizona by myself, my fascination with the American Indian and their way of life and how badly they were treated, some of the burial grounds were nothing short of stunning.
Second one also by myself was Memphis Tennessee where I based myself, unfortunately It was a disaster as I made the terrifying mistake of driving into the 'wrong side of town' and had to leave PDQ that's a story for another day.
Third one was with my youngest Son and we did the New Orleans to Memphis road trip which was just awesome, stood in silence by the Mississippi River just taking It all in, the music, the history of the poor bloody slaves, It's all there, everything I read about Years previously.
Fourth one was also with my youngest Son and we done the Texas road trip, Texas Is huge and I mean bloody huge.

Easy to talk I know but If you get the chance to do things while you can (and If you can) then possibly do It.

It's not being selfish and providing your not causing grief at home ???

I was lucky I got me a good and understanding Mrs Ted Fifty years ago.

We all get on great me the Mrs and me two lads and that's how I'll keep It.

Many years ago I fell out badly and big time with me Dad, he was living In Cornwall so I used to call him on the phone regular, we had a right old row once so I hung up.
Me Brother called me after a while and asked If I had apologised and I said no and I aint gonna, he told me to call the old Man swallow my stupid pride and apologise and after a couple of day's thankfully that's what I did.
Word of warning to anybody reading this, don't fall out with your family members just don't.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 23:55]

yeah, my Dad's last words to me were effectively telling me that I was, basically, a disappointment. Now, I get that, but some things are best left unsaid! Keep things on good terms, you don't know whats round the corner. My last words to my great friend and fellow QPR fan joe, were, "Love you, mate". That gives me consolation.
getting older, not enjoying it really. Not had the money to see the places that I'd like to, but that has, I believe, helped me to appreciate what's near to me more.
I used to be scared of dying, but these last few years I struggle to sleep, so I get comfort - "We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life, is rounded with a sleep".
State pension only in 10 + years time, always thought it'd be ok as I could keep doing a couple of days a week, but 35 years + of flogging my body is now is now causing an increasing amount of problems, keep telling my kids to start a pension plan early, just get it going.
On the plus side, I really appreciate dahlias now!
Getting older on 01:01 - Feb 10 with 1495 viewssmudgehoop

Getting older on 08:49 - Feb 9 by loftus77

Crikey...this thread is totally depressing, totally thought-provoking and totally inspiring all at the same time.

I just wish I could say none of it was relevant to me...

Well put.

Having had a stroke at a birth (making me paralysed down the right hand side of my body) I then had my second stroke at 35. At that point I thought I was done for, so quit my job, sold my flat, and went on a massive 2 year bender of drugs and alcohol hoping that would finally kill me off.

It didn't and I ended up with a 3-year custodial sentence at HMP Lincoln. That's when, inside prison I became a non-Christian Quaker and turned my life around.

I'm now 47 and despite all the crap life throws at you, every day is a blessing.

Not being able to attend games due to my disabilities, I take pleasure in listening to Nick and Andy plus reading this board and interacting with its great community of people.

Yes QPR are crap at the moment, but some of the memories I have of Rangers are some of my fondest life memories and I'm convinced the Rs will make me have more great memories in the future - just maybe not this season!

The last actual game I attended in the flesh was the final home game of the season when we won the championship under Warnock, it was against Leeds IIRC.

That day is my favourite ever Rangers memory and will live with me forever (from the faurlin announcement in the morning, to every person waving a flag during the match and then being a part of the pitch invasion at the end). Blissful.

There are countless others - such as the, literally rocking South Africa Road stand , Oldham playoff at HQ or the time I got an invite to the director's box and ended up getting sozzled on the free wine.

A huge part of me yearns to go back to HQ for a match, but another part of me thinks that if I did go back I would pine for the health I had when I used to be a season ticket holder in the East Paddocks back in my 20s.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go back one day and here's to the great memories of QPR yet to come.

Getting older on 01:27 - Feb 10 with 1472 viewsPunteR

47 in a few months. No pension plan, no assets, live hand to mouth. I just hope I'm around long enough for all 3 of my kids to support themselves.
I'm starting to feel it though. 30 years in construction is taking its toll. Plus my eye sight has rapidly gone to blurry shit.
My mum has been diagnosed with parkinsons and is rapidly going down hill and my dad since retirement has turned into an old man over night. Neither are that old tbh. Both 69. Next 10 years will be interesting..
I dunno what I'm writing about tbh . I'm middle age I guess and maybe I'm fully immersed into mid life crisis mode. I'm just trying to enjoy life now really.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Getting older on 07:29 - Feb 10 with 1383 viewsdistortR

Getting older on 01:27 - Feb 10 by PunteR

47 in a few months. No pension plan, no assets, live hand to mouth. I just hope I'm around long enough for all 3 of my kids to support themselves.
I'm starting to feel it though. 30 years in construction is taking its toll. Plus my eye sight has rapidly gone to blurry shit.
My mum has been diagnosed with parkinsons and is rapidly going down hill and my dad since retirement has turned into an old man over night. Neither are that old tbh. Both 69. Next 10 years will be interesting..
I dunno what I'm writing about tbh . I'm middle age I guess and maybe I'm fully immersed into mid life crisis mode. I'm just trying to enjoy life now really.

ha ha, the skilled manual workers lament! Sounds like me, but you've got youth on your side!!
Getting older on 07:31 - Feb 10 with 1376 viewsdistortR

Getting older on 01:01 - Feb 10 by smudgehoop

Well put.

Having had a stroke at a birth (making me paralysed down the right hand side of my body) I then had my second stroke at 35. At that point I thought I was done for, so quit my job, sold my flat, and went on a massive 2 year bender of drugs and alcohol hoping that would finally kill me off.

It didn't and I ended up with a 3-year custodial sentence at HMP Lincoln. That's when, inside prison I became a non-Christian Quaker and turned my life around.

I'm now 47 and despite all the crap life throws at you, every day is a blessing.

Not being able to attend games due to my disabilities, I take pleasure in listening to Nick and Andy plus reading this board and interacting with its great community of people.

Yes QPR are crap at the moment, but some of the memories I have of Rangers are some of my fondest life memories and I'm convinced the Rs will make me have more great memories in the future - just maybe not this season!

The last actual game I attended in the flesh was the final home game of the season when we won the championship under Warnock, it was against Leeds IIRC.

That day is my favourite ever Rangers memory and will live with me forever (from the faurlin announcement in the morning, to every person waving a flag during the match and then being a part of the pitch invasion at the end). Blissful.

There are countless others - such as the, literally rocking South Africa Road stand , Oldham playoff at HQ or the time I got an invite to the director's box and ended up getting sozzled on the free wine.

A huge part of me yearns to go back to HQ for a match, but another part of me thinks that if I did go back I would pine for the health I had when I used to be a season ticket holder in the East Paddocks back in my 20s.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go back one day and here's to the great memories of QPR yet to come.

Great stuff mate, puts my whiskey-fuelled self pity into context!
What's a non-christian Quaker?
I've always said, if I found religion, i'd probably be a Quaker.
Getting older on 09:05 - Feb 10 with 1291 viewsslmrstid

Getting older on 20:56 - Feb 9 by GaryBannister86

Well, as for many fans around our age, I have one extraordinary loss of memory. It is a bit frustrating because I can clearly remember turning Liverpool over in the Semi Final of the League cup over two legs. Fabulous. But then? Just goes completely blank.

Lovely thread to read.

I also, in regards to replying to this post, love the idea that the 1986 League Cup Final being a non-event will be a running joke in the QPR world until the end of time.
Getting older on 15:46 - Feb 10 with 1158 viewsPinnerPaul

Getting older on 21:15 - Feb 9 by StreathamRanger

My dad is 90. Currently in palliative care. Fell over at home and couldn't get up. 2 weeks in St George's hospital. MRI scan showed he has bowel cancer. Too old and frail to do anything about it. We managed to get him out of hospital and into a care home. He's drugged up and delirious most of the time. Seems a real shame we can't help people die a bit more easily when they're so obviously on their last legs. He could be like this for another few weeks or months even. There's no quality of life. A sad way to go.

At the same time my mum turns 75 this year and she's got dementia. She's fading fast and it's frightening how vulnerable she is. Sadly she's in denial at the moment and really struggling with accepting any help we're trying to put in place for her. It really is the cruellest of conditions. With everything going on with my dad she's becoming more and more confused. Although they're separated they've always remained good friends and would see a lot of each other. My mum is somewhat lost without that routine in her life.

Fortunately we're a big family and we've all pulled together to support each other as best we can. Life seems cruel at the moment but I try not to lose sight of the fact that there are many people suffering more and there's plenty to be grateful for. QPR and there pathetic recent efforts have really taken a back seat over the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Take care - you just have to try to take each day as it comes and deal with what that throws at you. Good to have family support - that must help a lot.
Getting older on 16:34 - Feb 10 with 1130 viewsStreathamRanger

Getting older on 15:46 - Feb 10 by PinnerPaul

Take care - you just have to try to take each day as it comes and deal with what that throws at you. Good to have family support - that must help a lot.

Thanks Paul. He's gone down hill quite a lot in the last 48 hours. Palliative care nurse says he's now in the dying phase. By that she means he has maybe a few days left. He shouldn't be in any pain, he will just stop breathing at some point. A lot to get my head around but I'm glad he won't suffer too much longer.
Getting older on 17:29 - Feb 10 with 1099 viewsrobith

Getting older on 20:18 - Feb 9 by Sonofpugwash

I worry I may never visit LR again.A degenerative spine condition where the material between the vertebrae wears away makes it very difficult to walk plus managed to fall off a ladder onto an unforgiving slate floor and busted up some other stuff.I may have prostate and colon cancers now.
So sad,started supporting R's in 1963 at White City.LR was a revelation,that walk up the steps for the first time from the gloom of the Ellerslie to the first glimpse of the sunlit pitch and the noise of the crowd was the most incredible kick in the head.What initially did LR for me (1964)was an article in the Daily Express - The journalist was a first time visitor and asked a local how to get to Loftus Road ....told "turn right by the hot dog stand" and later on in the article pronounced "few teams in my experience could match their bouts of one touch passing.You'd do well to turn right by the hot dog stand where soccer is sizzling"
It's a long shlep from mid Wales,never thought I'd get like this but there you go.Am still called upon to do projects,just finished a downstairs bathroom,good exercise.
Keep your brain active,computer games are a must. My partner Joanna (no spring chicken either) is getting me into Skyrim and Fallout.
Maybe I'll get one of them blue badge thingies and wander up,or I'll just have to annoy you lot from a distance.

"I was an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee"

If you don't know that from SKyrim yet....oh boy will you
Getting older on 18:06 - Feb 10 with 1052 viewsPinnerPaul

Getting older on 16:34 - Feb 10 by StreathamRanger

Thanks Paul. He's gone down hill quite a lot in the last 48 hours. Palliative care nurse says he's now in the dying phase. By that she means he has maybe a few days left. He shouldn't be in any pain, he will just stop breathing at some point. A lot to get my head around but I'm glad he won't suffer too much longer.

So sorry to hear that, its not easy I know.
Getting older on 18:16 - Feb 10 with 1037 viewspaulparker

Getting older on 01:27 - Feb 10 by PunteR

See you Saturday PunteR , we will roll back the years mate don’t worry

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Getting older on 18:26 - Feb 10 with 1033 viewspaulparker

Just started notice my own mortality recently especially the last year after having radiation treatment, you then see the likes of Vialli etc going to cancer in his fifties and it does make you think about those types of things and how long you got
After reading about some of the posters on here and what they are going through I do count my lucky stars and I’m still 19 in my head when I go out on the beers
Looking to retire in 8-9 years and move to Spain or Cyprus none of that cold damp stuff for moi
Again I’m lucky I have a small mortgage a good job that pays well so I think I’m going to reach my goal of clearing off by the age 57 and seeing my days on the golf course
The key to remember is we are here for a good time not a long time
My only regret will be not following QPR in Europe oh and not shagging enough women when I had the chance

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024